My upcoming final projekts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bforbrian
I basically did.... im in the process of "reducing" my car.

I'm going to keep the stance, wheels, and headlights. that's it.
But I see your headlights are up for sale now. Did you change your mind?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by detailinguy99
But I see your headlights are up for sale now. Did you change your mind?
That i did.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If I had a TL right now (hopefully soon), I'd definately be snatching these up. I love the work you did w/ the LED strip. GL w/ the sale bud.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Instructor

I would too. But I don't have type s headlights. And to spend 500+ on headlights seems silly to me.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
Now that I'm a second semester senior, I'm taking the minimum # of credits which is 12, and my schedule has allowed me to spend more time on my car. SO, there are a couple of projects that will permit me to "finalize" my car and "be done with it..."

So you guys know me by now, I'm a headlight maniac--along with rockyfeller--and have decided to invest in a brand new set of type s headlights with all internal parts upgraded..

1. Headlights
-Oznium CCFLx4
-Oznium "Thin LED Strips, Audi style"
-Genuine BMW E46 ZKW Lenses
-Cleared headlights with diffuser retained
-"Color Mod"
-04-06 to 07-08 Sidemarker socket & connector compatibility

Oznium CCFLx4

So if not all, most of the AZ members with halos are running lightwurkz or Umnitza. Both are reputable companies but I decided to go with a more reliable company--Oznium. They have a wide array of led/CCFL products and they are known to last. My front sidemarkers are from Oznium and I have done two sets of oznium front white sidemarkers for members, one of them being BLACKURA_NY.

I researched their angel eye rings, and the only downside is that they appear to be made of glass, which didn't really bug me, since nothing will be exerting pressure or force--it's inside the headlight. The upside, is that they are slightly thicker (thicker rings when lit), and they are more of a complete circle. Instead of a "U" shaped design, they are more closed, making it look more like an "O". The more enclosed they are, the more aggressive, take a look at BMW for example.

Instead of the lazy look, you get the glaring look.

Here is a comparison of the lightwurkz and oznium rings. (I bought both in case the ozniums are too big, will touch up on that) Oznium is on the right.

Another issue was size, I called several buddies and they confirmed that the original halo size was exactly 3 inches. This would fit snug on the inner side of the bezel. The smallest size oznium had was 80mm, which is approximately 4mm wider in diameter but upon close scrutiny they are basically the same size.

I will have a completely separate switch for the angel eyes, on my current set of headlights they were wire to my parking lights. I will use this switch.

On a tangent, I wanted to point out something about the construction of BMW DRL angel eyes.. I can say that Germans know how to do it right, lol. Their angel eye is comprised of plastic, and a bulb. That simple. Here's how it works (I recently purchased a set of 535i angel eyes on the BM just to test fit them but realized there is no way in hell they are fitting inside the 3G TL headlight, even the smaller ring).

The BMW drl halos use a bulb that emits light into a black wire, and at the tip of this wire shines the light into a meticulously made plastic ring with striations.

Here is me simply shining an led flashlight into the tube on top:

Here's how they look lit up, notice the bulb ejecting light into the black wires, and the tip of these are connected to the plastic rings. JUST PLASTIC! Nothing inside; light is just traveling inside it.

Not sure if you guys knew this but I just found out how they worked, lol.

This is why they are so efficient and last a long time... if the bulb goes out, you simply change the bulb, not the rings--the rings are just plastic. The bulb is outside of the headlight so there would be no need to open the headlight. SO SMART!

Anyway, onward..

The "Audi style LED strip".

JnC uses the same company, Oznium, for his led strips but I didn't like the continuous and endless amount of LEDs.. to closely mimic the Audi look, I bought the "Thin LED strips" as they are more spaced out, and the strip itself is black which blends very well (inside or outside the headlight, not sure where I want to mount them yet...) with the headlight color. Only the LEDs themselves are slightly yellow.

I realized that only one strip (1 ft) is too short to extend throughout the headlight, so I bought 3 strips, and planned on using 1.5 ft for each, here is how I extended the strips.. the strips come with 4 pronged connectors:

Oznium placed pre-made marks where you can cut the LED without damaging it.

And because this isn't meant for automobile vehicles, the 12V cable wasn't compatible so I just cut it off, and separate the two wires as such:

So this will run on the bottom of the headlight all the way to the sidemarker, either inside the headlight, or outside, right under the headlight between the bumper, still contemplating where.

Again, I will be using a completely separate switch, same as the halos.

Next up will be the Authentic BMW E46 ZKW lens swap.

I snagged a set on ebay for a very good price through the best offer system and got them for $160 shipped.

They are CRYSTAL CLEAR!

Miscellaneous

I will be removing only the amber parts, no dremeling, nothing. The headlight will be cleared and the diffuser will still be there. I also pulled out the plastic tabs so that there will be a fuzzy blue line above the razor sharp light cut off, otherwise known as the "color mod."

