New wheel projects - updated 7/15.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
New wheel projects - updated 7/15.

First task on the board, fit my rear wheels up front and order new ones for the rear! People always complimented me on how much dish i fit out back behind stock fenders...well now the lip is moving on up front and getting even wider and deeper in the back.

The rear wheels have been ordered, and the fronts fitted. In actuallity, the front fender is a lot lower than in this pic...my sideskirts were sitting on my jack, not allowing me to go full down + coils need to settle.

However, until my rear wheels come in (3 month wait, ugh ) I will be working with these 19x9+0 front, 19x10+0 rear. Going to need a 225/35 on the rear to get em to work properly.

Over the weekend, i lowered the rear a bit more as well

'Tis all for now, stay tuned for updates. Have a nice holiday season everyone!!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you still using the Shallens or do you have a different wheel setup
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not for me, but I applaud the effort!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
are you still using the Shallens or do you have a different wheel setup
the shallens are the ones i ordered new rears of. im using something different until those new rears come in. the real wheels get fitted next year
Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
1st TL-S on air in

so what is the new specs on the new wheels also what is going on with air.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks sick but that's gotta rub the fender
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Originally Posted by scotterson
TO Funny LMAO
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

so what is the new specs on the new wheels also what is going on with air.
new wheel is 10.5+6....was gonna cash in on a group buy for air runner but ultimately decided against it. I would still like to go air for the convenience factor later on in the future, but for the time being, theres just other things id rather spend the money on. I'm able to ride lower on coils than i would on air, and im at the point where even hardparked, air wont allow me to get much lower except for in the front...1/2" drop while parked isnt worth ~5k to me, at least for the moment. Instead, im working on, if you remember, that idea i PMed you about before regarding getting the front bumper lower.

as for rubbing, the idea is to get it not to...of course ill always end up rubbing, if i wasnt, than im not low or flush enough. but new tires will make it so the rubbing is only slight and wont damage anything.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by DecaFe1
new wheel is 10.5+6....was gonna cash in on a group buy for air runner but ultimately decided against it. I would still like to go air for the convenience factor later on in the future, but for the time being, theres just other things id rather spend the money on. I'm able to ride lower on coils than i would on air, and im at the point where even hardparked, air wont allow me to get much lower except for in the front...1/2" drop while parked isnt worth ~5k to me, at least for the moment. Instead, im working on, if you remember, that idea i PMed you about before regarding getting the front bumper lower.

as for rubbing, the idea is to get it not to...of course ill always end up rubbing, if i wasnt, than im not low or flush enough. but new tires will make it so the rubbing is only slight and wont damage anything.
Sorry but how are you able to ride lower on coilovers than on air. I think the ride height can be achieved on either air or coilovers. Also i think with the new wheel specs, body work will have to be incorporated some how unless you really want do drive with drastic camber which in my opinion is more ugly than i higher offsetting fitted wheel that is hellaflush. But keep up the hard work and the car will continue to come along just fine
Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry but how are you able to ride lower on coilovers than on air. I think the ride height can be achieved on either air or coilovers. Also i think with the new wheel specs, body work will have to be incorporated some how unless you really want do drive with drastic camber which in my opinion is more ugly than i higher offsetting fitted wheel that is hellaflush. But keep up the hard work and the car will continue to come along just fine
1st off would be stiffness of ride. i know this isnt TOO big of an issue with the advancements air has made, but i still feel more comfortable with it.

2nd would be the fact that with air, you set your camber to how you want it when full down. when you air up to drive, your wheels tend to flair out, altering the look of the ride. to me, its about riding as low as i can, and i think the fact that i daily my ride on coils at this stance garners respect amongst the tuner crowd.

different strokes for different folks...i of course appreciate the VIP rides that get body work to fit aggressive wheels, but my style is to get the biggest wheel you can under stock fenders. going for the widest, lowest offset you can is, in my oppinion, mostly for bragging rights...in the end, its about how the wheels fit, not the numbers. if i can get 5.5" of lip with a +6 offset, theres no need to buy negative offset wheels with fender work to match. besides, im more a fan of drastic camber anyway, ive been dailying on -7 camber for a while now. 10.5+6 WILL fit behind stock fenders...10+0 is the same thing, front spacing wise, and it will fit just fine with a 225/35.

however, like i said, the negative offset wheels, air ride, fenderwork WILL come, but thats when im ready to pull the trigger on the rest of the package.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by DecaFe1
1st off would be stiffness of ride. i know this isnt TOO big of an issue with the advancements air has made, but i still feel more comfortable with it.

2nd would be the fact that with air, you set your camber to how you want it when full down. when you air up to drive, your wheels tend to flair out, altering the look of the ride. to me, its about riding as low as i can, and i think the fact that i daily my ride on coils at this stance garners respect amongst the tuner crowd.

different strokes for different folks...i of course appreciate the VIP rides that get body work to fit aggressive wheels, but my style is to get the biggest wheel you can under stock fenders. going for the widest, lowest offset you can is, in my oppinion, mostly for bragging rights...in the end, its about how the wheels fit, not the numbers. if i can get 5.5" of lip with a +6 offset, theres no need to buy negative offset wheels with fender work to match. besides, im more a fan of drastic camber anyway, ive been dailying on -7 camber for a while now. 10.5+6 WILL fit behind stock fenders...10+0 is the same thing, front spacing wise, and it will fit just fine with a 225/35.

however, like i said, the negative offset wheels, air ride, fenderwork WILL come, but thats when im ready to pull the trigger on the rest of the package.
With air runner you can change the stiffness of the ride just like you are able to change it on the Tein SS.

Also when you get the alignment you get it done at drive height. When you dump the air from the bags all you are doing is gaining more camber which in theory for air guys you never dump all the air unless you are at a stand still.

To me is not about the offset number but more on how the stance is achieved. IMO cars that drive like this with so much camber is just plain ugly. Granted he is on bags and is slammed but the drive height with alot of camber is not my thing.

I prefer to have a parked stance like this and be hellaflush while driving. With less camber and closer to factory design camber specs.

Also there are alot things you want to take into consideration when making wheel selection, like how structurally sound the wheels are when you get into negative offsets. You dont wanna be into negative offsets with the wheel lip being bigger than the wheel barrel thus causing the wheel to bend easier than a 0 or plus offset. To me its not about the number of the offset but the way it is all put together. In the end have fun with it
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

. To me its not about the number of the offset but the way it is all put together. In the end have fun with it

i completely agree, its about the complete picture, not a stats sheet. I'm one of the few that happen to love a lot of camber :P

the reason i said adjust camber when full bagged, is because even if i was on air, id radius the fender so that it sits flush even when hardparked, not tucked like some people go for.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
KoolKatz..

Sheesh where do you live that don't have potholes? Sick look but impracticle, you must be ....ahem.....single? GL
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Etohprn247
Sheesh where do you live that don't have potholes? Sick look but impracticle, you must be ....ahem.....single? GL
i live in northern california...its no NY, but we have our share of potholes and shitty roads...i just know my routes and, to be honest, dont really care haha.

as for the single...officially, yes, but i do have ladys that i need to provide for
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
damn deca...pushing the limits looking forward to seeing it when u get the new back rims on.

i wonder how wide and how low the offset has to be before the rims start hitting the suspension body. it seems like nobody has this problem but a few years ago a guy had something like 20x9.5 +35 and i think the rims were rubbing the shocks in the back.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by wasupdog
damn deca...pushing the limits looking forward to seeing it when u get the new back rims on.

i wonder how wide and how low the offset has to be before the rims start hitting the suspension body. it seems like nobody has this problem but a few years ago a guy had something like 20x9.5 +35 and i think the rims were rubbing the shocks in the back.
Good point about rubbing the the suspension body, When i was fully dumped with a 10 +23 in the rear my wheel would lean up against the strut body. I wonder if decafe will be able to fit the wheel within the stock fender without rubbing the strut. I guess the only way to know is to do some calculations.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 AM
AKA WalkerUA6

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. +0 offset huh? U sure its not -0 offset?
Lol, I love when people say +0. 0 is 0 there is no neg or pos ZERO offset

-5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 there's clearly not neg or pos 0.

Other then that? I'm excited to see the final product. However I think it looks soo much cleaner wit flared fenders vs. Crazy neg camber. There's a fine line between clean and wack and too much neg camber is wack. Rodney them flared fenders to get a big lip (agressive wheel) but yet kept it clean.

Flaring fenders and body work to fit agressive wheels and achive a perfect stance is commitment and legit. Runing crazy camber is not, its cheap and fast and ugly

Cheers
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Everyone has brought up very good points...

DeCafe is into the Coilover suspension system with a lot of camber... that's a known fact around here and other forums. I respect that. Like he said, it's where he feels most comfortable with.

Like Justin (wrxyboy) expained and we have almost the same system in our cars, shit we helped each other out through the whole process. The alignment is set at drive height and we both have an autoleveling system that is both pressure and height based, so no matter how much weight we have in the car, it adjusts to be at the designated ride height. I've been rolling around since July and my tires have 90 thread left. I have taken many long trips and the TL is my daily driver. I've put over 10,000 miles on the car since fitting the wheels to the car.

When I did my body work my goal was to drive while FLUSH and to park with a tuck (for the WOW factor). I could have radiused the rears and have the flush park and Poke drive height. The suspension geometry of the TL is A LOT different than those of the typical VIP Cars. That they can achieve both drive flush and park flush. My real main goal was to have a rub free driving environment here in NYC. The body shop tubbed and raised my rear inner Fender for more suspension travel. I love my setup.

I bet I'll love your setup too, DeCafe. I can't wait to see the final outcome.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
not my style really but the work and love that's going into it is awesome.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
static dumpage

Damn now that's some legit shit goin on. I ride fully dumped on mine just like you. Can't wait to see the final product. You going to the leftcoastlow/stanceworks meet this Sunday ? It's in sb
Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wasupdog

thanks for the compliment. You should see the inner barrels of my current set up when im going up driveways and stuff, you can hear my tire rubbing the fender, my tire rubbing the top of my wheel well, and my inner barrel rubbing the strut. doesnt rub under normal driving conditions however. a 19x10et0 has the same back spacing as my current 19x10et23, therefor the offset shouldnt cause me to rub the coil anymore than i already do

Originally Posted by sevank21
Hmmm, interesting. +0 offset huh? U sure its not -0 offset?
Lol, I love when people say +0. 0 is 0 there is no neg or pos ZERO offset

-5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 there's clearly not neg or pos 0.

Other then that? I'm excited to see the final product. However I think it looks soo much cleaner wit flared fenders vs. Crazy neg camber. There's a fine line between clean and wack and too much neg camber is wack. Rodney them flared fenders to get a big lip (agressive wheel) but yet kept it clean.

Flaring fenders and body work to fit agressive wheels and achive a perfect stance is commitment and legit. Runing crazy camber is not, its cheap and fast and ugly

Cheers
i will make sure to put et0 from now As i said previous, its a matter of preference. Will i eventually be getting my fenders worked on? Yes i will, when im ready for a full respray, front end conversion, and 11 inch wide wheels in negative offsets. However, you better believe that I'm going to have the same fitment. I'm not getting wider fenders so i can fit these rims, im getting wider fenders so i can fit wider rims; i'd treat it as if it was stock. I am a fan of static drops with massive camber, its just the type of build i like. I cant please everyone, so sorry if you find my car cheap, fast, ugly, and wack. To me, its daring, different, "hardcore", and nice. We all know that Rodney successfully achieved the look he was going for......Rodney knows more than anyone on this forum the type of cars i like, how much i respect his car, but also, the details that i dislike about his car. Am i hating on fender flares? not at all, just not how id build my car. how does getting body work show any more commitment than riding on -7 camber every single day and getting new tires every 1-2 months? How is crazy negative camber, which HUNDREDS of VIP cars in Japan, the place we all get our inspiration, are running any less legit then getting bodywork to fit equally aggressive wheels? It's not, its just a difference in taste. 2010 will be a big year for me, and i think you'll like what i have in store.

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Everyone has brought up very good points...

DeCafe is into the Coilover suspension system with a lot of camber... that's a known fact around here and other forums. I respect that. Like he said, it's where he feels most comfortable with.

Like Justin (wrxyboy) expained and we have almost the same system in our cars, shit we helped each other out through the whole process. The alignment is set at drive height and we both have an autoleveling system that is both pressure and height based, so no matter how much weight we have in the car, it adjusts to be at the designated ride height. I've been rolling around since July and my tires have 90 thread left. I have taken many long trips and the TL is my daily driver. I've put over 10,000 miles on the car since fitting the wheels to the car.

When I did my body work my goal was to drive while FLUSH and to park with a tuck (for the WOW factor). I could have radiused the rears and have the flush park and Poke drive height. The suspension geometry of the TL is A LOT different than those of the typical VIP Cars. That they can achieve both drive flush and park flush. My real main goal was to have a rub free driving environment here in NYC. The body shop tubbed and raised my rear inner Fender for more suspension travel. I love my setup.

I bet I'll love your setup too, DeCafe. I can't wait to see the final outcome.
rodney, me you and wrx are the only ones holding it down for VIP style atm, with all of my favorite posters "retiring"

Originally Posted by dumpedk24
Damn now that's some legit shit goin on. I ride fully dumped on mine just like you. Can't wait to see the final product. You going to the leftcoastlow/stanceworks meet this Sunday ? It's in sb
thanks, im not going to that meet, but if i was, you know id ride there dumped :P

Last edited by DecaFe1; 12-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Do your thing man, can't wait to see future updates.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Illist

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
i like the points brought up in this thread too all opinons. what it does come down too is personal preferance. I'd like to point out though A lot of the japanese VIP cars in JAPAN do not use bags, and run -6 and beyond camber, as comapred to the VIP scene here in America which is more conservative. Though we have places like Autofashion pushing the limits of VIP here in america.

Cant wait to see what you got in store for your car DecaFe1!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
static dumpage

You sold the work meisters? What coilover setup you running? Megans or teins with custom springs?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM
..PRAXIS..

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Love the progress. A lot of people seem to forget that the fronts need love too! Good to see big lip up front and your rears are so ill.

Like VipTL said, japan is big on coils. If anyone on here gets VIPstlye and VIPcar you'll see 80% of the cars are rolling cambered on coils.

And to the guy who said its cheap and easy... try fabricating new linkage for increased camber, correct susp. travel, and correct toe. Pick up a copy of and see some of the setups these guys in japan are reppin.. you'll eat your words.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Just like Here and in Japan... 80% of the people slammed on coils with excessive camber DON'T Daily their car...

Actually... I haven't even seen a VIP CAR in the US that's making noise, in terms of done correctly, that's on Coils...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dumpedk24
You sold the work meisters? What coilover setup you running? Megans or teins with custom springs?
meisters have been gone. im on Megans.

Just like Here and in Japan... 80% of the people slammed on coils with excessive camber DON'T Daily their car...

Actually... I haven't even seen a VIP CAR in the US that's making noise, in terms of done correctly, that's on Coils...
and thats exactly the goal! me and Ron, Urmyhero4now on vsc, are trying to change that in 2010 :P

Originally Posted by 02ACTcLean
Love the progress. A lot of people seem to forget that the fronts need love too! Good to see big lip up front and your rears are so ill.

Like VipTL said, japan is big on coils. If anyone on here gets VIPstlye and VIPcar you'll see 80% of the cars are rolling cambered on coils.

And to the guy who said its cheap and easy... try fabricating new linkage for increased camber, correct susp. travel, and correct toe. Pick up a copy of and see some of the setups these guys in japan are reppin.. you'll eat your words.

thank you sir. and yes, it takes a LOT of work to get proper fitment on coils...if anything i'd say air is EASIER. Thats not to take away from air however, because really, flush or VIP is hard and expensive no matter which route you go. I'll be going mad scientist on my front camber plates in the near future to fit some more beastly wheels up there.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

such a sketchy stretch
Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

and such a sketchy contact patch

Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What tire company do you use?

Im gonna go buy stock in them...

Looks good none the less.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sT04Louis
What tire company do you use?

Im gonna go buy stock in them...

Looks good none the less.
ahaha i use what evers cheap and readily available.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Damn... I haven't seen a tire in that condition since I had an Integra and I didn't discover camber kits... WTF!!! That's just disaster ready to happen at anytime. Flip your tires more often.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

it looks kinda akward to me
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Illist

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
get yo demon camba on!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn... I haven't seen a tire in that condition since I had an Integra and I didn't discover camber kits... WTF!!! That's just disaster ready to happen at anytime. Flip your tires more often.
haha yea, it does get irritating...once a month
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

you are fuckin hardcore haha

I been dailying at -4.5 camber for 5 months now and havent flipped my tires once yet. Nowhere near as stretched and cambered as you are though. I still should prob flip em in the next month or so...

Anyways like I said before, keep doin your thing
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
you are fuckin hardcore haha

I been dailying at -4.5 camber for 5 months now and havent flipped my tires once yet. Nowhere near as stretched and cambered as you are though. I still should prob flip em in the next month or so...

Anyways like I said before, keep doin your thing
haha yea the camber def. takes it toll on tires, but im also riding on some totally jacked up rear toe alignment to keep my fender from chewing my rim at my ride height
Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

yeah I know where you are talkin about. My rears rub there all the time when I hit bumps on the freeway but mine just rubs on the tire. When these tires wear out I am going to run more stretch, hopefully I don't rub rim though with the new tires. You are running crazy stretch though I will probably just run 245 or maaaaybe 235 on my rears, I don't have the balls to run a setup like yours haha
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
yeah I know where you are talkin about. My rears rub there all the time when I hit bumps on the freeway but mine just rubs on the tire. When these tires wear out I am going to run more stretch, hopefully I don't rub rim though with the new tires. You are running crazy stretch though I will probably just run 245 or maaaaybe 235 on my rears, I don't have the balls to run a setup like yours haha
i can assure you a 235/35 on a 10 is 100% safe.

Quick Reply: New wheel projects - updated 7/15.