New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got the final word on pricing today from a local shop I wanted to get it done at...

DWS - $689.60 OTD
A/S Plus - 965.20 OTD

tire rack has the DWS for $550 shipped and the michelins for $756.

Last edited by PSURob12; 11-10-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by PSURob12
Got the final word on pricing today from a local shop I wanted to get it done at...

DWS - $689.60 OTD
A/S Plus - 965.20 OTD

tire rack has the DWS for $550 shipped and the michelins for $756.
Did you try Treadepot.com? They had the best price I've ever seen. Also, SEARS will match Tirerack.com prices. They may also match Treadepot.com prices. I wish I had known about treadepot.com when I cut the deal with SEARS (matched tirerack.com price plus military discount).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine are all around 34psi cold and as i have posted before, i have flat spotting daily. It does fade after the first few miles, but it is a little annoying given I only have a 5 mile commute each day. My car is garaged overnight as well.

I have just over 18k miles on mine and they still show little wear.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

DWS - $689.60 OTD
A/S Plus - 965.20 OTD

tire rack has the DWS for $550 shipped and the michelins for
Don't forget the $70 gift card via mail when you buy 4 Michelins.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
DWS is still cheaper and rebates suck.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

Just put a set of DWS on my wife's 08 TL. Since we live in the Boston area I wanted a good All season for the snow. I usually change over to snow tires on cheep rims for the winters but am getting tired of changing over and storing the extra rims. No sign of flat spotting so far which was my only minor concern for these tires. They have excellent wet and dry traction compared to the crap MXM4's that were OEM. About 1000 miles so far. I'll post again after some experience in the snow.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
08' WDP Type S

conti's going on monday.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Racer

I checked my psi the other day and they were actually 30-32psi cold and not the 34 I previously stated. I bumped them to 36psi and the flat spotting has been much better the past two mornings.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
4th Gear

Conti DWS

I have a set of these on my car. The ride is very nice. But, beware that the sidewalls seem to be easy to puncture. I somehow got a small thorn through mine, and the tire shope would fix it.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

Cont DWS

Sorry, I meant to say the tire shop wouldn't fix my tire.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
just put the conti's on my car (235/40/18) in early october. PSI +1 at all 4 corners (36/33). i have about 800 miles on them...some initial flatspotting when really cold but goes away after a few miles. dynamic balance sucked. get them road force balance to eliminate issues. common complaints and issues...difficulty balancing these tires (as reported to me by folks at the dealer). so far...cornering is not quite as sticky as the good year eagle GTs (which absolutely don't have any treadlife), handle well in rain, will hopefully handle well in snow as advertised when/if it comes. otherwise, pretty pleased with them so far.

so find a place that does road force balancing when doing install that way you don't have to do balance twice if the dynamic balancing doesn't work well.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 AM
Race Director

^^^^Out of 331 posts, you're the only one who's made a statement that these tires are difficult to balance. I think your shop doesn't know what they're talking about, probably just trying to upsell the road force balance....
Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
^^^^Out of 331 posts, you're the only one who's made a statement that these tires are difficult to balance. I think your shop doesn't know what they're talking about, probably just trying to upsell the road force balance....
actually they weren't trying to upsell me. the dealer outsourced my tire install to the NTB because they didn't want to risk damaging my rims since they didn't have the latest and greatest in mounting equip. so NTB did the initial balance. i got the car back and the vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds was horrible. i also had drifting issues prior to and after this current set of tires in addition to really bad torque steer all going to the Rt. dealer initially said after the install everything was fine. i was pretty persistent after i drove it on the highway and found the vibration that wasn't there before. i take it back to the dealer and the shop foreman to test drove it with me in the car. and he understood what i was talking about. he recommended RFB to fix it, but ultimately it was my choice what i wanted to do (they didn't pressure me into doing this, the vibration drove me crazy for the week i was thinking about the RFB and i finally said just do it). they spent a lot of time getting the wheels and tires to balance (over 2 hours with my SA and the shop foreman making sure this was done right). they rebalance all 4 wheels/tires. mostly just the one that was causing all the issues (Rt. front, at the time). it was all out of balance. i know they repositioned all the wheels on the car afterwards based on RFB using the lateral road force repositioning for the wheels to "balance" the lateral forces created from the tires. only to uncover the bad inner CV joint (which was pobably there before the tires b/c i noticed some shuttering/vibration in the steering wheel, but didn't think anything of except that it was a bit weird or it was coming from flat spotting). so blame NTB for the initial bad balance job not the dealer. i know the dealer wasn't trying to upsell me, they actually wanted to help and make me happy. the upside is that at least i get the free loaner to drive while they fixed this. the most recent thing (unrelated to the OP) to fix the bad CVs...at 50K, Rt. and Lt. axle replacement (covered by EW, performed at the dealer). so now the car finally drives perfect.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 11-20-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
j...common complaints and issues...difficulty balancing these tires (as reported to me by folks at the dealer)....
So who's telling you "difficulty balancing these tires" is a "common complaint and issue"?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually got mine installed at a Fredericksburg NTB (had them shipped there by TireRack - and I have to say, that was easy to do...I plan to buy tires again that same way) and they were installed VERY quickly and absolutely no vibration at any speed.

Mine do have flat-spotting for about the first 5 minutes of driving, but after that smoother and quieter than any tire I've every owned.

Cornering is not as good as the last two sets of tires I've ran on this car (p-zero was the best of them) but they are better in the rain. Since these are a longer lasting tire than the others I've had, they do tend to spin from a stop more easily than others, but that's something I'm fine with since this will last longer than a year and they are SO quiet.

Overall I'm VERY happy with these! I have about 2k miles on them I think...
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

So who's telling you "difficulty balancing these tires" is a "common complaint and issue"?
ok let me clarify. they (the dealer-techs and staff) have found that "high performance tires" in general, have a tendency to be tempermental when trying to balance them. if you read other threads other people with different brands (falkens/kumhos/good years/conti's, etc.) of UHP tires had to go through several tires before it would balance on their rims. so let me apologize for any confusion-in my initial response. of course it really comes down to who is doing the tire install and balancing them in the first place. i'm just saying you can save yourself a lot of grief and get them RFB in the first place when they are installed.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Race Director

Just drove 104 miles on roads covered by 2" - 4" snow drifts and about 1 mile of 6"-8" unplowed snow on the road leading to my house. Speed ranged from 40-55 mph, depending on conditions.

These tires were rock solid and provided great traction through the deep snow. Very pleased with how well they handled the snow.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,832 Likes on 4,283 Posts
^
Awesome! Great to know. I suppose this is one of those times it's good not to live in N.D.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Just drove 104 miles on roads covered by 2" - 4" snow drifts and about 1 mile of 6"-8" unplowed snow on the road leading to my house. Speed ranged from 40-55 mph, depending on conditions.

These tires were rock solid and provided great traction through the deep snow. Very pleased with how well they handled the snow.
Not to knock you experience, but would certainly like to see the TL travelling 55 MPH in 8" of unplowed snow. The TL only has a 5.7" ground clearance so you be acting like a snow plow.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not to knock you experience, but would certainly like to see the TL travelling 55 MPH in 8" of unplowed snow. The TL only has a 5.7" ground clearance so you be acting like a snow plow.
How many residential roads do you know of with a 55 mph speed limit? And yes, I did plow a little snow on that stretch of road....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-21-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
How many residential roads do you know of with a 55 mph speed limit? And yes, I did plow a little snow on that stretch of road....
I've done it before too on my way into work before. The snow looked freshly grated in between the tire tracks...
Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Just to answer your question, plenty. You're not familiar with the area, but to name just one in the area, RT 202 out of New Hope, PA is 55mph for miles and there are houses, businesses and condos on both sides.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
4th Gear

Just ordered some DWS for my 08 TL-S to be installed later today. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Pilot A/S Plus but after reading all these posts and also seeing the savings I figured I would give the Conti's a try. I get 30 days to test them out from Discount Tire anyway.

As for price, I was going to pick up the Michelin's for $750 OTD. This DID NOT include any extended warranty. That would have been around an extra $75.

The negotiated price I am getting for the DWS's are $600.16 OTD. This DOES includes the extended warranty. So if the side walls are really as soft as some people say and I get a nail (or thorn as one person said they had), I should be covered.

Regarding the prices, I simply spoke to the manager and explained what other options were available to me (online, instant discounts from other vendors, mail in rebates, online appointment discounts, etc...). At the end of the day he said I want your business and this is what I can do for you. I have been going to Discount Tire for some time now and it's because of this level of customer service that I keep going back.

As for people going back and forth questioning what tire to get, nobody can make your mind up for you. Go buy from a place that offers a trial option. I wanted a good balance of performance and tire life. It sounds like the DWS is a good match for this. I'll report back later after I have driven with them for awhile.

Finally, I live just outside of ATL so not sure about flat spotting. My car is also in the garage when I'm not driving it so we will see. Hope I don't run into this problem like others have reported.

OK, one more thing: I don't know about everyone else but I personally don't care if someone says they were driving in 6-8" of snow @ 40-55mph. I don't know if I would personally do it in my car but the post wasn't about my car. Hell, I actually bet it was pretty fun. The point I am trying to make is I don't see the point in calling the man a liar. Let me just go on the record as saying that while I was trying to read through all the posts, in order to have the AcuraZine community help me make an educated decision on tires, I found it rather annoying to read people bitching back and forth.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Junokno
OK, one more thing: I don't know about everyone else but I personally don't care if someone says they were driving in 6-8" of snow @ 40-55mph. I don't know if I would personally do it in my car but the post wasn't about my car. Hell, I actually bet it was pretty fun. The point I am trying to make is I don't see the point in calling the man a liar. Let me just go on the record as saying that while I was trying to read through all the posts, in order to have the AcuraZine community help me make an educated decision on tires, I found it rather annoying to read people bitching back and forth.
That is your prerogative, but that same person insinuated that the people who mentioned soft sidewalls and flat spotting didn't believe the posts as his DWS tires showed no signs of those problems, so now you can be the judge. To use your term “bitching back and forth” is the only way one can determine the truth about a subject matter, or do you want to hear only one side?

Just to add, buy 245/45-17 tires.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,832 Likes on 4,283 Posts
As for price, I was going to pick up the Michelin's for $750 OTD. This DID NOT include any extended warranty. That would have been around an extra $75.

The negotiated price I am getting for the DWS's are $600.16 OTD. This DOES includes the extended warranty. So if the side walls are really as soft as some people say and I get a nail (or thorn as one person said they had), I should be covered.

Regarding the prices, I simply spoke to the manager and explained what other options were available to me (online, instant discounts from other vendors, mail in rebates, online appointment discounts, etc...). At the end of the day he said I want your business and this is what I can do for you. I have been going to Discount Tire for some time now and it's because of this level of customer service that I keep going back.
Wow $600 OTD is a great price. It seems like a good place to do business too. G/L with the tires.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Race Director

....OK, one more thing: I don't know about everyone else but I personally don't care if someone says they were driving in 6-8" of snow @ 40-55mph. I don't know if I would personally do it in my car but the post wasn't about my car. Hell, I actually bet it was pretty fun. The point I am trying to make is I don't see the point in calling the man a liar. Let me just go on the record as saying that while I was trying to read through all the posts, in order to have the AcuraZine community help me make an educated decision on tires, I found it rather annoying to read people bitching back and forth.
If you go back and read all of Turbonut's posts in this thread, he's done nothing but second guess these tires, even though he's never owned them. He's far, far out numbered by very satisfied owner's that have actual experience using these tires. My advice is to just ignore him and listen to people like me who actually own the tires and have practical experience with them. Make your decision based on our experiences.

That is your prerogative, but that same person insinuated that the people who mentioned soft sidewalls and flat spotting didn't believe the posts as his DWS tires showed no signs of those problems, so now you can be the judge.....
Oh brother, here he goes with more of his trolling. Not in one single post have I ever said I didn't believe other owner's posts about flat spotting or soft sidewall. Not one. And I challenge Turbonut to find a post where I did.

What I have said is this:

Haven't notice any issue whatsoever with flat spotting on my DWS'. (About 1K miles so far, 235/45/17).

and this:

Not the first? Yes, he's the second. I believeAJS800 is the only other one to complain of flat spotting, but he also has admitted additional front end vibration problems which may or may not be the source.

Coming up on 2K miles on my DWS' and it's been down to 45 degrees here in ND. My TL has sat for 2 and 3 days without being moved and no flat spotting so far....

and this:

Turbo,

Facts are facts. And that's exactly what I'm posting:

So far, out of 7 pages and 248 posts in this thread, I only recall two people complaining of flat spotting and one of those has other front end vibration issues and is running non-OEM sized tires.

And I guess all of the rest of us posting in this thread without flat spotting issues must just be idiots...

and this:

Steven, I think only 3 people in this thread have claimed to have flat spotting. I'm in ND and no flat spotting so far (2K miles). These are great tires. I'd still buy them even if I knew they would flat spot.

The fact is the latest count shows only 7 people have reported flat spotting in this thread (and one of those has front end vibrations which may indeed be the cause of his "flat spotting"). Many more, me included, report no flat spotting. Go over to tirerack.com and read the DWS reviews there. Same story: a few people are reporting flat spotting, the vast majority are not.

And as far as sidewall issues, here's my only post:

Just got the DWS's on last night. Very quiet, smooth ride both slow and high speed. Didn't really notice any sidewall weakness, but I haven't pushed it that much yet. Will follow up with a 1000 mile report.

And just to clarify, the 1 mile of residential road with the unplowed snow (speed limit 25 mph) and the last mile of the 104 miles was taken at about 20-25 mph.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:50 PM
08' WDP Type S

Got these put on today. What PSI are you guys running these at? Normal stock pressures of 35 front 32 back?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Yep.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a few hundred miles on mine now and I am really glad I got these. These are great tires so far. I'd like to say I'm anxious to see how they perform in the snow, but, let's be real, we all fucking hate snow. In due time...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered some DWS for my 08 TL-S to be installed later today. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Pilot A/S Plus but after reading all these posts and also seeing the savings I figured I would give the Conti's a try. I get 30 days to test them out from Discount Tire anyway.

As for people going back and forth questioning what tire to get, nobody can make your mind up for you. Go buy from a place that offers a trial option. I wanted a good balance of performance and tire life. It sounds like the DWS is a good match for this. I'll report back later after I have driven with them for awhile.

Finally, I live just outside of ATL so not sure about flat spotting. My car is also in the garage when I'm not driving it so we will see. Hope I don't run into this problem like others have reported.

$600 OTD is better than anything I've found in NE ATL. Wonder if this shop would like another customer? Care to share?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
08' WDP Type S

After a day....they definitely feel different from the stock tires, and I'm not sure if it's in a good way. Taking a good long trip for the holiday on them, so I'll post back my thoughts after the holiday weekend. To me, they feel "loose" when compared to the stock tires, like I can't feel the road as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

If you go back and read all of Turbonut's posts in this thread, he's done nothing but second guess these tires, even though he's never owned them. He's far, far out numbered by very satisfied owner's that have actual experience using these tires. My advice is to just ignore him and listen to people like me who actually own the tires and have practical experience with them. Make your decision based on our experiences.
Let me sum this up once and for all, one doesn't need to own or try a specific tire to see what the results might be. Take the DWS as an example; the tire is one of the softest UHP tires I have ever seen. Take a DWS tire and stand it upright, unmounted and press on the tread. One can actually buckle the tire in half, similar to a T rated tire, and I am surprised that the tire actually obtains a W speed rating as I would believe that the tread would buckle under high speed conditions. The sidewalls are so soft when compared with others in the same category, that one can move the sidewalls inward and outward with little effort. So I stand by remarks that it is a soft tire, although many would prefer this sofa soft ride compared to the normal UHP tire. With the nylon belts, tires have a propensity to flat spot, so as the DWS is manufactured with said belts, it would be highly unlikely that the tire doesn't flat spot.

Both these conditions have been reported previously.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
08' WDP Type S

I noticed very minimal flat spotting today, but it got cold overnight so they were at 32 PSI all around and I had them at 34 all around the other night when cold. less than a mile down the road it seemed fine. Did some hard cornering today and they are no doubt softer sidewalls. You can feel it. That said, I got to test out some cornering and quick acceleration today and I must say I am impressed. Despite the slightly softer feeling, I think I am going to end up loving these tires. We'll see how it goes. Obviously I can't compare to the Pilot sport A/S pluses, but these crap all over the stock tires, that is for sure.

Taking a trip to pittsburgh tomorrow morning so i'll get some highway miles on them. Kinda can't wait to see how they are in snow and rain lol
Old 11-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Race Director

....Taking a trip to pittsburgh tomorrow morning so i'll get some highway miles on them. Kinda can't wait to see how they are in snow and rain lol
...They're dangerously good in the rain...

Interested in what kind of highway gas mileage you get on the trip. So far, I've averaged 27-30 mpg (headwind/tailwind) on winter gas with these tires, which is about 1-2 mpg better than any tire I've used so far.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I've mentioned, I've had some flat spotting issues over the years with some Yokohama brand tires and now Kumho, but even if the Continental DWSs have some of that it should not really be a deal breaker for anyone if that is the only issue they have, it wouldn't be for me. I mean, it only happens, if it does, in really cold weather and lasts only a few minutes so not really a big deal if you ask me.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

I'm in need of tires right away . I'm decided on the Conti DWS and want to know if I should go with 245/40/17 or go with the stock 235/45/17 . The 245/45/17 are on back order.

Is it possible to go with the 40 profile or will it not work well.

I have an 05 TL with stock wheels and ready to hit 60,000
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

A compromise is never a good decision. The 245/40's are 1" smaller than the 245/45 and the 235/45-17 are smaller than the OE Muchelin tires, so I guess it's your call, but if your dead set on the DWS, I'd wait for the 245/45-17 size.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

A compromise is never a good decision. The 245/40's are 1" smaller than the 245/45 and the 235/45-17 are smaller than the OE Muchelin tires, so I guess it's your call, but if your dead set on the DWS, I'd wait for the 245/45-17 size.
Not sure where I'm making a compromise ? The reviews ans tests results speak volumes and Yes I'm set on the DWS's

I currently have 235/45/17's and are losing there grip and I need new tires. I'm not sure I want to lose MPG on the 245/45/17 . So I'm
concidering the Two other sizes listed.

Would the 245/40/17 look goofy on my TL being 1'' smaller .
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drunkonjack
Not sure where I'm making a compromise ? The reviews ans tests results speak volumes and Yes I'm set on the DWS's

I currently have 235/45/17's and are losing there grip and I need new tires. I'm not sure I want to lose MPG on the 245/45/17 . So I'm
concidering the Two other sizes listed.

Would the 245/40/17 look goofy on my TL being 1'' smaller .

You're not making a compromise. Just go with the stock size, you'll be fine.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Drunkonjack
Not sure where I'm making a compromise ?
You ask for an opinion, so I gave one stating that the 245/45-17 would be the preferred size, so if one were to get another size, that I would consider a compromise.

Just an FYI-The 235/45-17 DWS has one of the smallest tread widths at only 7.7" wide.

Last edited by Turbonut; 11-25-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?