Multiple electrical issues (headlights, windows, radio)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multiple electrical issues (headlights, windows, radio)

2004 TL base non-navi
128k auto

Shortly after purchasing the car, the radio would cut on and off when I hit bumps. One day I hit a bump and the radio never turned back on, the whole display being just dark/blank.
A couple months later, my headlights started acting funny, driver side wouldn't turn on always, I'd turn them off and back on again, and sluggishly the light would turn on. Well lately, it's been either one or the other not working, and sometimes neither. Once in a while I'll get in and they both work.
2 days later, none of my windows will function, whether I use the switches on my driver side door or if I manually press each individual window switch. I'm curious if these problems are somehow connected, resulting back to the radio cutting in and out. Any input is greatly appreciated, been trying to look at these problems one at a time but can't help but believe there's just a big problem with the car. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Brodric
2004 TL base non-navi
128k auto

Shortly after purchasing the car, the radio would cut on and off when I hit bumps. One day I hit a bump and the radio never turned back on, the whole display being just dark/blank.
A couple months later, my headlights started acting funny, driver side wouldn't turn on always, I'd turn them off and back on again, and sluggishly the light would turn on...
You have an intermittent electrical connection issue, which sounds like a bad ground wire connection somewhere.
Also check the battery clamps and cables at the ground and starter ends too.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brodric
2004 TL base non-navi
128k auto

A couple months later, my headlights started acting funny, driver side wouldn't turn on always, I'd turn them off and back on again, and sluggishly the light would turn on. Well lately, it's been either one or the other not working, and sometimes neither. Once in a while I'll get in and they both work.
2 days later, none of my windows will function, whether I use the switches on my driver side door or if I manually press each individual window switch. I'm curious if these problems are somehow connected, resulting back to the radio cutting in and out. Any input is greatly appreciated, been trying to look at these problems one at a time but can't help but believe there's just a big problem with the car. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Will Y.
You have an intermittent electrical connection issue, which sounds like a bad ground wire connection somewhere.
Also check the battery clamps and cables at the ground and starter ends too.

Welcome to AZ.
Thanks for the input, forget everything about the windows, they're fine. But I don't know I feel like we checked the grounds well, will again. But is that a logical reason for why the opposite headlight turns on? Very rarely both at the same time. Sorry for so many questions it's just 10 degrees outside and would rather have a better understanding. Full manual should be here any day and will help immensely. Thanks
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Bad battery can cause issues too.

With the cold temps also exasperating said issues.