Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awsome, thanks alot!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by nazTL
so can someone please just give me the link where I can buy the resonator and tell me what size to get and from which company (magnaflow or dynomax)? Thanks alot!
Here is some related reading material. The various resonators are discussed in-depth in the link below

The Drone is unreal! Help! (click here)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I've read about 60 posts and my mind is all over the place. I have a 05 TL and I want it to sound louder and deeper, like a TL should sound. I've read that people have replaced the mid-muffler with a straight pipe and kept the stock resonator, giving a nice sound for a cheap price. I've also read people who have replaced the stock resonator with a magnaflow/dynomax resonator to give a louder, deeper sound. I definately wanna replace the mid muffler with a straight pipe and replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow or dynomax resonator. I don't know much about exhausts, so can someone please just give me the link where I can buy the resonator and tell me what size to get and from which company (magnaflow or dynomax)? Thanks alot!
since you don't care about the performance aspect of an exhaust, just go for the mid-muffler delete bud. save yourself the risk of a potentially "droney" sounding exhaust and stay with the oem resonator. plus i've heard the differences between the mid-muffler delete and the mid-muffler delete + resonator replacement are so marginal it's not worth it. most people who have done the stage 2 or 3 mod are happy bc yes, it is a bit louder and deeper. but any louder or deeper, than the stage 1? some argue not.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

yeah i think i'm gonna do the mid muffler delete first, see how it sounds, and if I think i'd like it a bit louder do the dynomax resonator
Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor

yeah i think i'm gonna do the mid muffler delete first, see how it sounds, and if I think i'd like it a bit louder do the dynomax resonator
there you go . that was my initial thought as well so i went that route. however i've never swapped resonators b/c i just don't think it's gonna be worth the money and effort. enjoy your stage 1 and share you thoughts once you go through with it...
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving the other day and there was a 3g TL in front of me making a right turn. As he was making a right turn and speeding up a bit to catch up with the flow of traffic, I hear that nice G35 sound that everyone is talking on this thread coming from that TL. It was not loud at all, bout loud enough to notice that distinctive sound. Just wondering what stage is that if that is possible to determine? All my windows were up and radio was off.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tls08
I was driving the other day and there was a 3g TL in front of me making a right turn. As he was making a right turn and speeding up a bit to catch up with the flow of traffic, I hear that nice G35 sound that everyone is talking on this thread coming from that TL. It was not loud at all, bout loud enough to notice that distinctive sound. Just wondering what stage is that if that is possible to determine? All my windows were up and radio was off.
I haven't heard the other stages (other than on youtube), but it sounds like the stage 3 mod that I elected to go with. The note is so perfect that I refuse to even consider any aftermarket performance exhaust improvement in fear of altering the sound that it produces. It matches the character of the car to a "T".
Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced

please correct me if i am wrong, stage 1 is removing the mid muffler, stage 3 is removing the mid muffler and replacing the resonator with an after market resonator. what is stage 2?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by tls08
please correct me if i am wrong, stage 1 is removing the mid muffler, stage 3 is removing the mid muffler and replacing the resonator with an after market resonator. what is stage 2?
Ha! Good question. You'd have to go back toward the beginning of the thread and read it again. Perhaps it was just the removal of the resonator but retaining the mid-muffler?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
Ha! Good question. You'd have to go back toward the beginning of the thread and read it again. Perhaps it was just the removal of the resonator but retaining the mid-muffler?
no, stage 2 is with a magnaflow resonator and stage 3 is with a dynomax
Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by Freshjive360
no, stage 2 is with a magnaflow resonator and stage 3 is with a dynomax
Aye!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

sounds awful. i paid to get it cut out. and then i paid more to get it welded back in 3 days later. cut out the mid muffler for more aggressive sound
Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by malaka_tl
sounds awful. i paid to get it cut out. and then i paid more to get it welded back in 3 days later. cut out the mid muffler for more aggressive sound
What exactly did you do? I hope u didn't remove the resonator out completely. I would tend to agree with you if that was the case.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

^ +2, yea what did you do. I cut the MM only and it sounds really subtle. From what I was reading on this whole thread, if you cut out the resonator and the mid-muffler it would sound awful. Do tell we want to know.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
i just did stage 1 over the weekend... Just the MM delete. I didn't notice much of a difference in sound at first, but it has gotten a little louder over the past few days. Still a very subtle change but im very happy with the end result! Especially for 20 minutes of my time and $30!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

just read the hole thread and am going to add the dynamax 24215 to my exhuast.I already have rv6 j pipe and race pipe and mm delete.The resonator should give it just the right tone.Great thread.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Advanced

just went to get my mid muffler deleted and i like the results like the tone
Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Racer

