Could the red top affect the car performace??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the red top affect the car performace??

So I took my car to the dealer today due to the fact that the car seemed to lag in acceleration every time it goes up the hill and also it doesn't seem to go over higher than 2k rpm, if it did then the car will feel like its in neutral. They told me that they did not find anything wrong. They suggest that I change the engineer filter (cabin air filter I believe) and do the injection fuel cleaner. After the diagnose they told me that the car battery (I have Optima redtop btw) can affect the car performance. Is this believeable? This seemed strange to me. Also they recommend to me that I use Mobil or Shell premium gas. I been using Haffner's gas premium (93 Octance I believe). Could the gas be the issue? So I have them change the cabin air filter and do the injection fuel cleaner for tomorrow. Will be picking up the car tomorrow, keep you guys posted. Can someone please confirm some of the questions I have. Thank you so much.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Cabin filter will have no effect on performance.

Injector cleaner .. go to any auto parts store and buy some Lucas cleaner . The guy there will tell you how to use it.

As for the battery .. it won't effect performance.

You could try the different gas.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
i would disconnect the battery for a hour and reconnect, then pound the piss out of your car after you reconnect the battery, that should teach the ECU the correct way to drive.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think when you heard them say "engineer filter," they were really saying "engine air filter." If that's extremely dirty, it can restrict airflow and hurt performance.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn
I think when you heard them say "engineer filter," they were really saying "engine air filter." If that's extremely dirty, it can restrict airflow and hurt performance.
+1. I would also do the seafoam. Dealership is going to rip you out the ass for that service, its sad that I can tell you over the phone how to do it and they will bill you probably $150-200.

As per the battery, they are talking out of there asses. The only way the batter can hurt your car is if you have a system you will need a capacitor and if the battery isn't strong enough the lights will flicker. Battery doesn't give the car performance at all.

The best bet would be to understand that its 100* outside and going up hill at low MPH can be slow since our cars are 4k pounds and heat soak is in effect and ESPECIALLY if the AC is on. AC KILLS performance. I would change out the J pipe for better exhaust flow or get an intake, but don't you have one already?

Any lights on? ABS, CHECK ENGINE?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by AckTL05
+1. I would also do the seafoam. Dealership is going to rip you out the ass for that service, its sad that I can tell you over the phone how to do it and they will bill you probably $150-200.

As per the battery, they are talking out of there asses. The only way the batter can hurt your car is if you have a system you will need a capacitor and if the battery isn't strong enough the lights will flicker. Battery doesn't give the car performance at all.

The best bet would be to understand that its 100* outside and going up hill at low MPH can be slow since our cars are 4k pounds and heat soak is in effect and ESPECIALLY if the AC is on. AC KILLS performance. I would change out the J pipe for better exhaust flow or get an intake, but don't you have one already?

Any lights on? ABS, CHECK ENGINE?
The CEL came on but disappear the next day. I don't have the J pipe. Its weird because I can't seemed to pass over the 2K rpm mark.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh
...l and also it doesn't seem to go over higher than 2k rpm, if it did then the car will feel like its in neutral...
So, is this an automatic? That statement there sounds like it's slipping.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
or the ecu is in Limp Mode when it feels like it?
did the CEL flash before it was seen at the dealer
did they do a code scan?
you can take it to most parts stores for a free code ck

engine air filter easy DIY
cabin air filter easy diy, they soak you $$ for same as fuel injector cleaning

run a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaner in half a tank of gas
or Seafoam at same rate
Also clean TB air plate inside TB with carb cleaner

If the battery were too small in amps or defective cell inside- that will really make a problem in running - the car needs steady voltage
dealer should have tested but who knows!
Parts stores will run a charging system test for free

what is the size battery you have, it will say on the top or side
not just the amps rating- the size of battery
Does it fit normal in the same place as original battery?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there are two types of gasoline Tier 1 and Tier 2
debate remains among ziners with some saying no differance and others having a smoother better running car when trying one gas over the other

the differance is tier 2 has the minimum cleaning additives required by the us govt
to combat the effects of E10-Ethanol 10% gas they forced on us

Tier 1 has `up to twice` the Minimum amount required- it seems to keep the TL happier

If your dealer says its a problem- try a tier 1 brand for a month and compare
ck internet for complate brand list

Do seafoam the engine vac port and gas tank method now- see DIY section for details- 20 bucks seafoam beats then 150 dealer and we get better results~
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Don't ever take your car to that dealer again.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
TEAM_SONIC

The dealer notified me and said that the transmission was a problem. So I gave them a go ahead to fix the problem. When they replace the transmission, do they replace new transmission fluid, spark plugs, and what other thing is replaced when they put in a new transmission? I am new at this, please give me some detail information. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Just internals, like gears scyncros and whatever else is the problem. I would fight with ACURA to get it to be goodwill d.

