Possible head gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Possible head gasket issue

So I think I might have a head gasket issue but I’m skeptial because my oil looks fine just low and I don’t billow smoke through my exhaust. But I am low on coolant and oil. Under my car near the oil pan there’s a good amount of a goo-ey brown substance and at the back passenger side of the engine in the engine bay.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but to my eye that looks like a coolant/oil emulsion. Typically when I see that kind of stuff outside the engine, I also see it inside the engine and/or radiator (and very rarely inside the automatic transmission if so equipped).

At this point it might make sense to steam clean or jet spray the engine to get that stuff off, and then keep a close eye on things so you can identify the source.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced

I did clean it all off about two weeks before and it all came back. It is an automatic and the fluid looks in decent condition still a dark red. I can’t really find the source that’s what sucks, but I’ll try again and keep a close eye. Think it’s head gasket? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Dhiren314
I did clean it all off about two weeks before and it all came back. It is an automatic and the fluid looks in decent condition still a dark red. I can’t really find the source that’s what sucks, but I’ll try again and keep a close eye. Think it’s head gasket? Thanks for the help.
Hmmm, typically if it is a head gasket there would be contamination in either the oil or the coolant. You might want to get UV oil leak detection kit to help you find the source of the leak.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, typically if it is a head gasket there would be contamination in either the oil or the coolant. You might want to get UV oil leak detection kit to help you find the source of the leak.
could it possibly be something from my axles? The substance isn’t creamy and runny like I’d assume it would be . It’s gooey like grease tho. The coolant was also spewed all over my battery and front area so that’s where most of it went. So could this be grease from the axle and oil/coolant or a mix of all three?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Latent car nut

could it possibly be something from my axles? The substance isn’t creamy and runny like I’d assume it would be . It’s gooey like grease tho. The coolant was also spewed all over my battery and front area so that’s where most of it went. So could this be grease from the axle and oil/coolant or a mix of all three?
Hard to tell from the pictures; closely inspect the boots on the axles, if one is cracked it should be readily apparent.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately I can’t do that until my dad comes back it was his car. I was just changing the oil on it but dcciced against it with what happened. He might have dropped it off to our mehanic but not sure. I’m hoping it’s nothing major or that expensive.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Advanced

More Opinions

I’d love to get more opinions on what’s wrong or at least what you guys think is wrong.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I’d love to get more opinions on what’s wrong or at least what you guys think is wrong.
If it is at a mechanic, talk to him and report back what he says. The extra info you post here will give you better overall advice.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sparc
If it is at a mechanic, talk to him and report back what he says. The extra info you post here will give you better overall advice.
Will do. Should have an update soon
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Again, it's difficult to tell, from the pics., but, if the engine is consistently low on coolant, as you said, and there are no apparent coolant leaks, it could be a head gasket issue. If so, it's ODD, that you don't see any light colored smoke, coming out the exhaust, especially. on a cold start. Removal, and examination, of the (Burn Pattern) exhibited on the spark plugs, may shed some light, on your problem. The substance, " The coolant was also spewed all over my battery " needs some clarification. Was it coolant, that was "spewed all over your battery", or was it the, " gooey " like substance? Just curious, as to how it may have reached the battery! Have you checked, the coolant recover bottle, the under-side of the engine oil fill cap, the under-side of the radiator fill cap, and the engine oil dip stick, for signs of this contamination?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Again, it's difficult to tell, from the pics., but, if the engine is consistently low on coolant, as you said, and there are no apparent coolant leaks, it could be a head gasket issue. If so, it's ODD, that you don't see any light colored smoke, coming out the exhaust, especially. on a cold start. Removal, and examination, of the (Burn Pattern) exhibited on the spark plugs, may shed some light, on your problem. The substance, " The coolant was also spewed all over my battery " needs some clarification. Was it coolant, that was "spewed all over your battery", or was it the, " gooey " like substance? Just curious, as to how it may have reached the battery! Have you checked, the coolant recover bottle, the under-side of the engine oil fill cap, the under-side of the radiator fill cap, and the engine oil dip stick, for signs of this contamination?
Sorry for not being specific, my first post so I’m still getting used to things. The coolant on the battery and engine cover was just coolant, dried up blue spots but it was all over the battery, plastic cover that covers the coils, around the egr, and in that area. The dipstick is just normal oil, no frothy gooey substance. Same with the coolant. I’ve checked over the return lines, the drain area under the car. Only thing I’ve found is dried up spots of coolant. The car was in a minor head on collision, but the repair facility found that there was no engine or radiator damage just bumper and headlight, I’m not sure if this helps or not but just thought the info would be nice to give.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it was inner CV boot grease.

OP, when you do find out, please update this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Dhiren314 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Will give updates and info as soon as I find out. Hoping it’s just the cv and not head gasket. Is there an oil cooler on these models, I know there are trans coolers but I’m not certain on oil coolers.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Looks like baby took a all over your engine bay.

I don't think there's an oil cooler on a 3G. I think frankjnjr's suggestion to check the plugs is a good idea. Although if it's somehow not resulting in oil or coolant entering the cylinder I suppose you wouldn't see anything.

How much oil and coolant are you having to add and how often? Just a little here and there or a good amount each week?
Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by losiglow
Looks like baby took a all over your engine bay.

I don't think there's an oil cooler on a 3G. I think frankjnjr's suggestion to check the plugs is a good idea. Although if it's somehow not resulting in oil or coolant entering the cylinder I suppose you wouldn't see anything.

How much oil and coolant are you having to add and how often? Just a little here and there or a good amount each week?
Over the course of 6 months the oil went from full to halfway on the dipstick reader, it’s still in the good range though. The coolant goes from max to min on the overflow every oil change so about every 4-6 months. I’m assuming that means small leaks.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Latent car nut

Over the course of 6 months the oil went from full to halfway on the dipstick reader, it’s still in the good range though. The coolant goes from max to min on the overflow every oil change so about every 4-6 months. I’m assuming that means small leaks.
Regardless of whether coolant is causing the muck in your engine bay, I'd get that leak found and fixed.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Regardless of whether coolant is causing the muck in your engine bay, I'd get that leak found and fixed.
I’ve told my dad to put a UV leak detection kit in for both the coolant and the oil. I’ll where that gets me. He did drop it off to our mechanic after he put in the detection kit. I’ll keep you all updated.
horseshoez (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced

So my mechanic called back and said it was bad axles, and a bad radiator cap, $285 total. He checked the spark plugs and nothing out of the normal. And the coolant did not have hydrocarbons or anything it shouldn’t. He said he’s going to flush the system as well.
frankjnjr (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Latent car nut

Nice; facing the possibility of a four-figure repair bill, you'll gladly pay $285.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Nice; facing the possibility of a four-figure repair bill, you'll gladly pay $285.
I gladly paid the bill, he did a transmission flush for me as well. My TL is back to normal. Still keeping a close eye on everything
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I about to see according to the pics I saw a bad axle not BHG.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Good to hear. Axles are a much smaller problem than a bad head gasket.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Well now if anyone else gets a heart attack like me they now know it can be an axle. I found out the oil is leaking from the back valve cover. there is dried oil and dirt over one of the bolts that hold it on. It leaks half of the mesh an oil change, I dont see it as that big an issue as long as I keep up on the oil level. But if it is that big a deal or it can lead to bigger issues. I will change it out eventually. Heard they are a trouble to replace and get to.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Dhiren314, would you please explain, the quantity, of oil leaking, " It leaks half of the mesh an oil change,". BTW, changing out, the rear rocker arm cover gasket, is a little time consuming, but it's not really that difficult. If you decide to give it a try, you should also replace the spark plug well seals, while you have the cover off. You might also try, torquing the cover bolts, TO SPEC, in case the seal has (shrunk), contributing to the leak. If you decide to tighten the bolts, and or replace the seals, be very careful, and tighten the bolts to the CORRECT torque. An in-experienced person, can easily over-tighten these bolts, and they will BREAK!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Hey Dhiren314, would you please explain, the quantity, of oil leaking, " It leaks half of the mesh an oil change,". BTW, changing out, the rear rocker arm cover gasket, is a little time consuming, but it's not really that difficult. If you decide to give it a try, you should also replace the spark plug well seals, while you have the cover off. You might also try, torquing the cover bolts, TO SPEC, in case the seal has (shrunk), contributing to the leak. If you decide to tighten the bolts, and or replace the seals, be very careful, and tighten the bolts to the CORRECT torque. An in-experienced person, can easily over-tighten these bolts, and they will BREAK!
I’m not completely sure how much it was, all I know is that I filled it to full when I did the oil change and. When I was checking it. It was at halfway in the mesh portion of the dipstick. So my assumption would be within .25 to .5 of a quart over the course of 6 months and 5,000 miles. I was going to wait till I hit 150k as that is when I have to change out the plugs anyways. I was going to do all the gaskets and all that jazz along with it. I have 120k right now. I might do it all at 125k. Not completely sure yet was going to play it by service. I want to change out all 6 plugs both cover gaskets and seals. And then retorque all of the bolts to spec and not strip or break them.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Your engine oil consumption rate, is exceptionally GOOD. Mine uses about one half pint, between 5K change intervals, and I have close to 240K on my car! Timing belt service is recommended every 105K, or 7 years. If your uncertain, that the timing belt, was ever replaced, I would suggest, you have it done, SOONER, rather than LATER!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
How the hell did your mechanic replace bad axles (even 1 axle) for only $285??
Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Your engine oil consumption rate, is exceptionally GOOD. Mine uses about one half pint, between 5K change intervals, and I have close to 240K on my car! Timing belt service is recommended every 105K, or 7 years. If your uncertain, that the timing belt, was ever replaced, I would suggest, you have it done, SOONER, rather than LATER!
I bought it with 100k, sent it off the next day to the mechanic because I've been taught to always do it at 100k. Tensioner, belt, serpentine belt and a pulley and tensioner for that as well was done. If the oil consumption gets out of hand I'll change it early. Ive changed to a 5K/4 month interval from a 7.5K/6 month interval as a recommendation from my mechanic.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
How the hell did your mechanic replace bad axles (even 1 axle) for only $285??
Well it turns it it was only one axle. Was it supposed to be more? He did both axles on our old van for about $350.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Advanced

Well it turns it it was only one axle. Was it supposed to be more? He did both axles on our old van for about $350.
He changed the oil, trans fluid flush, and changed out the coolant along with a new radiator cap if it helps. From what it sounds like, I got a killer deal.