New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jo-nathanpham
I will take your first statement and assume you meant it in a nice, respectful way. Yes, Texas will never be as cold as up north, and yes, I also experienced flat spotting in the mornings during my first months of ownership.

Since then, the problem has disappeared and was so minor, that it went away by the time I hopped on the highway for my commute to school (which is less than a mile from my house to the on-ramp). Even when I did experience flat-spotting, it didn't hinder my driving, nor take away from my overall good impression of the tires.

You may have a point about the potential change in the construction/materials of the tires from your set four years ago, to mine - my tires were produced the 36th week of 2012, so are still very fresh (and also cost less than $700 altogether from Discount... Crazy how much the price has gone down since you bought them! ). That's a big time period for Conti to make changes to improve (or make worse, if they've gone down in price)... But that's speculation on my part and we will never know.

In the tire hierarchy, I don't consider the DWS to be that expensive for what it offers; it was comparable in price to the shitty Kumho Ecsta ASTs I purchased from the dealership (the first full set I put on this car, and that I would steer everybody away from), and if these last longer than 20,000 miles (what the Kumhos did), then I'm a happy camper and will probably be a repeat customer.

Flat spotting is a prevalent issue with this tire, I believe most of us can agree with that. There will always be fans and critics for each product in the world. I've heard good things about the Nitto Motivo and Bridgestone Potenzas, and the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 looks to be a good choice too in the all-season category... All of these would be quality tires in my eyes. I'm no tire guru, but I went with the safe choice of Contis after researching, and couldn't be happier with them!
Thanks I agree with your post 100%. Who knows things might have changed. My thought on the tires are good or bad it is just a reference point. I am not trying to convince anyone not to buy DWS here...or the other way around. I am looking for another brand which could fit my needs. Not to get DWS thrown at me while shouting "listen your car had issues DWS is the best tire on the planet". Very reason I posted here was to get few reference point from Acura folks. Never thought I was about to offend few over here who worships DWS .

If you are happy you should defnitly go with DWS....if you are not and checked everything else in the car you should be blind to go get another DWS in this tire market
Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sears Auto in South jersey has the Continental ExtremeContact DWS - 235/45R17 All 4 for $593 installed. Just getting myn installed this weekend.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
FYI, $70 rebate on Continental DWS (and other Conti tires) from TireRack on a purchase over $440. Good through April 4:

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffer...p?promoID=C417

The same deal is available from any Conti retailer, but the purchase price must be $499 or more. Not really a factor for DWS, since I haven't seen them go for until $500:

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/t...motion_en.html
Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
FYI, $70 rebate on Continental DWS (and other Conti tires) from TireRack on a purchase over $440. Good through April 4:

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffer...p?promoID=C417

The same deal is available from any Conti retailer, but the purchase price must be $499 or more. Not really a factor for DWS, since I haven't seen them go for until $500:

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/t...motion_en.html
Good to know, the DWS were my most fav tire for my 08 Type S, they lasted me almost 85000 km which is just over 50K miles, I was impressed, I now need to take my winteres off an buy new all seasons. I was planning to jump on the Hankook V2 Concept H437's for 340 from DTD after a smoking 100 off any purchase over 400 ending tomorrow. Howeever they only had a few sets and the deal is done on 245/45/17. So right now I am looking at $399 shipped for the same tires in 235 stock size. I plan to have my car at least one more year, possibly 1.5, I will be due for the large timing belt service I put on approx 20K miles/yr so i need tires to last me at least 45Km so I can sell/trade the car with something left.

I am debating spending the extra for the DWS at $532, but is it worth it? I wish I knew of some other sub 400 shipped options that would get me thru

Last edited by cisco kid; 03-15-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

I went with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's for $332 shipped, just can not pass that deal up in stock 235/45/17 size
Old 07-06-2015, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like thread kinda died.

