Bent 4th 17in OEM wheel.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent 4th 17in OEM wheel.....

Anyone else been going through rims like no tomorrow? It seems the slightest road bump, hole that I hit bends these rims. No curbs hit..... I am trolling ebay for new ones now.

Mark
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Old 11-07-2004, 07:08 PM
2004 SSM TL-A Spec

I live in the mountains of NC and I have had no problems - I ordered the 18' Ron Jon wheels and I hope it stays that way.

When I get them next week I am looking for tires. Once I get them on the car then I will put my 17's on ebay. How much are they selling for - I have 4,500 miles on mine.....
Old 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Between 600 and 1000 depending on mileage with tires.

I know its the opposite side of the country 1bird, but I have 2 17 OEM RIMs still up for grabs.
1 Perfect with 400 or so miles on the EL42 rubber
1 with road rash with same.

Perfect going for $175 + Actual shipping for forum members
Road Rash going for $125 + Actual Shipping for forum members
Old 11-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Curb check is very very small and the price is right
Old 11-08-2004, 12:43 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I sold my old 17's on eBay for $550. Three were perfect,one had a VERY small mark. I kept the tires. This was for rims only about 3 months ago.

Bird - How EXACTLY are you "bending" them? These tires have 45 sidewalls. With walls that tall, it's pretty darn hard to "bend" them (even on pot holes). Or are you running into curbs?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:51 AM
4th Gear

That is the question.... I am NOT hitting curbs. I live in the No VA area, and like other cold/warm climates, they have there share of pot-holes. I am convinced it is from hitting pot holes and/or uneven payment on roads that are beginning to break down. I suppose the other option, which I have not explored in detail, is problems with the tires themselves (Bridgestone).

Anyway, thanks for the repsonses. I will keep the forum posted on what I end up doing.

Mark
Old 11-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Banned

Don't hit the pot holes and you won't thave the problem
Old 11-08-2004, 11:26 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by hondafans
Don't hit the pot holes and you won't thave the problem
To bend a rim, especially the stock rims with the tall sidewall, you need to really being going and smash the heck out of the pothole. Even when I had my 18"s on my car, I could hit potholes lightly and not have a problem.

Bird, I think your porblem is more in your driving than anything else.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:36 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the feedback. With all of the cars I have had, and the fact that my driving habits and patterns have not changed, I am disappointed about these wheels. I had no problems with my STS or Volve S80 Turbo -- again all hig end, low profile wheels traveling the same routes (90% of driving time back and forth to work).

No need to comment any futher. I have decided to get 2 or 4 (for reserve) new wheels and am in the hunt either through the dealer or ebay.

Thanks....

Mark
Old 11-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1bird2
Thanks for all of the feedback. With all of the cars I have had, and the fact that my driving habits and patterns have not changed, I am disappointed about these wheels. I had no problems with my STS or Volve S80 Turbo -- again all hig end, low profile wheels traveling the same routes (90% of driving time back and forth to work).

No need to comment any futher. I have decided to get 2 or 4 (for reserve) new wheels and am in the hunt either through the dealer or ebay.

Thanks....

Mark

I guess you can get a stiffer sidewall tire. You can also write a letter to local govmt to fix the pot holes. I know of one person who wrote to get the roads filled. He got the roads filled and eventuall got a reimbursment for his damaged rim (6 months later).
Old 11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1bird2

Thanks....

Mark
Why not just get aftermarket wheels to replace the OEMs if you think the OEMs are the problem?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been experiencing vibrating ever since driving spirited down this back road but I hit no potholes. Took the car to my friends shop tonight and the 2 front rims are bent in 1300 miles on my '05. These are the shittiest rims I have ever seen and they should be enkei's. I had Rota's that only bent when I hit a massive and I mean massive crater on the highway at like 75mph. I am going to see if they will replace the rims under warranty because I believe they are a bad cast.

I have had low profile tires before and with stiffer sidewalls. The sidewalls on the michelins are like pillow's compared to others that I have had in the past.

Maybe I will just buy some Volks or Advans but damn thats a lot of money for rims.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Instructor

An under-inflated tire ( 8 to 10 lbs ) + pothole can equal a cracked rim. I learned this from previous experience with Porsche wheels. Went through an unusual number wheels. Porsche replaced but recommended constant checking of air pressure ( weekly ) due to porous casting material ( Magnesium I think ). Same style wheels with constant checking problem went away. With a Porsche, your always looking to fiddle around with your car.

In your case, if you hit ten hard potholes in a month ( which can promote loss of air in a tire ) when you hit the 11th ( minus 10-15 psi ) you can damage a wheel.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I hit no potholes just rough roads nothing abnormal. Tire pressure was at 34.5 on both front wheels. One of the wheels the lip is completely bent in and on the other it's just out of round. With these soft sidewalls this definitely whouldn't even be a problem. I think I will just buy some form of JDM goodness.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

I am on my third bent rim. I too have never bent a rim before and with this car it seems a little too common. Between the tire flat spots and the bent rims I don't think that I have ever had a smooth ride. Other than the rough ride I love this car.

My Dealer, Acura of Avon has been fair about the rims and has been giving them to me for $250 each.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
4th Gear

Status of my bent rims and my opinions

First,

If you are a really loyal Acura customer, you will not want to read this as I am not a happy customer.

Second, I have replaced both wheels, thanks to a TL community user that turned me on two two wheels that worked out well. My car is driving normal again which makes me very, very happy.

Lastlly, I am done with this product line. I have taken the wheels to an independant wheel shop (with tires on) for inspection. They confirmed tire pressure is correct. They confirm that the wheels have a "slight" bent condition. They believe that it would have taken either a successive "curb hit" (i.e. both wheels on the right side would have had to hit the obstacle), or perhaps 3 or 4 pot hole hits, again with both wheels hitting.

Sorry, I baby this car -- I drive over the "typical" road "fill" -- but no curbs or pot - holes.

IMO, these wheels are garbage..... No other way to look at it from my perspective.

See ya Acura -- not sure what else is "garbage" in your product offering just waiting for me to replace much before its' time ...................
Old 12-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Shift_faster

I respectfully disagree. You are welcome to your opinion of course, but these wheels are not any worse than any I have experienced in any of my cars. I live and drive in NY, so it is pothole central. I do not baby my car, I take care of it, but by no means "baby" it. My wheels are fine.

You could have had a structurally compromised set of wheels, which is possible, but not all TL wheels face this problem. The only evidence I quote is my own wheels, which have some curb rash and constant driving on rough surfaces and some potholes but have held up and are still round.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to purchase two rims, hope they will last much longer than your bent ones. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Car Addict

Casper I am interested in the mint one, email me at ryan@rsmr.com to try to get a deal going.