2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that one of the VERY few things that would get ANY of us on this site interested in this car would be for it to INCLUDE a twin turbo into THIS design. Notice the front air inlets next to the driving/fog lights on the bottom? Could those be intakes for air flow ON BOTH sides? Remember, the reason nobody has turbo'd this car is because nobody BUT ACURA has the ECU access needed to properly tune it. Of course, ACURA DOES have that ability and therefore has the SINGULAR ability to turbo these. Add AWD to this car and the traction issues of FWD goes "out the window". A twin turbo/AWD 2009 (even as FUGLY as the snout may be would get a LOT of interest). In fact, that might be the ONLY thing that could save this "ugly duckling"

PS - What makes anyone here think that the quad exhaust were seen on a non-AWD version? The parking lot pictures look like it's simply the AWD version and so far I haven't seen anyone show why it isn't that model.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't like the grill...don't like the bodyshape...don't like the back....don't like anything about the new TL!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was a affirmative to the rendered picture..
But now I see the real pictures..
Negative!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't even notice the chrome trim that separates the roof and the sides of the car... wow... this thing is unbearable
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by wutaguy
Remember the 4G is coming from the same people who made the 3G. We all need to wait and see the car in person.
Dude...go right ahead and wait to see it in person. That's probably a smart idea for some.

Just remember, first impressions are VERY important. This car is NOT making a good first impression. Many didn't like the 2009 TSX when the pics came out either. I've always felt like the TSX is a mini TL to a certain degree. I don't think seeing the car in person is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, after a while, it will grow on you. But to many men, cars are a very emotional thing. Seeing this new TL, I'm not getting that "emotional" feeling about it.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

My guess is those current photos are the SH-AWD by looking at the covered up badging on the lower right of the trunk lid.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know we haven't seen it in person yet, but we all have every right to be disappointed. When I first saw the 3G TL, I didn't have to get used to it. It looked great in photos and in person. It looked great from every angle. I liked the front, back, side and interior equally well. I liked it so much that it was one of the first cars I looked at when my wife and I went car shopping. I've been happy with it ever since.

The 4G is starting off at a BIG deficit here. It's pretty hard to imagine our minds will change that much when it hits the streets.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I think that one of the VERY few things that would get ANY of us on this site interested in this car would be for it to INCLUDE a twin turbo into THIS design. Notice the front air inlets next to the driving/fog lights on the bottom? Could those be intakes for air flow ON BOTH sides? Remember, the reason nobody has turbo'd this car is because nobody BUT ACURA has the ECU access needed to properly tune it. Of course, ACURA DOES have that ability and therefore has the SINGULAR ability to turbo these. Add AWD to this car and the traction issues of FWD goes "out the window". A twin turbo/AWD 2009 (even as FUGLY as the snout may be would get a LOT of interest). In fact, that might be the ONLY thing that could save this "ugly duckling"
I concur
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
I know we haven't seen it in person yet, but we all have every right to be disappointed. When I first saw the 3G TL, I didn't have to get used to it. It looked great in photos and in person. It looked great from every angle. I liked the front, back, side and interior equally well. I liked it so much that it was one of the first cars I looked at when my wife and I went car shopping. I've been happy with it ever since.

The 4G is starting off at a BIG deficit here. It's pretty hard to imagine our minds will change that much when it hits the streets.
I agree 100% My next car will be a BMW.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I really wonder if management at Acura reads through these forums! Not that it'll change anything now but what better way to gather feedback then querying Acura enthusiasts!!

Clearly, they're off to a bad start, but maybe they know something we dont...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
The more I read about the comments on the grille, the more it makes me think if Acura wanted to make a statement with the grille, why not use the MDX grille (a grille that looks different, but you know the marketplace will accept it)...I for one prefer the "shield" look to the "beak" that adorns the TSX and TL. In addition, it creates more familiarity between the models...

One possible reason for not using the whole shield is cooling...so I extended the grille opening and opened up all of the lower duct in the front fascia. I did a quick (not perfect) PS job to my original 09 TL A-Spec concept...I think the MDX grille looks right at home on the TL...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
^^ Acura- hire this man.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If this car is the SH-AWD car, then which car has the wheels from Acura's original pic?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
the rear is a bit of a turn off right now =\

lovin the fronts tho. def. has some potential.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 PM
aTLien

i really hope these new pics are just spy pics of a saturn. a big misunderstanding ,lol
Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
On the shield grill. I believe its there to serve as the future hiding place for the CMBS sensor. If anyone saw the terrible job Acura did with the RL CMBS you'll know what I mean.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Where's the slot on the sides?

