VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:05 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD

Wanted the interior of my TL to look completely factory when I installed the dvd player and nav to dvd switch, so I purchased another VSA switch from the dealer to install in the "blank" space next to the mirror controls. Problem was, the vsa switch is only momentary and as you know, you need an on-off switch to toggle b/w dvd and nav.

SO....I took the vsa switch apart, made some cuts and grinds, and ultimately mounted a pushbutton on-off microswitch inside. I then cut a 1/4" dowel to mount inside the spring located inside so when the button is pushed, it in turn pushes on the momentary switch and voila! click on-off (took me about an hour of fiddling to get it just right) As far as lighting is concerned, I spliced off of the wires for the lighting of the actual VSA switch located to the left using vampire taps. for the 04-06 TL, if you are looking at the male side of the vsa switch with the locking tab on top, it is contact #3 and #4 counting from left to right. contact #3 is positive, contact #4 is negative. Contacts #1 and #2 are to signal vsa on/off (don't touch these). Lastly, I soldered quick disconnects to the terminals of the on-off switch that I had previously mounted to the VSA housing (these in turn connect to the red/black wire of DOM's unit to switch from nav to dvd).

the long wires are for the lighting, the short wires go to dom's unit

pic of switch itself...you can see in the back where the micro on-off switch is located. You can also notice that I used model/plastic paint remover to remove the old paint that creates the outline for "VSA OFF". I then had a stencil sticker made at a local graphics shop that has the "DVD" logo. I applied the sticker, painted the switch using an airbrush and testors flat black paint. Once the paint dries (about an hour using a hairdryer), I then peeled the DVD logo off carefully so that when the switch is lit, it matches the lighting from the factory.

I liked this finished product because people hardly can tell that I fabricated the switch myself...so far people have thought it was a factory option...haha.

night shot of illuminated switch.

here is one last shot that I forgot to post with the "DVD player in armrest" post. This is a birdseye view of the dvd player remote eye and PIE x3 controller switch located in the top pocket in front of the shifter. I removed the top cover for better viewing. I made an abs plastic panel and mounted the two, so when the pocket door is closed, it is out of sight. I went through all this trouble because I didn't want ANYTHING visible when all the pockets were closed.

I'll soon post pics of my rear camera switch installation in the cupholder...that looks almost factory as well and is also out of site when the cupholder is closed...I used the same set up as kenny C...bought the camera from wendy on ebay and sealed the housing with GE silicon sealant to prevent moisture build up...haven't had a problem yet...THANKS KENNY C FOR YOUR POST ON THIS.

Let me know what you think..sorry this is so long..my first time posting pics and just wanted to share with everybody...this forum has helped me tremendously and just wanted to give back some.

BTW...WHEN'S THE NEXT SOCAL MEET? I SNOOZED AND MISSED THE LAST ONE!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM
SOX FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, I never thought of that, that's a good idea, looks great!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
looks great!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Very creative! Good job! Clean and very professional looking.

Next SoCal meet wont be for at least another month or so. So you have plenty of time of sleeping in until then.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Outstanding! Excellent job. Definitely going to do this myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Will
Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

props, that looks awesome.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by datmrman
Very creative! Good job! Clean and very professional looking.

Next SoCal meet wont be for at least another month or so. So you have plenty of time of sleeping in until then.
Hey... sorry to highjack this thread... I just bought my 06 TL and live in SoCal... where/when/how can I find out about the next SoCal meet for owners?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Safety Car

rasutton, check out the AcuraZine Clubs & Meets subforum.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Wow that is really clever and nice work.

I was wondering when someone would realize they could use that blank and an extra VSA switch but I thought the switches were double injection molded so you'd be stuck with the VSA lettering on it. I guess expensive molding techniques like double injection have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Off topic but are DVDs displayed in full color or are you limited to 256.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Safety Car

I think there is a misconception here. The splash screen is limited to 256 colors.. and maybe the navigation software.. but I've seen people play DVDs on the navigation screen and although its not the best quality, it sure doesn't look like 256 either. It seems like full color. Can someone with Dom's TVandNav2Go verify this?

Give me a few weeks. I should install my module by then and I'll let you know.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:02 AM
DCC
Instructor

datmrman,

remember...PICTURES!!! =) BTW, did you end up ordering wendy's camera? I'm gonna post those cam pics for you soon...been busy at work....
Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Safety Car

I'll have some pictures up after the installation. I'm not going DVD, but something else... something better!

Wendy's camera is on its way.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman

I think there is a misconception here. The splash screen is limited to 256 colors.. and maybe the navigation software.. but I've seen people play DVDs on the navigation screen and although its not the best quality, it sure doesn't look like 256 either. It seems like full color. Can someone with Dom's TVandNav2Go verify this?

Give me a few weeks. I should install my module by then and I'll let you know.

The "splash" screen may only support images with up to 256 colors but DVD movie playback appears normal on the nav screen. You can see the square pixels when you get close enough to the screen but at normal seating position, you won't notice it. You also don't see any bad color transitions as you would in some older video games that only support 256 colors.
Here's a couple of shots I just took. They are a little blurred because my point n' shoot camera couldn't decide what it wanted to focus on. Some of the images have faint vertical lines in them. These lines were not visible while watching the DVD. They only showed up in the image when photographed.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Crook!

