Installed H&R Sport Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002 | 07:59 PM
Cruisin'

Talking Installed H&R Sport Spring

Just installed H&R Sport yesterday, and a day passed. Here are my thoughts.

1) It is a totally different car now by 200%, if not, 196%.

2) Nose diving, which I hated the most is almost gone.

3) Of course, it turns better, stops better.

4) Ride comfort is virtually same or, I would say, BETTER. B/c no weaving is there, and low COG helps the car rides better.

5) It is strange, but when I hit the gas, the car feels much heavier. Feeling like you are driving RWD, and also, the car sits tight.

6) Did alignment, but had to visit the installer today since the steering wheel was crooked to the left about 2 to 3 degrees. But, it was an easy fix. Took 2 minutes to fix.

7) I personally prefer a little bit of raked look, which Comptech gives, but hey, this doesn't look bad at all.

8) Spend $200 for installation. I thought this is a bit pricey, but hell, I got what I wanted.

9) Frankly, this car runs equal or better than BMWs. As from BMW background, I never thought this simple mod will change this TLS this much. Why spend $10K more? No debate please, this is just my opinions.

10) I was a bit worried about ride comfort, but truly, this is better than before.

Am I happy? YES, changing suspension system prior to engine components are well spent.

Thanks for those who gave good comments about springs.

Happy motoring.
Old 01-03-2002 | 09:03 PM
Advanced

Hey congratulation on ur SPRING
i have set of H&R Race springs and i was wondering
if H&R Race springs would have same comfort ride like
H&R Sport springs...
i havent install them yet
cuz i heard even with H&R Sport springs with Body kit is hard to drive cuz its low..... but Race spring is like 2.2 inch low so
i dont know if i should install this or just sell it and get sport springs.... any opinions?
oh i dont have bodykit yet but i am getting it soon...
Old 01-04-2002 | 12:22 AM
Pro

Hey, i just installed my H&r sport in last week also. It rides 10 time much better. I swings around corners like nothing now. hey
Odagari .. i have the factory kit on my car also. i had it installed a week before the springs. It is a Perfect drop with no scratching at all.. i went over the big ass speed bump at the mall and still didnt scrap.
Oh former....DID you need any camber kit after getting ur algiment? my steering is off by a few degree aslo. I need to get an aligment also and planned on doing it this weekend.
Old 01-04-2002 | 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

One of my buddies installed Race Springs on his M3, maybe already stiff M3 suspension was not enough for him, and immediately took them out and installed Sport Springs instead. The margin of drop was not that noticable, but it was a real stiff ride, he said.

He enjoys Sport Springs a lot now.

Camber kit? No. That was just a few tightening & re-aligning. That was all. Mechnic told me this is normal since offset & everything related spring is changed. Normal to have a little crooked steering wheel after the installation. Just make sure, after alignment, drive a few miles, and check the steering wheel position. If there is any crook found, simpy bring it to the shop again. Should be & got to be no charge for the fix.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
I was thinking to get the factory kit, but sat down & looked at my car, it is already a good looking. I will probably omit the factory kit, and probably get the chrommed stock rims. The cost for that was $550 installed.

Happy motoring.
Old 01-05-2002 | 12:22 AM
Pro

Thanks for the reply former..... I'm going to do my aligiment tommorow and what you told should help me out alot..
I think you should get the kit.. when i first drop my car without the kit. i thought it was nice already. And then i installed the kit in. Now the car looks 10 time better and i get more compliment from alot of people. BUt if you do install the oem kit in. i think you should get the wing west back piece. the factory is not low eoungh and it looks like my rear is in the air and the car doesnt look drop from the back. I think that it my next mod. IS to take off the oem rear and put the wing west rear in.. OK LATER!
Old 01-06-2002 | 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got my springs installed yesterday and damn those things are nice!!!
Old 01-08-2002 | 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Congrats on the new drop! Personally I thought my ride got worse.. much sportier, but hell on the bumps. Then again I do live in Missouri which has just been ranked with the 3rd worst roads in America! Oh ya...please tell me you had the shop take off those god awful ugly mud flaps (imo) while they had the tires off!
Old 01-09-2002 | 04:16 PM
Racer

Springs do make your car handle so much better then stock. If you think thats a big difference try the comptech anti sway bars, the difference is WAY more noticable then the springs. Your car feels like its riding on rails. NO more body roll and the ride is just as good. SPRINGS + SWAYS= "the ultimate driving machine"
Old 01-09-2002 | 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

been seeing a lot of comments on Comptech Sways.

Where did u guys got them? How much & installation cost?
Do I have to drill something? What about warranty issues?

TIA

Happy motoring!
Old 01-09-2002 | 11:21 PM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by Former M Couper
been seeing a lot of comments on Comptech Sways.

Where did u guys got them? How much & installation cost?
Do I have to drill something? What about warranty issues?

TIA

Happy motoring!
Many people buy them from THIS website, for $300. Installation from a mod shop should be under $100, but many people install their own, if they can raise the car enough. You take the stock ones off, and put the new ones on. Add some lube, or tape, and your done, basically. Some people do say they get noise from them, but if you want handling, sways are what you need. Myself, I am waiting for the new Eibach design to come out.
Old 01-17-2002 | 02:17 PM
Advanced

Hey Wigginboy, where did you get your springs installed in Houston? I'm about to get the springs and don't know where is a cheap but good place to get them installed at?