I haven't heard the other stages (other than on youtube), but it sounds like the stage 3 mod that I elected to go with. The note is so perfect that I refuse to even consider any aftermarket performance exhaust improvement in fear of altering the sound that it produces. It matches the character of the car to a "T".
Which resonator do you have?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by gungrave
Which resonator do you have?
It was the Dynomax Resonator WLK-24215. Looks like this, and I followed the Stage 3 description exactly how it is noted here in this post...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=531

Name:  Dynomax.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.2 KB
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i just did the stage 3 modification yesterday. total cost was $90, $40 for the dynomax 24215 and $50 for the midmuffler delete, straight pipe install and resonator install. It sounds like a g35 at around 3k rpm but during regular street driving at around 2k rpm, there is barely any sound. keep in mind is on at the 5at. i'm hoping that it gets a bit louder over the coming days as I probably haven't given it enough time for it to break in.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
that ONE RED tl

Originally Posted by gotkilled
i just did the stage 3 modification yesterday. total cost was $90, $40 for the dynomax 24215 and $50 for the midmuffler delete, straight pipe install and resonator install. It sounds like a g35 at around 3k rpm but during regular street driving at around 2k rpm, there is barely any sound. keep in mind is on at the 5at. i'm hoping that it gets a bit louder over the coming days as I probably haven't given it enough time for it to break in.
Mine is on a 5at also but mine seems to have that nice sound over a wider rpm range ~2k-3.5k.

I like that it sounds really stock when just maintaining a certain speed. Also so far I haven't heard any change in tone since installed about 2.5 months ago.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Instructor

The nice thing about this mod is when you are going 65 to 85 mph and under 2500 rpm the cabin sound is not effected.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
8th Gear

Question Warranty Affected?

I read through A LOT of pages of this 41 page thread and I had trouble finding out if the mid muffler delete affects your warranty at all?

I'm not really sure why it would... but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has discovered the answer.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
.. unless your gullible.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by scottll31
I read through A LOT of pages of this 41 page thread and I had trouble finding out if the mid muffler delete affects your warranty at all?

I'm not really sure why it would... but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has discovered the answer.
Perhaps your exhaust from the cats back might not be covered due to this mod? Not quite sure. Unfortunately, once you start doing anything out of the ordinary to your car (i.e., not "OEM"), it can give the warranty company a reason to not cover something if it fails, especially if your mod can even remotely be the reason why another part fails. I can think of several things on my extended warranty that I voided just by dropping my car with aftermarket springs. I'm only holding onto it because of the known reliability issues of the 5AT tranny.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
8th Gear

Perhaps your exhaust from the cats back might not be covered due to this mod? Not quite sure. Unfortunately, once you start doing anything out of the ordinary to your car (i.e., not "OEM"), it can give the warranty company a reason to not cover something if it fails, especially if your mod can even remotely be the reason why another part fails. I can think of several things on my extended warranty that I voided just by dropping my car with aftermarket springs. I'm only holding onto it because of the known reliability issues of the 5AT tranny.

Well my warranty is up next year anyway. Maybe I'll just wait until then. But I like the idea of such a simple mod, for a mild change in the exhaust note. I do NOT want drone at highway speeds.

I bought the car used with tv's in the headrests. The idiots who installed everything did a poor job of pulling trim pieces, seat backs, etc. I had to pay for all the parts to get things back to non-rattling status. "Not under warranty" is not what I like to hear.

Mods always cost more than originally planned.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Moding time

where can you buy a 2.5" straight pipe? at the muffler shop? let me know. thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
6th Gear

I just had the resonator and the mid muffler removed and it sounds ok. The muffler shop just cut them both out and coonected the two ends. I sounds kinda rattley when ur taking off in the low rpms. I didn't tell my fiance that that I had removed them and ran a staight pipe, so when she drove the tl today she told me that the car sounded like something was wrong! lol!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
6th Gear

I removed the resonator and the mid muffler and said that it sounded tingy or rattley but, come to find out I had a leak right where the guys welded the new pipe. Right under the aluminum heat sheid which was causing the rattle. Now it sounds great!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

so, i just got done reading this thread, and one variable that no one really speaks of is in "Stage 3", i've seen people cut the entire mid muff to resonator section completely off and replacing with the dynomax resonator and 2.5 straight pipe. and i've seen people just cut the mid muff and resonator sections out individually with the stock piping still in between them.

my question is, does that little section in between make a huge difference in sound? to me i think so, but im not sure. and i've heard two different responses from those who have done stage 3... either you hate it or love it. mainly those loving it haha. but just wanted to hear from those who love the sound and the sound not being to raspy.

did you remove the entire section or did you did they remove individual sections and replace? thanks.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
so, i just got done reading this thread, and one variable that no one really speaks of is in "Stage 3", i've seen people cut the entire mid muff to resonator section completely off and replacing with the dynomax resonator and 2.5 straight pipe. and i've seen people just cut the mid muff and resonator sections out individually with the stock piping still in between them.

my question is, does that little section in between make a huge difference in sound? to me i think so, but im not sure. and i've heard two different responses from those who have done stage 3... either you hate it or love it. mainly those loving it haha. but just wanted to hear from those who love the sound and the sound not being to raspy.

did you remove the entire section or did you did they remove individual sections and replace? thanks.

I had this done yesterday (just the mid muffler delete). And when they jacked my car up on the stand i watched the entire thing being done....at first i looked and saw the tiny little mid muffler (the smaller square looking resonator towards the back of the exhaust) and thought to myself....this thing is only 12 inches approx in length...can it really make a difference if removed??? So I had him cut just that part out and do the stage 1. Believe it or not, it does make a difference from the outside of the car. I would say that the sound is probably only 20% louder than stock at best. It is VERY subtle, but noticable. Again this is probably the way the car should have sounded from the factory. Still sounds stock, but closer to a G35 but NOT as loud. From inside the cabin, you can't even notice that anything was done (which is nice). You will notice though closer to the lower RPMs because you know your car. Once the RPM's get higher all you hear is your engine/intake.

For those who are looking for a result louder than this above, you would have to do either the magnaflow resonator replace (stage 2) or dynamax resonator replace (stage 3). I'm considering doing this because i wanted a more prominent difference, but not obtrusive which i heard based on other opinions - stage 2 or 3 will be the next step to a slightly louder exhaust sounding still like a G35 growl/rumble.

HOWEVER
-those of you thinking about cutting out BOTH COMPLETELY and doing a STRAIGHT PIPE all the way though......Cutting out the larger resonator completely and doing a straight pipe, in my opinion makes the car sound raspy and like your exhaust rattles. So if you are looking for this sound, this is what you would want to do.

Sorry to be long, but this thread is 40+ pages and in order for you to get this info, you would have to read through the entire thing like i did

For what it's worth, Everyone here with a stock exhaust SHOULD do the mid muffler delete in my opinion....because this is the way the car should sound from the factory (like the G35 but quieter). It's the best bang for your buck mod that you can ever do to this car.

On a side note, that mid muffler......that sucker weighs about 20 -25 pounds!!!! I kid you not...after they cut it out....pick it up (once it cools )....you've just shaved that weight from the car. (My sub box makes up the difference though).

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Kawika; 03-06-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

thanks for the info, but it didnt really answer my question, and you in fact should wait for an answer as well since you already did the mid muffler delete.

my basic question is, did you keep the stock piping between the mid muffler and stock resonator, or did you completely cut out stock resonator and mid muffler including everything inbetween and replace that foot or so after the aftermarket resonator with 2.5 inch straight piping to connect to the 2.25 piece of piping? I want to hear from those that have a really nice deep tone/growl with no rasp because i think that about foot of extra 2.5 inch piping for those that cut the entire section out reall makes a difference in note. on the raspy side of things i think.

kawika, the reason why i say you should pay attention on which one to do, is because all you did was mid muffler delete already. now if you wanna remove the resonator, i think more than likely the guys at the shop are just going to cut out your stock one and just simply replace it with the aftermarket and keep the oem piping in between which i think makes a difference in tone. im guessing. thats why im asking lol

correct me if i'm wrong?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

to give a little bit more of about what im saying:

Name:  Stage2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  84.9 KB

as the picture shows its:

aftermarket resonator -> oem piping -> not sure what size straight pipe -> oem piping to back of exhaust.

now what im asking is, i've seen people just go Aftermarket resonator -> straight piping -> oem piping to back of exhaust.

question is does that extra length of straight piping make a difference in tone quality? i would imagine it makes the car a bit louder and more growl but i'm not sure.

so asking anyone that did the setup with more straight piping, does it sound more raspy or is the growl just even louder?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:54 PM
that ONE RED tl

Mine is Dynomax > straight piping > stock piping, and no raspiness here.. just a great exhaust note.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

nice, what size straight piping? i tihnk i wanna 2.5 myself hopefully it will be loud and agressive enough without any rasp
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
that ONE RED tl

I believe its 2.5" with the 2.5" resonator.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

does it look like that first pic i posted? cuz to me that pic doesnt look like 2.5 piping from the outside... the stock pipes look bigger lol
Old 03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Advanced

I see what you mean. Yeah i would imagine that regardless if it's oem or aftermarket piping, as long as the diameters are the same, it will not have an impact on the exhaust tone. Aluminum vs stainless in same diameter and thickness shouldn't affect the tone from that small of an area because from the mid delete back, it's all OEM stainless as well. I would think that the Magnaflow or Dynamax would affefct the tone moreso depending on which type you go with.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

true, im pretty sure im going with cutting out the entire section cuz that alone will be easier to revert back to stock in the future. then im going to do dynomax resonator to 2.5 straight pipe to oem pipe.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Pro

You should just do a turn down after the resonator, that would sound cool.

Quick Reply: Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)