I had a feeling either you or DCC would follow up. You guys are just .
Old 05-26-2006, 06:59 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Wow, look how OEM this looks. If i didnt know, id say that came straight out of the assembly line looking like that. Great work.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:08 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by mustiy
[img]
Wow, look how OEM this looks. If i didnt know, id say that came straight out of the assembly line looking like that. Great work.
DITTO !!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Members,
DCC just made me a switch for me and it is identical to the switch you seen on his TL. Very good quality and fit. If you are looking for a OEM look, let Dave know. He is a great guy and fabricator. Thanks again Dave!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:00 AM
DCC
Instructor

got a few made...PM if interested!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DCC
got a few made...PM if interested!
DCC,
Gotta have one. PM sent.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ditto!!! ........ Pm Sent
Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

If you could get the wiring harness for the VSA switch, or the plug, you could probably use a PAC TR-7 to do this same thing....

Tom
Old 06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awsome job, loved your attention to details.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
DCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatalglitch
If you could get the wiring harness for the VSA switch, or the plug, you could probably use a PAC TR-7 to do this same thing....

Tom
I thought about that too...problem was...getting the wiring harness! Plus the wiring was more complicated than I wanted it to be!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by DCC
I thought about that too...problem was...getting the wiring harness! Plus the wiring was more complicated than I wanted it to be!
DCC you check your PMs?
I totally need one of your magic switches. Can you hook me up?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He responded to me quickly, I sent him the funds for mine all ready. He said he had the parts on order for a new batch. So cut the guy some slack.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by FADE
He responded to me quickly, I sent him the funds for mine all ready. He said he had the parts on order for a new batch. So cut the guy some slack.
That's cool... I've heard nothing, so i figured I was too late.

Hope he makes more... What did it run ya?
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Kennedy
That's cool... I've heard nothing, so i figured I was too late.

Hope he makes more... What did it run ya?
70 bucks. I'll keep my toggle. hah
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

for 70 dollars will you include instructions for wiring this bad boy? it looks great btw.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

also, do you have to have this "dom's unit" to install a dvd player? thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by 6pdtlinKC
also, do you have to have this "dom's unit" to install a dvd player? thanks.
Yes, or some other Navi conversion kit.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my switch and installed it...pretty easy install with the instructions if you ask me. Looks so factory...I brought my car into service the other day and the dept manager did a double take! He also thought the factory put it in there. Works great and very reliable. Anybody who wants their interior to look stock, contact DCC...nice guy and follows up with you in case you have questions. E-mail him at cullano@aol.com. Thanks Dave!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 AM

just do you guys know, the fog light switches from the 01-03 TL and CL's are push buttons ones, and fit directly into that slot too. i think they cost about 35 bucks from honda
Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbf351
just do you guys know, the fog light switches from the 01-03 TL and CL's are push buttons ones, and fit directly into that slot too. i think they cost about 35 bucks from honda
Got pics?

DCC just got madddddd skill with fabication the switch. But that do seems too pricey.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rbf351
I researched other switches that honda makes to see if it would work...I came across those fog light switches too but I would still have to mod it to work with DOM's unit and then mod it to have the lighting work as well. Not to mention, it wouldn't have the dvd logo on it...the logo alone was ! When I got the switch in the mail, like an idiot I tried to take it apart to see what he did inside...MISTAKE! Needless to say I couldn't get it back together to work, which by the way I have no idea how he figured out how to make the microswitch thingy work. Anyway, e-mailed DCC up and he walked me through reassembly so it was all good. Promised I wouldn't try to take it apart again! I'm happy with my purchase!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by waacow
Got pics?

DCC just got madddddd skill with fabication the switch. But that do seems too pricey.

no pics, but i can tell you they will work for this. you still would have to do waht he did to make the DVD symbol light up, but you want need another switch inside it
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey DCC,
Does the PIE x3 controller switch allow you to retain the factory XM. I just installed the Blitzsafe Hon/AUX DMX v.2X, and have had no luck getting it to work. I have an 05 with Navi, meets all there requirements, but still doesnt work right. It will switch over to the CD-C, but there is no sound coming out.

Thanks for the pics, and the ideas, I love the switch Idea. Got the switch, now just have to have the time to do the work on it.

Great work!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

yes, the PIE retains XM.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
DCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Hey DCC,
Does the PIE x3 controller switch allow you to retain the factory XM. I just installed the Blitzsafe Hon/AUX DMX v.2X, and have had no luck getting it to work. I have an 05 with Navi, meets all there requirements, but still doesnt work right. It will switch over to the CD-C, but there is no sound coming out.

Thanks for the pics, and the ideas, I love the switch Idea. Got the switch, now just have to have the time to do the work on it.

Great work!!!

Yes, the pie will retain the factory XM. The "CD" on the PIE controller will be your XM, then x1, x2, and x3 will be all aux inputs for whatever you want to add to it. See if you can invest in the PIE. I've had really good results with it...no complaints whatsoever and the sound is great as well! PM me if you have any other questions!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DCC
Yes, the pie will retain the factory XM. The "CD" on the PIE controller will be your XM, then x1, x2, and x3 will be all aux inputs for whatever you want to add to it. See if you can invest in the PIE. I've had really good results with it...no complaints whatsoever and the sound is great as well! PM me if you have any other questions!
But I dont want the little switcher thingy!!!!heheh I want it all clean and stock.

I am going to look into it. I have this one and have already installed it. I talked to Blitzsafe this morning, and they said they were working on it. They said a "week", not a lot of faith in that, but we shall see. They are going to send me the new update eeprom to replace the one I have. With some prethought, I was able to mount is so I could get to the box without taking everything in the car back out.

Again, thanks for all the help. And I still love the switch!!! I am going to try and work on mine tonight while I am at work.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
DCC
Instructor

cool...glad to hear that they are working on a "fix" for it. Hope all works out well for ya...let me know how it all turns out when you are done. Again, any questions in the future...hit me back!

dave

Quick Reply: VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD