Notices

2007 TL - Multiple Error Messages - Did I make a huge mistake?

 
Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 3
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 TL - Multiple Error Messages - Did I make a huge mistake?


I found a 2 owner 2007 TL with 115k miles. The car is clean, the test drive was really nice (plenty of acceleration, no strange noises, etc) so I went ahead and bought it. Not being a big car guy, in retrospect I should have paid a mechanic to look at it. That said, I was playing around with the touch screen options tonight and came across "Messages". Low and behold there are multiple messages with error codes listed (see.attached image). I noticed at least one of these is from 2016. Is there any chance these are old messages that were dealt with but for some reason never deleted? Like I said the car drives fine, and no engine lights are on, just these messages. I have a knot in my stomach right now thinking I just spent my hard earned money on a lemon here. On a scale of 1-10 how screwed am I?
NewTLOwnerFL is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:42 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 35
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NewTLOwnerFL View Post

I found a 2 owner 2007 TL with 115k miles. The car is clean, the test drive was really nice (plenty of acceleration, no strange noises, etc) so I went ahead and bought it. Not being a big car guy, in retrospect I should have paid a mechanic to look at it. That said, I was playing around with the touch screen options tonight and came across "Messages". Low and behold there are multiple messages with error codes listed (see.attached image). I noticed at least one of these is from 2016. Is there any chance these are old messages that were dealt with but for some reason never deleted? Like I said the car drives fine, and no engine lights are on, just these messages. I have a knot in my stomach right now thinking I just spent my hard earned money on a lemon here. On a scale of 1-10 how screwed am I?
Lol i think youll be fine. As long as theres no check engine lights on right now. And as you said, the car drives fine. Jist keep up with the maintenance and you should be okay
Gumby309 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Gumby309
Saving4aTL (03-28-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
MyGuti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 968
Liked 88 Times in 78 Posts
I would throw an OBDII scanner on the car and see if anything pops up, will help you understand what is going on with the car currently.
Not sure how you got to that messages screen, but it might just be a US vehicle feature. In either case, those messages should have a data log, meaning time and date of their occurrence. Go through them and see if any are recent.

That along with the OBDII scan will tell you if there is any current issues with the car.
MyGuti is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 PM
  #4  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,693
Liked 247 Times in 221 Posts
Atleast check to see what the problems are via OBD II scanner.


I'm sure if there is a problem, it won't be a huge. deal, and there may not be a problem at all, or one that requires assessment.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 07:49 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 6,688
Liked 988 Times in 849 Posts
The messages you saw are stored messages, if you concern about those code then have a mechanic look at system readiness using a scan tools. if the system is in "ready" stage you have nothing to worry about.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM
  #6  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,643
Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
Delete them, if they come back, then it's a true problem.
thoiboi is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
NBP04TL4ME (03-26-2019), Saving4aTL (03-28-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
GhostTL09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,176
Liked 99 Times in 89 Posts
I have bought used cars and had messages stored and never deleted. The dates on some of them were like 5 years old. I think you're fine as I have seen those on vehicles in the past and the transmissions and engines were perfect
GhostTL09 is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM
  #8  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 3
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the responses, it's really appreciated. I've driven the car to work 2 days in a row now (50 miles round trip) and the car runs fine. The only active warnings I've gotten were to tighten the gas cap and put air in the front driver's side tire. Going to follow the advice given here and have the car scanned to make sure those messages aren't regarding anything current. Thanks again to everyone who replied!
NewTLOwnerFL is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 PM
  #9  
Get Out Of The Left Lane!
 
NBP04TL4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SE Mass
Age: 52
Posts: 7,759
Liked 921 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Delete them, if they come back, then it's a true problem.
Very much this
NBP04TL4ME is offline  
The following users liked this post: NBP04TL4ME
NewTLOwnerFL (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 AM
  #10  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,693
Liked 247 Times in 221 Posts
Tighten Fuel Cap... Ahhh... How well does your bluetooth work, or dash look?
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 6,688
Liked 988 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Tighten Fuel Cap... Ahhh... How well does your bluetooth work, or dash look?
perfectly fine for me
truonghthe is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:17 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
WDPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,074
Liked 111 Times in 101 Posts
The first thing i do when I buy a 3g TL, unhook the HFL. People usually sell their TLs because of battery problems which usually leads back to HFL and cables.
WDPanda is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 03:44 AM
  #13  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,693
Liked 247 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPanda View Post
The first thing i do when I buy a 3g TL, unhook the HFL. People usually sell their TLs because of battery problems which usually leads back to HFL and cables.


Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-29-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Bored
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 02:39 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 3,021
Liked 719 Times in 509 Posts
I think you're fine. P0108 Manifold pressure, P2138 - pedal sensor, P1717 - transmission range switch, VSA. None of those messages are related, or caused by common historical failures with the TL. But all of them can be caused by low battery voltage. There's a fair chance the battery died or the previous owner let it drain too far then tried to start the car. Several systems freak out when that's done. The TL, and most modern cars, are especially sensitive to battery voltages. Sometimes they clear themselves after the battery is changed/charged. If not, someone will clear them and all will be well. But they'll still stick around in the history despite that.

Also, if those things were really going wrong you'd definitely know it, especially the pedal sensor or manifold pressure. The pedal sensor code can be caused by a faulty or unplugged throttle body cable. And the manifold pressure issue is usually caused by a bad MAP sensor. Both of those would cause the car to instantly go into limp mode and severely impact drivability.

Last edited by losiglow; 03-29-2019 at 02:41 PM.
losiglow is offline  
The following users liked this post: losiglow
NewTLOwnerFL (04-15-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York
Age: 28
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's an annoying way to delete these messages, most of these messages you can't delete if you don't go into the settings...


Follow that video for instructions to delete, after delete if they come back like everybody said then you have a problem, for tighten fuel cap replace Purge Control Valve..
xSunnyy is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 PM
  #16  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 3
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the video. I did manage to delete the messages this past Saturday and so far none have come back thankfully. So far so good. Car is running great. I will look into replacing the purge control valve as you suggested.

Outside of that the only issues I still need to deal with is the door unlocking when I make a sharp right turn while going over a bump (guessing that's a door sensor going bad) and the voice recognition isnt working. I get a "booting up" notice when I try to get into the hands free screen on the dash and the system isnt recognizing any voice commands. Any suggestions on where to start for troubleshooting that?

Originally Posted by xSunnyy View Post
There's an annoying way to delete these messages, most of these messages you can't delete if you don't go into the settings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-SjDIHmCx4

Follow that video for instructions to delete, after delete if they come back like everybody said then you have a problem, for tighten fuel cap replace Purge Control Valve..
NewTLOwnerFL is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York
Age: 28
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewTLOwnerFL View Post
Thank you for the video. I did manage to delete the messages this past Saturday and so far none have come back thankfully. So far so good. Car is running great. I will look into replacing the purge control valve as you suggested.

Outside of that the only issues I still need to deal with is the door unlocking when I make a sharp right turn while going over a bump (guessing that's a door sensor going bad) and the voice recognition isnt working. I get a "booting up" notice when I try to get into the hands free screen on the dash and the system isnt recognizing any voice commands. Any suggestions on where to start for troubleshooting that?
For the door check either the door sensor which has gone bad, very simple job. I bought mine from autozone for like 5 bucks and replaced it myself, sometimes also check your door striker that little silver thing the door locks onto. It becomes lose and will cause the door to have issues, it happens to me all the time I don't know why but I have to tighten it ever few months because it sounds like air is leaking in the door even if the door is locked or unlocked so get that tightened as well.
xSunnyy is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:31 PM
  #18  
sw0
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This works, thanks for the tip!
sw0 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 AM
  #19  
Registered but harmless
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 54
Posts: 14,026
Liked 667 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by NewTLOwnerFL View Post
.... the voice recognition isnt working. I get a "booting up" notice when I try to get into the hands free screen on the dash and the system isnt recognizing any voice commands. Any suggestions on where to start for troubleshooting that?
Is your Bluetooth/ HFL connected, i.e. does it pair with any cell phones?
If the HFL is not connected, there will be a "booting up" notice and voice control will not work because it operates with the HFL microphone.

The HFL is often disconnected in the 3G TL when it goes bad, as it can continue to draw power even when the car has been shit off longer than 30 minutes.
Will Y. is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Gen8888
3G TL Problems & Fixes
12
08-15-2008 02:33 PM
acuraowner4life
3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications
12
07-02-2008 04:10 AM
swami
Car Talk
45
05-01-2006 10:17 PM
Manumad
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
28
05-27-2004 04:10 PM
dogfight
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
6
11-18-2002 10:22 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 TL - Multiple Error Messages - Did I make a huge mistake?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.