Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts

Had this finished a few days ago. I still need to find a way to "tuck" in the corners as they are not flush with the roofline as evidenced by the pics. Need to put the clear silicone on gap and into the bolts but I need to decide weather to add four more brackets to the corners.

The brackets are not complete as they still need to be cut and trimmed so they dont stick out. I'll take a pic in the evening so you get a shot of the hex button bolts from the outside.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-22-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

The polycarbonate doesnt rattle or wiggle at high speeds. A+ would recommend as the weight loss from the top is noticable in all aspects of driving. Seems that theres a noticable pull on my organs when I give it a 30% throttle in 2nd and 3rd. That feeling I only got with 400whp. I dont feel quite that the comptech or the M90 S/C as the weight loss make the car lift under light throttle.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-22-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Using the Passenger TL seat as my new racing seat. Time to put 1000+ laps at Portland International Raceway on the only simulator that has that track - Need for Speed: Prostreet!

Even though I think I'm ready to master that track, would like to be at the Esteban Ocon in Season 1 of Formula 1 on Netflix, where he can literally race with his eyes closed.

Jimmyrigged an old drawer as my Sim Rig. I'd build one out of wood, but meh.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

I think it looks nice besides the corners needing securing.

Thats not rust in the car. Thats all the coffee @truonghthe spilled onto the sound deadener while will be removed to save 30lbs in weight.

Need to get the polycarbonate plastic tinted so it sun doesnt shine in the eyes at the track.

There is enough polycarbonate left over to do all three door windows. It wont need any molding, the bolts will hold it aswell as keep the contour of the car.

Been watching this OG's videos. Perhaps someday will do this too, I would have to be ready paint the parts though, as the carbon/kevlar/fiberglass wont look pleasing.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-22-2022 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,447 Posts
^
Nice job!
Something like what's below may help fill in the 'gaps' arounds the edges as well a provide some sealing?

Edge Trim Profiles with Top seal (gteek.com)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

^ I was looking for something just like that for the edging!
Old 05-23-2022, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts
Your ghetto-Ukranian method of doing a clutch install by just leaving the tranny in the engine bay, how long do you estimate it would take a decently experienced DIY'er? About a full day? I'm hoping I can bang it out mostly all this coming Sunday and incase it goes longer, thankfully we have monday off too.

I've already done 1 clutch install by dropping the entire sub-frame which took about 2-3 days on and off (mostly just waited on parts). And I'd prefer to not hafta drop the sub-frame again, especially considering this time around I'll be doing it in the driveway and not inside the garage. My STi tho I can pull the engine in about 4hrs tho :gheylaugh:
Old 05-23-2022, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

It takes 8-12 hours to do. The part that takes longest is getting access by removing the parts. If your not a strong guy, have a buddy help you put the tranny back on. Makes things easier. You can definately do this in 2 days.

Please take many pics if you can.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-23-2022 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twokexlv6coupe (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 03:57 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
At this age, I'd replace the rear engine oil seals too while everything's opened up.
Acura TL Builder (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Great idea, and the rear main seal is only a few bucks at Acura.
DMZ (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zeta
^
Nice job!
Something like what's below may help fill in the 'gaps' arounds the edges as well a provide some sealing?

Edge Trim Profiles with Top seal (gteek.com)
They are based in UK and have no pricing, I sent them and inquiry anyways. Researched 30+ edge trims on amazon and other sites and cant find anything that will fit the 4.5mm/.177" Polycarbonate.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe try grainger?
Rubber Edge Trim Seals - Grainger Industrial Supply
Old 05-23-2022, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
amazon has all those trims, just google auto trims with the shape as they have P, D, Z, etc depending on what you need.

IMO screw the seals and throw a vinyl sheet on top the roof. It'll make it waterproof and you won't have to worry about wind noise. Cut out the Lexan area 3-4 inches from edges so you get some light inside the car but no water intrusion.

Did you take the window motors out of the car? wiper motors (or are those required?)

Like the sim setup.... I ended up with a playseat setup for when I want to race. I got a cheaper one as I didn't feel the need for the F1 style ones for $2-3K. I wouldn't recommend one with the center support near the pedals as they can get in the way of heels. You getting F1 2022?

Last edited by csmeance; 05-23-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 PM
Safety Car

I tried grainger earlier today and couldnt find the right size. But searching isnt my forte.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
amazon has all those trims, just google auto trims with the shape as they have P, D, Z, etc depending on what you need.

IMO screw the seals and throw a vinyl sheet on top the roof. It'll make it waterproof and you won't have to worry about wind noise. Cut out the Lexan area 3-4 inches from edges so you get some light inside the car but no water intrusion.

Did you take the window motors out of the car? wiper motors (or are those required?)

Like the sim setup.... I ended up with a playseat setup for when I want to race. I got a cheaper one as I didn't feel the need for the F1 style ones for $2-3K. I wouldn't recommend one with the center support near the pedals as they can get in the way of heels. You getting F1 2022?
Thanks for the tip CS! I'll try another search on Amazon tommorow morning.

The vinyl roof idea is a good one, but for now I'd like to keep it one color. Honestly don't think I need the seal anyways. I bought automotive silicone and the gap is extremely tight betweek the lexan and the sunroof edging. The silicone may work better than the seal edging. Just wont be as neat looking and I would have to resilicone it if I had to remove the polycarbonate. The silicone would add less top weight as well. It will be made to look neat and be waterproof.

Good Idea on the wiper motor. That does weigh a good bit. same iwth the wipers themselves. That is mid-weight that is near the front(which im trying to remove atm). The window motors are coming out this week as they are lower down but are at the edges of the car and weigh a good deal. The only motor I wont be removing is the driver side.

I have been interested in subscribing to F1 TV for a few weeks now. Watched the live Spanish Grand Prix(or I thought it was) on youtube yesterday, but it was only of the track and the racer positions, not the actual race and commentary. Watched S4 of Drive to Survive last week and now rewatching it from S1 E1! I will be subscribing soon so I can make it for Round 6 on June 4-6. Its $30/y right?

Old 05-23-2022, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Until today, I have not sweated in more than four years. Even when I lift hard I don't sweat, just get swole like @Yumcha. I did the peleton for 12 minutes today and sweat was dripping off of me.

The reason I am choosing to do more cardio instead of all heavy lifting is because when I was in the last 25 minute session track day, my mind/body was telling me I was tired 17 minutes in. Literally was telling me to drive slow because my mind ran out of steam. I was still in the intermediate class and had an instructor(who is the spec Miata lead) I wanted to impress, so I had to find the wherewithall to keep pushing flat out for the last 8 minutes. My cardio system couldnt keep up the pace and I had to use "reserves", if that makes sense.

When I watch F1, those guys are all very lean and do constant of cardio exercises. This gives them more mental clarity and the stamina of marathon runner vs. a sprinter. Also less weight on the vehicle.

For me to sustain 25 minutes of flat out concentration, I must not just be in shape, but be able to keep pushing and then push Even harder for short bursts while pushing flat out. This can only be achieved with regular cardio.

I know I'm only a Sunday Clubman, but I want to be able to get every drop out of my TL come Raceday. Also need to still get a novice racing license, so I can work on a masters license.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-23-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Subscribed to F1 TV
Old 05-23-2022, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

MRP Type-S battery is beginning to go bad from being underused. Going to put the Racecar TL (still good)battery in there and replace it with a 19.5LBS Braille AGM battery with 550 Cold Cranking Amps. This will take 20+LBS off the farthest fart of the front of the TL aswell as from the right side(which is the side with the most weight).

I have a spare battery relocation kit that will be installed into the center of the car where the passenger seat used to be. This will put weight into the low/center of the car and take 40+lbs off the Front/Driver side of the car. This will give a very noticable imporovment in handling.
619rcr (05-25-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

Thank you for the CF Center console Mr.@gatrhumpy !

Parts were packaged and shipped with care in mind! In the pics on the sale, I thought there was a large-ish chip on the main plate and was surprised it was intact! Did you send me the wrong main center console plate?

Expectations Exceeded!
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
csmeance (06-15-2022), Slpr04UA6 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Nipe. All yours, brother! Glad you like it!
Old 06-16-2022, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Wanted to give an update on the Track car. I bought a lighter battery and relocated it using 0 gauge wire. I used the other part of the A/C condensation pipe grommet which was a perfect fit.

Finished the Sunroof project. Man that was alot of focus and energy to get right. I took all the brackets back off and rounded the edges. as well as cut them to uniform sizes. There is still some silicone around some of the bolts I have to wipe off. It rained hard last night and its completely waterproof. I placed four more brackets on each corner to make the while sunroof flush fitting.

Still need to do a Motul 5.1 brake fluid flush today to prep the car for track day tomorrow. It will be raining hard, and I'm using decent goodyear tires instead of the Toyos.

I installed the Type-S Camera in the rear part of the sunroof which will get a good view throughthe sunroof aswell as the windshield. I set it back the way I did to see my analize my reaction and movements in each corner of the track to see where I can improve.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Had four sessions at PIR today. first and third sessions were dry. Fourth session was a deluge. Kept hydroplaning on the straight away at only 60-70mph. But the tires are not made for track use.

The new mods made it a different car compared to last track day.

The handling is great. Many online stated that the BC coils get "floaty" during heavy track use. I didn't notice that.

The Nose of the car is much more nible and I now have alot of oversteer. I have only known understeer in the TL so that was a new experience. The rear end is very light now.

When I use good tires for August 12 track day, it should be sunny and car should handle even better. Need an alignment and 2.5% negative camber

The Dashcam placement was not good, so that will be replaced to the windshield.

I had to bleed the Brake fluid 3/4 way through the first session. The fluid was blackish and old, which means it collected moisture and boiled putting air in the brake lines. This was very dangerous as I was coming into a turn at 125mph when the brakes gave out. I was told the brake fluid was changed when I bought the car. Big thank you to club president Steve Powell and another long time member for helping me bleed the brakes at the track.

Purchased 10 quarts or Motul 5.1 Brake fluid. This will keep the brakes feeling reliable all track day. I need the @o4Komodo BBK to brake later before going into corners. This will also lower the heat.

The car now does great int he corners, the Brakes are actually adequate for the new weight of the car. though I want better stopping for next season.

I need to install the Rotrex kit on this car. Need to redesign the intake piping so the car doesnt heatsoak after one pull.

The suspension in the front is .5" lower than the rear. Since the rear is now lightweight, I can lift the front that .5" difference and set the weight bias 150-250lbs towards the back. This should make the nose even lighter.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-17-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Slpr04UA6 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:53 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
That’s awesome, sounds like it was a blast!
Old 06-20-2022, 12:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
Had four sessions at PIR today. first and third sessions were dry. Fourth session was a deluge. Kept hydroplaning on the straight away at only 60-70mph. But the tires are not made for track use.

The new mods made it a different car compared to last track day.

The handling is great. Many online stated that the BC coils get "floaty" during heavy track use. I didn't notice that.

The Nose of the car is much more nible and I now have alot of oversteer. I have only known understeer in the TL so that was a new experience. The rear end is very light now.

When I use good tires for August 12 track day, it should be sunny and car should handle even better. Need an alignment and 2.5% negative camber

The Dashcam placement was not good, so that will be replaced to the windshield.

I had to bleed the Brake fluid 3/4 way through the first session. The fluid was blackish and old, which means it collected moisture and boiled putting air in the brake lines. This was very dangerous as I was coming into a turn at 125mph when the brakes gave out. I was told the brake fluid was changed when I bought the car. Big thank you to club president Steve Powell and another long time member for helping me bleed the brakes at the track.

Purchased 10 quarts or Motul 5.1 Brake fluid. This will keep the brakes feeling reliable all track day. I need the @o4Komodo BBK to brake later before going into corners. This will also lower the heat.

The car now does great int he corners, the Brakes are actually adequate for the new weight of the car. though I want better stopping for next season.

I need to install the Rotrex kit on this car. Need to redesign the intake piping so the car doesnt heatsoak after one pull.

The suspension in the front is .5" lower than the rear. Since the rear is now lightweight, I can lift the front that .5" difference and set the weight bias 150-250lbs towards the back. This should make the nose even lighter.
Send me a PM whenever you're ready! I have 2 left in stock and about to open another order.

Since you're tracking the car you should check out 06-10 Hyundai Sonata upper control arms. It's going to adjust your caster and greatly improve your handling. You'll just need to shim the bushing slightly and maybe use adjustable ball joints.

(caster works in conjunction with camber. You'll increase straight line grip and handling while also getting the full benefits of negative caster without going to crazy on the alignment. Return to center should be improved as well.)

Last edited by o4Komodo; 06-20-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Yes Sir Mr.Komodo!

Signed up for SCCA Track Night in America July 1. Got into the Advanced group, will be my first time out with SCCA.

I need to:
-Relocate Dashcam
-Motul 5.1 Brake Fluid flush
-Swap wheels for Cooper Zeon
-Change Oil

This will get me to at least the midfield of the advanced guys.

Last weekend I passed a Porsche 911 GT3 at the track. But I think he fishtailed and was scared to drive any faster on a semi-wet track that session. Win is a win!
Old 06-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

When I purchased this TL from Texas last year, I was told the front brakes were changed. The owner had the car for less than two years. This rotor is from 2015. Rotor measures 25mm.

People that lie through their teeth must lie to themselves in all aspects of their lives. Karma catches up to these people.

-----------------

- Flushed Brake fluid for the first time in my life today. Replaced the watery DOT3 with Motul 5.1.
- Changed oil/Filter
- Adjusted the Preload and front ride height on the BC coilovers today.
- Installed the Track music mix

Just need to replace the Dashcam to the front windshield and put on Cooper Zeons and car will be ready for July 1.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Was at the track today. There was an unfortunate car accident with a late model track prepped orange Corvette. It was racing against a track prepped Audi R8 and Mclaren 7xx.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Wife and I were watching Extreme car Crashes on Youtube last night. Mostly me, she was getting a back massage. There was a car that lost control on the highway in the rain. The person sent the video in and left this love letter.

I have yet to see anyone show this much love for a car on these videos. There is a reason people love this model as much as they do.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
take a look at this TL from back in the day, guy was taken out of passenger side and I believe had a broken nose from airbag and broken collarbone. T-boned by drunk driver in a pickup truck and was able to tell the tale.

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

Old 06-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Cut the shit, both of you.
No personal information...you know the rules.
And no libel either, those are some pretty aggressive allegations.
As far as buying or selling a car...it's a $4000 TL...you claim to know these cars, Builder...
if you do NONE of the shortcomings mentioned should really have surprised you.
Either way, a shame y'all met and it didn't go smoothly...if at any point the transaction made EITHER of you
uncomfortable either of you should have walked away. Can't say that I've had that experience with any of the members
I've met short of maybe one.

The only other thing I'll say is if it seems a lot of people have a problem with you or the things you say, it's time to look within.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:37 AM
Safety Car

@4drturbo , Here are the pics of the Macgyvered tool for the Orange Konis.

More explaination is used on page 49 of this thread.

I just made sure it didnt move as I kept unbolting it. It moved once, so I reset it and continued until I got to the oem width.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

First SCCA event went well. Spun out once, slid into the grass at high speed after an overtake. Have been a Flagger on weekends all summer so I was able to learn the rules well enough to avoid getting any black flags.

The Tires I used off of the type-S before realizing the thread wear was 500 and the tires I previously had were tread wear 300(lower Tread wear typically means a softer tyre). So putting the old tires back on.

Cheapo pads and rotors have seen 3 track days, will retire them and put on Stoptech fronts/ EBC Yellow rears with blank centric rotors I have had sitting for a year waiting to install.

Installing brake cooling ducts next week to be able to consistantly brake deep into corners. Oil Cooler is also being installed preemptively. A/C and Heater is being uninstalled in preperation for Procharger Supercharger.

Need to buy slicks for track as well as have a 2-2.5% negative camber set. Anything less and I slide around the track as though on an ice skating rink. Notice how the steering wheel stays in once place and the car slides through the corners. Better tires will remove this.

Lap times were a consistant 1:38.I want to be at 1:25.

Had a highly modified 2020+ M3, 2022 MB-AMG GT, Maserati Track car, and two new supras pass me. Feels humbling for them to fly by as I'm mashing the pedal to the floor.

If you have never taken your car to 100%(and you havent if it was on the streets), this is what you have been looking for. Do yourself a favor and sign up for an HPDE day at your local track. You will not regret it.

Getting the HPDE stamp of approval and doctor physical for the Novice Racing license exam next month.

