Whining noise

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Whining noise

I was talking to my dad about getting the 105K service done on my TL. I just bought it recently. When im driving it, and i get on it, it whines, almost sounds like an electric car. He said it makes that noise when the timing belt is tight. Is this true? The previous owners said all the maintenance was up to date, and so did the carfax.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
It's most likely the PS o ring leaking, letting air in. Does it do it consistently enough so you can check the PS reservoir for air while its making the noise? Did you ever have the PS hose recall performed?

The timing belt has a hydraulic auto tensioner. It's going to be hard for it to be over tightened.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Get a new dad...

But really, how does he think a timing belt is getting tighter as it gets older?

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the serpentine belt and the auto tensioner for the serpentine belt? You can hear this noise with the windows rolled up? Does it only happen when you rev to a high rpm? What rpm does it start at?

Does it get worse if you turn the steering wheel?

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-30-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Get a new dad...

But really, how does he think a timing belt is getting tighter as it gets older?

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the serpentine belt and the auto tensioner for the serpentine belt? You can hear this noise with the windows rolled up? Does it only happen when you rev to a high rpm? What rpm does it start at?

Does it get worse if you turn the steering wheel?
Haha! It has 144K on it. Brand new serpentine came on it. Yeah, i can hear it, but its just when i get on the throttle. I dont think it has anything to do with the power steering.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Power steering was my first thought too. I have an Odyssey that I bought new. All fluids looked fresh. About 4 months later the van sounded like crap when turning or idling. I flushed the rack and all sounds are gone. Do you know if Honda or Honda approved fluid was used?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Never heard that one before but he could be right
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
@Mug, why wouldn't you just bring your Odyssy back to the dealer if you bought it new than to flush it yourself?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I think he is talkign about the whine from the transmission when you sort of get on it. Mine does it from a stop in 1st gear. If you watch and listen to a few posts on youtube, regarding exhausts, some of them take off kinda fast so you can hear the exhaust, but on a few, you can hear the whine from the transmission. So, it's somewhat normal for these cars.

Power steering pumps can whine too, but it doesnt sound like an electrical motor.. Plus usually whine from the power steering pump will change as you try to turn your steering wheel.If no change in noise when you apply pressure on the steering wheel, then prolly not power steering pump.
The following users liked this post:
Luketic (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
I think he is talkign about the whine from the transmission when you sort of get on it. Mine does it from a stop in 1st gear. If you watch and listen to a few posts on youtube, regarding exhausts, some of them take off kinda fast so you can hear the exhaust, but on a few, you can hear the whine from the transmission. So, it's somewhat normal for these cars.

Power steering pumps can whine too, but it doesnt sound like an electrical motor.. Plus usually whine from the power steering pump will change as you try to turn your steering wheel.If no change in noise when you apply pressure on the steering wheel, then prolly not power steering pump.
Thats exactly what im talking about! I watched some youtube videos, and heard the same noise, so i figured it was normal
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Drifting

i was trying to find the one on youtube, but I cant seem to find it now. But, there are other posts on this website where people say the same thing. Just change your fluid when you're suppose to and thats all you can do. Hopefully it wont go out. =)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luketic
Thats exactly what im talking about! I watched some youtube videos, and heard the same noise, so i figured it was normal
I think all you can do is make sure you have Honda Fluid. I just got some Honda DW-1 fluid and it's good. great for these cars. Avoid using a heavy concentration of "other fluids". (Redline Racing or dexron III) A little of the Racing fluid might be ok.. but too much and it will cause problems. I know! But if "a little" racing fluid is ok, I do not know for certain over the LONG TERM.. like 60k+ miles. noboday knows that. Overall, stick with OEM fluid. I recently found that out the hard way

Last edited by Chad05TL; 05-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
I think all you can do is make sure you have Honda Fluid. I just got some Honda DW-1 fluid and it's good. great for these cars. Avoid using a heavy concentration of "other fluids". (Redline Racing or dexron III) A little of the Racing fluid might be ok.. but too much and it will cause problems. I know! But if "a little" racing fluid is ok, I do not know for certain over the LONG TERM.. like 60k+ miles. noboday knows that. Overall, stick with OEM fluid. I recently found that out the hard way
I have been using Redline ATF for the past 60k miles just fine. Using ONLY Redline Racing Type F is no good, there is a thread on this. The maximum to be used is 67%, the rest is mixed with either Redline D4 or Redline D6.

I ran the mixture Redline Racing, Redline Lightweight and Redline D4, which gives you the 67% mixture. I recently switched to using D6 in place of D4 since D6 is the equivalent to DW-1.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by wilzrsx
I have been using Redline ATF for the past 60k miles just fine. Using ONLY Redline Racing Type F is no good, there is a thread on this. The maximum to be used is 67%, the rest is mixed with either Redline D4 or Redline D6.

I ran the mixture Redline Racing, Redline Lightweight and Redline D4, which gives you the 67% mixture. I recently switched to using D6 in place of D4 since D6 is the equivalent to DW-1.
Don't worry about this dude. It looks like he's drinking again. If you search his posts it looks like he searched for anything to do with a whine and is telling everyone to stay away from Redline. He even made up a thread with a fake transmission failure story. This is all to get at me, this guy is as ignorant as they come.