Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning to install an ipod hon2y. does anyone if the skipping issue has been sloved?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ezland00
I am planning to install an ipod hon2y. does anyone if the skipping issue has been sloved?
Read my post . . . 3 above yours.

-Brian
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Purchased hon2y from cruthfield on June 18th and it skips like everyone else says. It happens randomly. I probably have about 8 hours of playtime on it so far and it has skipped about 5 times.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Instructor

I am wondering if it will skip if you unplug the XM from the Y connector. Has anyone tried that??
Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by borgit
I am wondering if it will skip if you unplug the XM from the Y connector. Has anyone tried that??

Since I don't use XM, I disconnected it this morning. Will test drive/listen for a week and report back the results.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Yeah, I've got a feeling it has something to do with XM running off of the same wire, since the previous model of the USA Spec, the one that didn't come with the Y connector, apparently had no problems with skipping.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLscrappy
Since I don't use XM, I disconnected it this morning. Will test drive/listen for a week and report back the results.
So I disconnected the XM from the y connector. The next two mornings I had the skipping problem within 5 minutes of playtime. That was the last of the skipping. Especially since I order and replaced the USAspec with a Dice R4 kit. Sound is much clearer and I like the Artist/Album/title displayed on the navi screen.

Good luck in what ever you do! BTW I have a USAspec for sale.

Scrap
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Seems like the USAspec unit is buggy. Where/for how much did you buy the DICE unit, I am in the market for one myself?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
my USAspec unit make a hissing whining noise today.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Racer

I saw a post of Ipod setup, but i couldn't find it anymore. The ipod holder was mounted to the trim. it was very clean setup. anyone know what i'm talking about?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ezland00
I saw a post of Ipod setup, but i couldn't find it anymore. The ipod holder was mounted to the trim. it was very clean setup. anyone know what i'm talking about?
http://www.proclipusa.com/ ??
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

http://www.diceelectronics.com/

It was $199 shipped.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My USASpec unit also skips like everyone else. Adding myself to this list in case some new development happens. Looks more like something I'm going to have to live with though. I also noticed mine making some hissing/whining noise today too. Wonder what that is.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Pro

Get The DICE iPod Adapter!!!

Hey guys,

I recommend getting the DICE iPod adapter in place of the USA Spec. I just replaced my USA Spec adapter today cause I was tired of waiting for USA Spec to come through and I was also getting really annoyed of the bugs.

The DICE unit works great and it does everything the USA Spec adapter plus more.

So in summary, forget USA Spec. Get the DICE!!!

(I sound like a DICE salesman haha )
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Hey guys,

I recommend getting the DICE iPod adapter in place of the USA Spec. I just replaced my USA Spec adapter today cause I was tired of waiting for USA Spec to come through and I was also getting really annoyed of the bugs.

The DICE unit works great and it does everything the USA Spec adapter plus more.

So in summary, forget USA Spec. Get the DICE!!!

(I sound like a DICE salesman haha )
Was thinking about it, but according to the DICE salesguy who is on these boards, you lose functionality of the iPhone (i.e. no direct mode). That was a deal breaker for me.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by millerrh
Was thinking about it, but according to the DICE salesguy who is on these boards, you lose functionality of the iPhone (i.e. no direct mode). That was a deal breaker for me.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe they'll add that functionality in the future.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Sorry to hear that. Maybe they'll add that functionality in the future.
If/when they do, I might be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Maybe they'll come out with an official "Made for iPhone" version so you don't get the warning every time you plug it in.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by millerrh
If/when they do, I might be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Maybe they'll come out with an official "Made for iPhone" version so you don't get the warning every time you plug it in.

aaaah! I'm not a sales guy :p

We're still seeing if it's possible. I did learn a cool trick however from one of the members here. When you're on the iPod screen of the iPhone, you can hold down the home key for 6 seconds and you'll gain control of the music from the phone - but you'll then lose it from the car.

As for the message, I haven't seen the details from Apple yet personally, but from what I've read they want a nice chunk of change for the chip to get rid of that message. I'm not going to be happy if adding this chip would force us to raise the price.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE

We're still seeing if it's possible. I did learn a cool trick however from one of the members here. When you're on the iPod screen of the iPhone, you can hold down the home key for 6 seconds and you'll gain control of the music from the phone - but you'll then lose it from the car.

As for the message, I haven't seen the details from Apple yet personally, but from what I've read they want a nice chunk of change for the chip to get rid of that message. I'm not going to be happy if adding this chip would force us to raise the price.
Well, please let me know whatever the final/official version ends up being. For now, I love having the ability to choose artist, album, playlist, etc. on my iPhone and then also be able to skip songs using my steering wheel, even if it does mean it pauses every once and awhile. If I can get something that works perfectly, I'd be more than willing to put the USASpec on ebay.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro

It's a really good thing we have a DICE representative here haha
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

This stinks, I've been wanting to order this unit but held off to see if the bugs were fixed.
I can't believe not much has changed yet.
For an 04' TL with NAV, does anyone know what the major difference is (that I will notice) with the current Dice model over this one?

THX
Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Cruisin'

05 TL w. Nav
5th Gen 80Gig Ipod
Hon2y adaptor
Purchased from discountcarstereo.com
I use the direct mode and i exprience the paired skipping as well. Any updates to fixes?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

I emailed USA Spec and got the following answer - can anyone confirm?
> The skipping issue has been resolved with a software update a little
while ago.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

from where?

update from Apple or from USA Spec?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

DICE not the answer for me

I'm glad some of you are finding the dice module your answer. However, I've tried two DICE modules (with a Honda 2007 Pilot not an acura but it's the same dice module recommended for both) and have had a problem with the unit not registering on start up about 50% of the time. When it registers all is great, but when it doesn't you have NO ability to play the ipod until you keep turning off the ignition and restarting it as many times as it takes to make it register. This is often 5-8 times and sometimes after that I just give up and play cd's.

