'04 to '08 front lower control arm bushing failure - please read and look

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
^ i THINK so too,

btw eg, if you'd check out the design of these bushings, these are "shaped" the way your black bushing picture is "worn" ...

sohclubkid @ veesix performance says they're designed to allow the 3 axis movement of compliance bushing,, and to me, it sounds right.

here are the pictures
diagram and stock photo belong to superpro
the two other are from sohclubkid's thread, linked above.

** note this picture below is eccentric to allow caster adjustment **
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
My fiancee's 08 accord lca's looked eerily similar.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Lol. Good luck with those. The first thing to split will be those floating outer rings. Then your arm will be knocking around. :S

Last edited by 94eg!; 01-31-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM

what if we remove the poly and refill with large aggregate concrete?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So are the ARMS themselves the same on years from '04 - '08? Just want to be sure.

I wanted to get an extra set and replace the bushings to have on hand.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not sure I even this is even going to go anywhere but does anyone here work with honda/acrua that could answer me this? I'm curious if there is a specific press tool that was ordered to press out the old bushing. Only reason I ask is we have the same kind of issues on subaru bushings and we were able to order up the cup for pressing. Naturally as flat raters we came up with a way to press in and out the bushings on the car without removing the control arm so the job takes us maybe 10 min. and it's a lot easier. Obviously I looked at mine and they are torn. It's not the end of the world but at some point I'd like to at least replace them. I kind of glaced around at our subaru press tools and haven't found anything usable yet. Oh yeah if you can purchase them a part number would be nice. I'd gladly change anyones tl's in the area too for a reasonable price. lol
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by supraru
Not sure I even this is even going to go anywhere but does anyone here work with honda/acrua that could answer me this? I'm curious if there is a specific press tool that was ordered to press out the old bushing. Only reason I ask is we have the same kind of issues on subaru bushings and we were able to order up the cup for pressing. Naturally as flat raters we came up with a way to press in and out the bushings on the car without removing the control arm so the job takes us maybe 10 min. and it's a lot easier. Obviously I looked at mine and they are torn. It's not the end of the world but at some point I'd like to at least replace them. I kind of glaced around at our subaru press tools and haven't found anything usable yet. Oh yeah if you can purchase them a part number would be nice. I'd gladly change anyones tl's in the area too for a reasonable price. lol
Members have used these tools for pressing the bushings with the control arm removed. Don't know if either one will work without removing the control arm. See post #817 and #819.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FelDMgodyTsANQ

Keep us updated if you figure out a way to press the bushings "on the car". AFAIK, no one has been able to do this.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MacKenzie001
The ride on smooth roads is roughly the same, but more "feel" of the surface through the wheel. Beautiful on the highway, feels really tight. On rough roads, or potholes you definitely feel the impact more through the front end. But as I said I'm in NS Canada and most roads are shit, lol, but I'm quite content with them.
How are they holding up corrosion wise?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM

After finding a machine shop that was willing to remove and press in new one for $10 a side, I wouldn't bother going on the mission myself. Removing the Control arm was easy in comparison to trying to use sections of pipe and sockets with a huge vice.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Members have used these tools for pressing the bushings with the control arm removed. Don't know if either one will work without removing the control arm. See post #817 and #819.

Keep us updated if you figure out a way to press the bushings "on the car". AFAIK, no one has been able to do this.
Edit: There is now a review for the Schley tool where the user removed the bushings "on the car"....YMMV...

Edit2: and another review:

http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH6810.../dp/B0079GQLO2

He added a follow-up comment saying that using an impact wrench finally wore out the bolt...The update was done 6 months later. No indication on how many times it was used before it wore out...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-06-2013 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
glennjr15 (01-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
does everyone change out the other 2 bushings on the control arm too? i did the compliance bushing and the bushing under the suspension, but not the one that goes towards the subframe, but I did notice it was cracked when I had my lca removed
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM

^^^The one that the suspension kinda rests on, right?! I thought about that too...never did ended up doing it though.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Racer

Sweet, not sure when I'm going to replace mine. Maybe once spring comes around sing I'm going to put springs on and align the car. Next time I have my car up in the air I'll take a look at the set up. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do it on the car. I would be using my air gun so Unfortunatly that would cut a bunch of DIYers out of they don't have a strong enough gun or air supply.

Also that's basically how we came up with the on car process. We get 3 hrs for replacing the bushings. We started pulling off the control arms and using the press with the proper tool. We then used some press pieces laying around along with a bolt for our wheel bearing kit and made it work to use it while it was on car to get the job done way faster.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Racer

Edit: There is now a review for the Schley tool where the user removed the bushings "on the car"....YMMV...

Edit2: and another review:

http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH6810.../dp/B0079GQLO2

He added a follow-up comment saying that using an impact wrench finally wore out the bolt...The update was done 6 months later. No indication on how many times it was used before it wore out...
Not sure what kind of quality kit they use or the bolt used. Our subaru bolts for our on car bearing kit was made pretty nice and had coarse threads. At first only maybe 6 of us out of 13 techs used it as much as possible. The first bolt finally took it's own life I'd say around the year and a half mark. From the impact guns beating on the head of the bolt it just snapped off. Then around that time the hacks of the shop finally got a sniff of what we were selling and how quick and easy it was to do and how much time we got. We went through the next two bolts pretty quickly. Probably two in one year but we're not doing them as often anymore.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
#1 Super Guy!

In theory it should be super cheap to piece a tool like that together for one specific purpose. The problem is knowing what size pieces you need, and where to buy them. If someone DOES build their own tool, it would be great if they provided specs on the parts used and possible sources.

BTW: LoL @ the Schley tool kit. It's twice the price and less than half the parts of the Harbor Freight one. I've personally used the Harbor Freight FWD Bearing kit to press bearings and bushings. It's definitely worth the ~$80 even if the screw strips or breaks.

Last edited by 94eg!; 02-06-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 94eg!
In theory it should be super cheap to piece a tool like that together for one specific purpose. The problem is knowing what size pieces you need, and where to buy them. If someone DOES build their own tool, it would be great if they provided specs on the parts used and possible sources.

BTW: LoL @ the Schley tool kit. It's twice the price and less than half the parts of the Harbor Freight one. I've personally used the Harbor Freight FWD Bearing kit to press bearings and bushings. It's definitely worth the ~$80 even if the screw strips or breaks.
Did you do your lca bushing with it on the car with the harbor freight kit though or did you pull off the whole thing to use a press?

The only reason I ask is the one from auto tool world basically looks exactly like the tool we made for our subaru's at work. Given there is room to leave the ball joint attached and pull out the other two bolts to swing down the arm enough to pop in the tool and bang out that bushing. As long as that is possible like I said before it would only take 10-15 min at a shop to do a bushing job.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Race Director

Not sure what kind of quality kit they use or the bolt used. Our subaru bolts for our on car bearing kit was made pretty nice and had coarse threads....
Should be easy enough to source a stronger bolt if needed. That other guy was a mechanic and I suspect he got a fair amount of use out of that bolt before it died.

...I've personally used the Harbor Freight FWD Bearing kit to press bearings and bushings. It's definitely worth the ~$80 even if the screw strips or breaks.
Yes, but have you used it for Acura LCA bushings? Do you know for sure that it has the proper size fittings for the LCA bushings? And do you know for sure that the bolt is long enough for it to work "on car"?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Given there is room to leave the ball joint attached and pull out the other two bolts to swing down the arm enough to pop in the tool and bang out that bushing. As long as that is possible like I said before it would only take 10-15 min at a shop to do a bushing job.
I saw pics somewhere, someone did it with the lower ball joint attached,
compliance, rear, shock, and sway bar bolt undone. (duh..)

but he warned that he risked pulling apart the CV axle and it's the DIYer's fault if that happens. it's on this forum. somewhere.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Urethane will be DESTROYED in this application. They are meant only to allow rotation of the inner sleeve....not deflection or pivot. In fact this is what happens to a poly compensartor bushing after a couple years when it's mounted the "correct" way (from a Civic/Integra):

This is the same reason I don't like the idea of filling the bushing with window-weld. The arm needs to pivot and having a solid bushing there is going to resist than movement and mess with the ability for the arm to cycle.

The Super-pro idea looks like a good compromise, but honestly the Fastline/PCI compliance bearings are really the best, most permanent, no compromise option.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4drviper
I saw pics somewhere, someone did it with the lower ball joint attached,
compliance, rear, shock, and sway bar bolt undone. (duh..)

but he warned that he risked pulling apart the CV axle and it's the DIYer's fault if that happens. it's on this forum. somewhere.
Sweet, maybe I'll order it up sooner rather then later. If anyone is in the surrounding Philly area and wants it done cheaper then the dealers shoot me a pm.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Yes, but have you used it for Acura LCA bushings? Do you know for sure that it has the proper size fittings for the LCA bushings? And do you know for sure that the bolt is long enough for it to work "on car"?
Good point. I have not tried that kit on this specific bushing. I suppose the major factor would be determining if the forcing-screw would even fit through the bolt hole in the bushing. The specialized tool is probably a much safer bet. Though it costs like 5 times as much as having someone press the bushings for you, so it's kind of a difficult sale if you're not a shop.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM

^^^that was exactly my point.
If the product had been ready when I did mine, I would have gone with Marcus' product.
That said, my new LCA with the window weld has been holding up really well.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Racer

Good point. I have not tried that kit on this specific bushing. I suppose the major factor would be determining if the forcing-screw would even fit through the bolt hole in the bushing. The specialized tool is probably a much safer bet. Though it costs like 5 times as much as having someone press the bushings for you, so it's kind of a difficult sale if you're not a shop.
Maybe I looked at the number wrong but it listed for $129. That isn't 5 times more then the harbor freight kit.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Race Director

Anyone know the diameters required to press out the bushings? On a Honda, its 68mm and 65mm. Is it the same for the TL?

And after re-looking at this, I'm not sure that you can press out the bushing with the control arm still on the car. Sure looks like the lip/flange over the end of the control arm that houses the bushing will prevent this:

Name:  driver.jpg
Views: 7589
Size:  141.8 KB
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

bushing is 74mm

so i guess 74, 76-77?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4drviper
bushing is 74mm

so i guess 74, 76-77?
So the Harbor Freight kit may work? I'm looking at the 2.90" (73.66mm) bushing and the 2.997" (76.12mm) sleeve. I think the main issue is how deep is the 2.997" sleeve?? In the picture, it looks like the sleeves are deep enough...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-08-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 AM

Like Eg mentioned, if you're not a shop, why not just have it pressed in/out for you? I'm a die hard diy'er in the sense that I HATE paying for something I can do myself...after the headaches etc...for $20, I'd rather go that route the next time.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Like Eg mentioned, if you're not a shop, why not just have it pressed in/out for you? I'm a die hard diy'er in the sense that I HATE paying for something I can do myself...after the headaches etc...for $20, I'd rather go that route the next time.
This isn't necessarily for me. I have access to a lift and press at the base auto hobby shop.

But one could buy the HF kit for $87 shipped (with coupon), use it and then resell it in the BM for $60 -$65 (or just keep it). And it allows all the work to be done at home, saving the time it takes to drive to and from a shop with a press and waiting while they try to figure out how to press the bushings out.

It's a very viable option IMO.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM

^^^true, I guess I'd have gone that route too.
Well, I'm FOS because I DID go that route, I just ended up breaking my buddy's vice 1/2 through the install which added to my frustration. So at the end of it, I was like, FK THAT...should have dropped it off to be pressed and then gone to have a beer.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
#1 Super Guy!

This isn't necessarily for me. I have access to a lift and press at the base auto hobby shop.

But one could buy the HF kit for $87 shipped (with coupon), use it and then resell it in the BM for $60 -$65 (or just keep it). And it allows all the work to be done at home, saving the time it takes to drive to and from a shop with a press and waiting while they try to figure out how to press the bushings out.

It's a very viable option IMO.
It all depends on weather or not the forcing screw is narrow enough to fit through the bolt hole in the center of this bushing. The screw in that kit is pretty damn big.

As for the cups being deep enough, that is not a problem. They are designed to press wheel bearings which are thicker than any bushing I've seen on a Honda. They will have plenty of depth.

Last edited by 94eg!; 02-08-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
^^^that was exactly my point.
If the product had been ready when I did mine, I would have gone with Marcus' product.
That said, my new LCA with the window weld has been holding up really well.
Of course it is holding up! The damn thing is glued together

But that does not mean the suspension is cycling correct. Anyway, if you wanna give the FLP bearings a try let me know.
rockstar143 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Race Director

It all depends on weather or not the forcing screw is narrow enough to fit through the bolt hole in the center of this bushing. The screw in that kit is pretty damn big.

As for the cups being deep enough, that is not a problem. They are designed to press wheel bearings which are thicker than any bushing I've seen on a Honda. They will have plenty of depth.
Is the HF bolt/screw fatter than 14mm?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Sorry I don't know. I no longer have my set.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like everyone else is having the same issue as me.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Race Director

Anyone know the outside diameter of the rear-most bushing for the LCA?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Race Director

FYI, found a universal ball joint separator that works on Hondas (according to multiple reviews). Only $19 shipped. I'll let you know if it works on the TL in about 2 weeks

http://www.sears.com/kd-tools-univer...-00996404000P?

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
glennjr15 (01-06-2017)
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Don't quote me, nfn, but I'm almost positive that one won't work. I tried using a fork style on the first side and although it probably could have worked, I tore the boot and it's a bishhhhh to replace that boot or balljoint.

Anyway, I had one of these 5 piece kits from advance auto, and the one that ended up working flawlessly because it spreads wide enough to grab the top portion of the wide lower control arm (at the point where the balljoint goes through).

Name:  balljoint_zpsefb967b5.jpg
Views: 4777
Size:  70.1 KB
glennjr15 (01-06-2017)
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Race Director

Don't quote me, nfn, but I'm almost positive that one won't work. I tried using a fork style on the first side and although it probably could have worked, I tore the boot and it's a bishhhhh to replace that boot or balljoint.

Anyway, I had one of these 5 piece kits from advance auto, and the one that ended up working flawlessly because it spreads wide enough to grab the top portion of the wide lower control arm (at the point where the balljoint goes through).

Hmmm, guess I'll have both on hand just in case. The KD tool has some great reviews from Honda users. I'm making somewhat of an assumption that that success will transfer to the TL. We shall see and I'll let everyone know.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Ok. Do.
It's not like the traditional upper balljoint though, you'll see. I'm sure that clip would work awesome on the upper.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Racer

Seems like it's been forever but finally got some bushings that failed inspection today. Took a couple snap shots so you guys can see how the tool is used. It's very easy on subaru's to do it on car but the TL's hopefully should be about the same. At the least the tool is nearly identical just subaru's bushings are smaller.

I mark the control arm which is coincides with the pattern on the inside of the bushing just to make it easy and make sure I install it correctly.

Name:  68764684-40CA-467F-B4A9-96B5DCC4E9D8-2813-000001CF3CCEF622_zpsce671f27.jpg
Views: 4836
Size:  281.8 KB

Cup half way though bushing almost out.

Name:  49923A8C-5621-4A25-898C-F2391EB14ED3-2813-000001CF47CDD5A9_zps4eca8ca0.jpg
Views: 4818
Size:  243.7 KB

Bushing hanging out there and completely out.

Name:  39397228-E676-4AAD-A011-6784A8E612E7-2813-000001CF4AB1EACE_zps386dc75b.jpg
Views: 4670
Size:  219.5 KB

New bushing marked at the same spot the old one was marked at on the control arm for correct instal.

Name:  652F541A-BAFF-4AAE-B1CD-98C8D35502BC-2813-000001CF4DD22741_zpscd1feb02.jpg
Views: 4745
Size:  248.0 KB

Pretty simple. Just hope there is enough swing on the control arm on the TL.

Quick Reply: '04 to '08 front lower control arm bushing failure - please read and look