VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the cut outs

Ok guys I know alot of you probably want a "DVD" button as bad as I do. So here you go. I got my hands on a few of the DVD logo's the size of the switch yesterday. I did the paint removal, sanding, wiped with alcohol to prep for the DVD vinyl and then sprayed. Let dry for 15 mins and used a razor blade and tweezers to pull the letters up with out damaging the paint job. I think it looks hot! Now I just gotta find the wiring scheme for the terminals since the harness is on back order. I will be selling these DVD logos for $5.00. If you are interested then Paypal me at aaron@aaronhuffman.net I will mail them out USPS in a standard envelope the same day. Enjoy..here are pics.

The 07 Foglight switch from an Accord.

After I sanded the top part of the paint off using really fine sandpaper.

Applied the DVD vinyl logo.

Waiting for the paint to dry. I used a "Semi Flat" black. The original black has a slight sheen to it.

Finally the Finished Product!
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
thats clean and looks nice
Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krmerritt
***Hope this helps. And continue to ask questions b/c this is a great mod if we can figure out the wiring.
as for the wiring, the 07 fog light switch is the following

pin 1 (red/black) positive illumination
pin 2 (green) fog light control
pin 3 (red) negative illumination
pin 4 (red/black) positive illumination
pin 5 (blue) fog light control

for the acura VAS switch

pin 1 (red/white) control
pin 2 (black) ground
pin 3 (red/black) positive illumination
pin 4 (red) negative illumination
pin 5 no connection
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Racer

how come there are 2 positive illumination connections? when you say "fog light control" is that the postive and neg?

Originally Posted by rbf351
as for the wiring, the 07 fog light switch is the following

pin 1 (red/black) positive illumination
pin 2 (green) fog light control
pin 5 (blue) fog light control

for the acura VAS switch

pin 1 (red/white) control
pin 2 (black) ground
pin 3 (red/black) positive illumination
pin 4 (red) negative illumination
pin 5 no connection
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by izmyttz
how come there are 2 positive illumination connections? when you say "fog light control" is that the postive and neg?
the reason is so the status indication will also go on, both goto the same place in the fuse box, and green and blue both goto the fog relay

looks as if those 2 are nothing more than a connection for the status indicator and an open/close for the realy which gets it power from a different location.

here is the 05 fog switch

pin 1 (Blue) power
pin 2 (Green) to fog relay
pin 5 (black) ground
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Racer

ok i have the 07 fog switch..are they the same? and as for pin1-5..how are you numbering them? I don't have the harness so I have to tap onto the pins them selves. Starting from the top of the switch to the bottom? thanks

Originally Posted by rbf351
the reason is so the status indication will also go on, both goto the same place in the fuse box, and green and blue both goto the fog relay

looks as if those 2 are nothing more than a connection for the status indicator and an open/close for the realy which gets it power from a different location.

here is the 05 fog switch

pin 1 (Blue) power
pin 2 (Green) to fog relay
pin 5 (black) ground
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
MAJOR WIRING DONE HORRIBLY WRONG.....so no one really figured out the wiring, so I tried to incorporate the wiring diagram of the 07 fog harness with how daman did. But his module is AV electronics, which has different wires than that of the dom's unit, anyways something happened and all my interior lights went out. I replace the fuse and it's working again, but I think doms unit is not working anymore because now my navigation TURNS ON when its not suppose to, and dom's unit is not switching back and forth anymore...wat could be the case?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
#TeamBoosted

I took apart the 07 fog switch and came to a surprise, the way its set up, pretty much when its pressed and the lil green light turns on, the navigation unit will turn on. When it is depressed, the dom unit will switch to dvd mode. Pretty much everything is totally backwards.

As I opened up the fog light switch, I found out that Pin 1 and 2 makes a complete circuit which means the two wires from the orginal dom's switch should be attached here...BUT here is the catch: Pin 1 is TAPPED into pin 4 (a wire coming out of pin 1 is looped into pin 4) so it needs to be disconnected from pin 4. This means there are two wires coming out of pin 4 so one needs to be disconnected, and that one is the one looping to pin 1. Once you disconnected that wire from pin 4, you attach it to either one of the wires of the dom's switch. The second wire from dom's switch connects to the green. Now Pin 3 of the fog light switch is splice to pin 4 of the vsa. Pin 4 of the fog light switch is splice to pin 3 of the vsa. Pin 5 (blue wire) goes to ground. THERE YOU HAVE IT....but after this diagram, you will notice that yet as mention above, when the button is pressed, navigation instead of dvd will turn on, and vice versa.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Racer

so you'd have to keep it pressed at all times and depress it for the dvd?

Originally Posted by TSXinity
I took apart the 07 fog switch and came to a surprise, the way its set up, pretty much when its pressed and the lil green light turns on, the navigation unit will turn on. When it is depressed, the dom unit will switch to dvd mode. Pretty much everything is totally backwards.

As I opened up the fog light switch, I found out that Pin 1 and 2 makes a complete circuit which means the two wires from the orginal dom's switch should be attached here...BUT here is the catch: Pin 1 is TAPPED into pin 4 (a wire coming out of pin 1 is looped into pin 4) so it needs to be disconnected from pin 4. This means there are two wires coming out of pin 4 so one needs to be disconnected, and that one is the one looping to pin 1. Once you disconnected that wire from pin 4, you attach it to either one of the wires of the dom's switch. The second wire from dom's switch connects to the green. Now Pin 3 of the fog light switch is splice to pin 4 of the vsa. Pin 4 of the fog light switch is splice to pin 3 of the vsa. Pin 5 (blue wire) goes to ground. THERE YOU HAVE IT....but after this diagram, you will notice that yet as mention above, when the button is pressed, navigation instead of dvd will turn on, and vice versa.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Racer

you say that a wire has to be disconnected....are you speaking in terms of the harness? or inside the switch they are looped? because i don't have a harness I shouldn't have to disconnect? thanks bro

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by izmyttz
you say that a wire has to be disconnected....are you speaking in terms of the harness? or inside the switch they are looped? because i don't have a harness I shouldn't have to disconnect? thanks bro

Ok, if you don't have a harness, look at your switch and know which pin are the correct numbers from left to right. Put the locking tab "on top" as reference and pin is labeled 12345 from left to right.

1.) Take either the red or black wire of the dom's toggle switch and put it in pin 1.
2.) Take the other wire of dom's switch and put it in pin 2.
3.) Get some wires to connect pin 3 of fog switch and splice with pin 4 wire of the vsa. (Again, pins of vsa switch are labeled the same way with the locking tab on top.)
4.) Use another wire and connect pin 4 of fog switch and splic with pin 3 wire of vsa.
5.) Connect pin 5 to ground. (this allows for the illumination of the switch and "on" light when pressed.

I don't know how daman did it with his AV electronics module, but the dom's module is built differently. I contacted dominic and he said that when the red and black wires of the toggle switch are touching one another, navigation is on. When the wires are separated, dvd mode is on. So basically if we are to use a different switch other than his toggle switch, everything will be backwards, meaning that you will have to keep the switch "on" and it "lit" to have navigation constantly, and depress the button to have dvd on. This will be annoying to see the light lit up on the switch for navigation. The only other method I see is to get or make a switch like DCC. However, if you don't want to do that, then take the "light up when pressed" bulb out so its not lit up when pressed. I may have to resort back to DCC switch.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
#TeamBoosted

Back to izmyttz question,

I'm speaking in terms of the harness. A wire is looped around from pin 1 to pin 4, possibly called a jumper cable that daman was referring to? anyways, it must be removed from pin 4 and connected to one of the wire of toggle switch. The other wire of pin 4 is for splicing with pin 3 wire of vsa.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
#TeamBoosted

Ok, I spoke to dominic once more and found out another interesting concept. Input 1 on the dom's module and input 2 on dom's module are completely reversed. So if you want the navigation mode to be on when switch is DEPRESSED and dvd mode to be on when switch is PRESSED, you will have to plug your dvd player video output to input 2 of the dom's module. This is only with 2007+ model cars that have the factory back up camera who really don't need input two. Once you do that, you will have to cut the red and black wire that connects to the toggle switch. NOTE: cut the red and black wires NEAREST the module, NOT near the toggle switch. The black wire goes to the blue wire of the module, and the red wire will go to 12 volt. The opposite ends of the black and red wire that orginally are attached to the toggle switch can be cut off and connected to the foglight switch as labeled above.

I'm not sure if you guys want to go this far, but this is really for those that wants the reversed functionality of their dvd foglight switch and that they dont' need the second input of the doms unit for their back up camera.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Ok, if you don't have a harness, look at your switch and know which pin are the correct numbers from left to right. Put the locking tab "on top" as reference and pin is labeled 12345 from left to right.

1.) Take either the red or black wire of the dom's toggle switch and put it in pin 1.
2.) Take the other wire of dom's switch and put it in pin 2.
3.) Get some wires to connect pin 3 of fog switch and splice with pin 4 wire of the vsa. (Again, pins of vsa switch are labeled the same way with the locking tab on top.)
4.) Use another wire and connect pin 4 of fog switch and splic with pin 3 wire of vsa.
5.) Connect pin 5 to ground. (this allows for the illumination of the switch and "on" light when pressed.
How come you are splicing into the VSA switch? is this to get 12v and the factory illumination function?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Unofficial Goat

I have a sneaking suspicion that if we use the interior foglight harness to grab the power and illumination circuits we would only have to slice the 2 wires for the dom unit. Here's a schematic of the 07 Accord foglight circuit.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by The Dougler
How come you are splicing into the VSA switch? is this to get 12v and the factory illumination function?