Not only have both the two I've tried have this problem but I've read on this blog where several others have the problem too.

http://pintmaster.com/20061105/dice-...-honda-accord/

If Nick can comment on this issue (soon because I have to return the 2nd unit within 9 more days and even then they want to charge me a 25% restocking fee on a DEFECTIVE unit because they say it's my radio that is defective) I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Instructor

i have the Hon2y in an 07 TLS. no skipping but i can't figuire out the jumpers. I had a Hon2 (no y) on an 06 performed differently.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I don't know if I posted this before, but I know why the IPOD skips, its a fairly simple problem. I got my unit from crutchfield. Anyway, when the connector is loose on the bottom of the IPOD, make sure it is firmly attached and does not move at all otherwise it skips, but unplug and replug firmly gets it to work.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE

Do you think there will be a similar issue with the new ipod Touch? Im just waiting for you guys to get your hands on it when it ships out and have a official announcement that it is fully compatible. Like other ipod products how long does the average test phase take?
Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced

I've had the USA Spec in my '05 TL for a very long time now. Seems like the skips are less frequent, but they definitely happen no matter which flavor of iPod I attach.

Last week a brand new glitch popped up. I've completely lost control over my in-dash 6 disk CD player. The TL no longer loads or ejects CDs at all. It is as though it is permanently in CD Changer/USA Spec mode when I push the CD button. AM/FM/XM all work fine and so does the iPod.

Any ideas? I'm going in for service next week and I'm going to have the dealer "reboot" the car by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Mine is still skipping as well. I emailed USA Spec last year when I installed it and never got a response. Just emailed them again last week and STILL no response. Anybody have a phone number for these guys? They don't post one on their web site yet they don't answer their emails.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Mine is still skipping as well. I emailed USA Spec last year when I installed it and never got a response. Just emailed them again last week and STILL no response. Anybody have a phone number for these guys? They don't post one on their web site yet they don't answer their emails.
Search this thread, it's there somewhere along with the guy's name...or PM Slimmyjimmy
Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

I finally called tech support and am sending mine back for warranty work. Specifically, they are going to upgrade the software (hybrid mode!) and give me a new ipod cable.

I am having the skipping and the unbalanced sound problems.

Unfortunately, the tech said they have been trying all year to reproduce the problem but they cannot do it. Thus, they have no fix in sight. It's apparently mostly affecting the 2006ish TLs with Nav.

This is very disappointing, as this was the best product out at the time for me.

I haven't researched these things for a while, but the A-list of features for me remains
- Flawless audio
- Steering wheel controls
- Song info on the stereo readout
- Nav integration

Hope something better has come out.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
^^^^^
Nope, skips in 04's as well, but it happens so rarely and for such a short time that I haven't even worried about it. If they come up with a fix, I'll bug them for it, but until then it's just not a big issue with me. It's a fantastic product except for that minor (for me) problem.

I've never had the unbalanced problem and I do think that is more a problem with 06 and beyond.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
10th Gear

Just installed and within 5 minutes I started getting the skip. Hmmm kinda annoying. We need to bombard Jimmy at USA Spec. His number was on the 1st page.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
10th Gear

Just called and spoke to USA Spec. They said they will get back to me. I have tried 3 different ipods and the skipping is always the same and VERY frequent. On each song I will get 3 skips, the 1st and 2nd about 1 second skips back to back and then the third is 6 seconds. It will always occur in this sequence but will occur a random number of times. Sometime once per song, other times 3-5 times per song....VERY FREAKIN ANNOYING. I will keep everyone posted. BTW I have an 08 TL no NAV
Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

I have this model installed on my 2007 TL w/ Navi and not only have I experienced the skipping everyone is talking about, mine doesn't want to seem to want to switch to CD-C mode anymore.

The problems started when I bought a new sixth generation 160gb iPod. The functionality from before mostly worked but often I wouldn't be able to take it out of random mode on the sixth, whole music library playlist. Then recently the CD-C mode would occasionally not come up when I plugged the iPod in and the only thing that would get it to work was turning the car off and on again. In the last couple of days it simply won't come up anymore - when the iPod is connected the screen that says "Connected Honda" still comes up but no go on everything else.

Anyone else run into this issue?
Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Update - I got fed up, ripped it out and sold it. I have now bought a wireless remote and charger and just put the ipod in the console. USA Spec was no help at all.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
10th Gear

New HON2Y for Christmas !!??

I just got the HON2Y with Hybrid mode for a gift. I have an '05 TL (Non-NAV) and just saw this thread...!!

Should I rip the dash apart and install this thing or do you guys think I should send it back.??

It was very disappointing to see the skipping issues mentioned here.

What should I do?

Thanks...
Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
It seems like this thread died with no real resolution. I just installed my USA Spec and have started experiencing this same "skipping" problem (about once a day). Did any of you have a satisfactory resolution from the manufacturer? It's my intention to contact them this coming week, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

I sent mine back and all they did was update the software to have hybrid mode.

It still has the problem, but the symptoms are different. Before, it would skip twice and jump out of shuffle mode, and reset the track counter.

Now, it just has a little of abrupt static noise, pauses, and continues. The counter doesn't reset and it stays in shuffle mode.

Obviously, the sw changes they made affects the problem, but they have no clue what the cause is. It's unfortunate that their engineers cannot track this problem down.

Thus, I would not recommend getting this unit. It had the best promise with steering wheel control, track information on radio, and no need to disconnect XM, but it just doesn't have sound engineering behind it.

I'm going to suffer through it until someone releases a unit with exactly what I want.

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y