Treo 650 - EVERY 1st call made from phone will not connect to Handsfree Link

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005 | 09:16 AM
Advanced

Treo 650 - EVERY 1st call made from phone will not connect to Handsfree Link

Hello

Is there anyone out there that can place a call from their phone immediately after starting a car and successfully have it automatically transfer to the HFL speakers?

MY PROBLEM:

I have 2 Treo 650s with Sprint and I have the same problem with both. Every time I get in the car, the first call I make from the phone will trigger the Handsfree Link for 1 sec or so and then transfer to the handset. If I say "transfer" it will transfer with no problem. The 2nd call will always work properly and connect immediately to the HFL. This is regardless of if I transfer the 1st call. Interestingly, if I make the call from the HFL voice dial or receive a call, it transfers on the first time automatically.

I have my phone set to allow wake up, discoverable, and have tried both enable and disable name cache.

Interestingly, the 1st time I paired the phone, it would never transfer automatically from the phone to the HFL. I deleted and re-paired and it worked. Weird.

I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

-Andy
Old 05-23-2005 | 10:31 AM
Black

Sorry if you have, but did you upgrade the software to version 1.08?

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/
Old 05-23-2005 | 10:45 AM
Racer

1.08 does nothing to address the bluetooth issue. In fact, I updated mine and the bluetooth is worse (probably not directly related to the patch, just some app glitch). It used to be that all I would need to do is make sure the screen was on and the car would link up, but now it doesn't link up at all unless I hit HFL and say "Next Phone". Then it will say, "No phones have been found, returning to the main menu" Then it links up while saying that.. go figure.
Old 05-23-2005 | 12:04 PM
Black

argh... sorry.
Old 05-23-2005 | 09:54 PM
Racer

Well all in all, the bluetooth on the Treo is very crippled. It could have been an awesome phone if Sprint didn't do this to the bluetooth!
Old 05-23-2005 | 10:39 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

While mine isn't the Sprint version, I'm having none of the issues you're describing. In fact, it just pairs up every time I get in the car with the phone in my pocket. The phone doesn't need to be on (the screen, that is) and it doesn't need to be discoverable, either. Once you've established the HFL as a "trusted device," you should be golden. One silly problem I'm having is that the phone sometimes doesn't release from the car's HFL when I get home at night and walk in the house. I got a phone call immediately after coming in and I found it was still paired to my car out in the garage.

I know you upgraded the firmware, but did you also apply the bluetooth/handsfree patch (found here)?
Old 05-23-2005 | 10:45 PM
Instructor

ahkim, i know exactly what youre talking about, i have the v710 (verizon) and the exact same thing happens to me. i wish i had an answer for you as to why this happens, but i dont. can anyone out there enlighten us?
Old 05-24-2005 | 02:35 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies and to answer your questions, I did not install the Sprint 1.08 update because the phone had it preinstalled. I had a Treo650 for 2 weeks over a month ago as a demo, and I had to install the 1.08 update to get it to work.

Shinj1EVA: Try to delete and repair your phone. If that doesnt work, try a hard reset of your phone and clear all phones from your car. That worked for me on my demo phone.

Bluenoise: I believe that the Bluetooth update you are referring to is part of the Sprint 1.08 update, am I wrong? While it is rare, I also have the same problem you have where the phone will stay connected to the car even after I turn it off. What I noticed about this is that it happens more often when I am near the car, it seems that even after the car is off, it is maintaining the HFL link. Finally, to confirm, are you able to make a call from the Treo and have it connect to the HFL and hold the conversation? If so, could this be a difference between the Sprint and GSM patch?

My last question to Sprint users: Are there any Sprint Treo 650 owners that do not have the problem I described in my first post?
Old 05-24-2005 | 02:44 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by ahkim
Bluenoise: I believe that the Bluetooth update you are referring to is part of the Sprint 1.08 update, am I wrong? While it is rare, I also have the same problem you have where the phone will stay connected to the car even after I turn it off. What I noticed about this is that it happens more often when I am near the car, it seems that even after the car is off, it is maintaining the HFL link. Finally, to confirm, are you able to make a call from the Treo and have it connect to the HFL and hold the conversation? If so, could this be a difference between the Sprint and GSM patch?
I don't think the BlueTooth patch is included in the firmware upgrade, but I could be wrong. It might be worth trying and see if it either helps or says you don't need it.

I can make and receive calls just fine using my Treo 650 with the HFL. I can also successfully transfer calls in progress from the handset to the HFL, but not necessarily the other way around.
Old 07-25-2005 | 04:36 PM
Pro

Same exact thing happens with my Verizon Treo 650.

Annoying yes...worst problem that can happen with the handsfree link and the treo....NO WAY!!
Old 07-25-2005 | 08:48 PM
10th Gear

The latest update for sprint is ver. 1.12

Originally Posted by Shinj1EVA
1.08 does nothing to address the bluetooth issue. In fact, I updated mine and the bluetooth is worse (probably not directly related to the patch, just some app glitch). It used to be that all I would need to do is make sure the screen was on and the car would link up, but now it doesn't link up at all unless I hit HFL and say "Next Phone". Then it will say, "No phones have been found, returning to the main menu" Then it links up while saying that.. go figure.
The latest updater for sprint 650s, version 1.12, claims to add support for more hands-free car kits, including Acura. I have this version on my phone.

I don't think I've experienced the problem you have, Ahkim, but what the problem I am experiencing is almost opposite to what you're describing. The first call I make has to be from the 650 and then transferred to the car. If I try to make a first call using HFL, either using voice dial or phonebook, my 650 resets as soon as the car tries to dial. But if my first call originates from the handset and is transferred to the car, the HFL works fine afterwards.

Another weird thing I get is this funky modem connection sound over my car speakers that lasts about 2-3 seconds whenever the car tries to dial my phone, whether it's successful or not.
Old 07-26-2005 | 06:22 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Same exact thing happens with my Verizon Treo 650.

Annoying yes...worst problem that can happen with the handsfree link and the treo....NO WAY!!
Do you have the new update ?

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ

Sure do. I updated the Treo. Got my new '05 TL on the 21st.
Old 10-29-2005 | 08:06 AM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Sure do. I updated the Treo. Got my new '05 TL on the 21st.

A couple of questions:

Do you have the Verizon update 1.03 or 1.04?

Does you MID show signal strength and/or the battery indicator?

Do you have the problem of your phone doing a soft reboot when you try to make a call?

I just got my treo650 Verizon 2 weeks ago and have been trying to trouble shoot and work through these issues, but so far, no luck.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Palm and basically got zero help. I knew more than they did about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.