Just to get illumination. Must be grounded also!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
#TeamBoosted

Ok I have done the reversed operation of the 07 foglight switch and the cutting and spicing of the red and black wires to connect to the blue wire of doms'. I also put video from the dvd player to input 2 of the doms unit and everything worked out charmly. The foglight switch lit up perfectly when pressed, and dvd mode is on. When depressed, the light turns off and navigation mode is on. If you guys encounter any more problems or need further instructions, dont hesitate to ask or PM. :P
Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

how do you make the dvd decal. I already cleaned the cover already but i can't find any decal that says dvd. I went to local sticker, they said they couldn't make such a small picture. Please post where to get the dvd sign. I'm planning to have it done by next week-end so I can install my dvd. Thank you
Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by aphunx
how do you make the dvd decal. I already cleaned the cover already but i can't find any decal that says dvd. I went to local sticker, they said they couldn't make such a small picture. Please post where to get the dvd sign. I'm planning to have it done by next week-end so I can install my dvd. Thank you

You will have to go to any place that does custom signs and graphics. They pretty much find a dvd symbol online, copy it to their laser machine, and the machine laser cuts it out onto double sided vinyl. The user above "izmyttz" sells it for 5 dollars I do so believe. Contact him.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Racer

yup got like 5 left. $5

You will have to go to any place that does custom signs and graphics. They pretty much find a dvd symbol online, copy it to their laser machine, and the machine laser cuts it out onto double sided vinyl. The user above "izmyttz" sells it for 5 dollars I do so believe. Contact him.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Racer

paypal me $5 and I'll send one out ASAP!

Originally Posted by aphunx
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

i already pm izmyttz. I'm waiting for the the dacel to get here. the vsa switch only gonna cost you $13 + $5 for decal and $5 for the paint. total spent $25 including tax. I will post the picture once it done.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Racquetballer

anybody have pictures of how they wired the harness to the vsa switch? Just want to make sure I did this right. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Racquetballer

bump
Old 05-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Racquetballer

So right now, I've got my fog light harness all wired up except the blue wire. I've been told this needed to be grounded but when I do that, it switches back to my nav and dom's unit wont show up. The fog light lights up without the blue wire attached to anything but the indication light doesn't come on. So i fiddled around and found that when the blue wire is attached to either vsa wires # 3 or 4 (can't remember right now), the indication light comes on but doesn't go off when i switch btwn nav and dom's. I'm so close to having all this done and would love it if someone who has done this to chime in. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

- Kyle
Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 AM
#TeamBoosted

So right now, I've got my fog light harness all wired up except the blue wire. I've been told this needed to be grounded but when I do that, it switches back to my nav and dom's unit wont show up. The fog light lights up without the blue wire attached to anything but the indication light doesn't come on. So i fiddled around and found that when the blue wire is attached to either vsa wires # 3 or 4 (can't remember right now), the indication light comes on but doesn't go off when i switch btwn nav and dom's. I'm so close to having all this done and would love it if someone who has done this to chime in. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

- Kyle

Did you cut the wire that makes a loop from pin 1 to pin 4?
Note: When using the foglight switch, when the indicator light goes on, navigation is switched on. When you depress the foglight switch and indicator light goes off, dvd mode is on. Read my above posts carefully and do as I say. I layout the diagram for the switch without a harness and one with harness, and also the REVERSED way using input 2. And don't wire the blue wire to anything but ground. Before I knew anything, I fiddled around and short circuited my car, fried the input 1 of Doms, and all my dash lights went out. This is the reason I had to use input 2, but it was even better cuz everything was reversed, meaning as indicator light is on, dvd is on and vice versa.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 AM
#TeamBoosted

krmerritt, tell me exactly what you have done so far with your wiring and I'll see what you did wrong.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Unofficial Goat

TSXinity, from your pm I take it that for navi to pass through doms (displayed) the circuit has to be closed for the red and black wire, and to display vid it's open. Is that Correct?

also, on the lighting part of the fog switch, when the switch is pressed (light on) is that circuit open or closed? I don't have my switch yet so I can't bench test it myself. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by The Dougler
TSXinity, from your pm I take it that for navi to pass through doms (displayed) the circuit has to be closed for the red and black wire, and to display vid it's open. Is that Correct?

also, on the lighting part of the fog switch, when the switch is pressed (light on) is that circuit open or closed? I don't have my switch yet so I can't bench test it myself. Thanks.

yes. Pretty much put it this way: when the red wire touches the black wire, navigation is on. When the wires are separated, dvd (input 1) is switched on. The foglight switch is there to connect the wires when pressed, and separates the wires when depressed. Everything is reversed, which I did not like because I don't want the indication light to be on during navigation mode. Hence I used input 2 instead.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM
#TeamBoosted

Well I don't know how u view a circuit as closed or open, but when you press the switch and the light turns on, it means the red wire and black wires are touching, making a circuit. (In technical terms, the red wire is receiving 12 volts from the black wire, making navigation to be displayed)
Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Unofficial Goat

Well I don't know how u view a circuit as closed or open, but when you press the switch and the light turns on, it means the red wire and black wires are touching, making a circuit. (In technical terms, the red wire is receiving 12 volts from the black wire, making navigation to be displayed)
Circuit is open when the wires are not touching, closed when they are.

Here are a few simple pictures for everyone so we can all be on the same page.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Racer

i have an 06 with wendy's backup camera..so i need the switched input for my camera. I just decided to hook up the switch with the illumination when the headlights/parking lights are on but no indicator light. I didn't figure it mattered too much to me to have it. I mean it's obvious that if you don't have a navigation picture..then you must have the switch depressed. It works/looks great. I also found out that the VSA and the Trunk release have the same harnesses. So if you can find a wrecked TL then see if you can get one of these harnesses. It will make your install cleaner and easier. I have a guy that may be getting me a couple of these harnesses. If so I'll sell them to you guys for what I got them for. Just to help you guys out. I'll take pics. I decided to just go with a PS2 for now. It's under the driver side seat with my Ipod connector. I have an extra PS3 but I didn't feel like running a hot and a ground from the battery for the 1600watt power inverter
Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Unofficial Goat

I just ordered the 07 fog switch and harness. I'm going to use either Ipod's or a Mediagate for video, I still haven't decided.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Instructor

I'm in the works of getting my system together, but I had a quick question before I get the parts.

On the fog switch that everyone has been using, what color does the logo light up? I have an 08 Type-S where all the switches light up red, so I was just curious if it would match or not.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by roxxor
I'm in the works of getting my system together, but I had a quick question before I get the parts.

On the fog switch that everyone has been using, what color does the logo light up? I have an 08 Type-S where all the switches light up red, so I was just curious if it would match or not.

Thanks
It's green. When you get the switch you should be able to Disassemble it and depending on the light they used either replace the little green cover with a red on, or swap out the led/bulb.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor

So the On/Off light is green, and the DVD Logo would light up green with Headlights On? The logo color when headlights are on is the color I'm trying to ascertain please.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Racquetballer

Did you cut the wire that makes a loop from pin 1 to pin 4?
Note: When using the foglight switch, when the indicator light goes on, navigation is switched on. When you depress the foglight switch and indicator light goes off, dvd mode is on. Read my above posts carefully and do as I say. I layout the diagram for the switch without a harness and one with harness, and also the REVERSED way using input 2. And don't wire the blue wire to anything but ground. Before I knew anything, I fiddled around and short circuited my car, fried the input 1 of Doms, and all my dash lights went out. This is the reason I had to use input 2, but it was even better cuz everything was reversed, meaning as indicator light is on, dvd is on and vice versa.
I did cut the jumper per the instructions. One side in pin 4 I left attached and not connected to anything. I have the other side of the jumper (pin 2) hooked up to dom's switch and the green harness wire to dom's switch as well. I have my red harness wire connected to wire #4 of VSA switch. I have the red/black harness wire connected to wire #3 of VSA switch. The blue wire is not attached to anything. Right now, the backlight of the new button works when the lights are on but not the green indicator light. Thanks for any help.

- Kyle
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Unofficial Goat

I did cut the jumper per the instructions. One side in pin 4 I left attached and not connected to anything. I have the other side of the jumper (pin 2) hooked up to dom's switch and the green harness wire to dom's switch as well. I have my red harness wire connected to wire #4 of VSA switch. I have the red/black harness wire connected to wire #3 of VSA switch. The blue wire is not attached to anything. Right now, the backlight of the new button works when the lights are on but not the green indicator light. Thanks for any help.

- Kyle
Blue wire needs to be grounded.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Racquetballer

- Kyle

Please read my previous post. Everything is working fine right now without the blue wire attached but the indication light doesn't come on. When I ground the blue wire to anything metal in the car, it immediately switches from video to nav without having to push the button. Where have you grounded the blue wire?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
#TeamBoosted

Originally Posted by roxxor

Thanks

The fog light switch uses the same exact bulbs as the vsa switch. So if you want that red color, call your local acura and order an extra bulb of your vsa switch from the Type S and just swap it out on the foglight switch. I would leave the "on" indicator light green or you can change it out to "amber" to match the color of your heated outside mirror light when "on" or when you turn on your seat heaters and it lights up amber.

Quick Reply: VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD