Transmission problems... Again!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Transmission problems... Again!?!?!

Hey all,
So I ditched my '02 TL for an '05 to get rid of the transmission troubles, but it looks like they've followed me. My '05 has about 65k miles on it, and seemed great until a few months ago when the RPM's started bouncing around a little, mostly at speeds around 25-35mph. The needle would bounce above and below where the RPM's should have been, and the whole car would start a slight rocking motion in unison with the needle's movements. At first I thought it was bad gas, but I switched gas stations and nothing changed. Then for some strange reason, it's started making a funny noise every once in a while when I shift into reverse. Not all the time, just once out of every 10 or so. A muted whirring noise will start as soon as it's in reverse, and stop as soon as I shift into any another gear. And it might just be my worst-case-scenario imagination, but I think it's shifting a little harder than usual too. Suggestions, comments, or helpful hints, anyone? Thanks in advance!
NATE
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Sounds like a sensor issue.. check for any codes, check your intake & run some seafoam through the intake & fuel tank. Check your ATF level and check the color & smell of your ATF. Look for any leaks from the housing, around the seal. I believe you may still be under powertrain warranty.. it wouldn't hurt to bring it into Acura to see what they say.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

So the fluctuating RPM's could be attributed to a sensor problem? Do you have a ballpark estimate of how much a sensor replacement would usually run? And finally, I bought into the '05 TL because I was under the impression that the transmission problems of the '99-'03's had been fixed. Is that true, or is this just the same bum line of trannys as before?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM

The 3G TL has far fewer transmission issues. The fluctuation RPM's seems more like a throttle issue or vac leak. Since your symptom of rev bouncing b/w 25-35mph, try going in SS mode and downshifting to a lower gear to see if the rev bouncing goes away. The whine you hear when engaging R from P it definitely sounds like it could be the t/c making that noise although it could be a few other items, although I wouldn't worry about that so much. After cleaning out intake & t/b, check your intake filter then if it still occurs.. take it in and get back to us to see if they diagnosis is plausible.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the start of the Tranny Failure

Hey Nate02tl,
the 04 and 05 have tranny problems (not all, but enough).
My tranny failed at 105K miles. It started as you stated, and got progressively worse untill it was undrivable. Hopefully you bought the car from a dealer and have a warranty.
The good news is that Acura replaced my tranny and paid 95% of the cost, out of warranty . They gave me a loaner and treated me like a king. And there are others on this forum with similar stories.
Take it to the Acura dealer and have it checked out.
Also, there is a thread on the 3rd/4th gear pressure sensors possible causing the tranny problem and the replacement is not difficult. Do a search on the
3rd gear pressure sensors.

Oh, and as Majofo says, it could be a sensor. The 3g TL has alot of computer sensing, and you need to have it diagnosed at the Acura dealer.

Good Luck

Last edited by AcuraVic; 07-20-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by nates02tl
Hey all,
So I ditched my '02 TL for an '05 to get rid of the transmission troubles, but it looks like they've followed me. My '05 has about 65k miles on it, and seemed great until a few months ago when the RPM's started bouncing around a little, mostly at speeds around 25-35mph. The needle would bounce above and below where the RPM's should have been, and the whole car would start a slight rocking motion in unison with the needle's movements. At first I thought it was bad gas, but I switched gas stations and nothing changed. Then for some strange reason, it's started making a funny noise every once in a while when I shift into reverse. Not all the time, just once out of every 10 or so. A muted whirring noise will start as soon as it's in reverse, and stop as soon as I shift into any another gear. And it might just be my worst-case-scenario imagination, but I think it's shifting a little harder than usual too. Suggestions, comments, or helpful hints, anyone? Thanks in advance!
NATE
how many miles are on it? Have you ever changed the trans fluid?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

It's got around 65k miles, and I bought it used a few months back. I haven't changed the fluid personally, but prior to purchase, I had a mechanic check the whole car out, (especially the transmission) and he said it was fine. I haven't gotten around to checking it myself since the problems cropped up. Is that a possible culprit?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if i were you i would change the pressure switches and drain the fluid 3X3... then see how the tranny acts from there...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
^^ Agreed!!

Follow this DIY https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/

Def. will help!!!

Forgot to say, you can thank I Hate Cars for bringing these sensors to light for ALOT of us 'ziners!!!

Last edited by Fulani has a TL; 07-21-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Fire/medic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm on my second tranny, and my third gear is starting to make the same whinning noise as my first one did right before it went out. The crazy part is this new tranny only has 20 thousand miles on it. WTF!!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
if i were you i would change the pressure switches and drain the fluid 3X3... then see how the tranny acts from there...
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
^^ Agreed!!

Follow this DIY https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149

Def. will help!!!

Forgot to say, you can thank I Hate Cars for bringing these sensors to light for ALOT of us 'ziners!!!
I wouldn't jump the gun and attribute this to a transmission issue. He didn't say his tranny was slipping or going limp, but at 65k miles and not being the original owner.. I would definitely do a 3x3 with Honda Z1, new ATF filter and change out the 3rd & 4th clutch pressure switches as preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by rydacosta
Well I'm on my second tranny, and my third gear is starting to make the same whinning noise as my first one did right before it went out. The crazy part is this new tranny only has 20 thousand miles on it. WTF!!
You should still be warrantied. I don't know the magnitude of your t/c whine but I would check your ATF. You can actually siphon a sample through the dipstick and get it analyzed to see if your t/c or clutch belt bands are wearing, also a check for any other irregularities or wear.. blackstone labs has a kit they'll send to you.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I hate to say it but the whining noise usually means a short death of the trans. If it does it mostly in gear (any gear even reverse) with the car stopped or moving very slowly then it's usually the torque convertor. In neutral or park, it's the input shaft, convertor, planetaries, needle bearings/bushings, any number of trans related things.

