New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerCD
One irritation though was the former weights that were attached to the inside of the rims (The flat weights for balancing that are attached by tape.) As soon as I got home, I started working on removing the old black tape. Got most of it, but I guess it is better than the lip hanging weights on the outside of the rim that I have seen on my older cars.
Use 3M adhesive remover

Originally Posted by VicTL06
I ordered the OEM size, i.e., 235/40-18
As the 18 size has now been introduced, just for future reference, the OE ES 100 235/40-18 load rating was 95 and the DWS is only 91, actually not even up to the OE Michelin 235/45-17 93 load rating. Not that the difference is going to create a safety problem, it’s an indication of the carcass construction. In this size, the DWS is not the only tire that carries the 91 load rating, but just another category to keep in mind. Interesting that the DW has a 95 load rating though.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
^^^^Yeah, and there's even more to the story. His suspension and steering was and still is pretty screwed up. Hard to blame tires with something as messed up as the suspension and alignment was and still is on that car:

Originally Posted by FollowingNFront
Well I have good news and bad news... Good news is the bushings are in and the steering is MUUUUUCH tighter!!!!
Bad news is: When they gave me back the car the alignment was off... So I brought it back and the alignment is STILL off. Turns out their machine must be messed up because two alignment sheets printed out within 20 mins of each other gave front toe readings of -.6 and 0.0 (Left/right)...... And then -.6 and 1.2 (Left/right)..... They didn't adjust the right side between printouts they only adjusted the rear.
Also the readings for my caster and camber fluctuated between all 3 printouts I got... So NOW, my alignment is worse than it was when they initally finished the first alignment... Even though according to the printout, its in alingment now... SMFH!
Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to swing by Firestone (lifetime alignment) and see if they can align it for me after school. I'll keep posted
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
^^^^Yeah, and there's even more to the story. His suspension and steering was and still is pretty screwed up. Hard to blame tires with something as messed up as the suspension and alignment was and still is on that car:
Ummmmmm..... What you just quoted has nothing to do with the steering I was feeling before... My steering was TIGHT when I posted what you just quoted... The aligment was just off because of their machine... IT CLEARLY STATES THEIR MACHINE HAS A PROBLEM... Don't misrepresent what I'm saying because you want to make it seem like it goes with what you're argument is.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Really Really happy with these tires so far but I have only put on about 200 miles but so far they are great smooth and quiet, exactly what I wanted.

Now what is recommended tire pressure everyone is running in these DWS's??
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cisco kid
Really Really happy with these tires so far but I have only put on about 200 miles but so far they are great smooth and quiet, exactly what I wanted.

Now what is recommended tire pressure everyone is running in these DWS's??
On Continental's website they have a chart for each car and size. Check it out.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time because I was looking for tires for my A-spec wheels and ended up going with the Michelin Pilot A/S sports. There are definitely a lot of good opinions, facts, and info here. I had the Conti DWS tires on my previous car (Scion tC) and they were a really good tire. I only had them on the car for about 1,000 miles before I sold it so I can’t really give any long term feedback but definitely a great “bang for the buck” tire. I’ve had various types of Michelin tires on previous vehicles and never had any issues with them so that’s why I went with these. I got them for $816 shipped (235/40/18). I’ll be chiming in with updates on them from time to time for anyone considering these too.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up a set

I got a set of the Continental ExtremeContract DWS tires from Discount Tire. The salesmen and technicians couldn't stop raving about these tires. One of the salesmen had them on his car and predicted that I had a TL based on the tire and size I requested. He said a lot of TL owners have been replacing their OEMs with these tires.

I got the tires for $607.50 out the door - $139/tire, $40 installation and a state environmental fee of $2 + change per tire. In NC, Discount Tire is running a special today (and yesterday) where they subtract your sales tax. Also, I was able to negotiate to get their mounting, balancing and installation fee reduced. I just told them I only wanted to buy tires and I would have them installed by a garage that offers installation service at $10/tire. They matched it to keep my business. I guess everything is negotiable these days.

So far, I am happy with the tires. I did a bit of spirited driving on dry payment on the way home and these tires really stick to the road. I'll take a 4 hour trip tomorrow, so I'll get to try them out on the highway, interstate and a few back roads. Also, time to plan another mountain drive!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I had some 245/45-17s Conti's put on last week, I then took a drive from Philly to Boston. They feel good. TBH it was all highway and I wasn't exactly testing my limits so I didn't feel THAT big of a difference but I like the piece of mind I have knowing I've got a great set of tires on. I'm also not an aggressive driver in the first place, so I'm probably less likely to notice a difference.

