Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
No problem. Please keep us updated on this issue.
Will do
Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 AM
TCU Frogs!

i got mine at crutchfield
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 AM
9th Gear

I just got my USAspec check out yesturday at the stereo shop and they fix it, at least temporary for now. The guy who installed for me call USAspec tech support and they say that they have heard about the problem but have not quite found the bug yet. The tech support say just flip the switch on the USAspec kit. The guy at the shop did just that and now it works fine, but i dont know if that will fix the pause problem. I also had a freeze problem on my Nav after the dvd conversion, I thought it was cause by the USAspec, instead it was on Dom's PNP harness. The guy at the shop had fix that problemfor me, it was a broken wire on the Dom's unit PNP they just harness back together and now it works fine.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Pro

Sadly, I think all of us have no choice but to wait for that Tech Engineer at USA Spec to get movin' on this skipping issue to get it fixed. He said 3 weeks so he better mean 3 weeks haha
Old 12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Advanced

I think we all need to keep a fire under his ass so that he dosen't put it off. I called him today and I got the same answer. I just want him to understand that there is a real problem and not just a few guys with a complaint. The more we bug these people the more they will try to get this problem fixed. When I call, I ack as if I'm just another customer not the same one calling everyday just to nag. If they think that there are alot of unhappy people they will hopefully get on the ball.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

I have the pause problem as well. Thought I screwed up on this easy install.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
I think we all need to keep a fire under his ass so that he dosen't put it off. I called him today and I got the same answer. I just want him to understand that there is a real problem and not just a few guys with a complaint. The more we bug these people the more they will try to get this problem fixed. When I call, I ack as if I'm just another customer not the same one calling everyday just to nag. If they think that there are alot of unhappy people they will hopefully get on the ball.
hahaha awesome. I think this is what all of us who are experiencing this problem should be doing
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Just called Tech Support. They said they are aware of the problem and a fix will not be available until after the first of the year......How Convenient!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLscrappy
Just called Tech Support. They said they are aware of the problem and a fix will not be available until after the first of the year......How Convenient!
The first of the year?? They told me around the 15th of this month. Wow....looks like they're gonna keep pushing the date of the fix back. We all really need to make sure that they're keeping with this.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Got in the car last night and went to put the unit on disc 6 for AUX mode and the damn thing wouldn't work. It just sat there in CD-C mode with no disc number. Couldn't move the disc number up or down. The only reason that I bought this USA-Spec is because the Blitzsafe was a hunk of shit, didn't even work at all for me. I don't use or have an I-Pod. I Just need an AUX input for the DVD conversion and I thought that this unit would easly do that for me, but I'll be damned if that dosen't work. I'm begening to think that the 06 Tl radio was not made to f**k with. I'm getting the skipping problem wile listning to XM, My radio buttons are starting to freeze up on me, and now the aux mode is hit or miss.

This sucks!!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMROCKS
Got in the car last night and went to put the unit on disc 6 for AUX mode and the damn thing wouldn't work. It just sat there in CD-C mode with no disc number. Couldn't move the disc number up or down. The only reason that I bought this USA-Spec is because the Blitzsafe was a hunk of shit, didn't even work at all for me. I don't use or have an I-Pod. I Just need an AUX input for the DVD conversion and I thought that this unit would easly do that for me, but I'll be damned if that dosen't work. I'm begening to think that the 06 Tl radio was not made to f**k with. I'm getting the skipping problem wile listning to XM, My radio buttons are starting to freeze up on me, and now the aux mode is hit or miss.

This sucks!!
Dang dude....that sucks for real. You seem to be having more problems than all the people that are using the USA Spec. I personally don't have any of those problems with the new unit except the skipping but I really hope that there aren't hidden issues like these that come up in the future
Old 12-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my Hon2 upgraded to Hon2y (cost $12 plus shipping) to get the firmware update. The AUX in works like a charm but the direct iPod dock doesn't resync when I turn the car off and on again. I have to unplug the iPod and plug it back in (sometimes have to kill power in between) to get it to sync. Half the time it doesn't even get input into the head unit with the connected to the iPod direct connection.

I've about given up on true iPod integration in my non-navi 04 TL and am currently just using AUX in. I've tried 3 different kits and all of them have had issues. At least the AUX in on the hon2y works without freezing the head unit or skipping (it froze the headunit at power on/off for 5-10sec before with the hon2).

On my next car I'm definitely getting factory integrated iPod. I've spent waaaay too much time and $$$ on this aftermarket crap that doesn't work already.

