WOT - VSA Bypass switch idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb WOT - VSA Bypass switch idea

Hey guys, I had an idea, so let me know what you think.

The VSA in my car (045AT) seems very sensitive... over sensitive even. It doesn't bother me during daily driving. But when I want to go WOT getting on the highway (got to clean out the engine every now and then *cough* *cough*) it kicks in excessively. This was exaggerated a lot by the UR pulley, and possibly by how I keep my tires inflated (37-38 front 32 back...it's the only way I like driving)

Throttling back 2nd gear repeatedly (video)

The problem is that I forget to turn it back on.. And would rather have the comfort of knowing VSA is enabled when I'm just cruising around.

(case 1) So... I'm assuming that the VSA switch is just a momentary push button with a simple (if enabled, disable... if disabled enable) logic circuit in the BRAIN...

(case 2) But if it's a 2 way push button switch (IE push once holds high, push again, holds low) this will be even easier.

(case 1 solution): Low pro push button installed under the gas pedal connected to a 555 timer with a 4 second delay. Then just wire this to the vsa switch on the dash (in parallel). This way when I push the pedal to the floor, VSA will disable for 4 seconds (by this time I'll be in a gear where it no longer matters) and then re-engage when the 555 rebounds.

(Case 2 solution): ... Just a momentary low pro push under the gas pedal... WOT (VSA shuts off)... Take foot off gas... VSA on.

In both of the above cases I'd have a secondary switch in line to disable the feature (winter driving, *eep!*)

What do you guys think about this idea?

(And also, is there a way to tweak the VSA sensitivity? IE: is it an analog signal so we can just drop in a resistor?)
Old 05-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
try reading your owner manual on the speed operational limits of vsa, and put the tires back down a few psi in front

If you think jumping on it cleans out the engine- thats your first level of misunderstanding the systems as a whole!

Intentionally disabling a safety feature would be bad in general- for just sone of the reasons you already pointed out!!!!

Whats next- how to disable seat belt warning???
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Uh...

1) The "High speed driving" rating for the car is 39 PSI as per Acura (front tires). Mine are 38 after they heat up (36 cold). I keep my back tires lower because otherwise the ride gets too bumpy (and to abide by the factory spec... which is lower in the back than the front for the "high speed driving" suggested tire pressure.) I wasn't sure if this would cause increased sensitivity in VSA, which is why I said "This was exaggerated a lot by the UR pulley, and possibly by how I keep my tires inflated". If you think that this is setting off VSA more, than I'm glad you gave your input. And I did read the owner's manual by the way.

2) Get sarcasm much? "*Cough* *Cough*" I drive spirited from time to time...But felt like kidding around about the justification. Although you do have to gun it for seafoam to work.. I'd imagine more carbon would build up at lower engine speeds due to less getting burnt up... Not saying it's "better" for the engine. And if you had to use some of the Rt. 2 on ramps you'd know that full out WOT is necessary in order to be "safe" =P... Speed match within 5 seconds from a dead stop or suffer a rear end collision, haha.

3) There's a BUTTON right next to your stearing wheel which "intentionally disables the safety feature"... Most people who quarter mile disable this for a good reason... My idea was actually to make disabling it SAFER... Learn to read buddy... I'd still have a switch which disables my mod...which I explained in the post.

I'm hoping that you just didn't understand what my plan was... The plan was to install an additional "disable VSA switch" which ONLY disables it under completely open throttle.. IE pedal to the floor. And only disable it for approximately 4 seconds. That way I could keep the VSA on when I'm driving around and accelerating normally.. But get the maximum out of my car whenever I go WOT. I don't see what the problem is here.. considering I drive maybe 65-70 miles a day and go WOT maybe once or twice... And only getting on the highway. I don't even do 10 over, I just have a hell of a lot of fun getting there =P.

To be honest man, maybe you're having a bad day... But that was a mean response. The question was about the potential electrical issues I'd have with this mod, not the morality and safety of altering my VSA's operation slightly.

What's next? People putting 20 inch rims on their car and deleting the third cat! Insanity!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Wait---I thought people already do put 20 inch rims and delete their 3rd cats.....
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I having a retard moment? All I see is the Check Engine light in the video, not VSA?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Advanced

The CEL was a false error code. Took it to the dealership got the program updated... Now it's gone. The video was to show the down throttling early on where it appears to proceed through 2nd gear in three steps.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Instructor

I think it sounds like a good idea, but is it really okay for VSA to coming on and off as frequent as it would? I know your saying that it would only disable when your WOT, but for some people that is a lot of the time....i think there might be an issue with VSA going on and off, but this is also coming from a person that doesnt know that much....i like where your going with this, way to think outside of the box
Old 05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
If the VSA kicks in, the engine cuts the throttle output by noticeable amount. In addition, whenver the VSA kicks in, the exclamation mark flashes in your left gauge.

In your video, from looking at your RPM gauge, the VSA doesn't seem like it's working at any point.

Is it that difficult to reach to that little button to turn it on and off?

And, UR pulley doesn't free up that much of hp.. I had it for 3 years in my TL. For 3 years with my TL, I've went WOT almost twice everyday with no problem.

Sorry, felt like being a dick today.

I would recommend you to change back your tire inflation rate to normal.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Well I can agree with the VSA being PITA sometimes. Especially when I have to merge into moving traffic from a stand-still or go WOT for any reason. It's like hitting some sort of fuel cut and/or it bogs down. I think what contributes to that is being at 6MT and my mods (don't think 5AT have this problem). I just shut it off when I know I'm going to do some spirited driving or really need the power. Like I said, I forget sometimes though. I hope this works out for you.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced

VSA doesn't necessarily turn on the light if it's doing something...Only if the tires are losing traction. Example: In first and second gear VSA cuts the throttle by 20% (Below a certain RPM). In the video my foot's on the floor and you can see the RPM's stepping up, pausing at 1.5k and 2.5k rpm's a little. (1 sec and 2 secs in) This doesn't occur when VSA is off.

I also know for a fact that VSA works differently on different year TL's. On an 04 (like mine) at times it feels unnecessarily restrictive.