Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pausing and Low Volume on left driver side channels

All, I drove to the distributor yesterday to complain about low volume on the driver side as well as the pausing. as soon as the tech got in my car he could the difference in volume.

We put in a new unit and for a few seconds it sounded better then it paused and once again the volume dropped on the driver side. He sid they are working on it and will send me a new one when they fix it.

From the posts it sounds like this has been a problem for a long time now.

Hope they fix this soon.

Anybody else notice the volume is lower on the driver side?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SpiderWayne
All, I drove to the distributor yesterday to complain about low volume on the driver side as well as the pausing. as soon as the tech got in my car he could the difference in volume.

We put in a new unit and for a few seconds it sounded better then it paused and once again the volume dropped on the driver side. He sid they are working on it and will send me a new one when they fix it.

From the posts it sounds like this has been a problem for a long time now.

Hope they fix this soon.

Anybody else notice the volume is lower on the driver side?
I've had this same problem for a while now too. I kept bringing my car into Acura to check out this problem and each time they would tell them that they couldn't either duplicate it or that it was an issue with the iPod unit. What happens for me is that I'll be listening to a song from my iPod and then all of a sudden, it'll sound like one of the driver's side speakers blew and the volume decreases. It's pretty noticeable too.

I think that this is also another problem that we need to report into USA Spec about.

So the two issues that are hopefully gonna be resolved in the next fix are:

1) Skipping issue
2) Volume decreasing randomly on driver's side
Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

I just tried the last cable that USA Spec gave me to try which was another wiring harness solved my lower driver side volume problem.

If you think this is your problem contact tech support here and ask for a new wiring harness - support@usaspec.com

One issue to go - Still Pauses once in a while.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kmtoner
USASpec sent me their revamped box. So far, no skips. Their customer service was helpful and prompt, especially in refunding my deposit via PayPal. Circuit City installed it via my center consol armrest yesterday for $60 and did a nice job. So far so good. I'm running in Direct Mode. It's great to run through my whole library or any playlist I select using the steering wheel controls.
Yep. It skips despite the firmware upgrade. I used it in direct mode in 40 minute chunks for the last 5 days. I think I got about 6 skips. Each one was very brief. No more than half a second. But, it's definitely an issue. I'm curious whether anyone thinks the skipping gets more frequent over time.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Update

I've been using the "Y" for about 30 hours of play time (in Direct mode) now. It's skipped only 3 times, just for about 1/2 second each time. As someone else noted, when it skips, the "CDC 5-1" on the car's display goes out when the sound stops and reappears when the sound starts again. I also noticed that my Nano backlight comes on when the sound starts again. So, it sounds like whatever is causing this involves the Ipod loosing a connection with the "Y" or the "Y" loosing connection with the radio.

I don't have any problem with the volume. The sound quality is fantastic. I'm very pleased with the "Y" and the skipping issue is very minor to me. But I do hope they will solve the problem.

Direct mode
XM
Aux input disabled (via Dipswitch)
Ipod Nano 8GB
Latest version of firmware and Itunes
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Has anyone spoke to USA Spec recently about this? Is there a true update or any idea when one will be released to resolve this issue?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Has anyone spoke to USA Spec recently about this? Is there a true update or any idea when one will be released to resolve this issue?
I think that update is one of the older fixes that USA Spec made to the HON2y and not the true update that gets rid of the skipping issue completely. They're still in the process of fixing that at USA Spec right now and getting a finalized fix out.

Hopefully this next fix that they send out will be the last and gets rid of this skipping issue once and for all.

Well.....one can hope right?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Instructor

I can't believe it's taking so long to resolve the problem. I've read about this issue shortly after I install mine in late December. Has anybody spoken to them lately?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced

I installed mine on Saturday. I've used it for a combined 4 hours so far, and I haven't had anything skip at all.

My 30GB 3G iPod is flashed to the very latest version, and the HON2y is brand new from Crutchfield. I have it set to Direct Mode - not sure if this is only a Playlist issue or if it's happening to people on both sides.

I'll be using it a lot this coming weekend (big road trip), so I'll keep an ear out and see what happens.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates from USASpec?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Update on my install...

I've been using it to and from work every day (at least an hour). I've also used it on a couple 2 hour legs of a weekend trip. There were 2 times that it hiccuped just when I switched from CD to CDC, so I'm chalking that up to comms between the USASpec and the iPod. Other than that, it's been absolutely perfect. In fact, I helped my buddy install one in his TSX, and he hasn't reported any issues either.

Thanks, USASpec!

[edit]

I'm still using Direct Mode with a fully-patched 30GB black iPod.

[/edit]
Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I didn't have any skipping at all during the first week. A month later, I have several skips going to work and a couple coming home each day.

Also, last night I stopped in at the Circuit City who installed my USA Spec. They said the chain store is no longer stocking or ordering USA Spec products for any vehicles but they will continue to perform installs for those who purchase the box elsewhere.

USA Spec needs to fix this glitch in a hurry.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I spoke to USA Spec yesterday and they said that their engineer has not been able to reproduce the issue so obviously they don't have a fix. That said, they also seem to believe that a lot of users are not seeing this issue.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Advanced

There are a couple factors that might affect it (besides an otherwise-fixable software glitch)...

iPod Generation
iPod Firmware
Location/temperature of USASpec box and iPod.
Relative distance from cell phone

I have a 30GB 5G black iPod.
My firmware level is 1.1.2.
I have my USASpec box in the lower part of the armrest storage compartment. The USASpec box is normal operating temperature. I have the iPod sitting in the upper armrest storage compartment.
I have a BlackBerry 8700G that I keep in the driver's side map pocket. I have confirmed that interference between the iPod and the BlackBerry can have adverse effects on the volume on the unit. I have *not* confirmed that it causes issues with the USASpec.

Maybe I'll drop my BB next to the USASpec device and see if I start having the issues you guys are seeing.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhumbo
I spoke to USA Spec yesterday and they said that their engineer has not been able to reproduce the issue so obviously they don't have a fix. That said, they also seem to believe that a lot of users are not seeing this issue.
I think we all need to start calling and bothering USAspec again to keep them on it.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the skipping that bad?? or would you guys say its a very slight minor annoyance where most people won't notice or care for?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced

I would say that it is bad enough to make you want to uninstall the damn thing!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2002Dawg
There are a couple factors that might affect it (besides an otherwise-fixable software glitch)...

iPod Generation
iPod Firmware
Location/temperature of USASpec box and iPod.
Relative distance from cell phone

I have a 30GB 5G black iPod.
My firmware level is 1.1.2.
I have my USASpec box in the lower part of the armrest storage compartment. The USASpec box is normal operating temperature. I have the iPod sitting in the upper armrest storage compartment.
I have a BlackBerry 8700G that I keep in the driver's side map pocket. I have confirmed that interference between the iPod and the BlackBerry can have adverse effects on the volume on the unit. I have *not* confirmed that it causes issues with the USASpec.

Maybe I'll drop my BB next to the USASpec device and see if I start having the issues you guys are seeing.

It dose not matter what type of iPod, generation, firmware, location, temp, or whatever you have. The USA-Spec HON2y is just a quirky POS!!

I'm on the third unit that USA-Spec claims was "updated" or "fixed" and I still have the same problems. This unit will not work as they claim with an 06 TL with nav. I bought this unit just for an AUX input and I can't even use it for that. I don't have or use an iPod, but I get the same skipping problems in XM mode, and in AUX mode. The unit makes my factory HU unstable. Sometimes CDC mode will not display a disc, XM will not work at all and I have to turn off the car and turn it back on to get the damn thing to work again. And when it dose give me CDC-6 it skips. I have changed locations of the unit, two different wire harnesses, and it just dose not work. I'm now riding around with the USA-Spec unit unhooked and a cassette tape adapter so I can hear my dvd player. I have spoken with USA-Spec several times about this issue and sometimes they say they are still working on a "fix" and should have it done in two or three weeks, and sometimes they act like I'm the only one with this problem. I'm getting ready to just tell them to shove it up there ass!

So don't think that your iPod or Cell Phone is causing the problems!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
It dose not matter what type of iPod, generation, firmware, location, temp, or whatever you have. The USA-Spec HON2y is just a quirky POS!!

I'm on the third unit that USA-Spec claims was "updated" or "fixed" and I still have the same problems. This unit will not work as they claim with an 06 TL with nav. I bought this unit just for an AUX input and I can't even use it for that. I don't have or use an iPod, but I get the same skipping problems in XM mode, and in AUX mode. The unit makes my factory HU unstable. Sometimes CDC mode will not display a disc, XM will not work at all and I have to turn off the car and turn it back on to get the damn thing to work again. And when it dose give me CDC-6 it skips. I have changed locations of the unit, two different wire harnesses, and it just dose not work. I'm now riding around with the USA-Spec unit unhooked and a cassette tape adapter so I can hear my dvd player. I have spoken with USA-Spec several times about this issue and sometimes they say they are still working on a "fix" and should have it done in two or three weeks, and sometimes they act like I'm the only one with this problem. I'm getting ready to just tell them to shove it up there ass!

So don't think that your iPod or Cell Phone is causing the problems!
I hear you. I'm going to give them a call this week to make sure they know you are not the only one.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Advanced

I haven't tested the AUX, so I don't have anything to say with regards to that (although I'm gonna give it a try this afternoon since I put my box in an easy-to-reach location).