I'm excited to see them in the rain and snow though!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
07 ASM TL-S UA7Squad (49)

So I bought a set of Conti's this past week and just drove from Cincinnati to Columbus in a storm with heavy rain for most of the drive and these tires didn't slip once. I felt like I had 4 wheel drive and just kept on driving 65-70. At one point I couldn't see but kept on cruzing along. I highly recommend these to anyone who is needing a replacement set. Oh and they are very quite on dry pavement.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FollowingNFront
On Continental's website they have a chart for each car and size. Check it out.
Thanks
http://tireselector.conti-online.com/selector.php

They are recommending 35 front 32 rear with 245/45/17, feedback from others with same size on the TL Type S?

On a side note now that I have had this car for just under 2 mths and have had a chance to compare it to wifes 08 G35X I gotta say I love it but the G35X is just better overall, personal opinion...... Style wise I prefer the TL, intersting how different they are.... yet both a blast in their own
Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

I have these Continentals on my Forester XT. I love them. If you go to the Tire-rack and look at specs they are very light too. Im going to put them on my Accord also.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
After finding out I had extreme tire wear on the insides during my timing belt replacement, I had to bite the bullet and get new shoes this week.

Got the 245/45-17 DWS after coming from the 255/45 Pilot A/S. A lot quieter, although that may have something to do with the wear of the Pilots. Going for an alignment early next week to correct the camber.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll be very happy. Got about 15k+ on mine and they're still very quiet.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I just had an Eibach rear camber kit installed on my Type S today. I had to get it because I got H&R Sports Springs to lower the car.

The Master Technician that did the install and alignment drove the Type S afterwards and raved about the Continentals (we had heavy rain here today in Kansas City).

Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
On my old accord I went through about 6 sets of tires and ended with the DWS and I thought to myself that THESE were it, they are awesome tires! The 3rd day I had my TL I got the DWS' again.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Racer

a little update-

I have had my DWS (245/40/18) tires for 20mos now and have around 25kmiles on them and they still look great and have over 50% tread remaining. The only issue i continue to have is the flat spotting problem and it drives me crazy to the point where i probably wouldn't buy them again just for this reason. I know many are not having this problem, but given my fairly short commute, i never seem to drive it long enough to ever experience a smooth ride. I know flat spotting is fairly common in cold temps with a tire of this size, but these things flat spot every day all year long. Otherwise the tires fit the TL ride perfectly.

Last edited by ajs800; 05-25-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by ajs800
a little update-

I have had my DWS (245/40/18) tires for 20mos now and have around 25kmiles on them and they still look great and have over 50% tread remaining. The only issue i continue to have is the flat spotting problem and it drives me crazy to the point where i probably wouldn't buy them again just for this reason. I know many are not having this problem, but given my fairly short commute, i never seem to drive it long enough to ever experience a smooth ride. I know flat spotting is fairly common in cold temps with a tire of this size, but these things flat spot every day all year long. Otherwise the tires fit the TL ride perfectly.
have you tried upping the PSI a little. i found that it helps. though in winter...can't do too much about it. i have 235/40/18...on a MT OEM psi is 35/32, i run them at 38/35. feels better with the flatspotting going away after a couple of miles.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I wonder if the 18" and/or the 40 sidewall has something to do with this. I'm guessing it's more likely the shorter sidewall.

I'm running stock size DWS' and have had no issues with FS in North Dakota
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro

^ Same here, in Baltimore with 245/45-17's.

I never thought about it, but the 40 sidewall might be it...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Racer

I've wondered that as well...I'm also thinking it could have something to do with them being an early batch as I picked mine up just a month or so after they were released. There are others on here (located in 4season climates) with the same size and have not had any issues.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by ajs800
I've wondered that as well...I'm also thinking it could have something to do with them being an early batch as I picked mine up just a month or so after they were released. There are others on here (located in 4season climates) with the same size and have not had any issues.
i got mine last fall from tirerack. so i'm not sure your early batch theory would work.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i got mine last fall from tirerack. so i'm not sure your early batch theory would work.
That's a whole year after I received mine. I purchased mine July of 2009.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Just picked up my 245/35/19 dws's the tech guy there said this was a great tire, but a soft wall, recommended 39 psi
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I picked up a set yesterday. I bought a 2008 TL 2 weeks ago and it had Hankook Ventus on them and I hated them. They gripped really well, but were loud and it seems like the last owner did not do a good job with the alignment and they were cut really bad. Dealership paid about 70% for the replacement.

