Strange navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange navigation problem

So when I turn on my car (2007 TL), I get the classic "DVD disc reading error" message and the navigation doesn't work. This is very consistent in the area where I live.

However, I drive downstate once a month for the weekend. When I am down there (about 220 miles away), the system fires up without any problem. It works without any issue until I get to within about 40 miles of my house. I have tried this 5 times now and it always works down there but not up here.

Is there any reason why it would be limited to only one particular geographical area? I thought maybe the disc was bad, but it doesn't appear to be scratched. I'm thinking it's not the reader or the GPS antenna because it works downstate just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Where do you live?
(Assuming you are not in Richmond, VA.)

Is the Navi DVD the original one that came with the car?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Where do you live?
(Assuming you are not in Richmond, VA.)

Is the Navi DVD the original one that came with the car?
I'm in northeastern Illinois. Yes it is the original DVD.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by NatGuard804
So when I turn on my car (2007 TL), I get the classic "DVD disc reading error" message and the navigation doesn't work. This is very consistent in the area where I live.

However, I drive downstate once a month for the weekend. When I am down there (about 220 miles away), the system fires up without any problem. It works without any issue until I get to within about 40 miles of my house. I have tried this 5 times now and it always works down there but not up here.

Is there any reason why it would be limited to only one particular geographical area? I thought maybe the disc was bad, but it doesn't appear to be scratched. I'm thinking it's not the reader or the GPS antenna because it works downstate just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
a low battery can cause the DVD drive to not boot properly and display the message. After I got a new battery in my TL the problem went away for a year and came back. The long drive you go on probably charges the battery very well!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:21 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
a low battery can cause the DVD drive to not boot properly and display the message. After I got a new battery in my TL the problem went away for a year and came back. The long drive you go on probably charges the battery very well!
I actually replaced the battery not too long ago and it's good.

It always go out right around the same area on the tollway when I'm driving back.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I actually replaced the battery not too long ago and it's good.

It always go out right around the same area on the tollway when I'm driving back.

Thanks!
perhaps the dvd is reading data on a portion of the disk which it can't access for some reason. Sometimes the actuator that moves the laser fails so the laser can only move so far.

When you hit the area it can read it turns on, once you leave that area it shuts off.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
perhaps the dvd is reading data on a portion of the disk which it can't access for some reason. Sometimes the actuator that moves the laser fails so the laser can only move so far.

When you hit the area it can read it turns on, once you leave that area it shuts off.
I had thought of that too. Once in a while when I turn it on, the map will load with a location in the same general area (not exact) but the error will quickly come up.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts

However, I drive downstate once a month for the weekend. When I am down there (about 220 miles away), the system fires up without any problem.
Check to see if any of the cities or towns in the area where you live are in the Navi DVD's database. If not, get an updated white Navi disc.

Assuming it is not a database error where the area where you live is not on the DVD, I would try cleaning the reader lens. For instructions on cleaning, see: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...errors-873489/ .
Old 05-14-2016, 02:21 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Check to see if any of the cities or towns in the area where you live are in the Navi DVD's database. If not, get an updated white Navi disc.

Assuming it is not a database error where the area where you live is not on the DVD, I would try cleaning the reader lens. For instructions on cleaning, see: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...errors-873489/ .
Thanks. That seems like the next logical step. The area is definitely in the database. It used to work without any issue around here up until about 7 or 8 months ago.