TPMS boycott

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 03:50 PM
Racer

TPMS boycott

I have an 06 which has TPMS. Since I like switching up my wheels, I HATE having to deal with buying new sensors and getting them installed. Without the sensors in place, I get that annoying "check tpms system" in the MID after a few minutes of driving. I tried removing the fuse for TPMS and all it does is display the warning immediately upon starting the car instead of taking a few minutes.

I want to be done with TPMS! I was getting by just fine before I had a car that had TPMS so I don't think it will be missed. I have searched but have not found the solution so here is my idea. I was thinking about buying a cluster from an 05 TL which does not have TPMS, therefor no warning lights. From what I have read, the mileage info is stored in the MID. Since I want my mileage to be accurate, I located a cluster from an 05 with the same mileage as my car. I am looking for constructive feedback from you guys. Do you think there is any reason why this would not work?
Old 03-11-2012 | 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

The wiring harness is different between an '05 & '06. If you're going through this much effort, just find the supply wire for the sensor and light, cut and install a toggle switch. Switch it off when no TPMS and on to activate the system.
Old 03-11-2012 | 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I run mine with no TPMS all the time and the alarm is only once per trip ... and the light on the display so small it doesn't even bother me ...

Just go to a window tint shop and get a small piece of scrap 5% window tint and cut out a small piece and pit it on the area in front of the light.
Old 03-12-2012 | 09:29 PM
under renovations....

first off you know you can get the clusters reprogrammed to your info if ever needed to swap clusters, just sayin. Secondly as for the tpms I'm gonna say why don't you remove the fuse to see if that'll shut the system itself off. I dunno if it'll stop it from throwing a code but hey its with a try right?! and if you have the spare take the sensor outta that too just in case it does pick it up. Or you can just get some black vinyl to cover the light. If you have navi it'll throw the system message once read it and the little envelope will disappear.

Edit: I just saw you tried the fuse, it might be conected to the ecu to send the signal then too.
Old 03-13-2012 | 10:01 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Google "TPMS bomb".
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012 | 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbonut
The wiring harness is different between an '05 & '06. If you're going through this much effort, just find the supply wire for the sensor and light, cut and install a toggle switch. Switch it off when no TPMS and on to activate the system.
This sounds like a great idea! I think I am just going to de-pin the wiring for the TPMS since I don't want to cut anything. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2006 that shows the location and color of the TPMS wire?
Old 03-13-2012 | 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ebelp
Google "TPMS bomb".
Old 03-13-2012 | 11:36 AM
Racer

I have thought about making a tpms bomb but my concern is that it would not work in the TL. The reason why I am not sure it will work is because the TL has a display showing the pressure for each wheel in its respective location. If all the sensors are located in this bomb, it will might cause an error in the system since all the sensors will not be in the right place. Also, with the bomb, I will have to carry that thing everywhere, find some place to store it, buy four sensors, and the materials to make the bomb. I would much rather de-pin a wire to get rid of it... if that is possible. Thanks for the suggestions guys, if you have any more suggestions please keep sending them in
Old 03-13-2012 | 11:58 AM
Happy Holidays!

Is all this frustration worth not buying sensors? It's only about $25 a piece. I know, for some that's a lot of money, but it'll get rid the warning light and you still get to monitor your tires' pressure, which is a safety feature. That's worth $100 to me.
Old 03-13-2012 | 12:14 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Is all this frustration worth not buying sensors? It's only about $25 a piece. I know, for some that's a lot of money, but it'll get rid the warning light and you still get to monitor your tires' pressure, which is a safety feature. That's worth $100 to me.
I agree with this. If its that the sensors don't fit with the wheels then just buy the kits to make them work.
Old 03-13-2012 | 12:46 PM
Racer

I don't want TPMS because I like to switch up my wheels often. Sometimes I will buy a used set w tires already mounted. I don't feel like having to always swap in sensors not just because of the expense, but also risking getting the wheels damaged in the process. TPMS is just another thing to deal with. I think I will be OK checking my tire pressure the old fashioned way.

If anyone can hook up the wiring diagram for an 06 TL, it would be much appreciated.