M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Wow. Jaw dropping. Another dieter.....

I am speechless. Dieters are popping out of the woodwork.

All I can say is....

WHOOP !!!

Welcome aboard rooster. I am looking forward to helping and seeing your progress.

If you wish, I can post your pics for you. I will send (PM) you my email
i have been thinking about this a long time since i bought my car i saw your thread dont get me wrong i was like WTF? then i read on and on and im like this all makes sense.. should of done this earlier
and swoosh doesnt help either do it you will feel the difference! lols
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Rooster likes going by a different name...if you know what I mean.

LOL...nicely done, sir...sounds like I'd lose about the same weight if I got rid of my sound system, but honestly, I THOROUGHLY enjoy mine on almost a daily basis...I'd lose 100 that I added to the car, plus an addition 10 pounds for the heavier wheels (2.5 lbs each over the aspecs). Maybe down the line I'll give this a go...but I doubt it...I'm driving like an old lady since my ticket...and have been getting 26 mpg lately...

well removing the sound system is a good start thatws why i was thinking about getting some focal or morels in the front and getting a small 8 shallow mount for the sub and just remove the rear speakers. because im like you i enjoy my music!
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ you can get 30mpg with the diet LOL

Rooster....glad you listened bro....will call you later tonight, my work sucked me in last night while we were talking
30 mpg = heaven for me. i only drive 2ce a day usually. in the morning gonig to work and after work. but during those 2 times i drive a day. i drive like my cars stolen safely though lols. occasionally i would go on a cruise with my friends on a sat. and sundays go out with my girl. and for some odd reason whenever me and my girl go out. i get picked at by 335/is350/mustangs/camaros on the freeway. probably my exhaust pretty damn loud atm. but yeah. and every single time i lose then my girl goes hmm what are you going to do about that <-- some words of motivation
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

i no longer want to get smoked by a 335 or a is350 lols
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
IS's are super quick, IMO...I'm sure if you get to Innac level, you might be able to spank em though.

Wow, a girl that tells you to make your car faster...lol...that'll be the day!

Just rock an ipod and some quality earbuds...keep it simple...pandora on your phone even, then you'll shed even more weight. Over 30MPG is pretty great...maybe one day.

J.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

IS's are super quick, IMO...I'm sure if you get to Innac level, you might be able to spank em though.

Just rock an ipod and some quality earbuds...keep it simple...pandora on your phone even, then you'll shed even more weight. Over 30MPG is pretty great...maybe one day.

J.
well i raced my friends is350 when i didnt know how to launch or remove traction control. dont ask i had a scion tc before..so yeah.he took me pretty badly . but their rated at i think 310 hp on paper. and i havent dynoed yet but im estimating somewhere between 250-260 ? so what would they be at the wheel 260-270? with the extra weight loss im hoping i can beat them..

i wont be as extreme as tim but im pretty sure he can spank is350
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

J.
yeah i thought ahrd about this before i decided to do it and with some of swoosh's persuasion . i asked myself a couple of questions

how often do i drive people in my back seats? never 4 months ago rear seats in mint condition ( going to use it as couch when i build my MAN CAVE )

do i use my trunk ? no i just leave garbage and crap back there

will my car look like shit from the outside if they look into the back ?
no my windows are dark as hell cant see the back anyway

so i said damn why not.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by FCVadi

so thought I would share this, not sure if some of you guys already looked into [Lexan]

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/l...ndows_install/

but thought I would share for the folks who havent known about this

This has been on my To-do list for a long time ( . 1 . 2 . ). It one of the few things remaining that I can do.

I will be keeping a close eye on Villo's Lexan project (click here).
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by rooster415
well i raced my friends is350 when i didnt know how to launch or remove traction control. dont ask i had a scion tc before..so yeah.he took me pretty badly . but their rated at i think 310 hp on paper. and i havent dynoed yet but im estimating somewhere between 250-260 ? so what would they be at the wheel 260-270? with the extra weight loss im hoping i can beat them..

i wont be as extreme as tim but im pretty sure he can spank is350
you're closer to 240-250wheel horsies.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

so i started the diet today.
removed all trunk liners
spare tire
trunk lid liner
trunk damper
rear seats
rear deck lid
rear panels(showing airbags)

wonder how much weight ive lost lols
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by rooster415
so i started the diet today.
removed all trunk liners
spare tire
trunk lid liner
trunk damper
rear seats
rear deck lid
rear panels(showing airbags)

wonder how much weight ive lost lols
check it against Tim's master list. Congrats on starting though!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vill0169
check it against Tim's master list. Congrats on starting though!

thanks!!! currently have tons of bills atm. so cant do much modding $ wise. but do i have to say only removing the trunk things and rear seats has made my car feel like it was hauling less. floored my car up a steep mountain earlier and reach about 75 mph like it was nothing!. great mod! thanks for the advice swoosh and innacurate!

