Racing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront
Hey IHC, (I'm sorry for the hi-jack guys), what are your thoughts on me switching my engine oil to synthetic at 62k miles? Worth it? Not worth it? Pros? Cons? (J30A5 engine)

Thanks. Again sorry for the hijack
I'm not IHC but short n sweet answer WORTH IT!!!

I only use synthetic on only all my cars I have ever owned and no problems and better life for the motor...

Quick update on my 9quarts of Redline lightweight.....roughly 3,300miles since I did D&R's and tranny is shifting amazing....as you can see I have alot of miles as I went on vacation and drove from Boston to Florida(the ultimate test IMO). I started with 31degrees and shifts felt firm and crisp...also first few shifts were really loud but then it went away and never returned....go to florida and drove in weather temps of mid 90's and also felt amazing, very smooth shifting when just cruising and firm and crisp and wot......

all in all I would highly recommend this to all TL owners for sure!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
I'm not IHC but short n sweet answer WORTH IT!!!

I only use synthetic on only all my cars I have ever owned and no problems and better life for the motor...

Quick update on my 9quarts of Redline lightweight.....roughly 3,300miles since I did D&R's and tranny is shifting amazing....as you can see I have alot of miles as I went on vacation and drove from Boston to Florida(the ultimate test IMO). I started with 31degrees and shifts felt firm and crisp...also first few shifts were really loud but then it went away and never returned....go to florida and drove in weather temps of mid 90's and also felt amazing, very smooth shifting when just cruising and firm and crisp and wot......

all in all I would highly recommend this to all TL owners for sure!!!
thanks for the feedback. Where the synthetic engine oil is concerned, should I stick with the same viscosity as oem dino oil (5W-20)?

Last edited by FollowingNFront; 04-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
thanks for the feedback. Where the synthetic engine oil is concerned, should I stick with the same viscosity as oem dino oil (5W-20)?
oil cap on my 3g tl says 5w-20 but i'm running 5w-30 mobil 1 extended performance with no problems at all.

alot of people run diff types of oil other than the factory 5w-20

if it matters, i live in texas
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I would only run a 5w-20 if you live in an extremely cold area. I've run a straight 30, 10w-30, and 5w-30.

The J32 spec'd a 5w-30 until the new CAFE standards required them to run a 5w-20 for the .001mpg increase in '04. I've read the papers on this and it states that they must print 5w-20 on th cap and in the owner's manual to comply. Nothing about the engine changed, just the dumb government agencies that can't see past their own noses. It's funny how most of the cars that spec 5w-20 over here spec a 30 or 40wt in other parts of the world where CAFE doesn't exist.

I would run a 30wt. We even have a couple members running a 0w-40 in the TL.

You can switch to a synthetic any time. If you want the largest benefit, run a real synthetic like Redline or Motul. Most "full synthetics" are actually highly refined dino oils. I'm not saying you should switch, it's not necessary for the TL but it can give you a little extra insurance and it will keep everything cleaner for the long haul.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You can switch to a synthetic any time. If you want the largest benefit, run a real synthetic like Redline or Motul. Most "full synthetics" are actually highly refined dino oils. I'm not saying you should switch, it's not necessary for the TL but it can give you a little extra insurance and it will keep everything cleaner for the long haul.
So are you saying full synthetic oils like Valvaline, Mobile, etc. are not really full synthetic??? That's a rip off..

Does anyone use the Lucas oil stabilizer when they do oil change? worth it??
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by umakemekissu
So are you saying full synthetic oils like Valvaline, Mobile, etc. are not really full synthetic??? That's a rip off..

Does anyone use the Lucas oil stabilizer when they do oil change? worth it??
Legally they can advertise a group 3 oil as a full synthetic. It's a great oil, a highly refined dino oil. Nothing wrong with the oil itself but I won't use it because of the shady advertising. Mobil sued Castrol for the same thing and when they lost, they did the same thing. Kept prices the same and went from a true group IV synthetic to a cheaper grp III. Some Mobil One produces are a true synthetic. Their EP line an the 0w-40 are synthetics.

It sucks for the "real" synthetics because the average consumer doesn't know any better. How many people would pay almost the same price for Mobil One if they knew it wasn't synthetic and Redline was.