Next SCCA event is July 24th.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-03-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

^

That looks like great fun!

Forum member 619rcr just put the below 200 tw tires on his 6MT swapped Accord, with a new built J35, to tame his 'traction' problems in first gear.
Maybe something like this would help smooth out the corners on your track days?
Originally Posted by 619rcr

Last edited by zeta; 07-03-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

^

That looks like great fun!

Forum member 619rcr just put the below 200 tw tires on his 6MT swapped Accord, with a new built J35, to tame his 'traction' problems in first gear.
Maybe something like this would help smooth out the corners on your track days?
Hey Zeta!
It is such an adrenaline rush!

I spoke with a number of seasoned members of the track this week and two of them mentioned those very tires as best bang for the buck at discount tires(even though the event was spnsored by tire rack).

Probably looked weird going around to all the cars at the track checking out their tire setups after learning about Tread Wear numbering. Found a Porche GT4 with "Tire Wear 80" as the lowest catagory.

I priced out those Falken 660 tires yesterday and at $800 they are a great price as I do not have a trailer for the car.
Hoosier slicks can be had for around $900-1000 in our tire size range and some have suggested they last 1.5-2 seasons.

Also researched the Federal Tires; They look cool with the flame tread, but I hear they wear fast, become loud sooner, and don't handle as well as Falken 660s when hot.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 07-03-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:34 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
DTD and Tire Rack are merging, I think.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 587 Likes on 436 Posts
I spoke with a number of seasoned members of the track this week and two of them mentioned those very tires as best bang for the buck at discount tires(even though the event was spnsored by tire rack).

I priced out those Falken 660 tires yesterday and at $800 they are a great price as I do not have a trailer for the car.
Yeah, I picked those up from tire rack at $200/per. ATM running staggered 255 40 falkens and 245 40 bfg on 3g tls wheels. Did a lot of review reading and tire rack test viewing before settling on the 660s. There's actually higher rated one's from bridgestone and yokohama I was looking at but of course backordered. I would speculate i'm around 300whp untuned NA.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, I picked those up from tire rack at $200/per. ATM running staggered 255 40 falkens and 245 40 bfg on 3g tls wheels. Did a lot of review reading and tire rack test viewing before settling on the 660s. There's actually higher rated one's from bridgestone and yokohama I was looking at but of course backordered. I would speculate i'm around 300whp untuned NA.
Does it chirp going into second WOT? How does it feel going around corner, any sliding at higher speeds?
Does the car lose traction when during WOB(Wide Open Braking)?
Old 07-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 587 Likes on 436 Posts
Does it chirp going into second WOT? How does it feel going around corner, any sliding at higher speeds?
Does the car lose traction when during WOB(Wide Open Braking)?
Haven't lost traction once since I got them, but its only been couple weeks. Before I would spin all the way thru first with moderate throttle. Now I feel like it just grips and goes. Shifting from 1st to second even at rev limiter never chirps. Could just be a symptom of old trans and shifter though. Engine has about 750 miles, but around 240k on trans, cables and shifter. Not quite sure what you mean about wob breaking, i do engine brake a little, but probably not nearly as hard as you're doing on the track. No problems with turning traction, have a whiteline sway bar in the front and st sway in the back, kyb agx shocks turned to max and tein springs. 2g cls upper front strut bar. But, this is just a beater project car that I have fun with on the street. not a race car.

Last edited by 619rcr; 07-08-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Haven't lost traction once since I got them, but its only been couple weeks. Before I would spin all the way thru first with moderate throttle. Now I feel like it just grips and goes. Shifting from 1st to second even at rev limiter never chirps. Could just be a symptom of old trans and shifter though. Engine has about 750 miles, but around 240k on trans, cables and shifter. Not quite sure what you mean about wob breaking, i do engine brake a little, but probably not nearly as hard as you're doing on the track. No problems with turning traction, have a whiteline sway bar in the front and st sway in the back, kyb agx shocks turned to max and tein springs. 2g cls upper front strut bar. But, this is just a beater project car that I have fun with on the street. not a race car.
Thanks for the info man. This will be my next DOT tire.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Had the pleasure of a private event at the Avant Garde Collection Friday evening. Having a beer and a meal in the presence of these beasts was a treat!

Quick Reply: Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread