2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Oh absolutely, but that wasn't what I was responding to. I was replying to the question 'does every generation have to get bigger'

The MDX is only 190 long but is 78 inches wide! The RDX is a tiny 180 long and 74 wide (from memory) so this car is bigger or wider than both of our SUVs. I was making the point that it needed to grow to have an acceptable amount of interior space with the AWD drivetrain added.

Fair enough, Colin. As always, you make good points.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new Maxima is actually shorter, more narrow, but has a much larger trunk.
I don't know how much room it has in the rear compared to the TL, but since I don't have a family, it is a non-issue for me.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by rick sambora
Should a car always get bigger with each passing generation? I mean in 10 years do we expect this car to be longer than a football field?
I think the TL has been stripped off its sporty look. I cant say much about the performance since I have not driven it yet.
My wife owns a TL and I have loved its size and sporty look. I own a 04 maxima and always thought that Nissan had screwed up by making it expansive and robbing it off its legend.
Well 5 years down the line, guess what? Acura has done the same to its soon to be legendary 3rd gen TL. It has come a full circle, the max has gotten shorter, wider,faster and sportier. Trust me when I say this---RIDES AND FEELS AS GOOD AS THE TL TYPE S(current gen).
Now that we are both in the market again for cars. She is going the BMW route and I will probably go with the maxima. I will however drive the TL to see if the drive/performance/handling can make me get over the size and exterior.
I'm not too sure if the CVT in the new Maxima is what you want. From the reviews I have read so far, most of them complain about the lack of manual transmission option to choose from, or a traditional AT. And apparently the CVT is one of the reasons why the 290hp Max could only manage to do a 14.5@98mph in the 1/4 mile according to C&D. Actually with that time, I'm not too sure if it's faster than before. If I remember correctly the older 6MT max could run the 1/4mile in low 14's.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Well, I don't know if its "unbelievable" but we've seen it before. Remember life before the MDX? HMC was the last to jump into the crossover SUV craze. Remember the first Accord V-6? Honda was blind sided by the Camry V-6 and had to rush and cram the old Legend 2.7 liter into the car while they finished up development on the J series.

By the same token, Honda has led the way with other products: First all aluminum chassis, first to comply with 1975 US Clean Air Act, first hybrid, first practical fuel cell, first with 4 wheel steer, first Japanese to set up a US factory...

Honda is going to do what Honda wants to do. This spirit of independence is what attracted many of us to the brand. Now it seems that everyone wants Honda to follow what everyone else does (RWD, V-8, Turbos for example) I can only wonder; if they were doing this all along, would we have been captivated by the brand?
The only thing that can really push Honda to do what it didn't initially want to do is a declining sales figure for that particular model.

For example,

5G Accord -- Honda had to spent millions of $ to shoehorn a 2.7L-V6 into the not-designed-for-a-V6 Accord engine bay, to rescue falling sales from buyers flocking to the Camry's with torquer V6 engines.

7G Accord -- Honda virtually had to redesign the complete rear end of the car during the MMC update, again from falling sales due to the unpopular rear end.

Acura SLX -- A rebadge Isuzu Trooper that left nothing but bad taste for the Acura brand, just because Honda wanted to capitalize on the buyers trend of switching from cars to trucks.

Acura RL -- Two words : too expensive. Honda tried to rescue sales by releasing a cheaper reduced content version afterwards. But it was too little, too late.

So the only way to get the message through to Honda effectively is to stop buying that car.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
Colin- A car does not have to necessarily get bigger to accomodate the AWD platform. When BMW,Merc,Infiniti, Audi etc. can incorporate AWD functionality in shorter cars(relative to the new TL), why cant acura do the same. A 1-2 inch increase in dimensions is acceptable as it still retains the overall feel of the previous generation.
Also in your post you have clearly reinforced the importance of keeping the size in check. The 2G-->3g decrease in size resulted in one of the best handling/sporty 4 dr FWD sedan that honda has produced.

