Cooling fan not shutting off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling fan not shutting off !!!

I was coming home today and notice that when I turned off my TL my cooling fan was running. I though it would shut off after a few minutes. My wife got home an hour later and said my car sounded like it was on. I went out and the fan was still running. I had to take the fuse out. Has this happen to anyone else? I was not able to take it to the dealership because this just happened about an hour ago and the dealership is closed. My TL is an 05 and has never done this. It has been running fine and I have not gone on any long trip in it since I've had it. Does anyone know what it could be?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced

i've heard being on a little after the car shuts down but not an hour but i could be wrong. i hope someone else can chime in.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 AM
1TL
3rd Gear

I work at Honda, we had this problem with the Accord. Check your coolant fan timer it might be bad. But it shouldn't be bad since is only three years old car.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Pro

If the fan kept running, your battery would eventually die, leaving you stranded. Before that happens (too bad if it did already), unplug your battery cable.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well have you checked the coolant level in the resevoir is there any in it? If not your car may be over heating and there may be a coolant leak somewhere. If this is not the case it is probably a bad relay, that is keeping the cooling fan on.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrn970
I was coming home today and notice that when I turned off my TL my cooling fan was running. I though it would shut off after a few minutes. My wife got home an hour later and said my car sounded like it was on. I went out and the fan was still running. I had to take the fuse out. Has this happen to anyone else? I was not able to take it to the dealership because this just happened about an hour ago and the dealership is closed. My TL is an 05 and has never done this. It has been running fine and I have not gone on any long trip in it since I've had it. Does anyone know what it could be?
I had the same problem with my last car, a 2000 Accord. Dealer fixed under warranty... replaced some kind of faulty switch in the electronics of the cooling system. Some older Hondas and other cars (my 1990 Accord was one example) had cooling fans that would continue running for a while if the engine was shut down hot. For that reason, I'd initially thought the 2000's behavior was normal -- until I returned to the car after an hour one day and the fan was still running. My dealer assured me the fan on the 2000 model was never supposed to run once the ignition was turned off, and it never did it again. I have never noticed my 05 TL's fan running after engine shut-off either.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 AM
No more Infinitis for me

Originally Posted by TLin05
Some older Hondas and other cars (my 1990 Accord was one example) had cooling fans that would continue running for a while if the engine was shut down hot.
something more than SHUT DOWN HOT is wrong.... see if it happens again, and have it checked
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Any follow up?

My '05 TL developed what appears to be the exact same problem tonight. Any follow up on what youi did / how the problem was resolved?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

This just happened to me!!!! I went to work this morning and when I got there and was walking away from the car I had noticed the noise of the fan (this should have alerted me, since I had never noticed this in the 2 1/2 years I've had the car), I have heard car fans go on for a little while after shutting the car off....so I didn't think much of it.

8 1/2 hours later....get to the car and notice the key fob isn't unlocking the door...hmmm...damn fob battery must me dead, so I manually unlocked the door. Get in and NOTHING!!! (I mean Zip, Zilch, Nada!) Immediately I think back to this morning and kick myself...pop the hood and immediately notice the fan slowly spinning.

I tried to jump it, but it wouldn't work. Called the Acura Roadside Assistance and they called a tow truck. So while I'm waiting I locate the fuse for the fan (30A cooling fan) and pull it...a little while later some co-workers come by and offer a jump, so I figured it couldn't hurt....this time it worked immediately, reinstalled the fuse.

This somewhat puzzled me, could this fan pull that much current away from the battery while it is being jumped to prevent it from working? It must have.

So I cancelled the tow truck and called the dealership....said he had heard this happening to older model cars but not to a 2005. Asked if he had a loaner available and he said no (this response was expected from this dealership...McDaniels Acura of Charleston...but that's a different story).

So ended up just bringing it home, this time when I turned off the car I listened for the fan...nothing. Thinking about it now, I might go out and remove the fuse, just in case.

My guess is a sticky relay, and I don't look forward to taking it to the dealer and having no indications of the problem.

Anyway, keep an ear out for that cooling fan and don't just blow it off, it could mean you being stranded somewhere.

Would appreciate any feedback, comments or fixes that people have or had done to fix it.

Thanks, Matt
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback... sort of

My car was dead before I could get it in to the dealer. It was towed in to Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills, MI, where they were unable to replicate the problem. (don't you hate it when that happens???)

They kept my car for 2 days (gave me a loaner), ran lots and lots of tests, were able to find nothing that would cause the fan to continue running. The fan, or course, didn't continue running after shut down in the time they had it.

Yesterday, the problem happened to my wife again, this time when at the grocery store... she came out after 1 hour in the store shopping, and the fan was still running. Then when she drove home, pulled into the garage.... it stopped. I know that the fan is SUPPOSED to run for a bit after shutdown to keep the engine cool, but I just don't trust it anymore.

So, no resolution, the problem appears to continue occurring, and I don't trust my car anymore. Nice, huh?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkanuch
So, no resolution, the problem appears to continue occurring, and I don't trust my car anymore. Nice, huh?
If it were me, I'd make an appointment again with the service dept., and explain it to them politely but in a concerned manner. Maybe they will change out the relay/t-stat timer (or whatever part it is that controls the fan operation) out of good faith.

I may also mention that my wife usually drives the car, and I'm concerned that she will be stranded with a dead battery AGAIN. (mention young kids with her as well if the case applies!)

This is one of those cases where it wouldn't cost them a ton of money to change it out, and it's likely not a shot in the dark because there can't be too many parts that cause this constant running.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

i had the same problem left my car on idle for an hour left the ac on and turned off my car cause the bar was raising up so I turned off car and it stayed on I have about 34,000 miles on it
~Jason
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

I have read some forums about a mysterious battery failure, I wonder if it is this fan and people didnt pay attention to the fan being on when they left the vehicle?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

Originally Posted by NaplesTL
I have read some forums about a mysterious battery failure, I wonder if it is this fan and people didnt pay attention to the fan being on when they left the vehicle?
I was paying close attention to my car, and it just stayed on for awhile than it just shuts off
~Jason
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
New TL owner

Hate to bring this one back...but...looks like I got hit with this bug as well.

This evening, after going to the grocery store, I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some scratch offs (no winners...it's cool). Anyway, getting out of the car at the gas station I heard what sounded like a fan running still from my car. I walked back to the drivers side, made sure my keys were in my pocket, and that indeed my car was off - which it was.

I looked under the car, thinking it was coming from a underground drain or something...no drain...hmm...well...it must be coming from the bagged ice machine in the front of the store. Yeah, that's it.

Get my tickets, drive back to my apartment.

When I get out of my car, I hear the sound again. Blast! Pop the hood, and my drivers side cooling fan is still spinning (wtf!?).

I hop on AZ, and of course read this thread. I walk out, pop the fuse - it's not blown - re-seat it. Turn the car on, drive to an auto-parts store (about a 5-10 minute drive). Hop out of the car, pop the hood - silence. No fan rotation, nothing while the car is still running.

So...for now...I think the problem is kinda solved. It's not running non-stop like it did at my apartment, but now I'm concerned that it may not be coming on while I'm driving.

Temperature gauge remains within the normal range, if not a little below mid position. Coolant levels are fine, reservoir is fine, and hose is connected. It's was dawn when I checked the radiator, but it appear that there was also fluid within it.

I'll monitor tomorrow and pass on what I see / learn. I may need to take it on a long drive to make sure that the radiator fans at least come on at some point or is there another trick?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal1221
Hate to bring this one back...but...looks like I got hit with this bug as well.

This evening, after going to the grocery store, I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some scratch offs (no winners...it's cool). Anyway, getting out of the car at the gas station I heard what sounded like a fan running still from my car. I walked back to the drivers side, made sure my keys were in my pocket, and that indeed my car was off - which it was.

I looked under the car, thinking it was coming from a underground drain or something...no drain...hmm...well...it must be coming from the bagged ice machine in the front of the store. Yeah, that's it.

Get my tickets, drive back to my apartment.

When I get out of my car, I hear the sound again. Blast! Pop the hood, and my drivers side cooling fan is still spinning (wtf!?).

I hop on AZ, and of course read this thread. I walk out, pop the fuse - it's not blown - re-seat it. Turn the car on, drive to an auto-parts store (about a 5-10 minute drive). Hop out of the car, pop the hood - silence. No fan rotation, nothing while the car is still running.

So...for now...I think the problem is kinda solved. It's not running non-stop like it did at my apartment, but now I'm concerned that it may not be coming on while I'm driving.