Lucas is a big blob of viscosity index improvers. One of the advantages of a good synthetic is it uses less of these. The less the better and you definitely don't want to dump a big bottle of it in the engine. I know I sound like a salesman but if you want the best in nearly every category whether it's cleaning, HTHS, moly, ZDDP, or cold temp pumpability it's Redline.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Instructor

I would only run a 5w-20 if you live in an extremely cold area. I've run a straight 30, 10w-30, and 5w-30.

The J32 spec'd a 5w-30 until the new CAFE standards required them to run a 5w-20 for the .001mpg increase in '04. I've read the papers on this and it states that they must print 5w-20 on th cap and in the owner's manual to comply. Nothing about the engine changed, just the dumb government agencies that can't see past their own noses. It's funny how most of the cars that spec 5w-20 over here spec a 30 or 40wt in other parts of the world where CAFE doesn't exist.

Thanks for the info IHC! I'm assuming everything you said here also pertains to my 06 Accord with the J30 right? (I don't have a TL lol)

Based on what you are saying here, I should be on the lookout for Redline Synthetic 5w-30 engine oil IF I want to switch to synthetic right?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lucas is a big blob of viscosity index improvers. One of the advantages of a good synthetic is it uses less of these. The less the better and you definitely don't want to dump a big bottle of it in the engine. I know I sound like a salesman but if you want the best in nearly every category whether it's cleaning, HTHS, moly, ZDDP, or cold temp pumpability it's Redline.
Shjt I just changed my oil 200 miles ago and yes.... I did dumped a whole bottle of Lucas into my engine.. my uncle is an selfemployed mechanic and he told me nothing but pros about the Lucas so I followed his advice Now if I use Redline oil, should I still use a little bit of Lucas or absolutely zero!!

Redline from now on Thanks IHC, you dont sound like a saleman you're heck lot better than them lol
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced

I believe I read somewhere that you wrote that you would only recommend 5w30 to a user that does long trips, driving for about 15 minutes. That if there is someone who does quick trips they should stay on the 5w20. Is that still valid? I'm not even sure if I should run 5w30 because I make a lot of 5-10 minute trips.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I just want to add a little info, and again this is my experience and others may vary, I've started a thread on this and I hate cars was more than helpful but I would like to let others know. After replacing the pressure switches and doing a 3x3 I noticed even when warm the transmission will shift abruptly, but not a huge noticeable difference but still noticeable. Like it lunges forward a little bit then shifts into the next gear, this is very faint but when you pay attention on a straight road that's perfect you can feel it, this is due to the racing ATF not having friction modifiers so the clutch packs grab right away preventing wear which is a good thing, but you do loose some luxury of smooth shifting when switching to this fluid. Then again my mounts could be screwed but I really doubt it as I feel no vibrations from anything at all, maybe a little at start up faintly due to the ULEV.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Da Answer
I believe I read somewhere that you wrote that you would only recommend 5w30 to a user that does long trips, driving for about 15 minutes. That if there is someone who does quick trips they should stay on the 5w20. Is that still valid? I'm not even sure if I should run 5w30 because I make a lot of 5-10 minute trips.
Close. I would only recommend a 5w or 0w-20 if you do mostly short trips. The warm up process is the only area this thinner oil has value. A 5w-30 will do just fine even for short trip use. I drive my car 1.5 miles each way per day and I use 5w-30. This engine was designed for 5w-30 but CAFE pushed 5w-20 on Honda and others. One well respected member stated that oil pressure is scary low at hot idle on the J32 if you put a gauge on it. Like I've said before I've used a 0w-20 in my car but I was literally driving 0.5miles to work and the only reason I didn't walk was it was nearly 0F.
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
I just want to add a little info, and again this is my experience and others may vary, I've started a thread on this and I hate cars was more than helpful but I would like to let others know. After replacing the pressure switches and doing a 3x3 I noticed even when warm the transmission will shift abruptly, but not a huge noticeable difference but still noticeable. Like it lunges forward a little bit then shifts into the next gear, this is very faint but when you pay attention on a straight road that's perfect you can feel it, this is due to the racing ATF not having friction modifiers so the clutch packs grab right away preventing wear which is a good thing, but you do loose some luxury of smooth shifting when switching to this fluid. Then again my mounts could be screwed but I really doubt it as I feel no vibrations from anything at all, maybe a little at start up faintly due to the ULEV.
Could be mounts. On my car you can only feel the shifts at full throttle. If you couldn't hear the engine you wouldn't know it shifted yet it shifts very quick.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced

I hate cars, Thank you for the clarification!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Racer

I Hate Cars, this might be a little bit weird but I was checking the fluid after I shut the car off and it was on the bottom hole on the the dip stick despite teh fact that I put in an extra qt today. Looked at the switches and underneath the car, no drip. any ideas?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
anyone hear about total performance oil? The guy who does all my install uses that for oil changes and I am most probably switching to it. My car just threw up the A3 maintenance code which i believe means an ATF change is needed. I just hit 60k miles. Everything on my car has been handled by the dealer up until now. I plan on going with red line racing ATF and total performance oil. Any reason why i should not make the switch? Also I will be doing the 3x3 in one day...I will take the car off the lift after the first 3 and drive it around to make sure i get through all the gears....I will then do the next 3 and drive it around through the gears again and then the last one. I see many people waiting a week or so in between but I do not have that kind of time with the lift. Is there any problem if I do it the way I just described?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I would like to thank IHC for providing information when I didn't know the answer. I switched out the pressure switches and switch to Redline Racing ATF fluid. I don't regret doing this at all so my car shifts smoothly. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Racer

I hate cars can you please verify this, after reading a thread someone stated that the 3x3 drain actually drains out about 3.2qt per drain so in turn that looses .6 of a quart, maybe that's the problem? If it's been sitting longer while draining maybe more came out and I should add more on top of my 1 quart i added already?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
a drain actually drains out about 3.2qt per drain so in turn that looses .6 of a quart if doing a 3x3.
No. It is not cumulative. True, a drain might drain out 3.2 quarts. But you can Not add that 0.2 qt by 3 times.

Each drain is like starting at square One again. That is ---

FIRST DRAIN
1) Drain out maybe 3.2 qts.
2) Add 3 new qts.
3) Check level. Might be 0.2 qt low (IF you can detect that on the stick).

SECOND DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.
3) Check level. Might be 0.2 qt low (IF you can detect that on the stick). It will not be 0.4 qts low.

THIRD DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.
3) Check level. Might be 0.2 qt low (IF you can detect that on the stick). It will not be 0.6 qts low.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
No. It is not cumulative. True, a drain might drain out 3.2 quarts. But you can Not add that 0.2 qt by 3 times.

FIRST DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.

SECOND DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.
3) Check level. Might be 0.2 qt low (IF you can detect that on the stick). It will not be 0.4 qts low.

THIRD DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.
3) Check level. Might be 0.2 qt low (IF you can detect that on the stick). It will not be 0.6 qts low.
Can you explain this further? I don't see your reasoning?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate

FIRST DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.

SECOND DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.

THIRD DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.
Huh? But you just drained 9.6 quarts total and added 9.0 quarts total. What am I missing?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

It will drain out the 3.2 qts provided the trans was previously full.

If the trans is 0.2 qts low before the drain, only 3.0 qts will drain out.

You are draining out from the drain pan. The remaining fluid is trapped within the internals of the trans.

The trans hold 7.4 qts. Of that, 4.2 qts is trapped within the trans. So no matter what, you will always be starting from that 4.2 qts. Think of this trapped fluid as an "equalizer". No matter how full or low (within reason of course) the fluid was before the drain, you can always rely on adding just 3 qts and have it be reasonably full.

4.2 qts (every time) + 3.0 qts = 7.2 qts (every time)

Last edited by Inaccurate; 04-11-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jhumbo
Huh? But you just drained 9.6 quarts total and added 9.0 quarts total. What am I missing?
I think what he's saying is that you may or may not even notice it on the stick. So it may or may not be .2 qt short on any of the fills. Check the stick after each drain and fill and make sure it's between the dots...if it's at the lower end and you would feel better having it higher then add more.

Edit: Or what he said above.lol

Last edited by sddale; 04-11-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

EDIT (in blue color)

FIRST DRAIN
2) Add 3 new qts.

SECOND DRAIN
1) Drain out 3.0 qts. (because it was 0.2 low from previous fill)
2) Add 3 new qts.

THIRD DRAIN
1) Drain out 3.0 qts. (because it was 0.2 low from previous fill)
2) Add 3 new qts.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks; got it!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Yeah you had me confused for a sec. I get it now too.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Racer

Ok, I did the 3x3 and noticed the other day that the fluid level was below or on the lowest hole (two on dip stick) so I was ok maybe this is why I feel the bump at the beggining of the shift, so I went and dumped another quart in there and a day later it's still at that hole, no leaks, any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Racer

I might just do another 1x1 making it a total of 4x3 just to make sure and this time put in 3 1/2 qts?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Team Owner

Sounds like you were very low. Always think of the factory spec as a rough guideline. You still have to check the level after you've started it and shifted through the gears.

The dipstick might not be able to lower than the very bottom. It might sit in a puddle of fluid. If it registered at all and you added a quart it would be at or past the full mark.

Sounds like the converter is draining back. I would check the level as soon as you shut the engine off or it might register fuller than it really is.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Racer

Checked the fluid again after the drive, it's still at the bottom hole mark. It's weird because when I did the 3x3 I know I put in 3 quarts and that was last week, yesterday I put in 1 quart so 4 quarts total. I just bought anoter 4 quarts and will do another drain to see what happens. As for your suggestion on another thread I might cough up the money to buy all motor mounts and transmission mount to see if that's the problem. Like I said I feel the begging of the shift, one solid grab like your going over a small bump, it's faint but annoying when your used to the z1 fluid cause it was smooth
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

I would get the level issues straightened out first. Sounds like you were extremely low. Are you sure you refilled it the last time? It might have been barely getting by on the fluid left in the converter. There's just no other way you can add that much fluid and have it still low. I have a feeling it will be fine once the level is right.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

+1 on what IHC said....also FYI I ran Mobil1 synthetic for 3 reasons....1. I take short trips often most of time actually. 2.I love in the Northeast and 3rd. I get it at a discounted price which is main reason, other then that I would recommend 5w-30 or 10w-30 to anyone else asking me personally...

To MarineDelta just wondering if you check both sides of the dipstick, because one thing I have noticed with Redline vs the Z1 since redline is thinner it doesnt grab and show as much as the Z1 would on the dipstick, just a thought....When I check mine sometimes one side is clear and other side on the ends it shows the level where it is @!!! Good luck and keep us informed on what the result of that ends up being

+1 on that....FYI I run 5w-20 mobil1 synthethic with no issues, but I also do it cuz 1>I take alot of short trips 2>I live in the northeast which can get very cold and 3> the real main reason the dealer I go to a get a super cheap discount and they only sell the 5w-20 synthetic the one they use in the RDX turbo cars, so I just go with it since its so cheap....but personally if I was recommend oil to someone I would say 5w-30 or 10w-30....another brand I would recommend beside Redline is Royal Purple, used it often and also used it in my manual trans in my old integra i owned before, never had issue with it either...I know alot of ppl don't like them because you can now grab them at walmart and such but it's still some good stuff

Ok, I did the 3x3 and noticed the other day that the fluid level was below or on the lowest hole (two on dip stick) so I was ok maybe this is why I feel the bump at the beggining of the shift, so I went and dumped another quart in there and a day later it's still at that hole, no leaks, any suggestions?
one quick suggestion is with the redline since its thinner I have noticed if you dont check both sides you might think its low. the redline doesnt stick to the dipstick as good as the z1 does when reading the stick...when i check mine I noticed one side be clean and the other on the outer edge of dipstick you see the level of where its at...good luck and let us know what the end result ends up being
Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
what potential problems with harsh shifts in "cold startup" cause when using this redline atf in cold weather?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^not exactly sure, but i just keep mine in SS and make sure to shift before 2k rpm until it gets warmed up...usually the amount of time it takes me to get out of my neighborhood.

the shifts won't be harsh if you shift early enough.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lazer187
what potential problems with harsh shifts in "cold startup" cause when using this redline atf in cold weather?
My experience has been smoother shifts when cold with the Redline even in the winter. My shifts with Z1 were pretty harsh. The switches also made a big difference. I don't see you having problems if you do the switches and Redline.

