New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, will try 35psi, can definitely use the extra mileage.

I've had the dws for 2 days now, but the difference between my old sumitomo and these is night and day. The ride is waay better and am getting better mileage.

Also, I know this is not relevant here but this is my first car and bought it for $14000 at 95k. I changed the tires on it and will have the major service come up at 105k. Do you guys think I spent too much? I am asking because one of my friends is looking to get a used TL at around that price. I could atleast save him some money.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by greatidentity
Thanks, will try 35psi, can definitely use the extra mileage.

I've had the dws for 2 days now, but the difference between my old sumitomo and these is night and day. The ride is waay better and am getting better mileage.

Also, I know this is not relevant here but this is my first car and bought it for $14000 at 95k. I changed the tires on it and will have the major service come up at 105k. Do you guys think I spent too much? I am asking because one of my friends is looking to get a used TL at around that price. I could atleast save him some money.
I think you did well but we dont even know the year or trim level of your car or the car your buddy is looking at for that matter which would/could make the price and/or value different.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I have the 235/45R17 Continental DWS and they are prone to flat-spotting. I have the air pressure set @ 35F/32R and it's still an issue. However, I've definitely liked them after getting them roadforce balanced properly by a competent tech. I had to get 2 replacements from Discount Tire Direct because of excessive roadforce; my current set has minimal roadforce variation.

For comparison, the stickiest tires I have ever driven on are the Hankook v12 Evos. These DWS tires definitely do not have as much grip around corners or as sharp of turn-in (improved @ 35F psi). However, they should last a lot longer and be more comfortable for daily driving.
The following users liked this post:
Mikeyd68 (09-29-2021)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conti DWS vs. Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Tire Rack has these as best sellers for the TL-S. The Michelin are almost double the price of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Are they that much better?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Mikeyd68 (09-29-2021)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I have always bought the best and most expensive tires in the past. Not anymore. I was considering the Conti DWS, but changed my mind. I am going to get the Conti ExtremeContact DW. They are rated awesome !!! And a good price.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ JD, if you live in Northern Illinois, you get a lot of snow. You might reconsider the DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) instead of just the DW's....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
Tire Rack has these as best sellers for the TL-S. The Michelin are almost double the price of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Are they that much better?

Thanks!
I have both the DWS and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, although my G35 Coupe is the one with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

However, before I put those tires on, both our TL and my G35 had Bridgestone RE960AS, before putting DWS on the TL and the Pilots on the G35, so at least I have something to compare as baseline.

Compared the the RE960, the DWS is superior no question.
Compared to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, I feel the Pilots have better dry traction and cornering stability than the DWS, as the DWS edged out the RE960AS slightly on the TL, but on my G35, the Pilots seem significantly more sure footed than the RE960AS. One of my friends (that lives down the street) has Pilot Sport A/S Plus on his TL, and when I've ridden in his car, he seems to be able to take the corners near our house a little more aggressively than I can with the DWS. (Although I think riding shotgun, and being driver plays tricks on the butt dyno)

If you are going to be driving in any kind of snow, the DWS are hands down better, as I have made it home in snow storms that my friend couldn't.

The only issue I have with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, is tread wear... I've had the non-plus version on my G35, and those were worn down till they were bald in only 20,000 miles. The Plus versions have a 45,000 miles warranty, but I noticed it says that on staggered setups, the rears are only warrantied for 25,000 miles.

When I had DWS on the TL, they were down to the wearbars around 40,000 miles. I think the warranty was 50,000 miles, so I got some credits when I had new DWS put on.

FWIW, the only reason I switched to RE960 from the Pilot Sport A/S (Non Plus) was because of tread wear, as I wanted a warranty cuz I didn't want to pay $300 a pop every 20,000 miles... But I didn't care for the performance of the RE960AS, so I switched to Pilot Sport A/S Plus, as I loved the performance of the non plus versions... The warranty helped a ton, cuz I got all my tires pro-rated when I installed the A/S Plus, and I expect the same will happen when they wear out at 20-25,000 miles.

The DWS I was very satisifed with traction, handling, and tread wear. The main reason I went with Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my Infiniti instead of DWS like the TL, is because I wanted to compare the two tires...

So honestly, I think it comes down to snow... The Pilots are fairly competent in the snow, but I've taken the DWS for a drive in 6" - 9" of snow with glare ice, up a hill, without any ill-effects or traction aids, so that played a big part on why I put DWS on our TL, since my G35 doesn't really see snow, unless it snows while I'm at work. So that's why I also leaned towards the pilots on that car, because I don't anticipate having to drive in snow, unless I'm forced to, so I wanted to have the maximum fun tire while still being competent to get me home in the snow in a pinch, as I feel the Pilots have the edge in dry/handling.

Last edited by avs007; 12-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I have always bought the best and most expensive tires in the past. Not anymore. I was considering the Conti DWS, but changed my mind. I am going to get the Conti ExtremeContact DW. They are rated awesome !!! And a good price.
Curious why you changed your mind. Not drive in the snow that much?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ JD, if you live in Northern Illinois, you get a lot of snow. You might reconsider the DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) instead of just the DW's....
This is true.

I was also looking at the DW but considering that we get ice and snow even as far south as here, especially with the 13" of snow we got last winter, I went with the DWS.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
Curious why you changed your mind. Not drive in the snow that much?
I drove a 2010 2SS/RS with OEM Pirelli P-Zero tires almost bald last winter, after the streets were cleared I was very careful. I use a 1999 Buick when I HAVE TO GO SOMEWHERE and its snowing. My first car was a 1971 Chevelle Malibu with a POS 1 wheel drive pumpkin, old tires, and a 365hp LT-1. Its ALL about experience, brains, and commen sense. I know alot about tires brothers and sisters.

I will use OEM all seasons when I have to.

Hope you like the DWS Conti's, they are nice tires.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
.... 1 wheel drive pumpkin, old tires, and a 365hp LT-1. Its ALL about experience, brains, and commen sense. ....
.... And tires.

Fortunately:

.... I know alot about tires brothers and sisters.

What you may know, but many reading this might not, is that "Summer" tires, like the DW, have issues in just plain old cold weather.

Some "Summer" tire compounds start to lose grip at temperatures well above freezing. For some tires the "grip profile" is very dramatic; once a certain ambient temperature is reached, grip falls off VERY quickly. All depends on the specific tire, compound and design, of course.

So it's not just a question of "does it snow where you live".

Last edited by Bearcat94; 12-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
What you may know, but many reading this might not, is that "Summer" tires, like the DW, have issued in just plain old cold weather.

Some "Summer" tire compounds start to lose grip at temperatures well above freezing. For some tires the "grip profile" is very dramatic; once a certain ambient temperature is reached, grip falls off VERY quickly. All depends on the specific tire, compound and design, of course.

So it's not just a question of "does it snow where you live".
^^ This...
That was the reason I got my Original Pilot Sport A/S in the first place, becuase the Summer only Pilot Sports that came on my other car, was like driving on ice cubes if it was < 50 degrees outside, especially if it was damp. No problems at all with the A/S version of the tire.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
^^ This...
That was the reason I got my Original Pilot Sport A/S in the first place, becuase the Summer only Pilot Sports that came on my other car, was like driving on ice cubes if it was < 50 degrees outside, especially if it was damp. No problems at all with the A/S version of the tire.
Same here. It rarely snows, but it gets in that 35 - 45 degree range often enough that summer tires aren't worth the "risk" with a daily driver.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
This is true.

I was also looking at the DW but considering that we get ice and snow even as far south as here, especially with the 13" of snow we got last winter, I went with the DWS.

We just got snow last week here and I got a chance to use the S in DWS. Either way I have enjoyed the DWS tire and I feel it to be a very suited tire in many occasions. Although I rarely drive my car in incliment weather.
I have DWS front and Michelin rears. Way I bought the car.

When I step up to a larger rim I am not sure if the 1500.00 per set will be worth staying with the DWS tire though.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
We just got snow last week here and I got a chance to use the S in DWS. Either way I have enjoyed the DWS tire and I feel it to be a very suited tire in many occasions. Although I rarely drive my car in incliment weather.
I have DWS front and Michelin rears. Way I bought the car.

When I step up to a larger rim I am not sure if the 1500.00 per set will be worth staying with the DWS tire though.
If I were you I would step up to a larger wheel with a high performance tire and keep the stocks as dedicated winter wheels.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 AM
Spazzz

31,000 on the DWS and my S is now gone. Flat spots in the morning, but no vibration issues after about a mile of driving.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Cruisin'

I live in Florida so its mostly dry but we get some rain a few months out of the year. Do you guys recommend Pilot Sport A/S Plus or DWS?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 444 Posts
Read the entire thread or the rest of the other threads. If you don't need winter/snow/ice, go with the DW. Knowing if the DWS or the PS+ are better is up to the individual. Read through all of the info and make that choice yourself.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Read the entire thread or the rest of the other threads. If you don't need winter/snow/ice, go with the DW. Knowing if the DWS or the PS+ are better is up to the individual. Read through all of the info and make that choice yourself.
Just to add, although the DW is a great summer tire, one must also take into consideration the faster tread wear on non A/S tires. The DW will need replacement when the DWS still has 40% tread remaining and as far as the Michelin vs. DWS debate, guess the decision is up to each individual, and as there are certainly a great many replies I'll not repeat my choice.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for their input re tires for TL's. I found myself, at 37,000+ miles, needing tires for my 2008 TL. The stock Turanza's were wearing out (fronts more than rears) and the time was right to purchase new tires. I started pricing, and found that the Michelin's and the Continental's were the two main choices. I was leaning towards the Michelins, but after "decoding" people's preferences and driving styles on this thread, I chose the DSW's. Partly for the price, for sure, but also for extended road wear and for the fact that I am not driving aggressively. The DSW's just seemed to fit the bill. So I went to America's Tires, they met the TireRack price, and now I am newly shod. The tires felt nice on the way home (city streets, <40mph), and tomorrow I will see how they feel on the freeway (Southern Cal). So, thanks again. This thread really helped me to make an educated decision based, not just on price, but on a myriad of other factors as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by olddude:
Bearcat94 (06-22-2012), Undying Dreams (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

I'm finally through my A/S Plus. They have been phenomenal, the best tire I've run yet.

Since I like to try stuff out, I'm having DWS mounted Monday AM. Time to give these a run.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ I'm probably going to go with the DWS's this next time. I liked the AS Pluses but they did not live up to the 45k warranty. I have 25k on my Pluses and maybe I have 5k miles left on them. They were a great tire for dry traction, but they are not now that they're worn. I would pay the premium if the tires actually lasted 40k miles but they did not so it's time to check out some others.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Malloy
I'm finally through my A/S Plus. They have been phenomenal, the best tire I've run yet.

Since I like to try stuff out, I'm having DWS mounted Monday AM. Time to give these a run.
Let us know how you like the DWS's compared to the A/S Plus's. I went with the A/S Plus's after the MXM4's wore out. I love them so far!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
thought i would bump this thread re: the DWS tires.

continental has discontinued the OEM 18" tire size (235/40/18-i just spoke with conti directly). this is apparently the same OEM 18 size that some audi's have as well. and as far as i can tell they look like they might be discontinuing the 245/40/18 as well since tirerack has these on closeout. as far as stock 17"....looks like they will still carry that size for now.

i'm finding this out the hard way...i have some minor sidewall damage to one of mine, and i'm trying to locate ONE to replace it. tirerack is seeing what they can do to help me out. ugh. i only have 7k mi on these...

despite the performance of the DWS tires i guess another thing to consider is the availability of a tire should anything happen to one. had i known this was going to be an issue...i might have considered different tires. live and learn.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor

TLtrigirl,

You might want to check out Town Fair Tire if you have one near you. They matched Tire Racks prices and had them in stock when I got them done.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

red baron...just checked their site...no dice. they only carry the procontact tire in my size (235/40/18). but thanks!

i think this is a new thing since the spring for this specific size. audizine folks were wondering what happened back in may for the same tire size.

i have a few sites that i need to check out (ie call to make sure they physically have the tire in stock vs. what the website says).
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

tirerack is awesome (prompt about helping me out and getting the tire for me). they were able to get one from conti directly from their reserve. for future reference for those looking to get conti DWS tires...beware of the availability issues if you happen to have something freakish happen to your tires and there is still plenty of life in them.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm running on the RE970AS, anyone compare these with the DWS? I'm reading the post and it seems that the DWS suffer flat spots and cornering is an issue for spirited. drivers due to the soft side walls
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
thought i would bump this thread re: the DWS tires.

continental has discontinued the OEM 18" tire size (235/40/18-i just spoke with conti directly). this is apparently the same OEM 18 size that some audi's have as well. and as far as i can tell they look like they might be discontinuing the 245/40/18 as well since tirerack has these on closeout. as far as stock 17"....looks like they will still carry that size for now.

i'm finding this out the hard way...i have some minor sidewall damage to one of mine, and i'm trying to locate ONE to replace it. tirerack is seeing what they can do to help me out. ugh. i only have 7k mi on these...

despite the performance of the DWS tires i guess another thing to consider is the availability of a tire should anything happen to one. had i known this was going to be an issue...i might have considered different tires. live and learn.
I just had new Continental Extreme Contact DWS installed last week. The installer told me they were now called Continental Extreme Contact DWS "Tuned". Could this be a new version of the tire and that's why the regular ones are listed as discontinued? Anyone know?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Yakuza17
I just had new Continental Extreme Contact DWS installed last week. The installer told me they were now called Continental Extreme Contact DWS "Tuned". Could this be a new version of the tire and that's why the regular ones are listed as discontinued? Anyone know?
nope. the ones i have say "tuned" on the tires in raised letters under the DWS on the sidewall.

what size did you have installed?

those running 18's...are gonna need to find a different tire unless conti decides to offer them in 18's that would work on our car (read: the 235 or 245 widths).

the nitto motivos are getting good reviews thus far...if and when (and if the tires are still made) might be the next tires that go onto my TL.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Instructor

I have some edge wear on my tires and I am considering replacing them all with this tire. I had searched a couple of weeks ago on tirerack/discounttiredirect and it was saying closeout/discontinued etc for 245/40/18s, but now on Tirerack for these its saying "New" and nothing about discontinued on discounttiredirect either.

Any idea's what's going on? I'd like to go with these, I considered Michelin Pilot Spot A/S but I just don't want to spend that much. Tirerack has them for $768 plus shipping (only Indiana warehouse has stock for $75.56 shipping) and discounttiredirect.com has them for $692 shipped.. Pretty big price difference.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 07-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

hmm, interesting. looks like conti upped the load rating on the 235/40/18's (the new arrival on tirerack) after discontinuing this size with a 91Y load rating.

the "new" 235/40/18's are now load rated at 95Y with a load range XL. they also cost more too.

i believe this is the same deal with the 245/40/18's as well (since they were discontinued and now available as a "new" product).

slayer-i'd say go for the conti's if you want them and then report back on the handling abilities of the tire. maybe conti improved the tire to handle a little more spirited cornering.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 07-31-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
9th Gear

I have had the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires for a while now and I also HAD the Michelin tires. I like both but the DWS tires seem to be every bit as good, maybe better than the Michelins. They will replace them up to a certain point if they are damaged by road debris for free, they ride good, good as far as noise goes and my TL handles great. I am sold on these tires for my car. Had my car in for repairs today and noticed they are now selling Continentals.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I also have DWS on my 08. My tires are only one year old and when they finally wear out I will not be going elsewhere. These are awesome tires and they look fantastic on the car. My next set will be Conti DWS!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Since others bumped this thread, I'll add that I recently drove from California to Colorado and enjoyed 33 MPG with my Continental DWS, 235/45/17. I'm a 6MT, at 95k miles, factory timing belt and other major engine parts, using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and generally keep things in good shape. Rolling on 17" stock 2007 rims.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  29.0 KB
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Continental DWS

Originally Posted by triax37
Since others bumped this thread, I'll add that I recently drove from California to Colorado and enjoyed 33 MPG with my Continental DWS, 235/45/17. I'm a 6MT, at 95k miles, factory timing belt and other major engine parts, using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and generally keep things in good shape. Rolling on 17" stock 2007 rims.
I just purchased the Conti DWS for my TSX I came across this thread and was wondering what kind of fuel economy I can expect? I had Michilin Pilots MXM4 prior.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
As good of mileage as I've had for any tire, if not the best.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Spazzz

Update

Well, My first set of DWS's are toast. I got 40,377 miles out of them. Went back to the same shop I bought them from and told me that "Continetal will not accept a warranty claim with out proof of rotation evry 6,000 miles and an alignment every 12 months" Well since I do my own rotations with every oil change, I have no such "proof". Not sure if this is true. Has anybody had any experience with the Warranty of these tires yet?

Originally Posted by AJHardee
31,000 on the DWS and my S is now gone. Flat spots in the morning, but no vibration issues after about a mile of driving.

Last edited by AJHardee; 09-11-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by AJHardee
Well, My first set of DWS's are toast. I got 40,377 miles out of them. Went back to the same shop I bought them from and told me that "Continetal will not accept a warranty claim with out proof of rotation evry 6,000 miles and an alignment every 12 months" Well since I do my own rotations with every oil change, I have no such "proof". Not sure if this is true. Has anybody had any experience with the Warranty of these tires yet?
Though these tyiz are amongst the top 5 rated Ultra High Performance All Season in Consumer Reports tests, Consumer Reports gave them a BLACK circle for tread wear.

Quick Reply: New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?