Racing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i live in the north east, it gets plenty cold up here this time of year. i did a 3x3 a few months ago, with redline racing and redline lightweight. 2 qts racing/1 qt lightweight on each fill.

i have not noticed a delay of any kind when going into any gear. everything is smooth, much smoother than before i did the 3x3.

at my next oil change, in 6k miles, i'll do another 1x3 (2 racing/1 light) and replace the pressure sensors/switches.

anyone living in a cold climate like myself, should not hesitate to do this. you'll thank innacurate when it's all said n done.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
SpiderX1016 - What was the weather temperature that morning when you noticed the delay?
I'd say Mid 50s. So it doesn't get that cold here.

Maybe I should try a bottle or two of lightweight. I'm going to be doing another 2x3 in the near future.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I live in a cold climate and was worried about the thicker viscosity so I did a drain and fill with Redline 2 qts of racing and 1 qt of lightweight racing. I have only done 1 drain and fill with the Redline mixture and the previous fluid was Honda-Z4, but I have been very pleased this winter. There is less of a shift delay than there used to be in previous winters.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
^ Very timely question. It has been the consensus that the thicker Redline Racing had no downside but on the other hand would offer better gear lubrication.

In light of the observation from SpiderX1016, the thicker Redline Racing might be a bit sluggish in cold climates traveling thru the passage ways before it has had a few minutes to warm-up.

SpiderX1016 - What was the weather temperature that morning when you noticed the delay?

Hopefully other members that have used the Redline Racing in cold climates can offer their feedback. Has anyone else notice a longer delay with the trans going into gear after switching to RedLine Racing ?

I use all Redline Lightweight in my trans. My trans never had a delay issue even before using the Redline. But again I have always used Mobil1 Synthetic ATF since the car was new too. With the Redline Lightweight, I notice the trans going into gear quicker than the Mobil1 ATF.

Correct. The Redline Racing and the Redline Racing Lightweight are the same except for the viscosity. The two can be mixed in any ratio or one fluid can be used exclusively.

Theoretically, the thicker Redline Racing should offer more gear lubrication/protection. However, I use all Redline Racing Lightweight and I have seen no metal on my drain plug. And I dog my car a lot.

Your plan to use 5:4, racing:lightweight or 6:3 would still be thicker than the Z1. For your cold climate, I recommend 1 quarts RedLine Racing ATF (PN# 30304) (click here) and 2 quart RedLine Lightweight Racing ATF (PN# 30314) (click here) per every refill.

Using 4 Racing and 5 Lightweight would give a slightly thicker fluid than Z1.

Using 3 Racing and 6 Lightweight would give a slightly thinner fluid than Z1. I recommend this for the cold climate. With the superior film strength of the Redline, this is completely safe. Like I said, I run much thinner with no wear.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Agreed, it would be interesting to get a small survey of people using the racing fluid in a cold climate.

My theory is it should not make a difference except in the coldest of climates. I graphed it a while back and it's on my home computer but at 32F, the racing fluid is the same viscosity as Z1 at 20F or pretty close to that. All I'm saying is that if it's the fluid's fault, Z1 users should experience the same issues at a slightly lower temp.

FWIW, since I have around 90% racing fluid right now, I'm doing 2 quarts of the lightweight and one quart of the racing while it's still cold just to see if I can tell a difference. In fact I'm on the fence, might do an entire 1x3 of lightweight since it would put me very close to Z1 viscosity. "Cold" here is freezing so it's all relative.
Great. Thanks, guys. I already have 4 qts of the racing, so I'm just going to order 5 qts of the lightweight and go with that. I'm going to do a 1x3 every oil change, so I will probably do a 1:2 (racing:lightweight) mixture for the frist couple changes. That way, by the time I get all the fluid in there, it will be quite a bit warmer here. It looks like Sharksbreath is from the same area and is doing a 2:1 (racing:lightweight) with good results, so I feel comfortable going with a slightly thicker mix than what you recommended, Inaccurate. The only reason being that I already have 4 qts of racing and I don't want to waste any fluid. I'll report back with my results. My transmission isn't giving me any problems so far with 80k and (to my knowledge) no changes. But I wanted to do the fluid and the gear switches preemptively and I'll let you guys know what changes I see. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
TEAM INFIDEL!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did a flush with 3 qts of the redline racing atf today. So far all seems good, it may just be the fresh fluid in general or the redline stuff. It seems to have helped it sum as in smoothness i should say. Will flush another 3 qts first of next month. Thanks for the advice and details on this.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed out my z1 with the redline racing fluid type f. it rolls now very smooth shifting. thanks IHC once again. now i just have to chase down other issues!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Changed out my z1 with the redline racing fluid type f. it rolls now very smooth shifting. thanks IHC once again. now i just have to chase down other issues!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
I have a 2009 RDX with a 5AT, which based on the pics (diagrams) posted in this thread and others, looks like the TL trans 5AT, complete with the interior only filter.

I plan to use a mix of 50/50 Redline Racing/ Lightweight, because I live in Utah, where it is not unusual to get down to 10F even inside Salt Lake City, and much colder up higher in the canyons.

For those interested, these are the published viscosities from Redline, cSt @100C, cSt @40C, cP @-40C
RACING: 10, 56, 18000
D4: 7.5, 34, 5200
Mobil 1: 7.4, 36.3, 10040
50/50: 7.45, 39.6, 12750 (extrapolated of course)
LIGHTWEIGHT: 4.9, 23.2, 7500

Now, my question is basically this. D4 is rated as GL4 protection, while the RACING and LIGHTWEIGHT are not. So is that just advertising, or is the D4 actually more protective of the gears (GL4)?

Anyone discussed this directly with Redline, or have a comment? Thanks for this post/ thread. I have been following for a couple of months, trying to decide if I wish to try the Redline, and whether to go with D4 or Racing?

BTW, this topic is not active on the RDX forum area. Not sure if our car is more reliable, or just not old enough to have problems yet. Mine has only 17K miles. A Magnefine filter was installed at 15K miles with a 3x4 with Z1, into the factory trans cooler line. And the RDX has a 'real' cooler in front of the grill, as well as the heater/ cooler inside the radiator.

The RDX trans holds 8.2 quarts, with 4 quarts (instead of 3) on a drain. Hence, 3x4 instead of 3x3.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
D4 is rated as GL4 protection, while the RACING and LIGHTWEIGHT are not. So is that just advertising, or is the D4 actually more protective of the gears (GL4)?

In the pic above, Redline states that the D4 "provides a GL-4 level of gear protection."

In the pic above, Redline states that the Racing fluid "satisfies GL-4 gear oil requirements." Whereas the web page for the Lightweight fluid has no mention of meeting GL-4 requirements.

However in the pic above, Redline does state that the Lightweight fluid also is "recommended use" for GL-4 usage (click here for source).

I do agree that it would be helpful to call Redline to inquire. If you call Redline, be sure to ask for Dave.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
... I've also got a theory that Z1 when driven hard on a hot summer day probably gets as thin as the lightweight fluid and you don't have the great base oil there to protect it.

I believe the new Honda fluid that Z1 is supposed to be replaced with is going to be in the upper 5cSt range so who knows how this will play out. GM is already using a low 6cSt fluid (Dex VI). ...
Data taken from Honda published MSDSs:
cSt @100C, cSt @40C, cP @-40 (not published by Honda)
Z1: 7.058, 29.49
DW-1: 6.835, 25.09
DEX VI: 6.0, 29.8, 12030

The DEX VI stuff is made by Petro-Canada, the manufacturer who developed the original stuff in conjunction with GM, and hold the #1 license number from GM to make it (for GM). Compare the above data with Redline product data, in my post just above.

Since the Honda DW-1 new ATF is only marginally lower in viscosity, at 100C, than the old Z1, I wonder if that means that the Z1 was already near the lowest acceptable viscosity for proper protection of the trans? Surely, if Honda wanted to 'duplicate' DEX VI for gas-saving, they could have gone lower in viscosity than they did with the DW-1. So why didn't they?

Well, maybe one reason is that DW-1 is just ordinary mineral/ petroleum oil, while the DEX VI is a semi-synthetic. The entire advertising push for DEX VI is that it will not shear (to a lower viscosity), like ordinary oils. Wonder how badly, and how fast, the DW-1 will shear?

BTW, the last DW-1 oil bottle that I read (the label), did NOT state that DW-1 could be used in vehicles previous to 2010, unlike the DPSF fluid for the rear differential, which DOES state that it is backward compatible with all previous years/ diffs. This is contrary to many online posts, so before you put DW-1 in your car trans (why would you), at least read the label.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Burning Brakes

However in the pic above, Redline does state that the Lightweight fluid also is "recommended use" for GL-4 usage (click here for source).

I do agree that it would be helpful to call Redline to inquire. If you call Redline, be sure to ask for Dave.
Thank you for the information. The link you give above, appears to be a LATER VERSION of the same PDF file which I have (on my PC). My (older) version did not include the GL-4 ratings, as I indicated. Neither PDF version is dated - I hate it when a manuf does that (or does not do that - date their info).