One of my favorite features is the slots/grooves on the side of the car. Why did they give this to the Accord and rob the TL? Now it looks like a Ford Lincoln MKS, only made by Pontiac or something, and that my grandma drives...
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I think that one of the VERY few things that would get ANY of us on this site interested in this car would be for it to INCLUDE a twin turbo into THIS design.
After the failure of the RDX turbo, I am confidant that you will never see a turbo under the hood of a TL.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
07 Nighthawk Black Pearl

Originally Posted by wutaguy
If you look closely at the pic on Acura Website, it has the same grill as the spy pic, but the website pic looks good.

Of course the website pic looks good. It's altered to look good, it's angeled to look good, it even has cooler rims that make it look good. But these are real life pictures, granted there's a little tape over it but realistically, when the 3G TL came out, it looked good in high-res pics as it did in low res phone camera pics and it was a complete redisgn form the 2G, The 4G, in my opinion, is sort of looks like a previous deisgn of the 3G that never made it and now instead of actually redisigning it, they just pulled one of those failed designs and said, run with this one.

Now that I really think about it, I think we're expecting too much from the TL. We want some kind of slick sports car like design but the reality is that the TL isn't a sports car. It's a mid-luxury sedan. The unfortunate part about that is, it's still uglier than other mid-luxury sedans...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Im deff digging the new tl

wow!!!!!!

now the choice begins ......08 type s? or 10 type s (hear they arent releasing the type-s til 10)

ARGGHHH!!

fuck every1 whos gonna join the evil empire of BMW.

people these days are all followers no leaders!

but good luck with shitty euro made cars

i think i'd keep my bangd up 04 tl-p then buying a shitty bmw

HAAAA!!!!!

TL FTMFW
Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zootjeff
One of my favorite features is the slots/grooves on the side of the car. Why did they give this to the Accord and rob the TL? Now it looks like a Ford Lincoln MKS, only made by Pontiac or something, and that my grandma drives...
Completely agree. I really like the grooves. I've even received compliments on that particular feature from people (most recently a waitress at the Chili's curbside delivery). The funny thing is that the spyshots of the masked 09 TL's had strips of tape in that area where the groove should be, so I always assumed it was under the tape, but now that the tape is off there's nothing there!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by redman042
... I always assumed it was under the tape, but now that the tape is off there's nothing there!
That was a surprise to me too! Also the shape of the lights do not match the current trend set by the TSX, MDX and RDX. Strange indeed.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
2024 TLX Type-S

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dude...go right ahead and wait to see it in person. That's probably a smart idea for some.

Just remember, first impressions are VERY important. This car is NOT making a good first impression. Many didn't like the 2009 TSX when the pics came out either. I've always felt like the TSX is a mini TL to a certain degree. I don't think seeing the car in person is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, after a while, it will grow on you. But to many men, cars are a very emotional thing. Seeing this new TL, I'm not getting that "emotional" feeling about it.
I couldn't agree more. I also think the fact that most people have to Photoshop the car to get it to where they think it looks good speaks volumes.

I said it after the first spy shots were released, and I'll say it again: I'm glad I bought my 3G TL-S.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Looking from the history of TLS for 3g (07, 08) and 2g (02, 03) models, I assume the 4g TLS will come out as 12 and 13 models. Unless Acura has different plans.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Type34
The more I read about the comments on the grille, the more it makes me think if Acura wanted to make a statement with the grille, why not use the MDX grille (a grille that looks different, but you know the marketplace will accept it)...I for one prefer the "shield" look to the "beak" that adorns the TSX and TL. In addition, it creates more familiarity between the models...

One possible reason for not using the whole shield is cooling...so I extended the grille opening and opened up all of the lower duct in the front fascia. I did a quick (not perfect) PS job to my original 09 TL A-Spec concept...I think the MDX grille looks right at home on the TL...

I am not too big a fan of the MDX shield. But I think it is 10X better than the beak!

Great job TYPE34
Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
That was a surprise to me too! Also the shape of the lights do not match the current trend set by the TSX, MDX and RDX. Strange indeed.
Hey Colin, I tend to agree with you that this was one of the most surprising thing for me too when I saw the power point presentation several months ago...The lights are not 'pointy' like the teardrop effect that all new Acuras are coming out with. I am not extremely excited by the rear lights on the 09 TL compared to the way the TSX looks, but I know, I will wait until I see the car in the flesh...if its anything like my g/f, it will SURELY look better in the flesh

Its also interesting how they designed the hood, it seems to be the way the Integra used to be, the rounded edge rather then having the whole hood opening up like the TSX...hard to explain...
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are the designer smoking when they came up with this fugly 4G TL?

And whoever sign off on this design needs to fired.

One more time REDESIGN, REDESIGN!!!!!!!

PUSH BACK THE RELEASE TIME AND BACK ON THE DRAWING BOARD
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TL1999

PUSH BACK THE RELEASE TIME AND BACK ON THE DRAWING BOARD
Ha Ha, the 'die is cast' Literally! You can't make pre-production models without the pressing dies.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Type34
No the sky isn't falling in the Acura universe. The 4G TL should sell. I think the key word as the reason for our collective concern is polarizing. The "beak" grilles are indeed polarizing. They may prove to be successful as time goes on, but the Acura mantra has always been clean aesthetics, solid reliability, and luxury value.

This new design is not as clean as its forebears (seen below), from the Acura Vigor (the former TL as we know) to the 2008 TL. Some may say a little boring, but they were definitely not polarizing.

You need to add the ACURA LEGEND!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Legend eventually turned into the RL, not the TL. God the pre-refreshed 3G looks so much better than the 07+ base....

I'll hold my judgement till I see it in person. Most new cars look terrible in pics yet look pretty decent in real life. I used to think the TSX was an ugly turd but after having one as a rental I was pretty pleased with it. The grille on this car is pretty fuckin terrible though....
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

I drove by one last friday in Marysville - back end looks good but the front is fugly.

Even the future 300+ hp and SH-AWD version couldn't get me to buy one.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by NTP66
I couldn't agree more. I also think the fact that most people have to Photoshop the car to get it to where they think it looks good speaks volumes.

I said it after the first spy shots were released, and I'll say it again: I'm glad I bought my 3G TL-S.

NTP...you hit the nail on the head. If you have to mod the car so much to the point where you finally like it, why buy it to begin with??? It's easy to Photoshop a car-good luck doing all those Photoshop mods in real life. You know, the more Photoshop pictures I see, the more I realize that alot of people are not happy with the way the car looks out of the gate. If they were happy with the look, why so many Photoshop pictures????

Think about it........
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

at first i was with all you people who had nothing but negative stuff to say about the new tl... i did not like the tsx when i first seen it in a photograph and then i seen a few tsx's on the road and boy let me tell you they catch your eye, they are a pretty sharp looking car. now tonight i just seen a new rl on the local acura lot and it itslef had a very elegant look to it as well. and there is a new rl commercial which makes it looks pretty good. all i am saying is that you should wiat to see it in person!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
The TSX is the only new Acura sedan that really looks good all over. to Acura on that one. The rear of the MMC RL looks good, too, just not the front. But the TL got the fugly stick all around.

Change the beak, I mean, grille!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM
TL GOD

i got a question...do any of the ppl working for acura look at dis forum and think to themselves "DAMN we fucked up!!!" They should jus not even release dis shitbox and keep producing the 3gs
Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Here's a question.... If we indeed are stuck with the hideous beak.... which is the car's ugliest fault... HOW soon if at all, can we get someone like ronjon or another company to make a replacement so all of us on this forum can change it out?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Advanced

3G with SHAWD

Originally Posted by Unbreakables
i got a question...do any of the ppl working for acura look at dis forum and think to themselves "DAMN we fucked up!!!" They should jus not even release dis shitbox and keep producing the 3gs
Maybe Acura could continue with the 3G body but put in there that SHAWD!

I bet that combo would sell far better than this upcoming 4G.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
I can't believe that grill is so big!!! It looks out of place IMO as it doesn't wrap or fit with the rest of the body lines. Shouldn't the grill sort of match up with the headlight contours instead of running clear up to the hood line? This looks like the base FWD model for sure though as the tips aren't quad really.
But lok at the rear... there are three emblems taped off. "acura" "tl" and either "SH-awd" or maybe "Type S"
Just a thought
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonm
But lok at the rear... there are three emblems taped off. "acura" "tl" and either "SH-awd" or maybe "Type S"
Just a thought
It's SH-AWD. All the Acura's that have SH-AWD say it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at the back again today to see if I felt any different. It looks like a boat to me! Maybe Acura is trying to go after the old Cadillac market of retired people and is trying to distance itself from us.

Quick Reply: 2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***