I don't know that it has anything to do with the viscosity. It's been mentioned before that the DBW doesn't close throttle on shifts when cold like it does when hot. It might be related to that rather than the viscosity.

Very harsh shifts can wear out items such as mounts and axles. Keep in mind an auto with harsh shifts is no where near as hard on stuff as a 6mt during normal use so it's pretty safe to say it won't hurt a thing.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
FINALLY got my 3x3 done yesterday, along with an oil change, brake fluid change, and an alignment. There is definitely an improvement, but I cant say I "felt" an issue before hand so it could just be the new fluid. I originally planned on getting this done a few months ago when it was cold, so my plan was to use 2 lightweights and 1 standard per each fill. When my order was shipped 1 of the 3 standard weights were damaged and leaking so they sent me a new, but they sent the lightweight instead. So now I have 7 lightweights and 2 standards to work with. I decided on using only lightweight for the first two fills, and then close with the 2 standards and the last remaining lightweight.

Shifts feel great, I would describe them as being "with purpose". Not harder or harsher, but more direct or maybe a tad quicker in feel. Either way I am just happy its finally in. I will report back more once I have a few more miles. Still havent done the pressure switches yet but they are on my list....but thats also what I have been saying for the past 2yrs with my PCDs that are still in my garage, so we shall see
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Racer

My shifts are much more direct as stated above. Today the shifts seem to smooth out a tad bit but the little "lunge forward feel" is still there, slightly. Maybe the fluid is so fresh that the clutch is just grabbing it too harshly? I tried resetting the ecu as well to see if it helps but no avail. IHC I did refill the 3 quarts, tomorrow I'm going to do another 1x1 (over $140 in fuluids!!) and maybe put 4 qts in there instead. Do you suggest me changing the transmission filter as well (05). Also if the upper transmission mount is ripped would that cause this? It didn't happen until AFTER I did the 3x3 however.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Is the level ok now? At 3.5 quarts, mine is past the top hole. Something is wrong for yours to take that much. No need to put 4 in during a fill. Do 3, start it for a few seconds, shift to drive and reverse, shut it off and recheck the level. Another drain and fill likely won't make a difference.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Racer

Now if I didn't have enough fluid to begin with, would it still drain out 3qts? The level is still below the bottom dot but theres sime mildly up middle of the whole dip stick, probably from splashing up on it?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Now if I didn't have enough fluid to begin with, would it still drain out 3qts? The level is still below the bottom dot but theres sime mildly up middle of the whole dip stick, probably from splashing up on it?
Are you checking it with the engine on or off? If it's still low, add some more and your problems will probably go away. The fluid is probably getting aerated.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Racer

I checked the fluid level with the car on and off. IHC from researching the threads there are people that are draining out over 3qts some less. I've read a few posts where one guy drained 4 qts and other occasions where some drained out 3.2-3.5ish. Still I put in 4 quarts and no avail, Posted pics in a different thread please view, bottom last post

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/normal-redline-racing-atf-feel-shifts-815207/

IHC, you'll probably hate me haha but I'm going to do a 1x4 today, meaning drain all and put in 3 1/2- 4 quarts of the type f redline racing fluid and see if I notice anything including checking levels. I really hope that the fluid level was just somewhat low. If the fluid level is flushed and bump shift still persist I think I might drain and put the new dw1 fluid in. Like I said bump is barely noticeable but I'm anal and like the feeling of the car not shifting. On a bright side I did change the switches
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced

So I really screwed up and overfilled my trans by about half a quart- The first to Second shift is really harsh and 3rd is lazy and 4th and 5th seems ok. the fluid (redline type F) smells and looks burnt. I have had it in for about 2 weeks. I have the level corrected now- but harshness is still there. I replaced the pressure switches previously. I ordered new redline fluid and new pressure switches in the hopes that helps. Am I out of luck now in regards to saving the trans?

Quick Reply: Racing ATF