Good luck getting these guys to fix it. Even if they do "fix" it (like they "fixed" the hon2 with the hon2y firmware) I think it's a crap shoot regardless of the iPod unit you get - some TLs work, others dont. And no, I'm not bitter. =)
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bTwix
I got my Hon2 upgraded to Hon2y (cost $12 plus shipping) to get the firmware update. The AUX in works like a charm but the direct iPod dock doesn't resync when I turn the car off and on again. I have to unplug the iPod and plug it back in (sometimes have to kill power in between) to get it to sync. Half the time it doesn't even get input into the head unit with the connected to the iPod direct connection.

I've about given up on true iPod integration in my non-navi 04 TL and am currently just using AUX in. I've tried 3 different kits and all of them have had issues. At least the AUX in on the hon2y works without freezing the head unit or skipping (it froze the headunit at power on/off for 5-10sec before with the hon2).

On my next car I'm definitely getting factory integrated iPod. I've spent waaaay too much time and $$$ on this aftermarket crap that doesn't work already.

Good luck getting these guys to fix it. Even if they do "fix" it (like they "fixed" the hon2 with the hon2y firmware) I think it's a crap shoot regardless of the iPod unit you get - some TLs work, others dont. And no, I'm not bitter. =)
Dang that sucks. Sorry to hear about that dude.

Going the Aux in option you were talking about is actually not a bad idea at all but I can't go that way cause I have the sound for my DVD player installed in my Aux in port.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So What to do

well i don't know what to do anymore. i have dom's unit installed and a mp25p that s waiting for sound. there seems to be issues with the usa spec and the blitzsafe. What's left? i need sound, but does anyone know what is working with the 06 tl with navi. at this point, if i can't get my ipod to work i don't care.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by solislbc
well i don't know what to do anymore. i have dom's unit installed and a mp25p that s waiting for sound. there seems to be issues with the usa spec and the blitzsafe. What's left? i need sound, but does anyone know what is working with the 06 tl with navi. at this point, if i can't get my ipod to work i don't care.
Have you tried the PIE x3 yet? That's another option you can try out and that others have been using for audio for their DVD players. I personally don't have it but I heard that it works great.

Also, if worst comes to worst, you can always go the FM transmitter route.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Advanced

I'm not excusing them because I just bought the USASpec solution (still have it in its original packaging) and have not installed it yet...waiting for the resolution to this issue and will swap mine at that time. However, while not EXCUSING them, let me make this point:

I make my living in the software business (business software, not auto/techie stuff). If they've pushed back to January, it's likely because a. they still need to work out the fix, and/or b. their development/testing people may be on vacation this week (Holidays). It's frustrating to have to wait longer (see my first paragraph above...I share that frust!), but it's the nature of the business. Short staffs, differing priorities.

I agree with the comments in this thread, however - we do need to POLITELY keep after them so that this remains near the top of their priority list. Stay on 'em, but don't piss 'em off, either. Remember, new sales always trumps existing maintenance.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Yes and as CONSUMERS we can effect there future sales by not buying products produced by this particular company.

Since the computer age we all have to deal with compatibility issues all the time. Remember when companies had to put out a product that actually worked? Didn’t require an "UPGRADE." Etc.

I for one am always pleasant when talking with the engineers; they of course are the ones that created it. I tell them the problems and work with them to resolve the problem. Now in the forums when I am posting a response I will usually lace it with some sarcasm, that’s just the way I am......Go figure!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Yes and as CONSUMERS we can effect there future sales by not buying products produced by this particular company.

Since the computer age we all have to deal with compatibility issues all the time. Remember when companies had to put out a product that actually worked? Didn’t require an "UPGRADE." Etc.

I for one am always pleasant when talking with the engineers; they of course are the ones that created it. I tell them the problems and work with them to resolve the problem. Now in the forums when I am posting a response I will usually lace it with some sarcasm, that’s just the way I am......Go figure!!!!!
As I said in my post above yours, I'm not excusing them at all...just making a "side" point about the realities of the software business, and the calendar (Holiday time etc.). I think we basically agree: Since when is a bug fix an "upgrade"?? I'm with ya...
Old 12-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro

Software Update Available!!

Hey everyone,

I just talked to USA Spec and it looks like the software update to fix this skipping problem is available.

You can do one of these two options:

1) Send your old unit back, USA Spec will update the software, and ship it back to you.
2) Make an advance deposit, they will ship you a new unit, once you receive the new unit you ship back the old unit, and once they receive the old unit back, they will refund you the amount of the advance deposit.

I prefer option 2 and am going to go this route so I don't have a time period where I don't have my iPod available.

Looks like USA Spec kept their word after all
Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Hey everyone,

I just talked to USA Spec and it looks like the software update to fix this skipping problem is available.

You can do one of these two options:

1) Send your old unit back, USA Spec will update the software, and ship it back to you.
2) Make an advance deposit, they will ship you a new unit, once you receive the new unit you ship back the old unit, and once they receive the old unit back, they will refund you the amount of the advance deposit.

I prefer option 2 and am going to go this route so I don't have a time period where I don't have my iPod available.

Looks like USA Spec kept their word after all
Thanks for posting the update, and for your perseverance, SJ! I plan to follow up with them as soon as I get home from current business travel. Meanwhile, keep us posted here, if you would (you haven't let us down so far!).

Thanks again, man!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by drat19
Thanks for posting the update, and for your perseverance, SJ! I plan to follow up with them as soon as I get home from current business travel. Meanwhile, keep us posted here, if you would (you haven't let us down so far!).

Thanks again, man!
Not a problem at all. I'll keep everyone posted when I get the unit and put it in my car. We'll see if they actually did fix the bug or not.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Ordered a replacement today, will let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Advanced

My USASpec PA11-HON2Y arrived this afternoon and I'm anxious to head to Circuit City for installation ASAP. Before I go, do I need to send the unit to the factory for a software update? It has Serial H2603155 on the bottom of the box, but otherwise there's nothing to indicate which software version shipped with this unit. I guess I can call USA Spec tech support tomorrow.

Also, do I need to order an extension cable before installation? I'd like to hook up to the ipod inside the armrest of my 2005 Navi TL.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

You shouldn't need an extension cable. It really depends on where the interface box is placed. I put mine under the passenger side dash and ran the cable up the side right next to the radio. My Ipod is stored in a proclip. I know people that placed it under the passenger side seat and ran it up to the center console arm rest. The guys at circuit city should be able to figure it out. Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Thanks. USA Spec tech support told me yesterday that I would need a longer cable to reach the center console arm rest. They also told me to send their unit back to the factory for a firmware update. They are shut down for the next two weeks due to the Consumer Electronics Show. Looks like my install will be pushed back to late January.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Instructor

I have the skipping issue as well. Just got mine for Christmas and installed it Christmas night. I was pretty happy with it until I had the skipping issue the other day. Glad to hear the news about the upgraded firmware. I'll be calling Tuesday to get an advance replacement with credit card.

I have two other questions, though:

1. I usually listen to CDs at the highest volume level of 35 and it was not distorted. With the USA Spec adapter I am not able to get a clear sound above volume level 30. The bass seems to be WAY over-modulated. I have to turn my subwoofer and bass down quite a bit to get similar sound to CDs.

2. There is a very slight hiss/whining when using the iPod interface of the USA Spec. You hear it during quiet parts of music and also when the iPod is paused and between songs. You can only hear it around 20+ volume.

Does anyone else have these issues?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Dreamer

Originally Posted by iTISTIC

I have two other questions, though:

1. I usually listen to CDs at the highest volume level of 35 and it was not distorted. With the USA Spec adapter I am not able to get a clear sound above volume level 30. The bass seems to be WAY over-modulated. I have to turn my subwoofer and bass down quite a bit to get similar sound to CDs.
Try going into the settings of your iPod and turning the EQ to 'Off'. If you have it enabled at all (and if you're using stock iPod headphones, you really need it enabled) , the sound you hear from the USA Spec is EQ'd once by the iPod and again by the TL's head unit. The double EQ can cause distortion at the frequencies where its being boosted by the iPod (probably mostly bass and some treble depending on your settings.

Also, I've noticed that the volume level from the USA Spec is slightly higher than when I'm listening to a CD so you may not be able to play it at the same volume level numerically (i.e. 35) but the volume of the music you hear should be able to go just as high before distorting with the iPod.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KC-Dub
Try going into the settings of your iPod and turning the EQ to 'Off'. If you have it enabled at all (and if you're using stock iPod headphones, you really need it enabled) , the sound you hear from the USA Spec is EQ'd once by the iPod and again by the TL's head unit. The double EQ can cause distortion at the frequencies where its being boosted by the iPod (probably mostly bass and some treble depending on your settings.