You will have a good chance to get a good will case if your milage is low and years are out of warrantee than years out of warrantee and mileage way over warrantee.

It will also depend upon what they need to replace. Do some research on this site because there are A LOT of threads about auto trans being a problem (esp in 04/05) and fight it as hard as you can. Call corporate and they may reimburse you if your dealership isn't going to help you.

Last edited by AckTL05; 08-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Are you serious? Did they try to sell you some swamp land in Florida as well? or a condo in Juarez? I have one if you're interested. Sounds like you're getting thrown under the bus for what's more than likely an inexpensive issue.

Regarding your question. They don't replace anything internally as Ack had mentioned. They replace your transmission, case and all with a reman'd one. From your question it's obvious you need some real advice and here it is.. get your fucking car away from that dealer now! Don't let them try to charge you one dime.

Put the dealer on blast here to warn other Aziners from taking their cars there for service.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That dealer is so full of crap. Don't let them touch the trans before you get a second opinion.

The only way the trans will stop the rpms from going over 2,000rpm is if it's stuck in a high gear which is unlikely. Torque convertor may have lost the stator which requires a new TC and a thorough flush of the trans, possible disassembly to clean in which case Acura would just replace a good trans.

What is the top speed right now?

What will the rpms go to if you floor it in park or neutral?

A bad battery can cause bad performance but that's any bad battery and not just because it's a red top.

Start looking at the throttle position sensor. Can't remember the actual name they use for it but it's a known problem, an easy fix and will cost around $200.

After that, check all exhaust components for a plugged exhaust.

Check EGR operation. Not likely as it would not idle if it were stuck open all the time but it's a possibility.

You're about to get screwed, do not let them pull the trans without farther diagnosis.

The air filter would have to be incredibly plugged but I guess it's possible. You should have noticed power falling off over time, not all at once.

They should have checked fuel pressure. Usually a lack of fuel pressure will be accompanied by a lean pop or bang through the intake.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Its an APP sensor, Accelerator petal position. It makes the car bog and our cars actually have a dual sensor and the point of two is that they need to line up (they may to a little out of the way but thats fine), but the safety feature about a dual is that it won't pull a TOYOTA and make our cars unsafe. I changed mine myself and it cost $139 from the dealer.

The thing about this is that the ABS light will come on as mine did. When installing my FIC It pushed it over the edge, which its known for doing.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That dealer is so full of crap. Don't let them touch the trans before you get a second opinion.

The only way the trans will stop the rpms from going over 2,000rpm is if it's stuck in a high gear which is unlikely. Torque convertor may have lost the stator which requires a new TC and a thorough flush of the trans, possible disassembly to clean in which case Acura would just replace a good trans.

What is the top speed right now?

What will the rpms go to if you floor it in park or neutral?

A bad battery can cause bad performance but that's any bad battery and not just because it's a red top.

Start looking at the throttle position sensor. Can't remember the actual name they use for it but it's a known problem, an easy fix and will cost around $200.

After that, check all exhaust components for a plugged exhaust.

Check EGR operation. Not likely as it would not idle if it were stuck open all the time but it's a possibility.

You're about to get screwed, do not let them pull the trans without farther diagnosis.

The air filter would have to be incredibly plugged but I guess it's possible. You should have noticed power falling off over time, not all at once.

They should have checked fuel pressure. Usually a lack of fuel pressure will be accompanied by a lean pop or bang through the intake.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
Its an APP sensor, Accelerator petal position. It makes the car bog and our cars actually have a dual sensor and the point of two is that they need to line up (they may to a little out of the way but thats fine), but the safety feature about a dual is that it won't pull a TOYOTA and make our cars unsafe. I changed mine myself and it cost $139 from the dealer.

The thing about this is that the ABS light will come on as mine did. When installing my FIC It pushed it over the edge, which its known for doing.
I would think the car would throw some sort of code for this but I've seen weirder things. Could be on the throttlebody end too. Seems like the ABS light happens to some and not to others.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would think the car would throw some sort of code for this but I've seen weirder things. Could be on the throttlebody end too. Seems like the ABS light happens to some and not to others.
The APP sensor could be going back I agree with you and not throw a code. Once the light goes on, limp mode is in effect and you can't go past 3k RPMs because the sensor is shot.