CLtotheTL32-My Asparasocks/BS Thread !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
it's illegal here to in NY even the trim plate surrounds are illegal too but they really dont bother you for that but the tinted cover they will even if it's clear you'll snag a ticket.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
In Florida, they can pull you over and supposedly ALL license plate covers are illegal now. I'm guessing it's because of the intersection light tickets they have now...and the pay by plate toll system we've adopted.
I guess it is like window tint, kinda up to the officer that pulls you over.? I have had a tinted/smoked plate covers on all my vehicle's in Fla, for the past 14yrs. All windows (besides windscreen) have been tinted dark as well!

CltotheTL32-Man that really sucks about the wheels! I have had my stockies (original color) scratched all to hell by shop X (FIRESTONE) and they had someone repair to look like new (don't look like new). But when you are Picky/OCD/Anal like myself nothing will fix it, unless you get new or have them repowdercaoted! I am very Happy for you that the shop came through, and you will be getting your wheels redone, that is customer service (which it seems like doesn't exist anymore).

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 03-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I used to think I could get away with it...but my MOM got a fix it ticket in her CRV...so, yeah.

In Florida you USED to be able to use them...but now, because of the tickets they are issuing from red light cams and the sunpass lanes using pay by tag...they will likely eventually tell you to remove them.

PS...I'm super anal...the clear ones turn yellowish within 3 months in Florida sun. YUCK.

Side note: And Mom didn't always drive "mommy" cars...she was my inspiration...bought a 1991 civic si brand new...then replaced it with a 1999 GSR integra.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^I will keep that in mind, especially if I head down in your area!
OT-Rockstar your ride is lookin great!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Officers around here cranky about the plate covers too. I remember my dad got pulled over for one a couple years ago. I think they look great but I'd be nervous about attracting unwanted attention.

And the damn Indiana license plate is configured in such a way that makes it nearly impossible to have a plate frame that doesn't cover up the expiration tags on the top corners or the county name on the bottom. So my plate remains nude.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
this should be your avatar pic

And that's good money right there that the wheel shop is paying for your wheels to get fixed.
Done

Yeah I'm happy with the situation. Of course I'm not happy that the damage happened in the first place but at least it's being taken care of!

Originally Posted by Aman
for plate covers. Rocking the blue tinted ones on my vehikul

Do you find that you license plate lights seem significantly less effective with them on? My plate lights - um, I mean light - don't light up jack.
Yeah the LEDs don't light up the plate for shit when the cover is on. The plate is still visible but it's not as easy to read at night as if the cover was taken off.

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
^yupp they def took care of u! good stuff
Yezzir!

In Florida, they can pull you over and supposedly ALL license plate covers are illegal now. I'm guessing it's because of the intersection light tickets they have now...and the pay by plate toll system we've adopted.

On a side note, highly considering one of these...
http://www.flipaplate.com/carflipper.html
Damn that sucks!

Wow, tolls, I haven't heard anything about those in a while. I was born and raised in Orlando so I remember all of the effing tolls. I4 is a BITCH!

it's illegal here to in NY even the trim plate surrounds are illegal too but they really dont bother you for that but the tinted cover they will even if it's clear you'll snag a ticket.
Damn that's crazy. The ONLY time I've had a problem with the cover is when I got pulled at 2:30 in the morning. I was the only car on the road going 4 over the speed limit and he pulled me just to see what I was doing. Asked where I was coming from, where I was going, blah blah. Then he said "well I pulled you over for the license plate cover. Take that off for me tomorrow, it's illegal". I said okay and drove off. I took it off of my car for 3 days and then put it back on

I had my car inspected a few weeks back with the cover on and it passed

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
I guess it is like window tint, kinda up to the officer that pulls you over.? I have had a tinted/smoked plate covers on all my vehicle's in Fla, for the past 14yrs. All windows (besides windscreen) have been tinted dark as well!

CltotheTL32-Man that really sucks about the wheels! I have had my stockies (original color) scratched all to hell by shop X (FIRESTONE) and they had someone repair to look like new (don't look like new). But when you are Picky/OCD/Anal like myself nothing will fix it, unless you get new or have them repowdercaoted! I am very Happy for you that the shop came through, and you will be getting your wheels redone, that is customer service (which it seems like doesn't exist anymore).
Exactly. I think it's one of those things that won't be the only reason you're getting pulled. If I get pulled for wreckless driving or something like that, he may tack that onto the ticket but I doubt I'll get pulled JUST for the cover.

And thanks! I've been waiting almost two years to have the wheels redone and I want them done right. It sucks waiting even longer to get them on the car but I know I would hate myself if I didn't have them redone.

I used to think I could get away with it...but my MOM got a fix it ticket in her CRV...so, yeah.

In Florida you USED to be able to use them...but now, because of the tickets they are issuing from red light cams and the sunpass lanes using pay by tag...they will likely eventually tell you to remove them.

PS...I'm super anal...the clear ones turn yellowish within 3 months in Florida sun. YUCK.

Side note: And Mom didn't always drive "mommy" cars...she was my inspiration...bought a 1991 civic si brand new...then replaced it with a 1999 GSR integra.
How does your mom go from a Si and GSR to a CRV? Keeping it in the Honda family but damn.

Originally Posted by cjTL
Officers around here cranky about the plate covers too. I remember my dad got pulled over for one a couple years ago. I think they look great but I'd be nervous about attracting unwanted attention.

And the damn Indiana license plate is configured in such a way that makes it nearly impossible to have a plate frame that doesn't cover up the expiration tags on the top corners or the county name on the bottom. So my plate remains nude.
As long as I'm not doing anything stupid, I don't think I'll get pulled for the cover. And if I do, it's not that hard to take it off. I'll take the risk and leave it on there for now.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
2 years and I've had zero problems with my covers. Been pulled over 3 times for other stuff, and they never said anything. Knock on wood. Maybe it's an American thing

So Tyler, what's next?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

2 years and I've had zero problems with my covers. Been pulled over 3 times for other stuff, and they never said anything. Knock on wood. Maybe it's an American thing

So Tyler, what's next?
I think it comes down to what you're getting pulled for and what kind of mood the cop is in. The cop that told me about the plate cover was really cool about it, therefore I agreed to take it off the next day which I did. He didn't say how long it had to stay off of the car for though

Hmmmm what's next? How about putting money into my savings account instead of into my car?

Ideally I would like to work on swapping my parchment interior for ebony. It will be a long and expensive process but if I can find a salvaged TL with ebony interior, maybe I'll try to purchase the big ticket items. I'm never buying another car with tan interior again.

By the end of summer I would like to have a black roof and then I think I'll be done with the outside of the car (lulz yeah right). I would like the ATLP V2 j-pipe and ATLP race pipe on my car by the end of summer as well. The only thing holding me back from buying all of that shit right now is the dreaded 105k service coming up soon. I have 962xx miles on my car as of right now and I'm averaging 500 miles a week. 105k will be here before I know it and I'm thinking about doing a rather large service. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Typical 105k service (timing belt, etc etc)
-3rd and 4th gear pressure switches (I've had them for months but haven't gotten them installed)
-New slotted rotors
-New brake pads
-New stainless steel brake lines
-Lightweight pulley
-Motor Mounts
-other shit...

Stuff that I think is necessary to get easily another 100k out of this car. Is everything there really needed? No, BUT if I'm dropping $1000+ on a service, I might as well get everything else and just get it over and done with. Plus many of the components listed are original to the car (front rotors, brake lines, etc) and I think after 100,000+ miles and 7 years on the car, it's time for them to get the boot. I don't want to cut corners now and regret it later down the road.

Opinions?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^sounds like you've got your head on straight regarding the upcoming maintenance. i'm with you, why do all of these modifications and skimp out on the most important stuff?

get the necessary stuff out of the way and then start having fun again with the car. take care of it and it'll take care of you.

you planning on taking it to the dealer for the 105k?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can do the pads, rotors, and ss line by yourself and save some $$
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Find a local person on the forums that knows someone at a honda/acura dealership...you can get the 105K for a much better price!

PS...my mom thought she was ready for it...but she always misses having a sporty car. She lives at Lowes and is always doing "projects" so the CRV worked out well.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^sounds like you've got your head on straight regarding the upcoming maintenance. i'm with you, why do all of these modifications and skimp out on the most important stuff?

get the necessary stuff out of the way and then start having fun again with the car. take care of it and it'll take care of you.

you planning on taking it to the dealer for the 105k?
Exactly. I've gotta make sure all of the necessary components are doing what they are supposed to be doing and then I can continue to add other shit to the car.

There's no way in hell I'll be taking my car to Leith Acura for the service. Terrible customer service and they aren't very nice to me. Mitzi had her timing belt on her 02 Civic done by a family friend who's been a Honda tech for over 20 years. He did the timing belt, water pump, and all of that shit for $400. I believe that price included the parts and labor.

