My upcoming final projekts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
woo looks pretty good id say.

i dont know if i have the guts to open my headlights and hope i get them back together proporly. i did my DA headlights back in the day, didnt go so well
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fck that looks so epic! already looks amazing
Old 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
Nope, not gonna use an actual projector; too much work and I have too little patience. I will, however, try to match the right optics that is used for the HID projector and lens.

Our lens is plano convex.... perhaps if I use the lensmakers equation from optics I can properly distance the lens and the bulb so as to create an image with clarity
I can even create my own projector by creating two walls spaced out, to create a slit through which the light can pass through (single slit light diffusion).
Just some nerdy ideas
Creating your own "psuedo"-projector would probably be a pretty good way to go. Most, if not all, projectors are the same anyway...
Bulb, reflector bowl, cut off shield and lens. Or at least... that's how I see it.

I've messed around with a few fog-light-projectors... You can probably get the same results, if not better, if you do find a good distance of lens to bulb ratio.

If anything, the light output will be TOO bright since I won't have high and low beam cutoffs (....yet ). Besides, my car is an 05 so they won't be on all the time since they aren't DRL's, they're still "fog lights"
Being fog lights would definitely make it more bright, given that they'd also be on at night versus the morning. With it set up right now you pretty much have an aux-high-beam. Shove in a good 4300K HID in there and make 'em suckers tan! hahah.

I've had a similar set up [without a lens/"projector"] with a yellow 9005 bulb and it was bright as hell, trucks would always turn on their 'tailgator-light' and blind the crap out of me back.
I did a half-assed projector-retrofit in the DRL/Aux-Fog and all is better.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Creating your own "psuedo"-projector would probably be a pretty good way to go. Most, if not all, projectors are the same anyway...
Bulb, reflector bowl, cut off shield and lens. Or at least... that's how I see it.

I've messed around with a few fog-light-projectors... You can probably get the same results, if not better, if you do find a good distance of lens to bulb ratio.

Being fog lights would definitely make it more bright, given that they'd also be on at night versus the morning. With it set up right now you pretty much have an aux-high-beam. Shove in a good 4300K HID in there and make 'em suckers tan! hahah.

I've had a similar set up [without a lens/"projector"] with a yellow 9005 bulb and it was bright as hell, trucks would always turn on their 'tailgator-light' and blind the crap out of me back.
I did a half-assed projector-retrofit in the DRL/Aux-Fog and all is better.
A LOT brighter.... the 07-08 type-s headlight was meant for DRL where we have our fogs (i'm sure you already know)

Perhaps if I can find another pair of projectors and grab the cut offs from inside of them I can attach them to the reflector bowl.

I was thinking 4300K too, 6000K for my normal HID bi-xenons, and for fog HID's 4300K, or even 5000K.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Sweet mod, Bri...but honestly, you're joking yourself.

There's NEVER a 'final' project.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

A LOT brighter.... the 07-08 type-s headlight was meant for DRL where we have our fogs (i'm sure you already know)

Perhaps if I can find another pair of projectors and grab the cut offs from inside of them I can attach them to the reflector bowl.

I was thinking 4300K too, 6000K for my normal HID bi-xenons, and for fog HID's 4300K, or even 5000K.
I think Mike has [or maybe had] TL projectors for sale. Not sure if he still has them.
"Shoving" in cut-off shields would be interesting. You could probably make your own as well!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that I'm a second semester senior, I'm taking the minimum # of credits which is 12, and my schedule has allowed me to spend more time on my car. SO, there are a couple of projects that will permit me to "finalize" my car and "be done with it..."

So you guys know me by now, I'm a headlight maniac--along with rockyfeller--and have decided to invest in a brand new set of type s headlights with all internal parts upgraded..

1. Headlights
-Oznium CCFLx4
-Oznium "Thin LED Strips, Audi style"
-Genuine BMW E46 ZKW Lenses
-Cleared headlights with diffuser retained
-"Color Mod"
-04-06 to 07-08 Sidemarker socket & connector compatibility

Oznium CCFLx4

So if not all, most of the AZ members with halos are running lightwurkz or Umnitza. Both are reputable companies but I decided to go with a more reliable company--Oznium. They have a wide array of led/CCFL products and they are known to last. My front sidemarkers are from Oznium and I have done two sets of oznium front white sidemarkers for members, one of them being BLACKURA_NY.