Here are 3 examples of why I think the iPod matters:
-My 30GB 5G iPod - works flawlessly, does not pause for HandsFreeLink (not sure if it's supposed to or not)
-My wife's brand new 4GB silver Nano - works flawlessly, haven't tried HFL
-My friend's 20GB (I think) 2G white iPod (before the clickwheel) - pauses when switching to CDC, plays when switching out of CDC, pauses for HFL

My friend's 2G has those symptoms in both my TL and his TSX, so it's related to his iPod, and maybe 2Gs in general with this version of USASpec. I'm not sure how much testing you have done individually, so I was really just curious about the different models and whether it's across the board or just the older ones. I, for one, *LOVE* the device and I can't say enough good about it. I guess you're just unlucky.

You could always get a couple wiring harnesses and wire yourself an AUX input if that's your only goal. This is not the only solution, so if it doesn't work for you, return it and get something else!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Actually, you seem to be the "lucky" one to get a model that doesn't have this defect. It is obviously a flaw in their product. When it is not skipping, it's great, though. Without the ipod plugged in, I've also noticed a degradation in the quality of radio audio. I don't know if this is real or related.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced

3 gen iPod

I have the 3rd gen iPod (haven't checked the firmware version) and Sirius hooked up. I have the skipping periodically (both Sirius and iPod), which is a bother, but there is no way that I would give up this system. I'm hoping that a fix will come, but I can wait.
just my
Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced

It's now the 19th day, and after using it to and from work (45-60 minutes per day), I've still yet to hear it skip other than that once or twice when initially switching to it from another source. Since then, I haven't had a single issue. I still think it's a combo of the version/firmware of the iPod, the age of the USASpec device, placement of the device with regards to heat, and maybe some other factors. I'm sure luck is a part of it, but I don't think it's just a non-lemon in a bunch of lemons.

As far as FM quality goes, I haven't heard a difference at all, although I don't listen to FM all that much. Then again, I'm about 40 miles from the center of Atlanta, so my distance from the towers could negate a quality issue.

If anyone has one that has an issue and is on the north side of Atlanta, I'd love to test it with my iPod and vice versa and see if it's the device. With my friend's TSX, the issue followed his 2G iPod, so it'd be interesting to see what a 3rd device does.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2002Dawg
It's now the 19th day, and after using it to and from work (45-60 minutes per day), I've still yet to hear it skip other than that once or twice when initially switching to it from another source. Since then, I haven't had a single issue. I still think it's a combo of the version/firmware of the iPod, the age of the USASpec device, placement of the device with regards to heat, and maybe some other factors. I'm sure luck is a part of it, but I don't think it's just a non-lemon in a bunch of lemons.

As far as FM quality goes, I haven't heard a difference at all, although I don't listen to FM all that much. Then again, I'm about 40 miles from the center of Atlanta, so my distance from the towers could negate a quality issue.

If anyone has one that has an issue and is on the north side of Atlanta, I'd love to test it with my iPod and vice versa and see if it's the device. With my friend's TSX, the issue followed his 2G iPod, so it'd be interesting to see what a 3rd device does.
I think you should start from the beginning of this thread and read it.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Spoke with USA-Spec again today. Jim tells me that they have installed two of there units into an 06 Tl w/nav and an 07 TL w/nav at a local Acura dealer to try to find this issue. He says that he has yet to hear a skip in two weeks of testing. He says that they are not giving up on trying to fix this problem but they are having no luck finding the problem to fix. Maybe someone lives near there that can go and show Jim how this thing skips.

LTI Enterprises, Inc.
167 Mason Way, Unit A2
City of Industry CA 91746

Anyone live or work near this place?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

About a month ago I went to USA Spec in S. CA and sat IN MY 2005 TL with a guy named IC. I was having 2 problems:

1) Once USP Sec was connected both my iPod and my XM radio volume was louder on the Right side (passenger).

2) Skipping

As soon as he sat in my car he heard the volume difference. We swapped out the unit and as soon as I turned on my iPod it skipped...he heard it and acknowldge there was a problem and as soon as they fixed it he would contact me. I have not heard back from him yet.

I still had a volume problem but that was corrected but swapping out the wireing harness that connects to the back of the radio.

I live in N. CA and plan to go back to thir shop in S. CA as soon as I can...hopefully in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpiderWayne
About a month ago I went to USA Spec in S. CA and sat IN MY 2005 TL with a guy named IC. I was having 2 problems:

1) Once USP Sec was connected both my iPod and my XM radio volume was louder on the Right side (passenger).

2) Skipping

As soon as he sat in my car he heard the volume difference. We swapped out the unit and as soon as I turned on my iPod it skipped...he heard it and acknowldge there was a problem and as soon as they fixed it he would contact me. I have not heard back from him yet.