As for the sidemarker socket, the difference in years (04-06 and 07-08) has caused the sidemarker bulb socket size to be different.. the newer years are 1157 and so I bought two of those size sockets from www.acuraoemparts.com and also the plastic connector to go behind it. Now all I need to do is rewire them so they will fit inside the housing.

Wheels
New wheels have arrived at the UPS center near Cornell, will be picking them up tomorrow, the teaser will kill you guys

Here are the lugs that are going on them.

And the BBK to accompany them

So I will keep updating once the headlight work begins, and once the tires are mounted on the wheels, stay tuned!

After all this, I will let the car be for a long long time

where did u get those rotors??? they look so coool
Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
where did u get those rotors??? they look so coool
You could have just quoted the photo, lol.

Those are 2 piece rotora drilled and slotted rotors. go through josh (excelerate) and he can hook you up.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

So an update, decided to put the Audi A6 LED DRL's on hold (they're friggin expensive) and continue with the fiber optic 5-series angel eyes.... that is, IF SOMEONE DECIDES TO BUY MY HEADLIGHTS ALREADY

I need type-s headlights for the full function of the 4 bezels and 4 rings.

Below is a picture of the lighting unit of a 535i, and the angel eye ring (left) that comes with the headlight. On the right, is a sample ring I created in 15 minutes. The only difference is, the 5-series ring has the tube which feeds into two tubes; light output is optimum. The tricky part for me is finding a way to create the same effect, but I obviously run into the problem of finding a way to connect one end of the plastic ring into the merging point.

Here's the 5-series ring lit up; as you can see the light distribution is fairly equal.

Here is the ring I created lit up; the light intensity dies down a bit on the right side of the ring.

My thoughts were to cut off the tip of the 5-series rings and apply them to the rings I made.... OR, to heat the 5-series rings back up and to cut them and decrease the diameter so as to fit the acura TL bezels. Still working on that.....

Here is a picture of the perfect sizing for the ring I made on top of a TL projector.

And of course, I can change out the bulb from halogen to a white LED outside of the headlight But I think I want to keep it halogen so that they have an effect in the daytime. I also plan on making the rings light up in less of a full circle, more like U's to keep an angry and aggressive look. A fuller circle for the HID bezel, and a half circle for the DRL bezel.

This can all begin once I get stock type-s headlights..

Almost there!!!!

Last edited by bforbrian; 02-11-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
too much money for

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice brian cant wait till u finish it
Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I had an original vision of how much to mod my car. I have hit my limit before getting really carried away purely for one reason. When I get my next car, I will take it to the next level.

I love my TL but there is no comparison.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
This world is a better place with minds like yours! Love the mods!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Pro

Wow, how did I miss all this! B, you guys have to let me know when the next photoshoot is because I definately want to get in on it with you and allon. I love all the wheel choices, and the baking boldness.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When is the reveal?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
stop teasing B... hurry up!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Fedex has shipped the quality acrylic rods that are going to be used

2 .250" Diameter Clear Extruded Acrylic Rod x 6ft long
ACREXT.500X.375

1 .500" OD x .375"ID Clear Extruded Acrylic Tube x 6ft long

Stock type-s headlights going on the car tomorrow; I can get started within a week or two
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Start now. No sleep until it's done!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car looked great at the meet yesterday, good to meet you... those wheels are nuts, I love 'em.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Update

The acrylic rods and tubes have arrived; these are the ones I will be using for my project. I can't get started just yet since I still need two more things before I can begin:

1. ZKW lenses (since I left my previous ZKWs in my led headlights which were sold)
2. Amber LEDS (non switchbacks, i'm over them )

Because the diameter of both the rods and tubes weren't to my exact specifications (it's expensive for them to custom create them for you), I will probably apply things around the fiber optic cable to ensure snug fits.

I hope you guys will know what's going on in the pics; I explained it pretty thoroughly in the previous pages.

As for light transmittance, acrylic rods seem to do a good job of passing light through.

Once I find my damn dremel kit (which I lost) I can start heating up the rods into a circle, cutting slits to create the actual eyes themselves (one semi circle for the DRL bezel and one almost-full-circle for the HID bezel), and merging the ends to fit into the tube you see in the pics above. The tube, btw, will only be around half an inch long; the reason why it's so long is that they sell the tube a minimum size of 3 ft I believe? So imagine that tube is very very short; basically the length of the tube you see on the actual 5-series ring above.

Last edited by bforbrian; 03-24-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

The eyes will be shaped very similar to the rear g37 tail light leds.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Brian your mods are sick! Keep it up! I'm excited to see those new headlights
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
AKA WalkerUA6

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
How bout pix of ur orange rims? Something more interesting then headlights stuffed with x-mas tree lights
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you seen what sincitydesigns have done? looks kinda like some of the stuff they are doing now.. if you havent seen what they have done, check them out on youtube..
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
socal WDP

omg this is going to be crazy. cant wait!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

HOKAY

This project has just taken off... thanks to alex (infamouslink) for letting me borrow his 06 headlights, I was able to remove my type-s headlights from my car and work on them.