Make sure the fluid isn't aerated as that can cause whirring/whining sounds. My TL will also make this sound in neutral/park but I can only hear it with the door open and really listening. It's done it since it was new.

Usually if the trans is slipping, it will throw a code. If the TC slips I don't think it will throw a code but it shouldn't be trying to lock at 25mph anyway.

I wouldn't rule out an engine issue with the bucking either. You may have an engine issue and since you suspected the trans, you pay closer attention to the noises it makes.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Fire/medic

Originally Posted by Majofo
I wouldn't jump the gun and attribute this to a transmission issue. He didn't say his tranny was slipping or going limp, but at 65k miles and not being the original owner.. I would definitely do a 3x3 with Honda Z1, new ATF filter and change out the 3rd & 4th clutch pressure switches as preventative maintenance.

You should still be warrantied. I don't know the magnitude of your t/c whine but I would check your ATF. You can actually siphon a sample through the dipstick and get it analyzed to see if your t/c or clutch belt bands are wearing, also a check for any other irregularities or wear.. blackstone labs has a kit they'll send to you.

Thanks . I will call Acura today and see how long the warranty lasts. You think they would have fixed this transmission problem after the huge recall on 04 TL a/t. I wonder what they did to the transmissions as far as engineering goes after the recall?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Fire/medic

I just got off the phone with the dealer and the warranty on the new tranny is 12 months or 12 thousand miles, so I'm screwed I just hit 12 thousand miles. I'm going to go in and see if they will check it out under the goodwill content.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM

^ BS! standard warranty on reman OE trannys is 3yrs / 36k miles.. Acura installed your transmission right? Call that sucker out and don't let them BS you.. be professional but don't let them take you for a sucker.. tell them you want the contact for the regional manager. -make sure you only deal with the service manager at your dealership as well, not one of the service writers..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
^ BS! standard warranty on reman OE trannys is 3yrs / 36k miles.. Acura installed your transmission right? Call that sucker out and don't let them BS you.. be professional but don't let them take you for a sucker.. tell them you want the contact for the regional manager. -make sure you only deal with the service manager at your dealership as well, not one of the service writers..

Exactly what I was thinking. These guys never stop....
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Fire/medic

Wow! They tried to pull a fast one. I'm so calling them out on it, good thing I got his name. Yes it was installed by the dealer. 10-4 I'll deal with the service manager only. I will let you guys know how this turns out. I am going to be all over this like flies on sh****tt.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I too have some transmission issues on a '05 TL with 94k miles on it but is recently owned by me. When vehicle cold, shifts fine. When fully warm (hot) transmission is very slow to engage when shifting from Park to reverse or Reverse to Drive, etc. Similarly, when accelerating hard when warm I get rpm flaring between 2-3 & 3-4, ending with harsh engagment when it does shift? Is this a sensor issue or is this imminent failure of the transmission? Also, might this still be covered under warranty? All replies greatly appreciated as I am new to this car and this site, although it seems very helpful and the car is otherwise wonderful.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Farmboy
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I too have some transmission issues on a '05 TL with 94k miles on it but is recently owned by me. When vehicle cold, shifts fine. When fully warm (hot) transmission is very slow to engage when shifting from Park to reverse or Reverse to Drive, etc. Similarly, when accelerating hard when warm I get rpm flaring between 2-3 & 3-4, ending with harsh engagment when it does shift? Is this a sensor issue or is this imminent failure of the transmission? Also, might this still be covered under warranty? All replies greatly appreciated as I am new to this car and this site, although it seems very helpful and the car is otherwise wonderful.
I would start with a 3X3 fluid drain and refill and then do sensors if it doesn't cure it. Regardless of whether it needs the sensors, they will greatly improve the shift quality at that mileage. Time is of the essence here. The more you drive it with a flair, the more irreversable damage is being done. Since the sensors control shift timing, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward sensors.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick reply. After my post I discovered the May '09 thread with EXCELLENT DIY with pics and discusson of theory which convinced me to order the parts immediately. You guys are amazing! What a wonderful collective of knowledge & experience; there is no substitute! Not really sure what you mean by a 3x3 drain & fill except perhaps 3 back-to-back fluid changes with minimal driving between just to circulate the fluids and rinse the old fluid out of the T/C? I also ordered a new ATF filter element and 0-ring with gasket because the diagrams would seem to indicate reasonable accessibility to R & R that filter as well. I'm hoping there isn't severe wear to the clutches so that I still might rescue another 50k+ miles out of this tranny. I would think with 94k mileage from Memphis a lot of that would be highway conditions, but who knows? In my experience if there is damage already done, new fluid will only manifest the problem more clearly. Will keep you guys posted after I get the parts and do the work which will be next week at the earliest. Take care
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

hey, so i took the car in for some other work (see thread on clunking sound from passenger side) and asked the mechanic about the rpm fluctuations. he diagnosed it as a type 2 misfire, with igniters arcing over. basically, he tuned it up, found evidence of some arcing going on, sealed up the gaskets for me, and the problem is fixed. the engine runs like silk and any rpm bobbing is gone. thank goodness it's not the transmission!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

p.s. -- the whine from the transmission hasn't happened in months, so i guess that wasn't an issue after all. she runs like a charm. (knock on wood!)
Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by nates05tl
hey, so i took the car in for some other work (see thread on clunking sound from passenger side) and asked the mechanic about the rpm fluctuations. he diagnosed it as a type 2 misfire, with igniters arcing over. basically, he tuned it up, found evidence of some arcing going on, sealed up the gaskets for me, and the problem is fixed. the engine runs like silk and any rpm bobbing is gone. thank goodness it's not the transmission!
I was right.. armchair mechanic diagnosis at it's best.. lol. Glad you got it resolved.