I am happy so far. Very quiet on asphalt and concrete road surfaces. I have a 300 mile trip on Tuesday so I will have a better idea after that.

This thread really helped with my decision. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
RAR

After driving around on these for a bit, i must say i've been impressed by how quiet and how soft the ride is. I swear these make the ride in my 19's feel softer than how my 17's (on conti etremecontacts) felt. Cornering is sufficient for daily driving.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Cont DWS price makes it very attractive buy. Plus the reviews have been positive.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I've had DWS for about 10k miles or so. The dry traction seems a little off from the GY eagles I had on previously, but they are quieter in turns. They are better in the wet and snow. Additionally the highway is quieter and I picked up a couple MPG with the switch. The one real downside is the sidewalls are *VERY* soft for a sports tire. This makes steering response a little mushy compared to other stiffer tires. Overall I'm pretty happy with them as I'm mostly a highway cruiser at this point. If you're a canyon carver, you might want something with a stiffer sidewall.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

I just bought a 2008 Acura TL with 18k miles. Car has the original Bridgestone EL42 tires. I will need to replace them prior to winter.

In doing research, before I found this thread, I had already zeroed in on these Continentals.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but at this point, I have these questions:

1. After seeing the Tirerack reviews on the EL42...why in the name of all things holy would Acura have put this crappy tire on the TL?
2. How many miles have folks been getting on this DWS?
3. I have a vibration at interstate speed. The wheels are without scratch and tire place said they are true and unbent. They rebalanced them but I still have the vibration. Is this just the way it is with this tire?
4. How good of a balance have you been able to get on the DWS?
5. Since this thread began, is there another tire I should be looking at, too?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brookspw
I just bought a 2008 Acura TL with 18k miles. Car has the original Bridgestone EL42 tires. I will need to replace them prior to winter.

In doing research, before I found this thread, I had already zeroed in on these Continentals.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but at this point, I have these questions:

1. After seeing the Tirerack reviews on the EL42...why in the name of all things holy would Acura have put this crappy tire on the TL?
3. I have a vibration at interstate speed. The wheels are without scratch and tire place said they are true and unbent. They rebalanced them but I still have the vibration. Is this just the way it is with this tire?

Thanks
Another thought....any chance you have a wheel that is slightly bent?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Thanks
1.Acura did make a mistake with the EL42's and they were supposed to be "reforumulated" to help correct their deficiencies! I guess Acura signed a contract for X amount of tires from bridgestone expecting one thing and they got another.
2. Quite a few people I know have gotten the DWS and have been very happy with them.
3. If it's only at highway speeds then it's a balancing issue or a bent wheel. A tire shop has to be careful with the TL as it's sensitive to balancing. Make sure they clean off the rims and get rid of all the old glue and tape and stuff and rebalance them. As well it's VERY helpful to go to a place that uses a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCER. These machines apply a load to the tire to simulate the tire hitting the road to help detect issues.
4. Balancing any tire shouldn't be an issue as long as the folks doing it know what they are doing, IE cleaning the rim and using a good calibrated machine.
5. No clue as far as a great all season tire so far besides the DWS.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
All-seasons: Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus, Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions, Yokohama Advan S.4.

Check out the best finishers in the Tire Rack tests as well as the reviews. Advans replaced my TL's OEM Michelin MXM4s; summer tires or RE960s will probably replace the Advans (which are stickier and better than the MXM4s).

Welcome to AZ.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
All-seasons: Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus, Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions, Yokohama Advan S.4.

Check out the best finishers in the Tire Rack tests as well as the reviews. Advans replaced my TL's OEM Michelin MXM4s; summer tires or RE960s will probably replace the Advans (which are stickier and better than the MXM4s).

Welcome to AZ.
The Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions are GREAT tires and I'm on the second set on the TL. However the downside is that they are horrid in snow. Bridgestone recently came out with it's replacement, the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Cereal Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidLunch
The tires were Continental ContiContact Extremes or something like that.
Vibraton issues at different speeds.
That's an issue Im currently having.