I still had a volume problem but that was corrected but swapping out the wireing harness that connects to the back of the radio.

I live in N. CA and plan to go back to thir shop in S. CA as soon as I can...hopefully in a couple of weeks.
Man that will be awsome if you can give them a kick in the ass to get this thing fixed. Thank you very very much for taking the time to show them how there product is really having problems. Hopefully they can gather some useful data from your setup and get this thing fixed. I wish USA-Spec was down the road from me. I would be a pain in there ass everyday when they got to work.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 AM
9th Gear

i just live about an hour away. i dont have the skipping problem. before i go down there, when i browse through my ipod, i dont have control on my steering wheel. i only have control on my ipod through my steering wheel when my ipod screen shows honda. im on direct mode. is this a problem?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

I had the same problems...skipping and louder on the right side...so i just took it out...and hi-jacked the xm...b/c i don't use it...or intend on using it...but yea I got fed up with the unit...that was $150 well spent... now going through the xm...it sounds 100% better...no volume problems or skipping...extremely happy...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Pro

Man I feel terrible.

I'm the one who originally got the first 2Y unit and started a semi group buy on here. I apologize guys for getting you into this boat to deal with.

I initially didn't get the skips and when I did I wasn't to annoyed about it, but now I am.

I also am getting the lower driver side volume issue but didn't know if it was related or not but didn't bring it up on here to find out.

My lower driver side volume issue is very apparent. One minute everything will be fine and then the volume drops way out on the left side and I actually hear an alternator whine (higher pitch as you increase throttle) on the left side. This is very obvious now as I listen to a lot of audiobooks and all of a sudden it sounds like the reader is in the passenger seat.

How many people in here have had this resolved with new wiring harnesses?

Again, sorry for the issue and I'm really hoping they get the skipping resolved. The unit fits my needs perfectly(used the aux input for my media player) but has these 2 glitches which can get quite annoying.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro

Also guys, I just sent a very detailed message to USASpec about this and will follow up as much as possible.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Pro

I wanted to check back in on this.

I called and spoke to C.I. He said the same thing about having problems replicating the issue in a TL, enough, to get usable info to track down the skipping issue. However he said they were and sounded very committed to getting it worked out.

He also sent me out another harness to fix the left side audio volume issue. Now I honestly don't know if the harness itself did it or just taking reconnecting and doublechecking the wiring fixed it, but that problem is gone. I am very happy about that as it was more annoying than the skipping.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Is the skipping still there?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
Is the skipping still there?
Yes, I should have been more clear. This only fixed the left side audio issue.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Instructor

so what do you guys thnk i just baught dom's video PnP connector should i go with the Pie-X3 or just wait till usaspec gets there Shi_T together and youse a tape adapter to watch my video ipod and listen to music????
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dennisil
so what do you guys thnk i just baught dom's video PnP connector should i go with the Pie-X3 or just wait till usaspec gets there Shi_T together and youse a tape adapter to watch my video ipod and listen to music????
Despite the issues (which i believe will be fixed, just not sure when) I would suggest the USASpec since you have an iPod. You get iPod control and the aux in you need for Dom's. The only slight downside is the somewhat occasional skipping which you get used to.

Though, for reference I haven't ever owned or even see a PIEX3.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

Was on the road for about 5 hours last weekend. It skipped about 5 times for the whole trip. In addition to being a skip, it might be the unit "shutting down" momentarily.

I was listening with the random button pushed, and you could the the random indicator on the stereo. However, after each skip, the random indicator would turn off and the track number would reset. I believe this is the same behavior you will see when you unplug and plug in your iPod.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Despite the issues (which i believe will be fixed, just not sure when) I would suggest the USASpec since you have an iPod. You get iPod control and the aux in you need for Dom's. The only slight downside is the somewhat occasional skipping which you get used to.

Though, for reference I haven't ever owned or even see a PIEX3.
I figure i could use a 3.5mm Y adapter for now , one end to send video from the ipod to Dom's unit and the other end to plug into the tape adapter for audio? would that work? (AKA Gheto rigg it)
Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Instructor

I broke down and baught the Pie x3 with a 1 plug solution that you guys might find an interestng alternative to the USA-Aspec method of connecting your ipod video.

Pie Makes an A/V cable adapter that sends audio and video through the botom of the ipod and allows for the ipod to charge via any 12/v connection, it comes with the in line fuse all you need to to do is wire tap this somewhere and your good to go. sure you cant change songs from the sterring wheel but you cant hand the backseat passangers your stering wheel either

Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dennisil
but you cant hand the backseat passangers your stering wheel either
That's why I get to decide what's playing in my car when I'm driving.

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y