I researched their angel eye rings, and the only downside is that they appear to be made of glass, which didn't really bug me, since nothing will be exerting pressure or force--it's inside the headlight. The upside, is that they are slightly thicker (thicker rings when lit), and they are more of a complete circle. Instead of a "U" shaped design, they are more closed, making it look more like an "O". The more enclosed they are, the more aggressive, take a look at BMW for example.

Instead of the lazy look, you get the glaring look.

Here is a comparison of the lightwurkz and oznium rings. (I bought both in case the ozniums are too big, will touch up on that) Oznium is on the right.

Another issue was size, I called several buddies and they confirmed that the original halo size was exactly 3 inches. This would fit snug on the inner side of the bezel. The smallest size oznium had was 80mm, which is approximately 4mm wider in diameter but upon close scrutiny they are basically the same size.

I will have a completely separate switch for the angel eyes, on my current set of headlights they were wire to my parking lights. I will use this switch.

On a tangent, I wanted to point out something about the construction of BMW DRL angel eyes.. I can say that Germans know how to do it right, lol. Their angel eye is comprised of plastic, and a bulb. That simple. Here's how it works (I recently purchased a set of 535i angel eyes on the BM just to test fit them but realized there is no way in hell they are fitting inside the 3G TL headlight, even the smaller ring).

The BMW drl halos use a bulb that emits light into a black wire, and at the tip of this wire shines the light into a meticulously made plastic ring with striations.

Here is me simply shining an led flashlight into the tube on top:

Here's how they look lit up, notice the bulb ejecting light into the black wires, and the tip of these are connected to the plastic rings. JUST PLASTIC! Nothing inside; light is just traveling inside it.

Not sure if you guys knew this but I just found out how they worked, lol.

This is why they are so efficient and last a long time... if the bulb goes out, you simply change the bulb, not the rings--the rings are just plastic. The bulb is outside of the headlight so there would be no need to open the headlight. SO SMART!

Anyway, onward..

The "Audi style LED strip".

JnC uses the same company, Oznium, for his led strips but I didn't like the continuous and endless amount of LEDs.. to closely mimic the Audi look, I bought the "Thin LED strips" as they are more spaced out, and the strip itself is black which blends very well (inside or outside the headlight, not sure where I want to mount them yet...) with the headlight color. Only the LEDs themselves are slightly yellow.

I realized that only one strip (1 ft) is too short to extend throughout the headlight, so I bought 3 strips, and planned on using 1.5 ft for each, here is how I extended the strips.. the strips come with 4 pronged connectors:

Oznium placed pre-made marks where you can cut the LED without damaging it.

And because this isn't meant for automobile vehicles, the 12V cable wasn't compatible so I just cut it off, and separate the two wires as such:

So this will run on the bottom of the headlight all the way to the sidemarker, either inside the headlight, or outside, right under the headlight between the bumper, still contemplating where.

Again, I will be using a completely separate switch, same as the halos.

Next up will be the Authentic BMW E46 ZKW lens swap.

I snagged a set on ebay for a very good price through the best offer system and got them for $160 shipped.

They are CRYSTAL CLEAR!

Miscellaneous

I will be removing only the amber parts, no dremeling, nothing. The headlight will be cleared and the diffuser will still be there. I also pulled out the plastic tabs so that there will be a fuzzy blue line above the razor sharp light cut off, otherwise known as the "color mod."

As for the sidemarker socket, the difference in years (04-06 and 07-08) has caused the sidemarker bulb socket size to be different.. the newer years are 1157 and so I bought two of those size sockets from www.acuraoemparts.com and also the plastic connector to go behind it. Now all I need to do is rewire them so they will fit inside the housing.

Wheels
New wheels have arrived at the UPS center near Cornell, will be picking them up tomorrow, the teaser will kill you guys

Here are the lugs that are going on them.

And the BBK to accompany them

So I will keep updating once the headlight work begins, and once the tires are mounted on the wheels, stay tuned!

After all this, I will let the car be for a long long time

Wow!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

Made a LOT of progress today... been caught up with school, clearing other members' headlights, and work with clients.... so I barely have time but I got a chance to make the actual angel eye bezel today for the HID. I'll be doing the DRL bezel soon and the passenger's headlight should be finished soon.

Here are some pics. Decided against merging the two ends of the rod, even with the rod heated up to 275 degrees to the point where it's like jello, it is extremely difficult to get them to stay the way you want, especially because it is scalding hot.