Michelins are definitely worth the extra money. I got the Conti DW cuz they were the best bang for the buck and theyre a pretty good tire.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles are people getting on the DWS tires? I drive about 20k a year and want to know how often I would be replacing these. Also would there be any difference between 17" and 19" for wear? I'm thinking of upgrading rims at the same time.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

I would search later, but anyone experiencing some minor flat spotting with the DWS? I am noticing it. Not a huge deal, it is usually gone in a couple minutes, but it is noticeable. I am running 33 psi with Nitrogen.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I would search later, but anyone experiencing some minor flat spotting with the DWS? I am noticing it. Not a huge deal, it is usually gone in a couple minutes, but it is noticeable. I am running 33 psi with Nitrogen.
my tire install guy said to use 39psi cause they were such a soft sidewall. My guess is it goes away after the tires heat up and the psi goes up. Then again, he could have also said that cause i have a low profile configuration 245/35/19 and the additional psi would help prevent a blowout from running over things

Last edited by leedogg; 06-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 68sting
How many miles are people getting on the DWS tires? I drive about 20k a year and want to know how often I would be replacing these. Also would there be any difference between 17" and 19" for wear? I'm thinking of upgrading rims at the same time.
I drive about the same distance a year as you. I don't know exactly how many miles I've put on them, but I would guess it's very close to 20k and they're wearing excellently. I still see the first tire tread wear marker (the S in DWS) which makes me believe that I've barely tapped into their wear. I would expect to get 40k easily, and am very confident I'll get at least 50k.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Some people have experienced flatspotting. From following this thread from pretty much the beginning, I associate it most to two things; an early batch of tires (from 2009 or so), OR the smaller sidewall. I think the latter is the biggest culprit. All of the flatspotting complaints that I've seen have come from people running a 45 sidewall or smaller (with a 235 width). I've not seen any flatspotting complaints from 245/45 owners (myself included), a few from 235/45 owners, and increasingly more from owners with 18" or 19" wheels (which would call for a 40 or smaller sidewall). So it seems to me that the taller your sidewall the less likely you are to see flatspotting with these tires. However, I think you have to take into account the fact that there are fewer people running the 245/45 size than any other which may be the reason there have been no flatspotting complaints. But I know there are SEVERAL 235/45 guys that don't see flatspotting and live in cold areas. I personally have experienced absolutely 0 flatspotting with the 245/45 size and I live in Baltimore so it can get quite cold. EDIT*** I had these all throughout the winter and not only were they GREAT winter tires but I never experienced flatspotting in below freezing weather parking outside in the elements. I even left them parked ON snow/ice for two days and didn't get any flatspotting.

Originally Posted by leedogg
my tire install guy said to use 39psi cause they were such a soft sidewall. My guess is it goes away after the tires heat up and the psi goes up. Then again, he could have also said that cause i have a low profile configuration 245/35/19 and the additional psi would help prevent a blowout from running over things
I would agree with using a higher psi. I run about 36psi... I think the recommended 32 or 33 is a bit too low.

Last edited by jsonkimz; 06-16-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Instructor

I see everyone is going with the DWS's, I do not drive my baby in the Winter so I was looking at the straight DW's....Is anyone running those? I also see Conti just came out with a New tire called the ContiSportContact 5P that looks like a nice straight performer...Does anyone have any feedback on those bad boys?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

2008 TL -- just had the Conti ExtremeContact DWS installed this morning.

Back story -- got this car about 3 weeks ago. Only had 18k miles and still had the OEM Bridgestones. Still had good tread but wet traction was horrible. Would NOT balance true -- had vibration, especially in the 70-80 mph range. Each tire required at least 6 1/4 oz weights to balance. They did balance statically, but not dynamically or with a roadforce machine.

New DWS --
-- 1 wheel required, 3 1/4 oz weights, 2 wheels required 2, 1 wheel required 1.
-- Smooth as a baby's butt on the interstate. No road feel or vibration at all.
-- Much quieter, as well.
-- We'll see after a few miles, but so far a WORLD of difference.

Question on alignment: It needed alignment and now every measurement is perfectly in the middle of spec...EXCEPT Front Right Caster. The before reading was 2.4* and the after reading is 2.4*. The specified range is 2.5-4*.

What am I looking at here? What would cause this? Why would they not be able to get in within specs?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Did I mention these tires are light LOL. WHen you compare the weight of these tires to others the same size they are always the lightest, sometimes by alot. I think this accounts for people gaining mpg's. I have 225/45/18's on my Forester and they're only 21lbs a tire! These are the tires I will be putting on the accord next.

Quick Reply: New Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Mich Pilot A/S Plus?