My Conti's wore out at about 28,000. Pretty funky wearability in my book. America's Tire gave me a good payoff for early wear and I got a set of nice Michelins which hopefully will last quite a bit longer.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by olddude

My Conti's wore out at about 28,000. Pretty funky wearability in my book. America's Tire gave me a good payoff for early wear and I got a set of nice Michelins which hopefully will last quite a bit longer.
I wouldn't count on that... I've run the Pilot Sport AS and Pilot Sport AS Plus, and both of those tires were great traction wise, but sucked wear wise... Not only do they wear out at 20,000 miles, they wore out unevenly, despite me being religious about tire inflation and alignment... and I'm talking about using said tires on two different cars... I'm never buying Michelins again...

Interesting you only got 28k miles on your contis... I got between 35,000 and 40,000 miles on my two sets of DWS, and people told me I drive like a maniac...
Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Race Director

Yeah, at 40K, I still had 4/32" to 5/32" tread left on my DWS.... Don't see how folks are only getting 28K on the DWS'////
Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by olddude

Originally Posted by avs007
I wouldn't count on that... I've run the Pilot Sport AS and Pilot Sport AS Plus, and both of those tires were great traction wise, but sucked wear wise... Not only do they wear out at 20,000 miles, they wore out unevenly, despite me being religious about tire inflation and alignment... and I'm talking about using said tires on two different cars... I'm never buying Michelins again...

Interesting you only got 28k miles on your contis... I got between 35,000 and 40,000 miles on my two sets of DWS, and people told me I drive like a maniac...
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Yeah, at 40K, I still had 4/32" to 5/32" tread left on my DWS.... Don't see how folks are only getting 28K on the DWS'////
Add me to the list of people that burned these out in under 25000 miles. I think I rotated them maybe 1 or 2 times, but I haven't rotated in a while. The fronts got eaten down to almost nothing fast.

Guess i'll be adding only 2 new to the front since the backs look good still. Sad tires don't last that long, but my original Michelin's that came with the car didn't last more than 30,000 or so. I definitely drive spirited but I don't do burn outs or anything like that so I wish I could get more out of them.

Comparing the DWS to the original stock tire that came on my 2008, performance wise the DWS definitely don't handle as good. I remember when they first were changed the sidewalls felt soft and unstable on sharp bends and turns and I had to adjust how I drove, and that feeling never left. If I needed 4 tires I'd probably mix it up back to the stock tire, or to something different. I do remember the DWS being way cheaper than the stock tire though, and reviews on the DWS were top, that's why I went with them.

Coolest part of these tires is that the DWS (Dry/Water/Snow) wears out in the tread to DW (Dry/Water), and then to D (Dry). Cool factor points for that.

Not a bad tire by any means, just seem to burn out prematurely, and they definitely have a softer sidewall making fast bends and turns less safe.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
Get the dws06. They stiffened the sidewall a lot and this is the best tire I've ever had. They made huge improvements to it!!
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockr1
Get the dws06. They stiffened the sidewall a lot and this is the best tire I've ever had. They made huge improvements to it!!
Really? That is promising to hear since I've been very happy with this tire, except for the soft sidewall. Considering they burn out quicker than others, but they are priced cheaper it seems like a standard compromise.

Any idea when they stiffened the sidewall? I'm guessing my tire should say the model so i'll go see if I have the regular DWS, or the DWS06, but based on how spongy they are they must be from before they stiffened them.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MustBeTL
Really? That is promising to hear since I've been very happy with this tire, except for the soft sidewall. Considering they burn out quicker than others, but they are priced cheaper it seems like a standard compromise.

Any idea when they stiffened the sidewall? I'm guessing my tire should say the model so i'll go see if I have the regular DWS, or the DWS06, but based on how spongy they are they must be from before they stiffened them.
The tread pattern is actually a little different, so it should be easy to tell which you have: (That link says the DWS06 was released in May'2015)

Old 03-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
I plan on trying the DWS06's as my next tire on my type S stockers
Old 03-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
Thanks for the advice. I've gone through at least two sets of DWS and love them for the grip in all conditions, but have always had a little discomfort in hard turns due to the rolling effect of the soft sidewalls.

DWS and stiffer sidewall sounds like the perfect all season tire and I'm almost ready for at least a pair.

For a set of four Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 245/45ZR17 I see $552.00 delivered from tires-easy.com, $573.20 delivered from tirerack.com, $575.96 delivered from tirebuyer.com and $568.00 at Sears.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Race Director

PM Sonny from TireRack. He may match/beat the lower price.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

i've had the dws06 on my wheels for about 5 months now and i absolutely love them. i didn't get the dws on my previous set because of the soft sidewall and i like to take corners hard. once i talked to sonny at tire rack and some others about the new design, i went for them and they are just as good or better than my previous set which was bridgestone potenza re970as.

go for it!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Yup I saw that tread difference. I called Continental today to ask about the DWS vs the DWS06 and the guy put me on hold to go talk with an engineer. He came back and said that the sidewall is supposedly slightly improved, but he said it probably wouldn't make enough of a difference to tell. Who the heck knows who he asked or if he even talked to anyone, i'll take your guys advise.

From the pictures alone it looks like the tread is beefier, and the tier doesn't drop down as much near the sides, and the different ratings have gone up on the Continental site. For the price, these are great tires.

I called a few local shops and they all want around $150-$175 or so installed, not horrible. One place said $345 for 2 installed with a front alignment included. 2 guys said their warehouses showed not available on 235/45/ZR17's in the old DWS, so does that mean they are officially replaced with the DWS06?

Anyone think it would be bad to have 2 new DWS06's on the front, and 2 older DWS with decent tread left on the backs? Would having the harder sidewall in the front, but softer in the back lead me to think the car is handling better than it really is on hard turns? I'd hate to have the backs let me down.

My wheels definitely burned down prematurely, but I probably didn't rotate enough. Do you all rotate every 6K miles?

DWS06
http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...-23545zr17-94w

DWS
http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...23545r17-94w/?

Last edited by MustBeTL; 03-04-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

They are much stiffer than "slightly" from all the people I talked to. I think I read or heard 40% stiffer somewhere.

I rotate every 5k and align every 10k. Discount tire and Firestone for each service respectively, no extra cost
Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MustBeTL
Yup I saw that tread difference. I called Continental today to ask about the DWS vs the DWS06 and the guy put me on hold to go talk with an engineer. He came back and said that the sidewall is supposedly slightly improved, but he said it probably wouldn't make enough of a difference to tell. Who the heck knows who he asked or if he even talked to anyone, i'll take your guys advise.

From the pictures alone it looks like the tread is beefier, and the tier doesn't drop down as much near the sides, and the different ratings have gone up on the Continental site. For the price, these are great tires.

I called a few local shops and they all want around $150-$175 or so installed, not horrible. One place said $345 for 2 installed with a front alignment included. 2 guys said their warehouses showed not available on 235/45/ZR17's in the old DWS, so does that mean they are officially replaced with the DWS06?

Anyone think it would be bad to have 2 new DWS06's on the front, and 2 older DWS with decent tread left on the backs? Would having the harder sidewall in the front, but softer in the back lead me to think the car is handling better than it really is on hard turns? I'd hate to have the backs let me down.

My wheels definitely burned down prematurely, but I probably didn't rotate enough. Do you all rotate every 6K miles?

DWS06
Continental

DWS
Continental
I just bought a set a few weeks ago. They told me the DWS is discontinued and was replaced with the DWS06.

Also, I've gotten 4 on my other car with staggered wheels and had them prorate the warranty for the tires that weren't worn. I've had problems with mixing tire models as the VSA would wig out on me in mild curves. Never had an issue with the tire shop giving me a warranty credit on the tires.

I also rotate every oil change, or every other if it's too cold or feeling lazy.

Last edited by avs007; 03-04-2016 at 09:22 PM.