iforyou- I undertsand your concern for the CVT. I would suggest that you test drive the car yourself before you write it off. My 04 max is a 6sp MT. It has been a fun car. But with increasing gas prices and worsening traffic situations, I think the MT will soon be obsolete. The CVT is the way of the future if you like it or not. The CVT doesnt have the "in control" feeling of an MT but it definitely is better than many AT out there. I had test driven the one with the paddle shifters and the Ds mode is amazing for downshifts when coming out of the corners. Once again it is not like driving a MT but I am sure you will not miss this much. My last two cars have both been MT(11 years of driving stick shifts) and I still liked the CVT. One of the complaints that people had with the previous gen CVTs was that they go dud after about 80mph and feel very elastic after. This has been tackled very well as the car continues to pull up until 115mph(my max speed during the test drive). The advantage of infinite gear ratios is precise engine response whenever you need it.
Now there would be people out there who would hate the CVT to death and will never let go of the MT obsession. That is fine as everyone has a right to having an opinion.
With regards to the 1/4 mile time and the 0-60, I have seen variable numbers from many different sources. I have read about 0-60 times of 5.8-6.1 and 1/4 mile times ranging from low 14s to mid 14s. Frankly, in real world situations the .1-.2 sec differences are not readily discernible.
In summary this is an exciting time for car buyers as most of the major manufacturers have truly raised the bar. Acura won by a mile in 2004 with there futuristic design and innovative technology. Lets see if it will retain that or someone else will stand up and be counted.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by rick sambora
Colin- A car does not have to necessarily get bigger to accomodate the AWD platform. When BMW,Merc,Infiniti, Audi etc. can incorporate AWD functionality in shorter cars(relative to the new TL), why cant acura do the same...

....The 2G-->3g decrease in size resulted in one of the best handling/sporty 4 dr FWD sedan that honda has produced.
Acura is probably responding the the criticism that they received for the tightness of the RL interior. The SH differential is pretty large, and it takes up space that might have been fuel tank space or trunk space. Adding this to the mix would have meant less space somewhere in the car. If they reduced the interior space to add AWD you would hear different people complaining. In the end you can't please everybody.

Dispite the increased size, all indications are that the new car will out handle the old car. We'll have to wait and see for ourselves how well it runs.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

rick sambora, I agree that CVT is efficient and many cars will use it. In fact, many small Japanese cars use CVT. However, for sportier vehicles, I think dual-clutch technology is more widely used, as seen by numerous VW/Audi products and the might GT-R. From the spy videos, it also seems like the NSX successor will have such gearbox too. Another common choice for sporty cars, besides MT, is automated manual, like the selespeed from Alfa Romeo, F1 from Ferrari, SMG from BMW.

I just think that, the new Maxima is intended to be sportier than the previous gen, and I'm sure many people who like sportier cars would still prefer MT over CVT. I mean having CVT is great, but MT should be an option too to satisfy different people.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 09 TL is really ugly, I would prefer the 09 TSX over the 2 cars.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ahhhhh finallly a nice picture of the new black they are using... I like what i see, will defintely be getting me another NBP (now called crystal black pearl). Looks very CLEANN!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
How do you go from this

TO THIS, and think it looks good?

This is when Acura had it right, they should IMPROVE on this, not go off the fucking map

Seriously WTF is this?
X2.
Couldn't have said it any better either!
This is what happens when Honda decides to move their design dept to the US and hire a bunch of college interns to design luxury cars. Once I'm done with my TL I'm moving on to a non Honda/Acura product.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM
whut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
So the only way to get the message through to Honda effectively is to stop buying that car.
Unlike Subaru, who upgraded the WRX after listening to just one year of bitching from Scooby enthusiasts (even though '08 sales were very good).

Go figure...
Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Even if they won't admit it, people are biased towards Hondas/Acuras. Despite looking like an abomination on wheels, people will still buy it because its an Acura, and because its a TL. Chances are they've had a Honda/Acura before and will get the TL just because. As sad as it is, this car will sell, but hopefully nowhere near as well as the previous gens did.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Even if they won't admit it, people are biased towards Hondas/Acuras. Despite looking like an abomination on wheels, people will still buy it because its an Acura, and because its a TL. Chances are they've had a Honda/Acura before and will get the TL just because. As sad as it is, this car will sell, but hopefully nowhere near as well as the previous gens did.
I normally agree with you or see where you are coming from with your posts, but you really blew me away with this one man. You do realize that you're on an Acura enthusiasts website right? So most of us, if not all of us here are Honda/Acura fans, so of course our opinions are going to be biased. But I can't understand for the life of me as to why you don't want the 4th gen TL to sell, and looking at the information in your signature, you don't even own a 3rd gen TL so why do you care if the new TL outsells the old TL or not, what it to you?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Race Director