The PDF file which you link also gives different viscosity data for the RACING ATF oil, than that which I posted above. The difference is minor, so I will not repost, anyone interested can use your link. The difference is minor enough that it has really no effect on what I posted concerning viscosity comparisons between the various Redline versions.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BTW, FRSport.com price matches Redline fluids. I had them pricematch down to $9.95/quart for Type F fluid because they had some of the lowest shipping I could find. You just have to submit an online form and they got back to me in a day or so.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully other members that have used the Redline Racing in cold climates can offer their feedback. Has anyone else notice a longer delay with the trans going into gear after switching to RedLine Racing ?
I did a 3x 3 drain and fill with Redline type F and I've experienced the same symptoms as spiderx with the 2-3 second delay while in reverse. This occurs when I first turn on my car and backout of the garage. Temperature is rougly around 60f or so.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
TEAM INFIDEL!

I have actually experienced the opposite effect. Mine goes into Drive And Reverse quicker. Its not sluggish like before.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Advanced

I used to have the sluggish Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive. No more.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tsill
I used to have the sluggish Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive. No more.
Just to clarify - Are you saying that your trans had a delay going into gear with the Z1 and that the Racing fluid had eliminated the delay after you did a 3x3 with Racing fluid?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Lookie at what I got from Mr. UPS =]

Before I start the 3x3, do you think 3 Redline racing atf is going to be too thick? I live in Los Angeles, so it isn't super cold. I'm thinking I can get away with not mixing this stuff with some Redline racing lightweight. Anyone care to chime in and just put my mind at peace.

I'll let everyone know the result after I do the 1x3, 2x3, and 3x3 =]
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevietennis
do you think 3 Redline racing atf is going to be too thick? I live in Los Angeles, so it isn't super cold.
Looking good !

You will be fine. There is no real harm with it being thicker than typical ATF. Whereas you will be saving your trans from that damning Z1, which is harmful to your trans.

The difference between Racing and Lightweight is really just splitting hairs.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Picking up 3qts of Redline Type F after work today... WOOT.

INAC & IHC, do you see any issues with doing a 1x3 for now of type F? In other words Ill be mixing 3qts of type F with the rest of the Z1.

THNX
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Safety Car

No problem at all. The Redline Racing ATF is fully compatible with the Z1.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone able to read the transmission fluid dipstick w/ the redline racing fluid? the fluid level is all over the place and this is when checking the level ~30 seconds after driving it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Safety Car

Weird ATF level reading even after car was run (click here)

Oohhh....... wait a minute. That is one of your threads. Can I post a link to answer your question when the linked thread belongs to you?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 AM
8th Gear

Not sure if my Ody has the same dipstick as the Acuras, i normally cant read one side but the other side i read fine. i usually look for the solid ATF line.

CK
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Instructor

way too many posts to read...i simply just want to use the best atf for my 07' TL...FM good or bad or whatever...racing lightweight blah blah, redline amsoil etc blah blah...whats mostly recommended...what ratio? I dont want any comments referring me to go back and read. Just make it simple please.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sir Drake
I simply just want to use the best atf for my 07' TL.
Just make it simple please.
Purchase 12 quarts of RedLine Racing ATF (PN# 30304) (click here) from this link.

When your order arrives, do a drain/refill of your trans for 4 times. Each refill takes 3 qts. Thus, 3 qts for four times equals 12 qts.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Purchase 12 quarts of RedLine Racing ATF (PN# 30304) (click here) from this link.

When your order arrives, do a drain/refill of your trans for 4 times. Each refill takes 3 qts. Thus, 3 qts for four times equals 12 qts.

preciate the blount simplicity.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Is it true this stuff voids warranty? I bought the extra warranty to cover me for next 3.5 years or 100k miles, hate for it to be voided.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok so i just ordered my racing ATF 30304, how do i go about changing the fluid or flushing it? Do i need to go to a mechanic? Is there a diy? Thank you for all the helpful info.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

^^^

The RR Journals: ATF drain and refill 3G Garage #C-012 (click here)
C-026: DIY Changing ATF (with Pics) (click here)
Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sir Drake
Is it true this stuff voids warranty? I bought the extra warranty to cover me for next 3.5 years or 100k miles, hate for it to be voided.
Controversial question. Acura (or warrantor) might or might not be able to void the warranty for using non-approved ATF. Either way, your warranty could be challenged if they discovered that you used non-approved fluid.

I highly doubt that they would know that it was not Z1 in the trans. However, Z1 is usually black because the Z1 grinds the hell out of the clutches. The worn-away clutch material is what causes the Z1 to turn black so quickly (my theory). So with Racing ATF, they might scratch their head wondering why your fluid is a beautiful clear red

My advise is to "Don't ask, don't tell". You are taking a risk either way.

Keep using the Z1 and allow the Z1 to wear away all of the clutch material by 100k. Your warranty will be expired, and your trans breaks at 110k..... leaving you to foot the bill.

Or, you can take a risk that they will never know. Put the Racing fluid in there, and rest comfortably knowing that your trans will live a long life (200k+ )
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Controversial question. Acura (or warrantor) might or might not be able to void the warranty for using non-approved ATF. Either way, your warranty could be challenged if they discovered that you used non-approved fluid.

I highly doubt that they would know that it was not Z1 in the trans. However, Z1 is usually black because the Z1 grinds the hell out of the clutches. The worn-away clutch material is what causes the Z1 to turn black so quickly (my theory). So with Racing ATF, they might scratch their head wondering why your fluid is a beautiful clear red

My advise is to "Don't ask, don't tell". You are taking a risk either way.

Keep using the Z1 and allow the Z1 to wear away all of the clutch material by 100k. Your warranty will be expired, and your trans breaks at 110k..... leaving you to foot the bill.

Or, you can take a risk that they will never know. Put the Racing fluid in there, and rest comfortably knowing that your trans will live a long life (200k+ )

Good suggestions...I preciate it. Looks like I will order some new Redline ATF.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Anonymous via PM
I don't race or even push my car hard. So, would the Redline D4 be what I'm looking for instead of the Racing fluid?
Good question ! The name "Racing fluid" is a bit misleading. Although the Racing fluid is intended for racing applications, it is a magic elixir to our TL transmission. Although you don't run your TL hard, you do still need the Racing fluid.

Anytime the transmission shifts a gear with Z1, valuable clutch material is being scrubbed away. Even if you applied throttle as lightly as possible to accelerate, the clutches are still suffering the same wear (generally speaking).

Regarding the D4. Although D4 is better than Z1, the D4 still allows some wear on the clutches. Off the top of my head, I would estimate that the D4 would reduce the wear (compared to Z1) by half. So if you use D4, the clutches are wearing at half of the rate.

However with Racing fluid, little to no wear is occurring. I would estimate that Racing fluid reduces approx 90-95% of the wear compared to Z1.

I highly recommend that you forego the D4 and get the RedLine Racing ATF (PN# 30304) (click here).
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, I found a 12 qt pack of the redline racing ATF 30304 on www.outdoorpros.com for $119.35 shipped along with a $5 off coupon. I believe this price is the cheapest I've found per qt. Just google coupon code for outdoorpros.com

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Red-.../64914/Cat/140
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just put in 3 quarts of Redline Racing ATF and didn't do a 3x3 because I already had Amsoil in it. Transmission shifts great! I was expecting the shifts to be much firmer but they are very smooth and quick.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Just did a 1x3 with 2 racing and 1 lightweight, as well as my pressure sensors. I can tell a small difference, but I wasn't experiencing any problems and I only did a 1x3. It IS switching gears faster though. I plan to do the rest with my next oil changes. I'll report back.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys I'm new to the 3g tl world and looked through most of this thread, I just bought a 04 TL Navi and did some tune ups. I would like to know if someone can answer these questions for me.

Longest time and Most miles someone has running on Redline Racing ATF on the 3g tl?

Any problems ever since the switch?

I'm in NYC so should i mix the racing atf with the lightweight atf?

I want to make sure before the switch or else ill just got to D4 ATF.

Cars got 55k miles on it and shifts feel sluggish sometimes.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:39 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by cmoy1122
Hey guys I'm new to the 3g tl world and looked through most of this thread, I just bought a 04 TL Navi and did some tune ups. I would like to know if someone can answer these questions for me.

welcome

Longest time and Most miles someone has running on Redline Racing ATF on the 3g tl?

that would be member 'inaccurate'...not sure on the miles tho, but he has never experienced any problems.

Any problems ever since the switch?

nope, not for me or anyone else that i know of.

I'm in NYC so should i mix the racing atf with the lightweight atf?

yes, do 2 qts of racing and 1 qt of lightweight on each drain n fill.

I want to make sure before the switch or else ill just got to D4 ATF.

no, get the racing and lightweight fluid.

Cars got 55k miles on it and shifts feel sluggish sometimes.

it won't after you do the 3x3. good luck!
see bold.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
Hmmm, interesting info. I just cleared 80K miles on my '06 and am wondering if I should do this. In a high heat climate like Phoenix, should there be a mixture of fluids, or just straight Racing ATF?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

I've read through the whole thread and still have a few questions. I have a 05 with 84k that as far I know has not had the tranny fluid changed. What would be my best course of action?

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
just ordered a case of racing fluid from outdoor pros good price

Quick Reply: Racing ATF