will be removing front and rear reinforcement bars and taping the bumper foam support to bumper next week its too hot to work out in the sun at the moment. and going to lift the car up next week to see what i can remove under the car..

when swoosh said it was addicting i thought no it cant be but im already brainstorming what else what else.. i promised my wife if i do it i cant touch anything in the front 2 seats area. i said racing seats but she doesnt like them so i guess thats out of the picture
Inaccurate (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

so if i calculated correctly its around 170lbs so far
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Nelson,

Based on the raw math, the 170 Lbs is the same as adding 13 WHP. But, this is misleading. Because engine mods usually give improvements just to the peak hp and mods don't actually fatten up the entire power curve. The diet increase the power ALL THRU the rpm range, from idle to redline.... something the engine mods seldom do. So, in some ways, it would be fair to say that the weight reduction would be the same as adding maybe 16 WHP.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Advice to newbie dieters -

1) Let your girlfriend/wife see how happy you are with the improvements in your car's performance from doing the diet mods. Remind her that it is free too (if applicable). Throw-out a quick comment every few days about how the diet mods makes you happy. Say things like "wow, my car is soo much fun to drive now."

After a while, few weeks or few months, she will realize that this diet thing truly makes you happy. And it is mostly free (important to women). A woman knows that a happy boyfriend/husband makes for a happy girlfriend/wife. Hopefully, she will allow you to do more diet mods because she loves you and knows that the diet makes you happy.

2) Be very cautious who you allow to see the inside of your car. Most people have no clue about this diet stuff. And yes, they *will* think that you are crazy and weird. I have shown my car to very, very few people in the past five years. And when I have shown someone, it was after I thought long and hard before I did it.

Here is a funny story. My grandson is 5 years old. He looked at my computer one day and asked what I was doing. I told him I was posting pics of my car on the internet (my diet thread). Below is our discussion -

Grandson - "what is that picture?"
Inaccurate - "that's my car."
Grandson - "that's *your* car???"
Inaccurate - "sure buddy. Do you want to go to the garage to see it?"
Grandson - "yes"
(we walk out to the garage and I let him look inside)
Grandson - "woooooooow"
Grandson - "what you do to your car???"
Grandson - "why you ruin your car???"
Inaccurate - "to go faster."
Grandson - (he looked at me with a dazed and confused look on his face)
Inaccurate - "maybe when you are a teenager you will understand."
(I take him back into the house so he can play with his Legos)

This is a true story folks. Again, from a 5 year old boy. Amazing. I was floored at his reaction...... "woooooooow why you ruin your car???"

Last edited by Inaccurate; 04-22-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
thats the same reaction from a 15yr old, 25yr old, 35, 35, 55.. etc... its funny though the folks who like to go fast and know cars understand, the ones who want to know cars.. want to go fast but yet not do anything other than buy a new car do not understand... and the ones who just get a car to go from point A topoint B dont even bother wanting to understand but those folks dont really care either
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

ive been pming tim back and forth. telling him my experience and he asked me to share it here. so here i go

i started the diet on 4/21/12
started with the rear seats removed
then went to the rear deck
back speakers and subwoofer (said i wasnt removing it but i did)
went into the trunk.
removed trunk damper
trunk liner
all liners around trunk
spare tire/jacks everything
trunk and rear seats completely empty no liners nothing!
i still ahve the seat belts on because i knew i was going to drive someone yesterday
and my girlfriends friend was telling me alli hear is your exhaust and nothing else and i said just what i wanted

so my hands on experience
normally on the freeway i drive pretty aggressive but i always drive during late rush hour or right before rush hour where there is cars but no a whole lot. so i would be going around 80 mph then would have to slow down to 55-60 mph
then as traffic clears i would just step on the pedal all the way in 6TH gear and i would have a REALLY hard time getting to 70 - 80 .i understand that im in 6th at low rpm and it wont pull i know. but after i started the diet for the 180 lbs taht i have removed i did the test i was going around 70 then let go of the gas to 60 mph. then i stepped on the pedal all teh way again in 6TH gear then i was like HOLY SHIT im at 75 then 80 then 85 then 90 i was like whoa.. i expected 180 not to make much of a difference but im being totally honest it DOES make a DIFFERENCE.

i have a custom exhaust/v3 pcds/rv6 jpipe throttle body spacer. with the pcds and jpipe it made a ton of difference i felt power never before throughout the whole power band but doing this diet feels like it complimented my mods even MORE.

and my 2nd test i did. there is a steep steep mountain road that i take to get on the freeway if its rush hour to avoid traffic. and this mountain is straight uphill occasional red lights unless you time it right it will be all green.
so when i saw the first green light i waited for a bit then i launched the car up the hill and i must say it feels like im hauling nothing. my car just pulled all the way up the hill and i was going about 85 up the mountain and i wasnt able to do that before.
Inaccurate (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Advice to newbie dieters -

1) Let your girlfriend/wife see how happy you are with the improvements in your car's performance from doing the diet mods. Remind her that it is free too (if applicable). Throw-out a quick comment every few days about how the diet mods makes you happy. Say things like "wow, my car is soo much fun to drive now."