man the best looking car of all those acuras pictured above was the Acura Legend!!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ac Man
I normally agree with you or see where you are coming from with your posts, but you really blew me away with this one man. You do realize that you're on an Acura enthusiasts website right? So most of us, if not all of us here are Honda/Acura fans, so of course our opinions are going to be biased. But I can't understand for the life of me as to why you don't want the 4th gen TL to sell, and looking at the information in your signature, you don't even own a 3rd gen TL so why do you care if the new TL outsells the old TL or not, what it to you?
And the same with you, you have great points in your posts too. But what you don't see is my angle.... I want to be back in a Honda, because I am a Honda fan, despite how much I seem not to be. I could see why it would be weird though. I don't care if it breaks sales records or exceeds the sales of the previous TL - I actually want it to do worse. Why? Because I don't like the direction that Acura's going. I want them to realize that this new design language is ugly as crap, at least to the majority of people. They can definitely come up with something better.... the new TSX with the Euro Accord grill looks great. Of course its still the same car, but it looks better with the Honda grill.

However, I became a fan of GM after driving this particular model, but I'm not looking for the exact same things that most Honda/Acura buyers are after. I wanted something that looked nice IMO, cheap, fast, had the potential to become very fast and/or handle pretty well for a reasonable amount of money, and have the ability to be an open-air car. The closest thing Honda has is the S2000, which I definitely would be in if I could afford it. And if Honda made some sort of RWD V8 coupe? I'd be in one for sure if I had the scratch.

I didn't actually own the 2G TL-S - it was my mom's, but I drove it daily. It was a really fun car. Then I decided to get a car of my own, an Integra, which came with no radio to begin with. I realized, wow, my Integra is even funner to drive than the TL! Its not as nice as the TL, by far, but it was a joy to drive for a number of reasons. I also had the chance to drive a lot of other cars over the past few years and I noticed the subtleties while driving them.

That's why I don't see anything wrong with people not liking the new TL at all. They want RWD, they want a V8, etc. because they've driven cars with those features and they liked it. It'd be silly to wish for RWD without ever having tried it. Sure, there may be some owners who want to subconsciously reinforce their decision to buy a 3G instead of wait for the 4G. But like you pointed it out, I'm not one of them.... I personally want to see them have what I'm looking for.

I think it also has something to do with me being a grumpy bastard. The new TL almost offends me.... a weird analogy here, but to me it would be something like seeing your kid bring home a report card with D's, or having them come home with a black eye, telling you that they lost a fist fight. Tough love.... I'm going to feel sorry for my kids.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And the same with you, you have great points in your posts too. But what you don't see is my angle.... I want to be back in a Honda, because I am a Honda fan, despite how much I seem not to be. I could see why it would be weird though. I don't care if it breaks sales records or exceeds the sales of the previous TL - I actually want it to do worse. Why? Because I don't like the direction that Acura's going. I want them to realize that this new design language is ugly as crap, at least to the majority of people. They can definitely come up with something better.... the new TSX with the Euro Accord grill looks great. Of course its still the same car, but it looks better with the Honda grill.

However, I became a fan of GM after driving this particular model, but I'm not looking for the exact same things that most Honda/Acura buyers are after. I wanted something that looked nice IMO, cheap, fast, had the potential to become very fast and/or handle pretty well for a reasonable amount of money, and have the ability to be an open-air car. The closest thing Honda has is the S2000, which I definitely would be in if I could afford it. And if Honda made some sort of RWD V8 coupe? I'd be in one for sure if I had the scratch.

I didn't actually own the 2G TL-S - it was my mom's, but I drove it daily. It was a really fun car. Then I decided to get a car of my own, an Integra, which came with no radio to begin with. I realized, wow, my Integra is even funner to drive than the TL! Its not as nice as the TL, by far, but it was a joy to drive for a number of reasons. I also had the chance to drive a lot of other cars over the past few years and I noticed the subtleties while driving them.

That's why I don't see anything wrong with people not liking the new TL at all. They want RWD, they want a V8, etc. because they've driven cars with those features and they liked it. It'd be silly to wish for RWD without ever having tried it. Sure, there may be some owners who want to subconsciously reinforce their decision to buy a 3G instead of wait for the 4G. But like you pointed it out, I'm not one of them.... I personally want to see them have what I'm looking for.