I managed to feed the rod through the headlight trim WITHOUT dremeling, melting, or cutting away at it; SLICK!

Light will be entering from one end and the other end will be left open.

No lights on:

Housing with lighting unit wires fed through:

One ring lit up halogen:
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Nice progress! Now get the other side of the ring fired up as well and it's golden!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Dude where do you get all this money to do these mods.

The way your change things up, you gotta have some serious dough.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin401
Dude where do you get all this money to do these mods.

The way your change things up, you gotta have some serious dough.
Was wondering same, I love the creativity. Update? What do u do with all the old rims you have?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Sells them all.

There is almost a sale every month...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by TLin401
Sells them all.

There is almost a sale every month...
I never go to that section. Thanks for the into tho.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Haha, I never have more than two sets at a time.

So, I think I'm gonna have to abort this project.... it is way too difficult to fit everything right when putting all pieces of the headlight together.. still not sure how to get around the tight spaces in the headlight housing. It would require me heating up the ring a billion times.

So I brought up the lighting set up as shown above outside to see exactly how bright they are. They weren't that visible so I decided to do the merging of the tubes to get the full effect of light. It took me about 2 hours to make that 1 ring.

But it barely fits inside the headlight flush.....

Old 04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Have you tried more 'slits' closer to the source of light?
Perhaps it will help with the amount of light that "stays" in the ring. Or was it the opposite?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn... i hope i can do something like that.. i know nothing about car...

anyone knows someone in seattle, washington who knows how to do this type of headlight?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Racer

Any updates?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the difference in light output from the 04-06 fog lights vs the 07-08 DRL?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ A bunch, they only run at like ~75% power.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So they give less output right? What if you put HID in them.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Cablevision Employee

Did u ever finish this?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by robbie82
Did u ever finish this?
Neg, I needed more time, which I didn't have and still don't have

An easy way out, I could just use an led bulb to shine through the custom ring instead of feeding it through fiber optics from the bmw light unit.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Neg, I needed more time, which I didn't have and still don't have

An easy way out, I could just use an led bulb to shine through the custom ring instead of feeding it through fiber optics from the bmw light unit.
That indeed is the easy way out.
It's been done for several years now so it should be easy if you needed any additional info.... but going that route is no fun =p
Old 11-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Racer

Any new updates on making your LEDs bigger and brighter?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
any updates??
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I think this project was abandoned for more than one reason, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Wow what a dig up!

For those interested, my current project is the W212 LED DRL.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
cant wait to see it on the car! reminds me of the newer model benz. Will you be running these as day time running lights?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
^
That's because they are off a new E350.
The following users liked this post:
TWiSDiT (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Twisdit
cant wait to see it on the car! reminds me of the newer model benz. Will you be running these as day time running lights?
Haha, they are OEM E350/550 LED day time running lights.
They will be wired to the windshield wipers so they turn on as soon as the car turns on.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ed99
Paint The Lip Black Gloss!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Haha, they are OEM E350/550 LED day time running lights.
They will be wired to the windshield wipers so they turn on as soon as the car turns on.
Thats gonna be sick! very creative lol
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Can't wait to see these finished B...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
These are going to look great
Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
these will look awesome, waiting on final
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Hey, Brian, going back onto the angel eye mod.
From what I think I remember.. you sold the kit right?

Cause for the past month I've been seeing new angel eye mods that the bimmer folks have started to do.
HID angel-eyes. Yepp. And it's insanely bright during the day and night. [one of my friends told me that the new BMWs either use HIDs or very high powered LEDs]

My friend's 3series for example.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 06-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Hey, Brian, going back onto the angel eye mod.
From what I think I remember.. you sold the kit right?

Cause for the past month I've been seeing new angel eye mods that the bimmer folks have started to do.
HID angel-eyes. Yepp. And it's insanely bright during the day and night. [one of my friends told me that the new BMWs either use HIDs or very high powered LEDs]

I still have the kit.

The newer BMWs have very bright rings; a cree led could even do the trick.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

I still have the kit.

The newer BMWs have very bright rings; a cree led could even do the trick.
My mistake. Don't know why I kept thinking you sold it.

Any thoughts on going back down that lane again?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Between the halos, led strips, and the led fogs, you've effectively incorporated audi/bmw/benz into an acura
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Haha eventually... after my damn mcat (jul 16).
I have absolutely no time to do anything but study 9 hrs a day

Quick Reply: My upcoming final projekts...