Temperature gauge remains within the normal range, if not a little below mid position. Coolant levels are fine, reservoir is fine, and hose is connected. It's was dawn when I checked the radiator, but it appear that there was also fluid within it.

I'll monitor tomorrow and pass on what I see / learn. I may need to take it on a long drive to make sure that the radiator fans at least come on at some point or is there another trick?

Thanks
If you want to check that the fans are in fact all working turn the AC and heater both on, keep the car in the ON position (position II) without starting it, if one or both of the fans are not running when you do this, then they are also not running while your car is in motion. I ran into a cooling fan that wasnt properly connected after my engine heads were built, i drove it 230+ miles with no issue, but once i hit slow traffic on a 90 + degree summer afternoon, thats when/how i found out it was not connected, by using above procedure. If the fuse is out, the fan is prob not running.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
New TL owner

Perfect, thanks.

Fuse was only taken out to shut the fan off and to make sure that it wasn't blown, which it wasn't. After I made sure that it wasn't blown and almost buying a new fuse all together, I put it back into it's appropriate slot.

Just did what you recommended above, and both fans are indeed operational.

Thanks! Wonder now if it was only a bad relay at the time, or if there is still an underlying problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

sounds like a relay issue to me
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
New TL owner

Originally Posted by 05AV6
sounds like a relay issue to me
Is this something that I could possibly take care of, or something that I'd have to send it in for a tech to try to resolve?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Bump, any solution to this?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
i had the same problem left my car on idle for an hour left the ac on and turned off my car cause the bar was raising up so I turned off car and it stayed on I have about 34,000 miles on it
~Jason
Most cars use a switch located in the radiator or nearby that turn the fan on when it hits a certain temp regardless of what the ECU wants. It's kind of a fail safe. Many times a fan running the battery down problem is related to this switch. I've never looked at the TL specifically but look for a switch in the radiator or near the thermostat housing and unplug it.

To the guys that have seen the temp gauge creeping up, take that seriously. These gauges are buffered meaning they will stay in the "normal" range until the car gets seriously hot. For example, it may be right in the normal range anywhere from 160-240 degrees.

I know I quoted the guy that posted like 3 years ago by accident.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Whatever I do what I want

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
When it was over 100F in St.Louis my fans would not stop running either on my 06 and it freaked me out. Took it to the dealer because I just had my A/C compressor replaced and they told me it's normal for some cars to run the fan 40 minutes to an hour after the key is out depending on the temperature. It has only happened twice to me. If it happens again I plan on starting the car for a minute to save the battery,turn it off,if fans still run,then either disconnect the battery or pull a fuse,leaving the hood open to vent. Just my
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Had this happen to me also. Drove around for half an hour in 105 deg weather and parked the car. I stepped out the car and can still hear the driver side fan running. So I waited 10 mins and turn the ignition to on and heard the fan turn off but once I take out the key the fan would turn back on. After five mins i did the same thing but this time after taking the keys out the fan stayed off.

Has there been a solution to this?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Just checked the radiator and its full to the top and the reservoir is halfway. The rubber hose inside the reservoir is intact and the reservoir cap was replaced by me like six months ago because I overtightened it. The water pump was replaced with the tb job just three weeks ago. I didnt replace the thermostat. Would that cause the fan not going off?

The gauge on the dash didnt show any sign of overheating, it just stayed like two ticks below halfway mark like it normally does.

If its he relay where is it at and pictures would speak a thousand words. TIA.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Check the high and low engine block sensor.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Thread revive!

Try swapping a known good relay with the one for the fan.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
Thread revive!

Try swapping a known good relay with the one for the fan.
Is the relay in the fuse box?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Yes.underhood.

These relays tend to fail more usual than not. Not only on TL's . We replace them constantly at the dealer. 39794-sda-a03 is the part # IIRC ? The cars use the same Relay for other circuits as well.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
Yes.underhood.

These relays tend to fail more usual than not. Not only on TL's . We replace them constantly at the dealer. 39794-sda-a03 is the part # IIRC ? The cars use the same Relay for other circuits as well.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
i also have this problem, mixed with a little overheating...the needle was 3/4 to 7/8 of the way up on my 04. I did have the rubber tubing in the reservoir leaking a little so i tightened it.