After a while, few weeks or few months, she will realize that this diet thing truly makes you happy. And it is mostly free (important to women). A woman knows that a happy boyfriend/husband makes for a happy girlfriend/wife. Hopefully, she will allow you to do more diet mods because she loves you and knows that the diet makes you happy.

2) Be very cautious who you allow to see the inside of your car. Most people have no clue about this diet stuff. And yes, they *will* think that you are crazy and weird. I have shown my car to very, very few people in the past five years. And when I have shown someone, it was after I thought long and hard before I did it.

Here is a funny story. My grandson is 5 years old. He looked at my computer one day and asked what I was doing. I told him I was posting pics of my car on the internet (my diet thread). Below is our discussion -

Grandson - "yes"
Grandson - "woooooooow"

This is a true story folks. Again, from a 5 year old boy. Amazing. I was floored at his reaction...... "woooooooow why you ruin your car???"
^ haha so my gf wasnt home when i started the diet. so when i picked her up after a festival she was attending. she looked in the back seats with her friends and was like...WTF you actually started doing the diet i smiled "YOU CALLED IT THE DIET YOUR CATCHING ALONG" lols so she was all complaining it looks ugly blah blah blah. i said let me show you what this has done to my car. she said "its making you smile " i said no let me SHOW you . i got on the ramp to the freeway. going 30 - 35 in 3rd then i gunned it then i saw her head and her friends head just swing back and the next thing i know i was going 95 then she said "that was pretty crazy " and her friend just complained because she banged her head on the back lid part of the rear seats on the metal lols
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Grandson - "yes"
Grandson - "woooooooow"

This is a true story folks. Again, from a 5 year old boy. Amazing. I was floored at his reaction...... "woooooooow why you ruin your car???" [/QUOTE]

^ yes you are right tim. i told a couple of my friends about thsi diet and even msg them the thread and was like . why the f*** would u guys do that to this car. why would you gut a luxury car . my response is im almost 22( all my friends are a lot older 25-30) i dont have the resources to buy a is350/135i/isf and i love my car maybe everyones dream car is a lambo/gtr or whatever their dream car is but mine was a ACURA TL since high school i have always wanted this car. i dont care what you guys say i want to enjoy my car my way. i love what the diet has done so far. though i am no where near where tim is i can only imagine how his car pulls. some people will never understand but my friends are still supportive though. asking me whats next. what is your goal. they said its not to disrespect me but their just curious of WHY and i said read the thread and you will understand. and i guess they do because they saw tims video and was like HOLY SHIT 4.7 SECS IN A 4 DOOR sedan . i was like yeah imagine that right
Inaccurate (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

and my friend who was helping me with the diet actually had his trunk apart and rear seats apart was like man this weight reduction does feel great. i said leave it like that then but the reason why it was all apart was because i sold my sound system to him and i was installing everything while i was doing my diet teh same day. so after i put everythign back and put in around 80-95 lbs of audio equipment in his car i called him today and was liek how does it feel to drive with your seats and extra weight ? he was like it feels like i have half a car full of people . i said think about the diet read the thread again see if it makes sense to you because it does to me.
Inaccurate (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

lmao i was just outside removing the rest of my audio wires probably 10 lbs of wires and had my doors open and trunk open my neighbor just came home and was like man does your car shine what do you do i said wash and wax then he NOTICED what happened to yoru trunk and back seats where is everything ? i didnt wanna explain and said someone stole them lols
Inaccurate (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
lol love seeing people's reaction when they have no clue....I remember I used to get this all the time from people when I owned my Integra...I had the thing fully gutted and I believe it weighed something like 2200lbs range and I had a B16B(CTR) swap....I had some much fun with the car and beat cars that thought I never stood a chance as I would show them my motor and nothing special was done but some minor bolt-ons......

I would love doing a full diet to my TL-S but until I can get another car to take wifey out in I have to keep it to a very minor diet, so meaning anything she don't see can be taken out which I have started doing..like running less fuel(half tank), no spare tire/jack/tools...some liners in trunk all plastic trims under hood....and whatever else I come across the undercarriage...on a side note I will be going to the track this week so hopefully I can dip into the 13's high 13's and i will be satisfied!!!

Also since I can't fully strip her.....When I truly need a speed rush I just bought the ultimate lightweight machine!!! see sig....lol(evil grin) weights 370lbs Dry weight!!! at 146hp ...hmmmm the math can be done!!!

Again Tim amazing work and glad to see everything you have done for this community!!
Inaccurate (05-16-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
lol love seeing people's reaction when they have no clue....I remember I used to get this all the time from people when I owned my Integra...I had the thing fully gutted and I believe it weighed something like 2200lbs range and I had a B16B(CTR) swap....I had some much fun with the car and beat cars that thought I never stood a chance as I would show them my motor and nothing special was done but some minor bolt-ons......

I would love doing a full diet to my TL-S but until I can get another car to take wifey out in I have to keep it to a very minor diet, so meaning anything she don't see can be taken out which I have started doing..like running less fuel(half tank), no spare tire/jack/tools...some liners in trunk all plastic trims under hood....and whatever else I come across the undercarriage...on a side note I will be going to the track this week so hopefully I can dip into the 13's high 13's and i will be satisfied!!!

Also since I can't fully strip her.....When I truly need a speed rush I just bought the ultimate lightweight machine!!! see sig....lol(evil grin) weights 370lbs Dry weight!!! at 146hp ...hmmmm the math can be done!!!

Again Tim amazing work and glad to see everything you have done for this community!!
damn 281 nice numbers strip her ! lols my gf still complaining but she sees me happy like tim said = her happy and like also he said its FREE lols
BostonSilverTypeS (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

soon to change my yellow top optima battery since i no longer have an audio system. anyone wanna buy ? had for about 2 or 3 months i think
Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
^ I am slowly stripping her believe me and it slowly feels better and better and 281 was first tune I'm closer to 300whp now and with that much power and shedding the weight feels great!! This Wednesday I will find out if this has paid off any at the track. Last time I was there I went 14.5 @ 98mph. So hoping to get in the 13sec club!! I will remove some extra items temporarily for this as well possibly rear seat just for the night!!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned

just got off the phone with Tim. and man do i have to say he is a TRUE PIONEER inspired me to diet even more !when swoosh said addicting he really meant it ! cant wait until next saturday and sunday to do more dieting lol
Inaccurate (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
^ I am slowly stripping her believe me and it slowly feels better and better and 281 was first tune I'm closer to 300whp now and with that much power and shedding the weight feels great!! This Wednesday I will find out if this has paid off any at the track. Last time I was there I went 14.5 @ 98mph. So hoping to get in the 13sec club!! I will remove some extra items temporarily for this as well possibly rear seat just for the night!!
good luck ! im shedding more weight next weekend. then saving up for jnr ecu then getting cams and stuffs ( swoosh's influence ) lols then going to be hitting up then dyno then will be hitting up the track. my goals are to reach 13's and go from there.
BostonSilverTypeS (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM

^^^great goals!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Tim....i bring you more customers

Nelson....sorry about not answering on Sunday bro....i was with Steven Bell helping him with his car....took all day (noon to 10PM)....we ran into a little issue.....

but yeah dude dieting is fun....a lot of fun.....makes the car quicker, responsive and as Steven said "agile".....

i took went into a ramp at an monsterous speed and Steven was like ....hit the brakes and on the ramp with light acceleration and out of it in 3rd with hard acceleration, his face was like

was fun to see LOL.....
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

^ and he was thinking -

"t o o ... m u c h ... a g i l e ..."

justnspace (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM

LOL...that's awesome. Steven has flown in jet planes, hasn't he?! If so, the speed wasn't his fear, it was your ability to harness and control it!
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
FCVadi (04-23-2012), justnspace (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ Thank you Jer...those are very kind words....

Tim....true statement my friend !!!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swoosh
Tim....i bring you more customers

Nelson....sorry about not answering on Sunday bro....i was with Steven Bell helping him with his car....took all day (noon to 10PM)....we ran into a little issue.....

but yeah dude dieting is fun....a lot of fun.....makes the car quicker, responsive and as Steven said "agile".....

i took went into a ramp at an monsterous speed and Steven was like ....hit the brakes and on the ramp with light acceleration and out of it in 3rd with hard acceleration, his face was like

was fun to see LOL.....
its okay !. i was just goign to ask some questions that tim answered lols man does my car haul now
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM

...must refuse the sickness...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Banned

im going to make a video and let you guys judge if its fast or not and listen to my damn RASP lols
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Inac, for the braille battery did you disconnect your keyless/security system module for the TL? i ask because in one of our posts it says dont use a car alarm but the TL comes with one as a default.. I was looking at the setup and the keyless entry/security system is tied together and did not see a natural point to disconnect the two
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

also, went through the list a few times and did not see center speaker delete.. not sure how you running power to the front speakers but I would think the center speaker is useless no matter what setup you have
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM

I think he's actually using his ipod and earbuds for music...i highly doubt he has anything left in his car for audio.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,228 Likes on 4,856 Posts
I remember Innac saying he uses headphones and an mp3 player.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM

in the biz, we call that concurrence!
civicdrivr (04-24-2012)

Quick Reply: M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)