I think it also has something to do with me being a grumpy bastard. The new TL almost offends me.... a weird analogy here, but to me it would be something like seeing your kid bring home a report card with D's, or having them come home with a black eye, telling you that they lost a fist fight. Tough love.... I'm going to feel sorry for my kids.
Point taken, but I think Acura is finding out right now that the general population doesn't like the direction they're going style wise. I don't think slow sales are going to be an accurate indicator as to how receptive people are to their cars, because the economy is bad right now. Some people might actually like the TL, but won't get one because they can't afford it. Acura views this website and others, so from doing a little research, they'll know how consumers feel. That's why the features we want tends to "Mysteriously" show up in Acuras after numerous bitch sessions/complaints. The '07 TL MMC is a perfect example of this.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Advanced

A lot of people beotched when the 3rd gen came out but then grew to like it. I wonder if that will happen with this one? (esp with that Battletech front end).. I'll wait til I see one in person before I make any decision..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
New TL looks great in Black!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit

Just like in clothes, a black color hides the added girth well.

I agree, I think this black 4G TL is the best looking one so far. The grey/silver one at the golf course parking lot was the worst!

Acura marketing/pr folks should have restricted all these test units and pictures to be with the black color.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickinvestor
Just like in clothes, a black color hides the added girth well.

I agree, I think this black 4G TL is the best looking one so far. The grey/silver one at the golf course parking lot was the worst!

Acura marketing/pr folks should have restricted all these test units and pictures to be with the black color.
How the black color can hide a silver metal color grill?? I could understand if you said that in silver color the car hide the grill...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
^^^^ he sed girth not grille. LOL
Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced

"GIRTH", not "GRILL"

Originally Posted by krio
How the black color can hide a silver metal color grill?? I could understand if you said that in silver color the car hide the grill...

I said "girth", as in "size/dimension", not "grill"!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

...proving that because you type in bold, it doesn't make your point any .more valid or increase your reading comprehension.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM

...proving that because you type in bold, it doesn't make your point any .more valid or increase your reading comprehension.
There are a few members on this site whose primary/first language isn't English.... I think krio is one of them??
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

There are a few members on this site whose primary/first language isn't English.... I think krio is one of them??
Don't worry, I'm sensitive to to this, I was mostly talking about bold type...

edit: Actually, I went back and removed the 'comprehension' part, I must have saved the change after the editing time limit because I see it's still there.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

ops, sorry.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

yep, my first language is italian, the second russian, the third french, the forth is english.
SORRY for the mistakes... I know that I write like a pig.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't worry, I'm sensitive to to this, I was mostly talking about bold type...

edit: Actually, I went back and removed the 'comprehension' part, I must have saved the change after the editing time limit because I see it's still there.
ok, and no more bold writing Colin....
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Saw 4G TL today on my way home from work(I work less than a mile from a dealer) It was being taken up to get filled up at the nearest Gas station. before prep, I would guess. It was dark Blue, and I must say, it looks better in person than in pics.

The Acura Tech driving it had a big grin, that's for sure.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

yup, i'm one of them.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Racer

in general black cars look great..

but this black 4G does NOT look any better than the rest of the color, simply because darker color shows the ugly grill even more
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou
yup, i'm one of them.
Originally Posted by krio
yep, my first language is italian, the second russian, the third french, the forth is english.
SORRY for the mistakes... I know that I write like a pig.
not bad, especially krio, wow. I'm pretty fluent in speaking Vietnamese, (2nd language) but hell if I could write anything that made sense in Spanish or any other language. All I know are cuss words
Old 08-30-2008, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

alguien habla espanol???
Old 08-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nbkgu7l
alguien habla espanol???
yo hablo

poco
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
some one should open new thread on "how many language you speak..." btw, i am one of them.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It is clear to me Acura needs to find a new design team, they are really screwing the product line here. The new TSX is not that bad, but the RL and TL need work, TL especially. And managament needs to get off this brand identity with the horrible grill!!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
any info on engine specs?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
any info on engine specs?
engine specs...??
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Black Color...

Ok, I normally don't chime in on forums, I usually just read them. However, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have actually seen the new TL in person and in Black.. All I can say is that it is impressive. I can definitely deal with the rear end and I got used to it after a while, the front grille is definitely a little too big. The pictures DO NOT do it justice. The same goes for the interior. Overall in person the car looks sporty and muscular. If they would tone down the front grille I think it's a 100% winner.

Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit

Old 08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

they should really shrink the grille by like 20%..lol...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, at least the wheels look sharp...

Quick Reply: 2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***