Also, I've noticed that the volume level from the USA Spec is slightly higher than when I'm listening to a CD so you may not be able to play it at the same volume level numerically (i.e. 35) but the volume of the music you hear should be able to go just as high before distorting with the iPod.
I actually have the EQ on my iPod set to FLAT as the bass is less pronounced in this setting than when the EQ is set to OFF. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the volume issue. I can live with the levels not being identical. Are we sure the sound is not being amplified / EQ'd at all in the USA Spec box?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my USAspec replacement today. I've already plugged it in. For the brief time that I used it I got the same skip problem right away. I'm not sure if its the song. I tried listening to the same song again but I couldn't find that part that it skipped. Maybe it was just my imagination. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it turns out as I will use it to drive to work.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by warrior15r
I just got my USAspec replacement today. I've already plugged it in. For the brief time that I used it I got the same skip problem right away. I'm not sure if its the song. I tried listening to the same song again but I couldn't find that part that it skipped. Maybe it was just my imagination. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it turns out as I will use it to drive to work.
Well this surely isn't good news...
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Pro

This is the updated version with the bug fix? I haven't gotten my updated unit yet but that will really suck if it's still not fixed
Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

^ which IPod do you have? I haven't face this problem thus far with my 5.5G 30gb Video IPod.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
^ which IPod do you have? I haven't face this problem thus far with my 5.5G 30gb Video IPod.
I have a black video iPod 30 gb.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure

I have the same. So I've been using it the past two days. I still have the same skipping problem. Every so often it'll randomly skip which is the same exact problem prior to the update. Maybe they sent me a dud? I'll have to wait til USA Spec resumes business and I'll call them again. Anyone else get there replacement yet?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro

I have the same. So I've been using it the past two days. I still have the same skipping problem. Every so often it'll randomly skip which is the same exact problem prior to the update. Maybe they sent me a dud? I'll have to wait til USA Spec resumes business and I'll call them again. Anyone else get there replacement yet?
I just got my replacement and updated unit today. I installed it in my car and so far I haven't had the skipping issue come up yet. It seems like it's fixed on my unit. But then again this is only basing it off of one car ride so if it comes up in the future, I'll definitely let everyone know.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Cruisin'

Also, if worst comes to worst, you can always go the FM transmitter route.

I would rather have the skip occurring every so often with a USA SPEC-HON2y than the constant tuner jumping and poor quality of an FM transmitter any day of the week.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

That being said, I too had the USA SPEC installed this afternoon and had the double skip occur. I repeated the track to see if it was some kind of error....the skip didn't repeat on the track (of course)...came home and read this thread...now I'm utterly annoyed.

Even if USA SPEC sends me a replacement, will the autoshop reinstall it for free, being that it wasn't their defect? I guess i'll know the the answer when I call them tomorrow. I will be mighty pissed off if I have to drain another $90 having the console torn out again!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by soniqfreq
That being said, I too had the USA SPEC installed this afternoon and had the double skip occur. I repeated the track to see if it was some kind of error....the skip didn't repeat on the track (of course)...came home and read this thread...now I'm utterly annoyed.

Even if USA SPEC sends me a replacement, will the autoshop reinstall it for free, being that it wasn't their defect? I guess i'll know the the answer when I call them tomorrow. I will be mighty pissed off if I have to drain another $90 having the console torn out again!
Do you know where they installed the USA Spec box? If they hid it behind the radio they're probably going to charge to remove it as it will be a little time consuming. A lot of us have installed it ourselves and have placed it in easy to access places. I know I installed my box under the drivers seat, so swapping it out is a snap. If you don't know where it is look around your car and see if you can find it. You could get to it fairly quickly even if you have to take apart your dash. It's not that hard at all.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro

Update with new software unit

I originally said that the skip was fixed with the new unit from USA Spec but this morning when I turned on my car, the updated unit did the double skip again right from the start. This is terrible! I guess USA Spec didn't fix the problem after all

I'm going to call them again later today and let them know what's going on. I'll give everyone an update then.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Instructor

I originally said that the skip was fixed with the new unit from USA Spec but this morning when I turned on my car, the updated unit did the double skip again right from the start. This is terrible! I guess USA Spec didn't fix the problem after all

I'm going to call them again later today and let them know what's going on. I'll give everyone an update then.
Thanks for keeping us all informed. I haven't even called yet to get my unit updated. I was hoping to hear from somebody that the updated unit fixed the problem before I did. Not sure if I should call yet or not. Not worth the time to have them send me a new one that's going to do the same thing. Let us know, and thanks again!

Quick Reply: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y