Weird Noise coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013 | 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Weird Noise coming from engine bay

Hey! I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S with close to 88K miles on it and I started to hear weird noises coming from the engine bay. I first noticed it when the weather got cold and temperature dropped to freezing. It would usually happen at the first time I start the car in the morning. It will make this noise a few minutes and then after it's been running, it would stop. And it's fine the rest of the day. Normally, there is no sound in warmer weathers and it happens more during cold weathers.

On my last oil change service, I told the service advisor this problem and even showed him a video clip I recorded but he said he couldn't do anything but said it could be a tensioner or belt-related. Either way, he recommended a diagnostic for $160 to really find out the problem.....any thoughts? it's bothering me more and more these days and I really dont' wanna spend the diagnostic....any help or feedback will help. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013 | 09:51 AM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by hyunh311
Hey! I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S with close to 88K miles on it and I started to hear weird noises coming from the engine bay. I first noticed it when the weather got cold and temperature dropped to freezing. It would usually happen at the first time I start the car in the morning. It will make this noise a few minutes and then after it's been running, it would stop. And it's fine the rest of the day. Normally, there is no sound in warmer weathers and it happens more during cold weathers.

On my last oil change service, I told the service advisor this problem and even showed him a video clip I recorded but he said he couldn't do anything but said it could be a tensioner or belt-related. Either way, he recommended a diagnostic for $160 to really find out the problem.....any thoughts? it's bothering me more and more these days and I really dont' wanna spend the diagnostic....any help or feedback will help. Thanks!
belt tensioner.
Old 03-07-2013 | 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg
belt tensioner.

Thanks!.....Do you know how much it will cost on average to fix? If it costs more than the diagnostic of $160, I would probably just take it to the dealer because they say the cost of the diagnostic would go into the cost of the repair.
Old 03-07-2013 | 10:36 AM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by hyunh311
Thanks!.....Do you know how much it will cost on average to fix? If it costs more than the diagnostic of $160, I would probably just take it to the dealer because they say the cost of the diagnostic would go into the cost of the repair.
dealer charges around $300 for parts and labor, you can get one for under 100 bucks and put it on your self, but its sorta a pain in the ass if you've never done it before, you have to take the acc belt off and thats sorta hard to get back on with out an extra pair of hands helping you. IMO if you dont have the tools or much know how on do it yourself projects, its worth the 300 bucks to get it replaced by the dealer with honda OEM parts. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
hyunh311 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-12-2013 | 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Finally took the car in to Acura and the weird noise was coming due to a "bad" driver belt. They also found the the power steering pump was "bad" too so they had to replace both.

So, I'm curious what causes the driver belt or the power steering pump to go bad? I asked the service advisor but he could't really think of a reason except it was due to wear & tear.
Old 03-12-2013 | 02:19 PM
Racer

im afraid to ask how much you spent .. there are diy in the garage for this stuff, a new belt and parts to reseal your ps pump (and change fluid) would have cost you $40-50
Old 03-12-2013 | 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Project 04TL
im afraid to ask how much you spent .. there are diy in the garage for this stuff, a new belt and parts to reseal your ps pump (and change fluid) would have cost you $40-50
yea, i know. i probably could saved money but i'm not handy myself and don't trust myself. probably create more problem and end up costing more.....I spent close to $200 and it could have been more but I had warranty that covered the power steering pump so only paid a deductible plus the labor & part for the drive belt. i just hope it fixes the problem. i guess i'll check and see tomorrow......
Old 03-12-2013 | 09:55 PM
LowNslowTL

Im surprised, if it dosent fix it then you should look into a tensioner. Steelerships..i would of held off on the pump and taken pictures for us to look at. But hey you made out good for only 200 bucks for the pump. Im not gonna bash u for not doing it urself. Not everybody is a mechanic! Hope all stays well!
The following users liked this post:
hyunh311 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-16-2013 | 02:33 PM
Racer

Are you sure it is not the O-ring update on the Power steering hose ??? Another poster mentioned the same problem and it went away by replacing the o-ring which is an orange ring (price:75 cents) and takes 10 minutes to change.
Old 03-18-2013 | 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mani
Are you sure it is not the O-ring update on the Power steering hose ??? Another poster mentioned the same problem and it went away by replacing the o-ring which is an orange ring (price:75 cents) and takes 10 minutes to change.
Since my last trip to the dealers and after replacing the Power Steering pump and Drive Belt, there hasn't been any noise.......
Old 03-20-2013 | 04:35 PM
2nd Gear

Should I go to Dealership for full diganostic @ $250

Hello everyone, I bought my first used car a 04 Acura TL manual transmission and its making some noises as I De-accelarate. I was wondering if its worth to cough up what the dealership is charging to get a full picture of what i need to fix, instead of waiting for surprises down the road. Please advise, as I do love this car so far. I will appreciate an help.
Old 03-22-2013 | 12:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bewater1017
Hello everyone, I bought my first used car a 04 Acura TL manual transmission and its making some noises as I De-accelarate. I was wondering if its worth to cough up what the dealership is charging to get a full picture of what i need to fix, instead of waiting for surprises down the road. Please advise, as I do love this car so far. I will appreciate an help.
If I were you, I would do the full diagnostic test and that's if you're planning on driving the car for a long time. Also, did you get the car from a dealership? If you did, you might have some warranty or insurance with them so it's good to check with them first. Or, another option is to wait for a "oil change" or a scheduled maintenance to ask the dealership to check the weird nosies when de-accelarating.

When you say weird noise.....what kind of noise are you referring to?
Old 03-22-2013 | 08:07 AM
LowNslowTL

i agree^ but what kind of noises on decel..clunking..grinding..whining..etc? does it sound like its coming from the motor or trans? also, do you know if the clutch was ever changed in it??