Rubbing/Whiny Noise When Turning Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Rubbing/Whiny Noise When Turning Steering Wheel

I hear this noise when I turn my steering wheel. See video below:

I only hear it when I turn the wheels close to the when the wheels are straight, if I turn to the wheels to the outside it doesn't make a the noise. It sounds like a rubbing or whiny noise. If the car is idling with steering wheel no movement it doesn't make any noise. Car otherwise drives fine.

I was thinking of the o ring fix but I don't have any bubbles in my power steering fluid (level is normal too)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
does the noise happen with the car off?
With ignition on see it still happens. If not, it could very well be the power steering pump
Old 12-13-2015, 09:22 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seriously think this is just your front tires rubbing on the concrete. Exactly what I hear when maneuvering in the garage.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
does the noise happen with the car off?
With ignition on see it still happens. If not, it could very well be the power steering pump
Thank you for the response. This is a good thought to rule out the power steering issues. It def was not the o ring, I replaced that with no luck. Anyways, I left the car still for 3 days while I went on vacation and the noise completely went away for the last 48 hours or so, I've driven about 60 miles or so. It's sorta crazy cause it was a loud noise. I'll keep everyone updated on that status

Thank you
Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
sounds like wet tires on an epoxy/concrete floor...
Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
sounds like wet tires on an epoxy/concrete floor...

I don't think so. This noise occurred while i was driving on many different roads and also on a gravel driveway. It persisted for at least 80 miles or so before it went away. I did feel a vibration when I heard the noise when I touched the suspension components with my hand while someone else turned the wheel.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RxWorld
I don't think so. This noise occurred while i was driving on many different roads and also on a gravel driveway. It persisted for at least 80 miles or so before it went away. I did feel a vibration when I heard the noise when I touched the suspension components with my hand while someone else turned the wheel.
Were you able to figure out what the cause is for this noise? I have 06 model, and it made the exact noise today when turning the steering wheel.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so does it make the noise with the car not running ? ? sounds like a dry tie-rod or ball joint to me .

if you can feel the vibration while touching the moving joints , get some aersol lubricant in there you may have to make a hole in one of the boots but at least you will know if it goes away thats the problem.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey! how's it going.

One of the things that usually creak the most are the inner bushing on the control arms. You most likely have bad rubber on the inner bushing. Try going up and down on the bushing to see if they creak like that extremely loud. Use a pry bar or something that gives enough force to lift the bushing from underneath up and down. I could also be a really rusty steering knuckle. Does it sound like it's coming from the front of the car or in the steering column ?

If you have a jack in your garage jack the car up and put the front end on jacks. With your hands without actually moving the wheel put your hands at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and move side to side and 12 and 6 up and down. If you can physically move the wheel back and forth without actually having to force the wheel to move you either have a. Bad ball joints (play can be up and down and left and right) b. Tie rods or inner tie rods (would just be left and right)

But I'm guessing its bad control arm bushings or could be the shafts.

Last edited by JasonK; 02-02-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stegey
so does it make the noise with the car not running ? ? sounds like a dry tie-rod or ball joint to me .

if you can feel the vibration while touching the moving joints , get some aersol lubricant in there you may have to make a hole in one of the boots but at least you will know if it goes away thats the problem.
Originally Posted by JasonK
Hey! how's it going.

One of the things that usually creak the most are the inner bushing on the control arms. You most likely have bad rubber on the inner bushing. Try going up and down on the bushing to see if they creak like that extremely loud. Use a pry bar or something that gives enough force to lift the bushing from underneath up and down. I could also be a really rusty steering knuckle. Does it sound like it's coming from the front of the car or in the steering column ?

If you have a jack in your garage jack the car up and put the front end on jacks. With your hands without actually moving the wheel put your hands at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and move side to side and 12 and 6 up and down. If you can physically move the wheel back and forth without actually having to force the wheel to move you either have a. Bad ball joints (play can be up and down and left and right) b. Tie rods or inner tie rods (would just be left and right)

But I'm guessing its bad control arm bushings or could be the shafts.

It was my power steering fluid running low that allowed air to seep into the pump which caused the horrendous noise when the steering wheel is turned. I drained and refilled the fluid, including changing the two O-rings, and so far the whining noise has not come back. Crossing finger at the moment!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
its the tires because your car has been park in the garage long period of time, my TL used to do that until I drive off and no longer cause the noise and yes my garage just straight concrete with no coating.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by 06TLASM
It was my power steering fluid running low that allowed air to seep into the pump which caused the horrendous noise when the steering wheel is turned. I drained and refilled the fluid, including changing the two O-rings, and so far the whining noise has not come back. Crossing finger at the moment!
I had that same problem. Horrible whine at startup. Started the morning we had the extremely cold temperatures day before yesterday. Gradually went away as the engine warmed up. Turned out, the power steering fluid reservoir was almost empty. Took almost an entire bottle of Honda PS fluid. Waiting to see the fluid level tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingiz crossed.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Instructor

I appreciate all the responses. It ended up being a bad lower ball joint
Old 06-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seems like that was my guess about 4months ago