Problem with Dom's Unit. Too much bass in the trunk??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Problem with Dom's Unit. Too much bass in the trunk??

I am going through one of those times I'm sure many of you guys have experienced.....Everything on your car is perfect and you are happy.....Then 1 by 1 everything is going wrong all at once!! My Dom's unit has conked out, one of my rear headrest LCDs is blanked out now and my switchback LEDs in the front are flickering and on their way out.......Has my car been struck by lightning or something???

OK so let's talk about my Dom's unit. Working fine for about 1 year. Then about 3 months ago I noticed that sometimes my backup camera would not come on. But 75% of the time it would turn on so I didn't make a big deal about it. I thought maybe there was a loose connection somewhere. Now all of a sudden the unit started to flicker and then turn off. I noticed it was related to the action of my subs. Mind you my subs are ridiculously loud 1000 watt suckers. (It even rattles the ports, I had to take them out and now even the SCREWS are backing out of them!!) Everytime the bass hits the unit flickers on. I went back to the unit (I mounted it above and to the left of the nav unit like everyone else.) I checked the wiring and the grounds were sound and all the wiring was perfect. I tapped the unit and I noticed it would come on and off. I realized this has to be something minor related to some loose solder or maybe something related to the power supply of the unit. Being that my unit was out of warranty anyways I decided to investigate by opening. I found there is a coil (I don't know what it is called I am not knowledgeable in electronics theory.) near the DC input jack I am sure that is related to power supply. I applied pressure on it and the unit stayed on. I realized this was the culprit, perhaps it was not making contact with the circuit board and was displaced because of vibrations from the crazy bass from my system. I put everything back and it worked for awhile but with the bass it turned off again. Opened the box again and now I can't get it to work at all. I didn't smell anything burned. Whatever it is I know it is a minor power supply problem , I just don't know how else to test/repair it.

I called TVandNav2go and they said it is out of warranty and would swap it out for a new one for $75. I wouldn't hesitate if I totally toasted my unit. Thing is I know this repair really can't cost more than $10. It is such a waste because the rest of the unit is functional. I even agreed to go down in person and see if they could do a repair onsite but they send all their units somewhere abroad and don't do any repairs at all. This SUCKS!

I checked the yellowpages etc. apparently nobody is in the business of fixing small electronics anymore! Anybody out there that would know a place I can get this fixed? I know it's not more than a 5 minute job.......Or better yet, anyone in the NY/CT area with some basic electronics knowledge willing to help me out? I am telling you, it must be something simple. I have the unit completely out now and sitting here. All I need is 12V power going into it.....Help!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-23-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM
King of NYC

anybody??
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you mind taking a picture of the inside and posting it?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
hmmm, that is very odd.... do you have a capicator installed for your sound system?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 PM
King of NYC

Yeah I do have a 1.5 farad cap.....what would that have to do with it? The problem is the power supply inside Dom's unit.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by Porkipine
do you mind taking a picture of the inside and posting it?

OK I opened it up to let you guys have a look. The red arrow is pointing to the part I was talking about. This coil is a part I see in many electronics. I know it's related to the power supply of the unit, I just don't know what it is called. Anyways I pushed down on this part (towards the circuit board) and the unit stayed on. I assume it had loose contact. It worked like this a few days but it didn't last for long. I opened the unit again to try my trick again but now it won't turn on again. Because of this I think it's still some minor problem.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
King of NYC

Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
go to a Sound Shop on 10th Ave between 212th and 213th Street in Manhattan... they have a technician there that can fix ANYTHING electronic... Ask for Rob and tell him i sent you... he'll hook you up with the Technician...

Good Luck...
Old 09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
King of NYC

OK Rodney, sounds like a plan! I'll go see him, hopefully he won't charge me much?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:39 PM
King of NYC

Hey do you have a phone number or something b4 I head out there, (I'm comin from CT) just want to make sure a tech. is available. What is the name of the place? I googled it and I see a big parking lot there.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
King of NYC

Aight man, got it, it's next to the parking lot.....(HOLY CRAP you GOTTA love street-view on googlemaps!!!) I see a red canopy that reads "somethin...auto sound" with some green neon in the window....lol.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
King of NYC

OK, so I went to that store a couple weeks ago. I just have to say thanks a lot to Rodney for the referral. You just seem to know where all the spots are in NYC! The name of the store is Quesqueya Auto Sound and the address is 3988 10th ave. The guys there are great and can do anything for real!

The tech was a little confused at first but I worked with him. I told him where to look and what was wrong. He resoldered a couple things and voila! It turned on!

So I took the unit home and tried to hook it back up. OK so now at least it powers up and I can allow the Nav to bypass and show up on the LCD screen. At least it is allowing a signal now but it is NOT switching over to the DVD with the switch. But it is not the switch's fault because it isn't automatically switching over to backup camera either. I have a feeling this unit is toast. Or maybe it's my wiring? I can't tell, I tested and rewired everything 4 times. (I am such a pro now I could probably wire up someone's car in 2 hrs. lol.)

Instead of just forking over $75 for an exchange, I am going to go to Brooklyn myself next week and meet the big man Dom himself. I talked to him and he invited me by. I want to see if it is indeed the unit that is the problem or the wiring in my car. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-22-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
why can't people just get to the point and say what is on their mind without gabbing your ear off and wasting your time? Such as "Once upon a time, I had everything right with my car and then things started to fall apart".. BLHA BLAH BLAH!!!! spare me the details. I dont need your life story. hahaha
Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
King of NYC

Hey "Chad" you don't have to participate on this thread if you don't want to...Sue me if I am intellectual, detail oriented and I actually have a vocabulary. If you can't understand my english I can't help you. I wasn't gabbing your ear off, trust me I wouldn't try. (ears don't taste so great anyways.) If you aren't interested in this interesting thread go find another one. Who put a gun to your head to read this one?

If you know anything about a car you will realize that a lot of us can relate to these problems. This thread will be archived and maybe someone else who faces the same problem will find a solution on this thread. Over the years I have contributed to this forum and many will attest to my contributions, trust me. We all help each other out. I have never seen you contribute a useful thread. That makes your comments useless. So go troll around elsewhere and find something else better to do.

Post #1921 vs. Post #6......HA! Get lost buddy we know what your intentions are! Letting your life's frustrations out on the internet?

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-23-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Rockyfeller...

Sorry I missed your requests for additional help/information... I'm glad I was able to lead to a good spot... it's a small spot but the business they produce is insane... sometimes I chill there and they do at least 20 cars... sometimes I even freelance and help them with installs while I'm there... Good people over there... and their prices can't be beat...

Keep us updated on your results...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
King of NYC

Exactly I saw that, it's like a car accessory assembly line. They do the work right on the street. I saw them pull interiors apart do the work and send them out in 30 minutes! They are fast, I am sure if you sat there for a couple hours you'd learn a LOT about installs. Nice place to hang out and they don't overprice at all. It's hard to find shops like this nowadays with honest to goodness hard work. With all the fancy "boutiques" popping up all over the place catering to Range Rovers, Aston Martins and Bentleys charging arms and legs for the same work because they are fancy on the outside.

I like that TSV logo BTW.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-23-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
King of NYC

Just as an update I'll just say all is well now! I went to Dom's place. Looks like he has basically closed down his operations and turned his place into a laundrymat! He still does some work out of there and has a small office but if you saw the place from the outside you'd never tell it's there! They were crazy busy there. They tested it and it has some internal problem. I was tired of playing with this, so I just paid $75 for a core exchange and got a new unit. I reset a 1 yr warranty, hooked it up and all is well again!!!

One of my LCD screens from Pyle conked out too. Their office was just 2 miles away and it was still under warranty. I knew it was a minor problem. I guess it goes without saying you pay what you get for! I knew Pyle was crap, I just bought it because I got a crazy price on it. I went there and they were CRAZY RUDE!! Typical NY style toughguy talk. I guess they are too used to customers walking in and complaining about the crap products they sell. Well I had to switch into Brooklynmode and stood my ground. They fixed it in about 3 hours, loose solder somewhere, didn't pay a dime. Their customer service is HORRIBLE. It was tough to stay in a good mood that whole day. Thank God I know how to dish attitude right back!

So I have my whole AV setup working 100% again, hooray!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 11-07-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

well dom is no longer a vendor here, replacing him is navtool.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
King of NYC

6 months ago my PYLE LCD screen went out AGAIN but got it fixed again under warranty. This time it was a more major part on the board but it works good and the Dom's is working fine too.

I saw the new Navtool vendors stuff. These casings all look the same. You can see similar units all over the internet. It seems as if they are coming from a similar source (perhaps from overseas??) If so I guess it is a pretty profit. Are there any differences on the internals? Because according to my experience, they aren't as bulletproof as I thought they would be.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question....with Dom's unit..I guess it's now called tvandnav2go, are there adjustments for color/contrast/light, etc...Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by andreythedon
Question....with Dom's unit..I guess it's now called tvandnav2go, are there adjustments for color/contrast/light, etc...Thanks
There are adjustments for contrast and brightness, not sure about color...