Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by ohnoitspiter
Not bad at all. Al thought I would think you would have pulled on him more. A tuned type R makes 360-380whp through a custom tune. They'll somewhat keep up but you should have been a little further away with the extra 40-60whp . Great race regardless. Would love to see more.
Car must be slower than I believed it was supposed to be.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
excuses. typical.
see what had happened was...
and then we interview the civic and he's like, "wait, we were racing?"
Lmao

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I ran a Civic Type R the other day and was fairly impressed with the results. I was side by side for most of the pull, but he did start pulling at the top. Not exactly sure what was done, but it had exhaust.
Thought that Civic was a civic! He made me work for it

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
cuz CTR's are for drag racing yo!
I made him roll race from 60 mph too!! Lololol @justnspace was right, Honda’s don’t make power.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ohnoitspiter
Not bad at all. Al thought I would think you would have pulled on him more. A tuned type R makes 360-380whp through a custom tune. They'll somewhat keep up but you should have been a little further away with the extra 40-60whp . Great race regardless. Would love to see more.
Car must be slower than I believed it was supposed to be.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
excuses. typical.
see what had happened was...
and then we interview the civic and he's like, "wait, we were racing?"
Lmao

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I ran a Civic Type R the other day and was fairly impressed with the results. I was side by side for most of the pull, but he did start pulling at the top. Not exactly sure what was done, but it had exhaust.
Thought that Civic was a civic, He made me work for it!

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
cuz CTR's are for drag racing yo!
I made him roll race from 60 mph too!! Lololol @justnspace was right, Honda’s don’t make power.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:19 AM
Safety Car

Won 2/2 against a new C63 AMG in Mexico.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

@gerzand was right. It’s sitting at about 480-485WHP.

The only thing that changed was he insulation.

Andy’s kit beat everyone at the meet inMexico.

I recommend it.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-30-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
@gerzand was right. It’s sitting at about 480-485WHP.

The only thing that changed was he insulation.

Andy’s kit beat everyone at the meet inMexico.

I recommend it.

https://youtu.be/6OKRz5EJ4q4
Seems about right. they make about 430whp or so stock and you were pulling on him hard. Good stuff!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

He had taken delivery of the car the night before and forgot he was not in sport mode during that first race.

The second race the TL was by ahead half a car length, but he snailed ahead after 135mph as the TL hit the speed governor.

I need pistons, valves springs, retainers and a Motec exhaust system.

The TL put a bus on a yellow 2018 5.0 Mustang.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-30-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
^
Saving4aTL, just curious.

When you attend 'gatherings' like that in Mexico, what are some of the conversations like between fellow enthusiasts there that you interact with, who, for instance, want to 'run' you and your blown TL??

Is their a lot of 'yo bro downing' going on? Friendly / competitive sh!t-talking et al.??

I bet these conversations / negotiations are comical / interesting in their own right.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
rockstar143 (07-02-2019), teh CL (07-02-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

^
Great question,

I generally sit in the car and listen to the banter. Being in my 30s, I’m beginning to feel increasingly out of place there and more at home at Cars and Coffee.

Fortunately I don’t notice Drink/drugs being consumed at these gatherings of Mexico. Perhaps that is why law enforcement let them be.

The typical banter is half knowledged critiques about cars in general and the current cars racing. My favorites are “My has a this or that with this and that some to it, but it’s down atm”.

Many folks there come with their friends to spectate and have not a quick car of their own.

They are a good bunch. A number of them are recovered/ing from hard drug use and channel their energy into their cars for healthy competition. Typically Russians show up with more higher end cars.

It seems a common to smoke cigarettes/vape at these events. The chaps use their car experience to guess which car will win.

When I interact with the fellas it’s a good chat about their cars modifications and number crunching to see who will win.

The conversations are as interesting to listen to as the races are fun to watch. There’s no fighting there and a lot of encouragement amount the fellas.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-30-2019 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

The leader of a large mostly civic FB group in the area blew the electrode off the third cylinder of his 1993 4-door Civic last night. He ran a 100 shot of NOS instead of the 75 shot he’s been using for the last few months till he got greedy.

Should have kept me in the group instead of kicking me thinking I’m a cop.

Another gentleman blew a rod through the block of his 500whp EG on the first run. Had a built Honda CRV tow him home.

Both of those cars were tuned at a local tuning house which was not English Racing, but my second choice.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice thorough summation, thanks!

I generally sit in the car and listen to the banter. Being in my 30s, I’m beginning to feel increasingly out of place there and more at home at Cars and Coffee.

Yes, I know the feeling. I have a couple decades on you; thus, why the question was asked. I can only imagine the social environment when competitive enthusiasts get together with their own personal opinions and likes toward the personal type of vehicle they prefer over others. Sounds like good times.

They are a good bunch. A number of them are recovered/ing from hard drug use and channel their energy into their cars for healthy competition. Typically Russians show up with more higher end cars.
Are the victories 'a little sweeter' when they occur for the Ukrainian with his garage built TL over the Russians who attend with their 'canned from the factory' high end high performance rides?? You know what I mean, in a good way?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zeta
Are the victories 'a little sweeter' when they occur for the Ukrainian with his garage built TL over the Russians who attend with their 'canned from the factory' high end high performance rides?? You know what I mean, in a good way?
Yes they are! They are very polite and hands are always shook afterwards. It seems easier to know who the victor will be with the factory canned cars.

The TL competed against a gutted and built E85 fed CRX dubbed “The Frankenstein” from 60-110 last night and he only pulled past me after 110mph. I always achieved the initial lurch due to his massive turbo’s lag.

The Rotrex TL is being built for the @acurazine community. It is to show that this beautifully aging FF platform can not only hang with the bigger boys, but eventually outperform them.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-30-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-30-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

[color=#333333]Yes they are! They are very polite and hands are always shook afterwards. It seems easier to know who the victor will be with the factory canned cars.
Very good to hear as I presumed.

[color=#333333]The TL competed against a gutted and built E85 fed CRX dubbed “The Frankenstein” from 60-110 last night and he only pulled past me after 110mph. I always achieved the initial lurch due to his massive turbo’s lag.
Yes. Very important, indeed. In my limited and far and few between experiences, getting that competitive advantage is certainly a vital 'key'. Although, I can attest that I've had it 'disappear' in a flash though to. Mainly, during the 2nd to 3rd gear throw. Once that happens, in a close encounter, it's difficult to recover.

[color=#333333]The Rotrex TL is being built for the @acurazine community. It is to show that this aging FF platform can not only hang with the bigger boys, but eventually outperform them.
IMHO, it's a noble endeavor to pursue. As you know, just be careful out there on the streets of Mexico.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zeta
Very good to hear as I presumed.

Yes. Very important, indeed. In my limited and far and few between experiences, getting that competitive advantage is certainly a vital 'key'. Although, I can attest that I've had it 'disappear' in a flash though to. Mainly, during the 2nd to 3rd gear throw. Once that happens, in a close encounter, it's difficult to recover.

IMHO, it's a noble endeavor to pursue. As you know, just be careful out there on the streets of Mexico.

As with most things. When one shifts from one chapter of life to the next without prior preparation, it could be difficult to recover let alone catch up.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

The monster in the closet!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Spent the day at English Racing watching a Mitsubishi Evo get tuned.

Saw Myles Kerr and his 213mph 1/2 mile Acura Integra.

Those guys are very serious about their work. Glad @gerzand steered me towards them.

GTR

447whp achieved!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
[color=#333333]It is to show that this beautifully aging FF platform can not only hang with the bigger boys, but eventually outperform them.
I love Andy, I love his passion, Bruce and Richie too...all the boys that really don't make a huge profit to provide something that the big box stores never will. It's passion, it creates a following.
The quoted statement is only true until the bigger boys put a fraction of the money into theirs and then they will destroy. A bus on a 5.0 is impressive but with tires and a tune you shouldn't be
able to touch him...if he puts a blower on it too...fuggghetabout it.

Do you know how many times I've purposedly lined up to race someone? Gone to the track? The drag strip? A dyno?
Never. Not one time.

Spirited driving and the occasional ego boost against someone that pulls up to a light or on the highway...
So with that said, my experience is limited but that's always been a conscious choice for me.
Acura TL Builder (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Your right with minimal mods the 5.0 will crush. I plan to put rods,pistons, valvesprings, retainers to max my current blower to 550whp(ish). It will help.

Do you no longer have time to go out any evenings?

Andy is a true pioneer. I’m only following in his footsteps.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Shit yes I have time...
but what I do with that time is where the problem lies.
I go to the AcuraHondaClassic meets at the Acura Dealership
where I basically live...but I have never been interested in
racing any of the bros. Even when we meet somewhere and
ride and I tell myself not to drive like an asshole on public
streets, as soon as one of them hits it, you're like, shit...I ain't no bitch!
I'm not getting left behind.

If I have a free night, I'd prefer to hang with my kid(s) or fiancee though,
to be honest.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

I’ve been reading your Dad of the year! It’s awesome that you invest time into your family. When one realizes how little time we have here, you cherish moments knowing you won’t have that opportunity forever. That today is the best day. Rain or shine.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM

maybe I'm getting old but
I'm realizing that we can generate money
but we can't generate time.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Not sure, but it may have less to do with age, and more with a state of mind.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 AM

Yeah, probably...or life experiences...a lot of that comes from my fiancee...she
has made me realize there's more to life than ordering car parts.
Divorce, quitting drinking...a lot of factors more than likely.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

It’s cheaper just to live to TL racecar life bicariously through the fellas on here.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Currently researching coilovers as these are important for things like staying alive. I don’t want to buy a set of coil overs only to replace them due to poor performance.

I wanted MCS coilovers, but it’s way out of my budget.

It’s between KW and BC Racing. Tein has a poor ride quality.

BC Racing(entry level) $995 is known to be the best bang for the buck.
KW Suspension V1(entry level) $1675 is the bottom of the three tiers offered(v1,v2,v3).

Watching reviews on YouTube, KW is favored(mostly) over BC Racing. But this is due to the reviewers comparing BC racing against KW V3 coilovers. KW V3 are $2200 and lean towards the cost of MCS suspension prices.

You cannot compare BC Racing $995 to KW Variant 3 $2200.

I see KWs as propping up pricing due to their proprietary rust proofing(My car hasn’t seen a drop of rain). The geographical location(Germany). Heritage and and a bit more R&D.

Research tells me that there isn’t a noticeable difference between KW v1 and BC racing until you begin heavily tracking, which isn’t what the we are
building the TL-S machine for.

For light tracking/street use, do you guys think the BCs will suffice? I would purchase the KW if it were $1675 for the Variant 3.

@gerzand uses BC Racing coils and recommends them. Spec clutch is fantastic by the way!

PS - Just found the KW Variant 1 coils for $1487. I would like to buy them, so long as the “Comfort” aspect does not take away from its ability to handle the road.
https://www.springrates.com/kw-varia...yABEgLfgPD_BwE

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Currently researching coilovers as these are important for things like staying alive. I don’t want to buy a set of coil overs only to replace them due to poor performance.

I wanted MCS coilovers, but it’s way out of my budget.

It’s between KW and BC Racing. Tein has a poor ride quality.

BC Racing(entry level) $995 is known to be the best bang for the buck.
KW Suspension V1(entry level) $1675 is the bottom of the three tiers offered(v1,v2,v3).

Watching reviews on YouTube, KW is favored(mostly) over BC Racing. But this is due to the reviewers comparing BC racing against KW V3 coilovers. KW V3 are $2200 and lean towards the cost of MCS suspension prices.

You cannot compare BC Racing $995 to KW Variant 3 $2200.

I see KWs as propping up pricing due to their proprietary rust proofing(My car hasn’t seen a drop of rain). The geographical location(Germany). Heritage and and a bit more R&D.

Research tells me that there isn’t a noticeable difference between KW v1 and BC racing until you begin heavily tracking, which isn’t what the we are
building the TL-S machine for.

For light tracking/street use, do you guys think the BCs will suffice? I would purchase the KW if it were $1675 for the Variant 3.

@gerzand uses BC Racing coils and recommends them. Spec clutch is fantastic by the way!
BC has been proven tride and true to what we're looking for. A fun street fast TL that can be taken to the track and catch people off guard. I haven't delved that deep into it but I was keeping my choice between BC and the Tein Street flex z which is better than the basics
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

My only fear is looking like that Civic driver that has a shot L4-5 spine due to his cut springs making him bounce like a see-saw on every groove in the road.

Do you run BC @ohnoitspiter ? This is my first coilover purchase.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced

My only fear is looking like that Civic driver that has a shot L4-5 spine due to his cut springs making him bounce like a see-saw on every groove in the road.

Do you run BC @ohnoitspiter ? This is my first coilover purchase.
From the little research that I've done, Teins for the TL , even the basic ones don't ride that bad. I wanted the flex z because, like the BCs you can adjust ride height without necessarily messing with preload.

& no I've never purchased coil overs as well. I still have stock suspension in mine. I just made sure not to take corners crazy fast. have taken aggressive turns at 70mph and the TL has taken it well. Not something I can do In other cars I've pushed.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Ya the OEM coils in our cars are built/tuned well.

Ive decided to go with the BC Racing as they are the best bang for the buck(as is the TL) in their price range.

The KW variant 1 coilovers are not worth the $600 extra cost. If your spending $2100-2200 for the Kw Variant 3 then the they are more than BC racing, but not by much if your not isolating the vehicle for the track.

Insane shafts (500whp) will also be ordered as a package. I got a great custom
pricing from @Heeltoe_Automotive on all the parts!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-04-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Ya the OEM coils in our cars are built/tuned well.

Ive decided to go with the BC Racing as they are the best bang for the buck(as is the TL) in their price range.

The KW variant 1 coilovers are not worth the $600 extra cost. If your spending $2100-2200 for the Kw Variant 3 then the they are more than BC racing, but not by much if your not isolating the vehicle for the track.

Insane shafts (500whp) will also be ordered as a package. I got a great custom
pricing from @Heeltoe_Automotive on all the parts!

H&R has nice coil overs, Tire rack has them for $900 close out. They are bilstein shocks with progressive springs from Germany, they require top hats still. I was debating about getting some but I like the ride of my A-Spec suspension. My Integra has been made into a miserable street car and a great track car, no need to try and do the same with the daily.

Have you considered PCI spherical bearings for the LCA's yet?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

I have heard good things about the H&R springs. But I am attracted to the 30 click dampening adjustment of the BC Racing coilovers.

Going to look into the spherical bearings for LCA.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
I have heard good things about the H&R springs. But I am attracted to the 30 click dampening adjustment of the BC Racing coilovers.

Going to look into the spherical bearings for LCA.
Not just springs, they include matched coil overs to fit the progressive rate springs of the H&R kit. BC uses a straight/linear rate springs. Be careful on what you pick for spring rates if you go with BC Coil over kit. More adjustment does not necessarily mean better....

From Hyperco Website:

"For grand touring and high-performance driving, progressive rate springs offer great ride quality and superior handling due to the roll control offered by the springs. This is especially true if a reduced ride height is desired. The initial light rate provides a great ride, while the increased secondary rate assures a load carrying capability unavailable if lowering with a linear rate spring is attempted. Most high-performance driving involves a fixed vehicle package with only one or two passengers and very limited extra weight. This is the ideal situation for progressive rate springs"

https://www.hypercoils.com/tech-tips...nsion-springs/
Acura TL Builder (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

That’s a very informative read indeed!

I appreciate that the top hats come on BC coils and are adjustable.

This first set coils will be run for less than two years. Afterwards, a custom set of MCS coils will be built. It’s just far out of my price range at the moment as a quality Big brake kit is of higher priority.
ohnoitspiter (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Okay Fellas,

This morning I decided to learn the Portland International Raceway track.

To do so I downloaded the PS2 emulator and Gran Turismo 4 rom(I’m frugal) thinking the track was on there. I was disappointed to learn that GT4 did not support PIR and my laptop couldn’t handle running the game without massive lag.
After googling, I was relieved to learn that ‘Need for Speed: Prostreet’ offered the
PIR track.

After hitting up Offerup I was surprised to learn there was
a working PS2 with no AV cable for $20. I offer $15 and the seller bit.
We decided to meet at the oversalted Outback Steakhouse at the mall.

Whilst on the way I called around to a few used video game stores in the area and was happy to hear that a used AV cable($3.99) and NFS:Prostreet($7.99) was available!!

A memory card($7.99) was only available in red, which suited our purposes as it is the Type-S theme.

Its time to master PIR!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Went around the PIR track at least 100 times today.

Want to share my new Type-S event watch with y’all.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Clips for Bosch 550cc injectors arrived today and are ready to be installed into the Comptech TL on Sunday. Justn time for E85 tune on July 9.

Those new 4” intake pipes/couplings/clamps must all be shipped back and replaced with 3.5”.

Don't forget to measure twice and order once y’all!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Season worn track button up shirt just arrived. Was worn by a pit crew team member. Will be wearing it at all Type-S events like a nerd.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Those new 4” intake pipes/couplings/clamps must all be shipped back and replaced with 3.5”.

What's all that stuff for again??
Old 07-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Hey Zeta!

Those parts were to extend the current intake piping of the Rotrex TL to be routed behind the front bumper. It’s a good fit into the hole where the windshield wiper neck used to extend from.

I realized the better solution would be to extend it seven more inches and build a box for the intake to draw cool air from the windshield wiper neck hole. This will create less drag on the S/C as we already have two 90 degree turns before the intake piping reaches the K&N intake filter.

The current piping that Andy provided is 3.5”. So a minor extension and custom airbox will decrease the temps even More.

Its at a good temp now, but the bare aluminum intake pipe is soaking up the heat of the radiator. To nix this, more aerogel impregnated fiberglass insulation was ordered as well as silver heat tape. This will be used to wrap it all the way to the intake filter to ensure consistently cool airflow.

————————

I also bought piping/couplers for the Comptech TL. The piping will go from the mouth of the CT S/C and to behind the front bumper using 3.5” piping vs the current 3”. (That black duct taped blue coupling has got to go!)
zeta (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Nice!
Make sure to take lots of pictures to document your idea and finished concept on both the Rotrex and CTSC projects. I'd like to see how it develops as you go along, if it's not a bother? Anything in the hunt to get 'cooler air' and smooth out those 90 degree turns, sounds good to me!

Quick Reply: Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread