Need Wheel advice!! I am a noob!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009 | 03:07 PM
7th Gear

Need Wheel advice!! I am a noob!

Hey everyone,

I am new to Acurazine (first post), and I also am pretty much a noob when it comes to cars. I have an 05 WDP TL, basically completely stock, no body kit or susp. or anything like that.

I am looking to get new wheels and tires, either 19's or 20's and I am looking for some input. After reviewing the "new rims and tires" thread, I have come to the conclusion that I think I want staggered wheels.

How wide can the back wheels be without doing further modifications to the car?

19's or 20's? Even though I am eventually going to drop the car with a new suspension -- I have seen good looking 20's and 19's on the TL on stock suspension, whats the trick?

19's or 20's? Will the ride on 20's be terrible?

I want wheels with a lip, but I kind of want black wheels (to go along with tinted windows and blacked out tail lights and sidemarkers) -- does anyone have anything like this already and would be willing to post pics so I can get an idea?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 05-06-2009 | 03:43 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Do the right thing and drop it first, THEN decide what wheels you want. It's easier to plan wheels around suspension than it is to plan suspension around wheels in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2009 | 04:01 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

19s will ride slightly better, both will be a lot different than you have right now. With 19s you will probably run a 35 series tire and with 20s most likely a 30 series tire. Anyways there is like 50 million things to consider and decide when buying wheels and tires it is one of the most difficult decisions to make with regards to modifying your car. What wheels do like the most? What finish? Do you want 19s or 20s? How wide do you want to to go? How aggressive do you want the wheels to look? (offsets) What kind of tires do you want to run? What size tires? Do you want to stretch the tires? If not will the tires rub? When you drop the car later will the tires rub? Do you want to roll your fenders? Do you have brembos up front and if so will the wheels you chose clear the BBK? Good luck with choosing your new setup, I have been working on my next setup for a few months now and still undecided as to exactly what I want.
Old 05-06-2009 | 04:57 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Do the right thing and drop it first, THEN decide what wheels you want. It's easier to plan wheels around suspension than it is to plan suspension around wheels in my opinion.
I agree with JMiller.. My friend just got 19s on his car and has to wait a couple of months to buy lower suspension and it looks hideous! Im slamming mine on Tein SS first , then ill get the rims

Just my
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:33 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the input guys. Well I guess your right by saying I should do the suspension first, but there is a slight problem. I need new tires .. now. So I figured, instead of buying new tires now and then having to by new rims AND tires again a few months down the road, I would just do it all now and save some money.

I have been looking at the TSW Jarama Black 19" or 20" -- really like the look, i figured i could just get bigger tires to fill the wheel well a little bit more so it wouldnt look odd. (thoughts?)

essentially, I want to get a black glossy rim, with a nice lip on it. how do you think that would look on a WDP TL (w/ dark tint and smoked tail lights) ?
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:34 PM
7th Gear

MiG - have you been looking at wheels for your WDP? what have you been considering?
Old 05-06-2009 | 06:49 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Originally Posted by -MiG-
Im slamming mine on Tein SS first , then ill get the rims

Just my
Thats how you do it!!
Old 05-06-2009 | 07:08 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

I have actually barely been looking, I saw a local dude selling the Sevas R5s!!!

FOR A GREEEEAAAT PRICE! But they will probably be sold by the time ill buy

My best friend have both bought their wheels with a warehouse wholesale guy who only sells HP rims.. So I seemed to like the HP Mutiny2 but I haven't seen the specs, dont even know if their good for the car..

BTW those TSWs look CLEAN!!
Old 05-06-2009 | 07:55 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Originally Posted by SameThingBrah
Thanks for the input guys. Well I guess your right by saying I should do the suspension first, but there is a slight problem. I need new tires .. now. So I figured, instead of buying new tires now and then having to by new rims AND tires again a few months down the road, I would just do it all now and save some money.

I have been looking at the TSW Jarama Black 19" or 20" -- really like the look, i figured i could just get bigger tires to fill the wheel well a little bit more so it wouldnt look odd. (thoughts?)

essentially, I want to get a black glossy rim, with a nice lip on it. how do you think that would look on a WDP TL (w/ dark tint and smoked tail lights) ?
I think somebody on here has the TSWs in black on a WDP already...
Old 05-06-2009 | 08:57 PM
7th Gear

well I just went into the "modified TL photo" thread, and I must say, black rims do look pretty sweet on the WDP, although so do the graphite grey color.

Has anyone put 9" wide rims/tires all the way around?
Old 05-06-2009 | 09:00 PM
7th Gear

... basically I am obsessed with a deep mirrored lip, and those pictures of edLuv's new TSW Jarama 20's are rediculous. But he said he had 10" wheels in the back, anddd the wheel place down the street said that you have to do some fender modifications before you can fit those.. whats the widest you can do without any sort of fender modification, without it looking rediculous
Old 05-07-2009 | 03:02 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Depends on the offset and tire size. You can fit 10inch wide with no fender modification with a conservative offset and stretched tires
Old 05-07-2009 | 07:36 AM
Full of water...

if you are not going to drop just yet then i would stick to 19". sporty but not too 4x4 looking. the staggered look is nice, but pointless for a FWD car, but if you want it go for it. good luck and keep us updated
Old 05-07-2009 | 12:14 PM
7th Gear

Well, after talking to someone at a tire place, I think that I will NOT do a staggered set-up, as sweet as it looks, I realize that you cannot do normal tire rotation and I drive a LOT (work) , so I dont want to have to replace my tires like once a month.

Also, after doing some research on suspension, I didnt realize I could lower my car an 1" all around for so cheap! I thought that you had to spend at least 1k. I am thinking of just putting Eibach springs (found for $209 shipped on autoanything.com) on my stock shocks. -- Do you think the H&R sport springs are too aggressive for the stock shocks?
Old 05-07-2009 | 12:22 PM
7th Gear

@ Anthracite

Like I said, I am a noob.. is offset something that is completely up to me? Or do specific rim/tire set ups require certain offsets?

I went to a tire/wheels place and they said with 10" wheels I had to have a +48 offset for it not to rub--does he just not know what he is talking about?
Old 05-07-2009 | 01:47 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Sounds like you don't want to spend a lot of money so good idea not going staggered. As far as offset, +48 is very conservative. Offset is basically how far in or out of the fender the wheel sites. A lot of people on here like to run more aggressive offsets lets say +20 for example and that would mean the wheel sits out 28mm farther than your +48 for a more "flush with the fender" fitment. Again then it comes down to tires, if you run some massive tires it could still rub even with your +48 offset. It is unlikely you would run anything that big as your shop would not recommend it. Whereever you are going will probably fit you with something nice and conservative that won't give you any problems. Problems arise when you start trying to get a flush/aggressive fitment.