Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^oh yeah i remember you saying that.

yeah the CF dinoc is thick, pliable. way different than the brushed alum or even the black vinyl.

i like working with the CF more than anything else. after i wrapped the silver trim piece above the license plate i was like wow that was easy, then i went to wrap the entire garnish in the black vinyl and forgot how thin and stretchy it was in comparison to the CF. oh well, it turned out good in the end.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Well, only experience I had with the cf vinyl was doing the type s diffuser amber pieces and that part was SUPER smooth.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 AM
BANNED

ok...so i when i wrapped the rear garnish with the black vinyl, the cuts i had to make to expose the reverse lights did not come out even. it was a hack job. so then i thought, instead of starting over with brand new vinyl, i could just make a border/frame around the reverse lights with CF dinoc to cover up the shoddy workmanship.

here is what i came up with.

problem is, i'm not sure if i like it. i think i would rather have the entire bottom area BLACK, with no CF frame. but who knows, maybe it'll grow on me. if i get tired of it, i'll just rip it off and wrap the piece the correct way.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
i need a shot from farther back to see if i like it.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
BANNED

^yeah i'll try and grab one later. here is one with better lighting.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
not sure about this one aaron, i think the cf over the reverse lights is a bit too much
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Not feelin the CF around the reverse lights...looks kinda half assed - the only thing on your car that does I might add. I tried to wrap that piece with black vinyl too and did a shitty job cutting out holes for the reverse lights, and ended up in the same situation as you...looked like a hack job, so I ripped it off until I can figure out a better way. I think I'll have to make a some kind of stencil or something and stick it over the reverse lights, then wrap the whole thing with the stencils stuck in place, cutting around the stencils, essentially removing them and leaving even sized openings for the reverse lights...rambling, but you get the idea...it's just one of the ways I've been thinking of redoing this...Hopefully it works out
Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Twisdit
not sure about this one aaron, i think the cf over the reverse lights is a bit too much
agreed. i just didn't know what else to do haha

Originally Posted by BigPZ
Not feelin the CF around the reverse lights...looks kinda half assed - the only thing on your car that does I might add. I tried to wrap that piece with black vinyl too and did a shitty job cutting out holes for the reverse lights, and ended up in the same situation as you...looked like a hack job, so I ripped it off until I can figure out a better way. I think I'll have to make a some kind of stencil or something and stick it over the reverse lights, then wrap the whole thing with the stencils stuck in place, cutting around the stencils, essentially removing them and leaving even sized openings for the reverse lights...rambling, but you get the idea...it's just one of the ways I've been thinking of redoing this...Hopefully it works out
thanks for the criticism, joe. i agree with what you're saying.

i tried doing the stencil deal with some cardboard cut outs on the previous page, and that's where i ran into trouble. i couldn't get clean cuts and it came out lookin like a 6 year old cut it with plastic scissors.

i've got a place i can go to that'll re-wrap the whole thing in black and do it clean for $50...i'll get around to it eventually. for now i could just copy and paste some black vinyl over the CF border and call it a day...might look a bit better.

i could probably do it myself, i just don't feel like going through with the hassle.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
I know about the cardboard stencils and the problems...I was thinking more a thin plastic (thickness similar to a plastic cup). You make the stencil, then stick it right over each reverse light. Once stuck on, you wrap the whole thing in black vinyl. Then carefully cut each stencil out, and remove them/wash any glue off the garnish. Hopefully this allows for cleaner cuts...

This idea has been in my head for some time now, I think I might try to hammer it out tomorrow on my day off. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

all this carbon fiber got me thinking if i should cf my side mirrors ( gloss ). I have 2 big gashes on the passenger side and want to cover it up without having to spend $$$ to repair it. mmmm
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
BANNED

thanks joe. i'd rather do it myself and save the $50...i just don't know if i have enough black vinyl to start all over again.

wanna send some my way?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I like the CF on the strip across the top of the license plate but IMO the other portions just look a little off. Did you paint that trim behind the license plate? I think the way that is in stock form would blend with the CF upper strip really well.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
can you take the vinyl off the other part but keep it on the trunk trim and take a farther picture lol
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
I like the CF on the strip across the top of the license plate but IMO the other portions just look a little off. Did you paint that trim behind the license plate? I think the way that is in stock form would blend with the CF upper strip really well.
yeah the CF strip on the top strip is staying for sure.

the entire garnish is wrapped with black vinyl.

Originally Posted by mrlal8
can you take the vinyl off the other part but keep it on the trunk trim and take a farther picture lol
lolwut?

i'm probably going to end up removing th CF frame around the reverse lights and just keep it black all the way across (like i wanted to do originally, but messed up with the cutting process)

Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

i meant remove the vinyl form the reverse lights...step farther back away from the car and take the pic lol
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
BANNED

i meant remove the vinyl form the reverse lights...step farther back away from the car and take the pic lol
lol no way! you know how long it took to trace out those CF frames for the reverse lights?

underneath the CF frame is jagged/uneven/fucked up cuts that look like crap. i'd rather have the CF on there than the crap cuts.

i'm just gonna re-do the whole bottom in black and call it a day.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

hahhaha thatll look much better

im going to get my type S lip with blacked out middle grille today ....we might be twins with different hair styles aka rims
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
okay, now seeing that picture, i don't hate it.

but it sticks out compared to everything else. it doesn't have that attention to detail the rest has.

if it grows on you, try a smaller outline at least. stencil/mirror so they are perfectly identical also. i can tell they aren't symmetrical, but that's my OCD.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
not feeling the "windows" around the reverse lights. do over!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
BANNED

hahhaha thatll look much better

im going to get my type S lip with blacked out middle grille today ....we might be twins with different hair styles aka rims
very cool! too bad i'm getting rid of my blacked out front grill...

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
okay, now seeing that picture, i don't hate it.

but it sticks out compared to everything else. it doesn't have that attention to detail the rest has.

if it grows on you, try a smaller outline at least. stencil/mirror so they are perfectly identical also. i can tell they aren't symmetrical, but that's my OCD.

yeah i know what you mean. it was more of a spur of the moment bandaid fix. i'm going to redo everything this friday.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
not feeling the "windows" around the reverse lights. do over!
me either! ugh...don't worry, i won't have it on for the meet!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah shark I'm gonna half to agree with everyone else. Loose the cf around the lights. Also you should try tracing paper over the light for the reverse cut out. Maybe pull the e brake up put the car in reverse with it on alt of course. The light may help better to trace that line for the reverse outline. Or you can use blue masking taping and trim it out cover the clear part the vinyl over it. It should leave the same outline with the asking tape under it and just cut it out.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM

maybe carbon fiber inside the reverse light's housing??
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
I like the innovation but glad to read that you're going to re-do it
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
Is there anything above the rear trim (the piece that you cover with carbon fiber?
I have to admint, i love what you have done to your car so far but this mod doesn't quite look well. The carbon fiber pieces that you put around the rear lights look like they don't belong there besides they seem to not have the same proportion. Perhaps if you wrap the whole lince place thing with carbon fiber it would look much better. Just my humble opinion.

The rest looks good

Glad you are going to re-do it, please post pictures once it is done
Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
am not diggin it either....A+ for effort and install....

I dont think the perimeter of the reverse lights look good....now if you wrap the full thing it will look sweet....

this is how mine looks....I have the full thing painted NBP (imagine a CF wrap instead) LOL....ignore the paint chip, it has been fixed and thats not my house....

Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

I dont think the perimeter of the reverse lights look good....now if you wrap the full thing it will look sweet....

this is how mine looks....I have the full thing painted NBP (imagine a CF wrap instead) LOL....ignore the paint chip, it has been fixed and thats not my house....

damn looks good with the whole assembly wrapped

btw is your rear lip sagging on the right? =P
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 PM

^^^ I knew someone would pick on that....I fixed that....

I fixed the paint chip the rear type S lip and the roof spoiler....(this pic doesnt have it)....freaking came off while doing 80 on the highway hahaha lol....

and GP its painted....not wrapped.....no turning back haha
Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 AM
BANNED

hmm...can't tell from the responses if you guys like it or not.

either way, it's coming off tomorrow afternoon!

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Yeah shark I'm gonna half to agree with everyone else. Loose the cf around the lights. Also you should try tracing paper over the light for the reverse cut out. Maybe pull the e brake up put the car in reverse with it on alt of course. The light may help better to trace that line for the reverse outline. Or you can use blue masking taping and trim it out cover the clear part the vinyl over it. It should leave the same outline with the asking tape under it and just cut it out.
yeah scott i'll be rectifying the whole situation tomorrow after work. i was gonna wait til friday, but it's annoying me more n more with each passing minute.

maybe carbon fiber inside the reverse light's housing??
gotta keep em' clear...reverse HID's need room to breathe!

Originally Posted by I are LEGEND
I like the innovation but glad to read that you're going to re-do it
thanks. i'm glad i'm re-doing it as well.

Originally Posted by 24no7
Is there anything above the rear trim (the piece that you cover with carbon fiber?
I have to admint, i love what you have done to your car so far but this mod doesn't quite look well. The carbon fiber pieces that you put around the rear lights look like they don't belong there besides they seem to not have the same proportion. Perhaps if you wrap the whole lince place thing with carbon fiber it would look much better. Just my humble opinion.

The rest looks good

Glad you are going to re-do it, please post pictures once it is done
yeah this was very spur of the moment. i was bored...wanted something to do. at least now i know what i need to do and do it right.

yeah that's what i'm gonna do. it'll look like yours except i'm keeping the top license trim piece wrapped in CF. the rest will stay glossy black.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 AM

^^^ why dont u wrap all of it
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM
BANNED

^what do you mean? wrap everything in black vinyl?

i have the CF in my tail lights, and i like the way the CF looks up top...subtle look.

then i like the way the glossy black matches the NBP paint so it's the best of both worlds.

what'd you have in mind?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
how about doing the license plate well in either all black like you planned or graphite/gunmetal CF? not sure how that would look, but it goes with your interior theme.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM

^^^ yeah i like that idea....

when I meant all of it, I meant the full license plate frame....but that will make it stand out....i like TLtrigirl's idea better or ur idea of just having the frame glossy black and the chrome bar CF wrapped....
Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
how about doing the license plate well in either all black like you planned or graphite/gunmetal CF? not sure how that would look, but it goes with your interior theme.
i had thought about something along those lines, but i don't have enough of the graphite CF left over and i don't feel like ordering anymore.

^^^ yeah i like that idea....

when I meant all of it, I meant the full license plate frame....but that will make it stand out....i like TLtrigirl's idea better or ur idea of just having the frame glossy black and the chrome bar CF wrapped....
yeah the glossy black blends in real well with the NBP and that's what i'm shootin' for!

FED-ex just dropped by...

what have we here?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM

nice! wish i had it for some bling under the hood. too bad i cant justify the amount it cost. So, here's my alternative hehehe

Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sharky, leave the carbon fiber on the rear and see how you feel about it in a week or so.

But I like the new RV6-P !!!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
damn nice RV6 bar!

Saw the for sale thread for it haha
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM

that will add a lot of to ur engine bay.....
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
BANNED

nice! wish i had it for some bling under the hood. too bad i cant justify the amount it cost. So, here's my alternative hehehe
ingenuity!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sharky, leave the carbon fiber on the rear and see how you feel about it in a week or so.

But I like the new RV6-P !!!
yeah i'm not sure...it's starting to annoy me. getting removed today!

rv6 bar is beautiful. richie made a nice one here.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
damn nice RV6 bar!

Saw the for sale thread for it haha
yeah buddy! gotta get rid of those pesky OEM parts!

that will add a lot of to ur engine bay.....
hell yeah! lookin forward to the install!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 AM

^^^ besides....thanks for not teasing....there are wayyyyy to many teaser threads on Azine....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM
BANNED

^^^ besides....thanks for not teasing....there are wayyyyy to many teaser threads on Azine....
no problem dude.

besides, i've still left you all wondering what was in here...

Quick Reply: Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)