Originally Posted by Sandals
you can do the pads, rotors, and ss line by yourself and save some $$
Very true. I'll most likely get Roger555 to help me out with that. He's much better at hands on shit like that than I am.

Find a local person on the forums that knows someone at a honda/acura dealership...you can get the 105K for a much better price!

PS...my mom thought she was ready for it...but she always misses having a sporty car. She lives at Lowes and is always doing "projects" so the CRV worked out well.
Read my response to Aaron up ^there^. I haven't decided if I'll be going that route but the money saved from the timing belt service can go towards the brakes and such.

Yeah I can't imagine going from a car like that, or even my TL, to a CRV. I'm sure she loves the extra space but I couldn't do it!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Tyler let me know when your gonna do the timing belt, I'll go with you. Maybe we could get a discount for bringing 2 cars haha they'll make more money! I'll try to find someone in Charlotte or we could use any of the guys you find for the service.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Heeltoe has a really nice brake package for $600-something. SS lines, Motul upgraded fluid, slotted rotors, sport pads for all 4 corners. Just a thought...

Hey Tyler...I'm joining the ATLP crew this weekend! Exhaust got here today and I'm doing the install of the exhaust/jpipe and 3rd/4th pressure switches on Sunday. Can't wait to hear it, especially with the V2!!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by alexSU
Tyler let me know when your gonna do the timing belt, I'll go with you. Maybe we could get a discount for bringing 2 cars haha they'll make more money! I'll try to find someone in Charlotte or we could use any of the guys you find for the service.
Alex.

Maybe so! Check with your Acura dealership there and see how much they want. Leith here will be too damn pricey so I was going to go to my independent shop.

Originally Posted by HOCKEYMAN23
Heeltoe has a really nice brake package for $600-something. SS lines, Motul upgraded fluid, slotted rotors, sport pads for all 4 corners. Just a thought...

Hey Tyler...I'm joining the ATLP crew this weekend! Exhaust got here today and I'm doing the install of the exhaust/jpipe and 3rd/4th pressure switches on Sunday. Can't wait to hear it, especially with the V2!!
Yeah I saw that package. I like!

I bet you can't wait to get the exhaust on! The torque gain was shocking just with the exhaust so I can't imagine what the exhaust and j-pipe will do! Have fun
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 AM
under renovations....

yeah I got that package too. I'm loving how much better the car stops now too. I got the stage 1 package with the EBT300 pads and the RacingBrake slotted/vented rotors.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM

yeah I got that package too. I'm loving how much better the car stops now too. I got the stage 1 package with the EBT300 pads and the RacingBrake slotted/vented rotors.
I'll have to look into those. Thank you sir

A-Spec Wheels Update
I dropped off the wheels/tires at the shop to have them dismounted. Corporate won't pay the shop until the work is complete so I'll be dropping off the wheels at the powdercoater whenever the tires are off.

I should be getting the spacers today or Monday. They took longer to come in than anticipated.

I'm glad I'm not paying out of pocket for this whole ordeal but it's such a headache
Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
omg...more pics...

Don't curb them again.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Dude, the Aspecs look SICK!! Bet you're relieved to get them fixed & on the car. Really like that color.

Wanted to give my take on the exhaust after a week or so of driving...I couldn't be happier with it. Sound, power, looks all what I had hoped for and more. I love how it's stealth with the resonator when I want it to be but can open it up and it's a beast on the highway when I kick it in (60-80mph kick = SWEET). Thanks a lot for your input & vids man, it helped a lot. I only asked myself why I waited so long for it lol. Get the v2 jpipe if you have a chance, you won't regret it. It tucks right into the stock location, no ground clearance issues. Just need to dremel a part of that plastic shield out to get it to fit back in. No biggie. Bottom line...ATLP = WIN!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by cjTL
omg...more pics...

Don't curb them again.
Hey asshole, I didn't curb them

Pics are below

Dude, the Aspecs look SICK!! Bet you're relieved to get them fixed & on the car. Really like that color.

Wanted to give my take on the exhaust after a week or so of driving...I couldn't be happier with it. Sound, power, looks all what I had hoped for and more. I love how it's stealth with the resonator when I want it to be but can open it up and it's a beast on the highway when I kick it in (60-80mph kick = SWEET). Thanks a lot for your input & vids man, it helped a lot. I only asked myself why I waited so long for it lol. Get the v2 jpipe if you have a chance, you won't regret it. It tucks right into the stock location, no ground clearance issues. Just need to dremel a part of that plastic shield out to get it to fit back in. No biggie. Bottom line...ATLP = WIN!
Thanks Zach! Yeah it's a huge relief to get them on the car. It's been a long process.

I'm glad you like the exhaust! I love mine and I don't think I could ever part with it. I can't wait to get the V2 j-pipe but I'm focusing on getting my 105k service done before I pull the trigger on that.

Alright here's the big reveal. 18 x 8.5 Gunmetal A-Specs custom powdercoated with 15mm Ichiba V2 Spacers up front and 20mm in the rear. Enjoy

More pictures to come this weekend!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM
under renovations....

looks good Tyler. Glad everything worked out for you with the rims. Not to jack your thread but I did my install today and the TB coolant bypass.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

You must be too cool for centre caps

Looks great! Love how they match your head and taillights
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow....the new wheels and spacers look GREAT!!! Did you happen to get the fenders rolled also?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HAWT
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Hot shit Tyler! Love how the color came out on the wheels, I think your done modding haha unless you wanna dump it a little more!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Sweeet
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,385 Likes on 4,933 Posts
Wheres the center caps!?

I give you an incomplete.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
perfect fit. I love how they look.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts

looks great man
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Nice, they came out amazing Tyler!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
a LONG overdue congratulations! they look great man...that first pic really shows the stance, those spacers made a world of difference.

keep em' clean!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM

looks good Tyler. Glad everything worked out for you with the rims. Not to jack your thread but I did my install today and the TB coolant bypass.
Thanks man! It's been a long process but I'm very happy with the outcome. I've been wanting to get these redone for almost two years.

Congrats on the install! Can you notice a difference? MY CAI gave my engine a deep throaty sound at around 2k rpm. Great sound.

You must be too cool for centre caps

Looks great! Love how they match your head and taillights
Centercaps are for queers. Just kidding

Look below for an explanation about the centercaps.

And thanks! I wanted a darker set of wheels but I didn't want black because I feel like black hides the design of the wheel. Gunmetal ftw.

Originally Posted by donnieb83
Wow....the new wheels and spacers look GREAT!!! Did you happen to get the fenders rolled also?
Thanks!

The rear fenders were rolled and the fronts were left alone.

Originally Posted by Stepien20
HAWT
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by alexSU
Hot shit Tyler! Love how the color came out on the wheels, I think your done modding haha unless you wanna dump it a little more!
Thanks Alex! I plan on riding these springs until they die so my ride height won't be changing. I've always wanted a set of coils but I may just get a set of Konis or something because I love the way my car sits with the TEINs.

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
Sweeet
Spank you very much

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Wheres the center caps!?

I give you an incomplete.

Explanation of no centercaps is below.

Originally Posted by myron
perfect fit. I love how they look.
Thank you! I'm not looking to be OMGZ SO HELLA FELLA FLUSHHHHHHH, but I didn't want the wheels to be sunk in anymore. I feel like the side of the car flows better with the spacers. Plus it makes the wheels somewhat the center of attention rather than being overlooked.

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl

looks great man
Thank you! I'm glad they finally found their way onto my car!

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Nice, they came out amazing Tyler!
Oscar thanks man! I look forward to meeting up with you and Aaron when yall come down here!

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
a LONG overdue congratulations! they look great man...that first pic really shows the stance, those spacers made a world of difference.

keep em' clean!
Will do Aaron! Thanks man!

About the centercaps
I tried my best to pick a color that matched the Type-S centercaps but sadly they are two totally different colors. The Type-S has more blue in it and the original Gunmetal centercaps are too light. I'm in the process of finding paint which matches the powdercoat color but it's expensive and a pain in the ass. I could have ordered the paint a few weeks back but I didn't because I have to buy a MINIMUM of 6 cans and it would cost over $100. I can't justify that amount of money considering how much I just spent on this whole process. Plus I'm at 97k meaning my 105k service is coming up soon.

I sort of like the no centercap look. It's not for everyone but I like it! It's something different that doesn't cost me anything to do. Free "mods" ftw.

I would rather get the ATLP V2 J-Pipe over some damn paint for the centercaps anyways
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM
under renovations....

I can't really say I notice the cai. Especially with the V3 j-pipe and the atlp quads.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Congrats man. TL looks better than ever!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! Keep up the nice work!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
WDP Type-S sitting on air

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
looks really good man! i like how they match your tail lights.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Lookin good!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
looks nice...i like the gunmetal look better than the other color they were powdercoated anyways
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

for being patient and doing it right. I kinda like the capless look too. It has its own appeal.

Any rubbing? It looks like you're cutting it REAL close.

Quick Reply: CLtotheTL32-My Asparasocks/BS Thread !!