Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

I've noticed that from time to time, my iPod will skip with the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y adapter that I have. I recently upgraded from the original USA Spec adapter and I didn't have this issue with the old adapter.

By skipping I mean, randomly, the iPod will stop, play again for about 2 seconds, stop once more, and play again. It's really weird and really bothering me.

Anyone else having this same issue? Maybe I should report this to USA Spec especially since this is the version of the adapter that was supposedly fixed from all the bugs of the old version and the older version didn't even have this issue at all.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Pro

Am I the only one having this issue with their USA Spec HON2Y then?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Dreamer

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Am I the only one having this issue with their USA Spec HON2Y then?
Yeah... I'm having the exact same issue with the HON2Y.. no idea why. It will skip once, then play, then skip once more. The frequency seems to be about once every 3 - 4 times i turn on the car and never more than once per boot-up. Or possibly only once per time I plug the iPod in. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KC-Dub
Yeah... I'm having the exact same issue with the HON2Y.. no idea why. It will skip once, then play, then skip once more. The frequency seems to be about once every 3 - 4 times i turn on the car and never more than once per boot-up. Or possibly only once per time I plug the iPod in. Any ideas?
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this issue. It's really annoying though and I'm thinking about just going back to the old USA Spec adapter, the regular HON2. Even though that was the bugged version, none of the bugs were really that bothersome and it definitely didn't do this skipping thing.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
7th Gear

I'm having the exact same problem also. I thought i'm just having a connection problem or i didn't install it right. but now u said u didn't have this problem with the old version...hm......
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro

Actually I've been meaning to bring up the same issue. If you wtach the top display when this happens, you actually see that the USASpec is loosing connection to the headunit, the CDC and disc indicator goes away and quickly comes back during each "skip".

And I can confirm this is also an issue soley with the USASpec, not the ipod, as it happens even when listening to the aux input of the USASpec.

I have been meaning to contact them about it but just haven't had the chance. For now I am living with it.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro

Oh man, looks like everyone is having this problem then. What are you guys planning on doing?

Honestly, I'm thinking about just going back to the old adapter.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro

Alright so I talked with the Tech Engineer at USA Spec and he said that one other person had reported this same issue to him and that they are looking into resolving and fixing the problem now. The tech engineer believes that it's not an issue with all the HON2y units that they shipped out since only one other person has reported it. It might just be a bug with certain units but they'll be figuring that out too.

He told me to call back in about 3-4 weeks and that they'll have some sort of resolution at that point. I'll call them around that time frame and post back on this thread to give everyone an update. I'm guessing that if they fix the problem, we're gonna have to send back our units and they're gonna update the software again.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro

Yeah, I've been just living with it so I will wait until we have some confirmation of a fix.

Thanks for calling.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Yeah, I've been just living with it so I will wait until we have some confirmation of a fix.

Thanks for calling.
No problem. Looks like all of us who are experiencing this problem have to live with it until they figure out a solution.

I'll let everyone know once the updated version is ready to go.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine about 2 months ago and have not had this problem. Was this issue experienced immediately after installation or did it take some time to occur?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by xavier25
I got mine about 2 months ago and have not had this problem. Was this issue experienced immediately after installation or did it take some time to occur?
Mine was immediate.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
7th Gear

Mine was immediate.
so was my
Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Racer

funny you bring that up because I've noticed a brief maybe half second pause every now and then, but didn't think much of it.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
funny you bring that up because I've noticed a brief maybe half second pause every now and then, but didn't think much of it.
Yeh, at first it didn't get to me and I thought something just happened with the connection in my radio but then it kept reoccurring over and over. What a crappy glitch for an updated version of an already bugged adapter
Old 11-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Alright so I talked with the Tech Engineer at USA Spec and he said that one other person had reported this same issue to him and that they are looking into resolving and fixing the problem now. The tech engineer believes that it's not an issue with all the HON2y units that they shipped out since only one other person has reported it. It might just be a bug with certain units but they'll be figuring that out too.
I think if everyone reports to USA Spec about the issue, they would have a better perception of its severity (and hopefully work harder on a fix).

slimmyjimmy, do you have a direct number to the Tech Engineer that you spoke to?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:11 PM
TCU Frogs!

slimmyjimmy,

i also have the same problem. sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your usaspec as much. hope things are well.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Instructor

same here, I am having the exact same problem. Who can I talk to at usa spec?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by datmrman
I think if everyone reports to USA Spec about the issue, they would have a better perception of its severity (and hopefully work harder on a fix).

slimmyjimmy, do you have a direct number to the Tech Engineer that you spoke to?

I DEFINITELY agree. I think if more people escalate it and talk to this service guy, he'll see the severity of it more. It seemed like because I was only one of two people that called in about it, it didn't seem as pressing to the Tech Engineer to get it resolved quickly.

For anyone who's experiencing this problem, let's all call this Tech Engineer at USA Spec and bother the heck out of him haha

The number to USA Spec is (626) 336-3836. The name of the Tech Engineer is Jimmy so when you call, you should ask to speak specifically with him.

Let's get this issue resolved fast!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by warrior15r
same here, I am having the exact same problem. Who can I talk to at usa spec?
Look at my post above
Old 11-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Where are ya'll ordering the HON2Y Adapteres from?

Jimmy, I know you got yours from Crutchfield ... but where did other people get their HON2Y adapter that they are experiencing problems?

I want to order one now ... but want to try and order it from a different source to hopefully not get a faulty one, ya know?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 11-25-2006, 06:26 PM
9th Gear

It seem a lot of people are having problems with the USAspec. Mine is also similar, I just got mine installed by a car stereo shop. At first i thought it was the installer problems, they might have made a bad connection. Another problem that i have with the USAspec is the NAV, the NAV freeze when there are no audio display on the panel ( CDC ). When there is CDC display the navigation works normal. DO any of you guys have this problem? I'm currently using the ipod video b/c i have video conversion. I'm planning to take it back to the shop soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Advanced

I have had the USAspec HON2Y installed for about two weeks (06 TL W/Navi) and I haven't had this "pause" problem while in CD-C mode. But today I had the pausing problem that you guys are talking about while listning to XM. It was intermitting and it happened about 5 or 6 times within 30 minutes. The audio will pause for just a second or two then you hear like a blip of audio and then it will return to normal. I checked all of my connections to make sure that something wasn't loose, but everything was fine. How could this unit effect XM when the Y connection is straight through? anyone else having this problem?

Got my unit from ENFIG
Old 11-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Instructor

got mine from Al & Eds Autosound: HOND2Y
Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
Jimmy, I know you got yours from Crutchfield ... but where did other people get their HON2Y adapter that they are experiencing problems?

I want to order one now ... but want to try and order it from a different source to hopefully not get a faulty one, ya know?

Thanks,
Nick
I feel ya Nick. Actually, I got the original unit from Crutchfield. The HON2 and not the HON2y. I got the HON2y from USA Spec directly after calling them and having them send me a HON2y unit after putting down an advance deposit of $90. After I received the HON2y unit, I sent back in my HON2 unit and they refunded back $78 of the cost to my Paypal account.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tran10
It seem a lot of people are having problems with the USAspec. Mine is also similar, I just got mine installed by a car stereo shop. At first i thought it was the installer problems, they might have made a bad connection. Another problem that i have with the USAspec is the NAV, the NAV freeze when there are no audio display on the panel ( CDC ). When there is CDC display the navigation works normal. DO any of you guys have this problem? I'm currently using the ipod video b/c i have video conversion. I'm planning to take it back to the shop soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Whoa....that's another huge bug. I don't think I've paid attention to that cause whenever the CD-C loses connection with the iPod and this skipping occurs, I'm normally too annoyed by the skipping that I don't even pay attention to the Nav screen. I'll take a look at the Nav screen the next time this happens and I'll see if I run into the same issue.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
I have had the USAspec HON2Y installed for about two weeks (06 TL W/Navi) and I haven't had this "pause" problem while in CD-C mode. But today I had the pausing problem that you guys are talking about while listning to XM. It was intermitting and it happened about 5 or 6 times within 30 minutes. The audio will pause for just a second or two then you hear like a blip of audio and then it will return to normal. I checked all of my connections to make sure that something wasn't loose, but everything was fine. How could this unit effect XM when the Y connection is straight through? anyone else having this problem?

Got my unit from ENFIG
I think it's because your XM is connected through the USA Spec unit. It doesn't really surprise me that this same issue is occurring for you since both XM and the iPod are basically feeding off the same port on the back of the radio.

Geez.....I really hope that they fix this problem soon.

Everyone call USA Spec and bother the heck out of them!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 PM
9th Gear

Oh man this sucks, i just found out that the function buttons is not cause by the USAspec but by something else, i think it might be Dom's dvd2Nav Unit. I'm definite that the pause is cause by the USAspec though. Do any of you guys have the Nav froze screen problems? Hopefully i can fix it, another big headach with this dvd2Nav conversion.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Tint The Windshield

Dang, this makes me not want to get the stinken' HON adapter now ...

Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Pro

Hey Nick,

I would wait until USA Spec fixes this issue with the HON2y. Other than this issue, I haven't really seen anything major.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Tint The Windshield

Dang it, I was going to try and get it installed at the same time my headunit is getting replaced, but I guess I might as well wait now. Dang it that sucks.

Is there any good DIY for taking about the center console, etc. to get behind the radio to install the HON adapter whenever I get it?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
Dang it, I was going to try and get it installed at the same time my headunit is getting replaced, but I guess I might as well wait now. Dang it that sucks.

Is there any good DIY for taking about the center console, etc. to get behind the radio to install the HON adapter whenever I get it?
I remember JMBNova having a pretty good one out there for the center console area in his short shifter installation. It has really good pics for reference too. You can probably find the thread easily by doing a search.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Called USA-Spec tech support today and taked to three different people before they finally gave me the contacted info for there "engineer". The guy's name is Jim and his number is (626) 890-6410. So I talked to Jim and he said that he is aware of this problem and that they "should have a resolution in about three weeks". I think that we should bug the hell out of these people so that three weeks dosen't turn into six months or a year! I plan on calling them every week until I get some satisfaction.

USA-Spec Tech Support #(626) 336-3836
Jim "Engineer" Cell # (626) 890-6410
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
Called USA-Spec tech support today and taked to three different people before they finally gave me the contacted info for there "engineer". The guy's name is Jim and his number is (626) 890-6410. So I talked to Jim and he said that he is aware of this problem and that they "should have a resolution in about three weeks". I think that we should bug the hell out of these people so that three weeks dosen't turn into six months or a year! I plan on calling them every week until I get some satisfaction.

USA-Spec Tech Support #(626) 336-3836
Jim "Engineer" Cell # (626) 890-6410
Yeh, that's the same guy I talked to and the same exact response I got from him too. I agree with you. All of us should call in and bug the heck out of them to make sure that they actually do get the issue resolved in three weeks and not like six months or a year like you said.

I'll also call in every week
Old 11-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

I remember JMBNova having a pretty good one out there for the center console area in his short shifter installation. It has really good pics for reference too. You can probably find the thread easily by doing a search.
Take a look at my DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install
You can find jmbnova's short shifter thread in there as well.

Everyone else, good luck with USA Spec!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by datmrman
Take a look at my DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install
You can find jmbnova's short shifter thread in there as well.

Everyone else, good luck with USA Spec!
Thanks for giving the exact thread location datmrman!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

No problem. Please keep us updated on this issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:57 PM
TSX Enthusiast

Hey guys-
So, I'm about to buy a USA SPEC PA11-HON2 or HON2y for my '04 TSX w/ navi.

I don't ever use XM/Sirius. Which adapter should I buy? I really don't want skipping...

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM
TSX Enthusiast

Hey guys-
So, I'm about to buy a USA SPEC PA11-HON2 or HON2y for my '04 TSX w/ navi.

I don't ever use XM/Sirius. Which adapter should I buy? I really don't want skipping...

Also, anyone know of the cheapest/easiest place to buy online or in San Diego?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Seanus,
Take a look at this link

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/17-oem-cl-type-s-rims-sale-145820/

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y