Here is the overall plan for these headlights.....
  • Authentic ZKW lenses, with color mod. [x]
  • (4) Fiber optic halogen DRL angel eyes. [ ]
  • HID bezel removed, replaced by F.O. ring. [ ]
  • Retain inner bezel, paint black. [ ]
  • Remove inner bezel clear ring. [x]
  • Quad "projectors" (4 lenses) [ ]
  • 9006 HID bulb so as to create quad projectors. [ ]
  • Black out turn signal housing. [x]
  • Retain OEM type-s diffuser with (4) amber pieces wrapped in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. [x]

I have already started; the list with the x's marked are already done.

The acrylic rods will be heated and bent and the eyes will created within a few days.. are you excited?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

how many sets of headlights have you gone through?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Those lights are gonna be off the hook man! Cant wait to see them!!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Brian, the Carbon Fiber inserts look excellent. I should have done it that way on mine.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City. Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
socal WDP

way to stand out man. looks legit already
Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

Reducing the depth and size of the clear ring right behind the DRL bezel.. if the inner circle is reduced enough, a lens can plop right on. I will be dremeling away the excess melted plastic and then smoothening it with sandpaper so as to create a nice planar surface to mount the lens. The bezel will be painted black.

The headlight looks badass already.....

Blacking out the turn signal housing with the clear diffuser really makes a difference... to compensate for the lack of the ability to reflect light, I'll be purchasing v-led's 92 (yes, 92 lol) amber LED tower bulb. (talk about bright!)
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...-p7472055.html

Last edited by bforbrian; 04-10-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
a-mazing. dayum..
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks good Brian, might I suggest you use some real CF veneer instead of the 3M stuff. It's easy to cut using a good pair of scissors, and you could file some of it if needed. I Recently did someones lights and acctually made some new corner pieces out of some thin sheet metal and added some of it. The guy who cleared the headlights first removed them and tossed them. It comes with some 3M adheasive film. And in my opinion looks much better, plus it's real CF. I compared the two.

I got it here http://www.protechcomposite.com/serv...eer/Categories

.5mm veneer crappy iPhone pic

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-11-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jptl04
Looks good Brian, might I suggest you use some real CF veneer instead of the 3M stuff. It's easy to cut using a good pair of scissors, and you could file some of it if needed. I Recently did someones lights and acctually made some new corner pieces out of some thin sheet metal and added some of it. The guy who cleared the headlights first removed them and tossed them. It comes with some 3M adheasive film. And in my opinion looks much better, plus it's real CF. I compared the two.

I got it here http://www.protechcomposite.com/serv...eer/Categories

.5mm veneer crappy iPhone pic
Wow, that looks good. But because my car is black and a lot of the headlight is black, it won't be too noticeable, especially because they're both CF. I don't want to wait around, I WANT EYES ALREADY

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-11-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

Finished blacking/clearing/CF vinyl cornerning a member's headlights today.
Came out fantastic!

Also changed out his corner bulbs to switchback V2 leds with resistors, and changed out his amber led sidemarkers to white
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Safety Car

This project is underway, full speed.... impressed with the way the second lens fits the DRL housing. Now you can see why I had to melt the plastic ring

Remember, the DRL bezel will be black!

Almost ready to create the eyes..
Old 04-11-2010, 12:11 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ cant wait to see them on the car, and lighting up

love those CF inserts where did you get it?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have some of that 3m Di-noc too. When I clear/black out my headlights; can I just cut my amber corner pieces to the size of the type-s stock ambers and then wrap them in the di-noc film and stick them back in? does that area of the headlight get overly warm? I wouldn't want to go through all that and have the 3m film ruin from high temps over time. Cause that looks tight.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
So...
You aren't going to use an actual projector for the DRL?

Hmn, I wonder how the light output will turn out.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eh? spec
I have some of that 3m Di-noc too. When I clear/black out my headlights; can I just cut my amber corner pieces to the size of the type-s stock ambers and then wrap them in the di-noc film and stick them back in? does that area of the headlight get overly warm? I wouldn't want to go through all that and have the 3m film ruin from high temps over time. Cause that looks tight.
Well I mean, it will get as hot as the sun makes it when it hits that corner of the headlight but not to temperatures that will deweave the vinyl or anything.

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
So...
You aren't going to use an actual projector for the DRL?

Hmn, I wonder how the light output will turn out.
Nope, not gonna use an actual projector; too much work and I have too little patience. I will, however, try to match the right optics that is used for the HID projector and lens.

Our lens is plano convex.... perhaps if I use the lensmakers equation from optics I can properly distance the lens and the bulb so as to create an image with clarity

I can even create my own projector by creating two walls spaced out, to create a slit through which the light can pass through (single slit light diffusion).

Just some nerdy ideas
Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

If anything, the light output will be TOO bright since I won't have high and low beam cutoffs (....yet ). Besides, my car is an 05 so they won't be on all the time since they aren't DRL's, they're still "fog lights"
Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Glad I painted the bezel black; did more sanding down of the clear plastic ring to depress the lens more firmly into the bezel.

Quick Reply: My upcoming final projekts...