how to get the best image possible (new system)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
how to get the best image possible (new system)

well i finished my system with the upgraded front stage cdt es 06 mids a tweeters and back cdt ef61 cf mids for rear fill powerd of a kicker sx 900.4 and 2 12" front firing boston G5 subwoofers. Everything seems to sound really good but now im trying to adjust it so that i get the best image possible. Im using the 3sixty as a signal processor and after the integration process i get the preamp wich then i amplified trough the kicker at the same level left and right wich then when i read i belive that the right channel seems to have less output. So should i adjust them equaliy powerwise or ......cause right now it seems that i hear more of it on the left side wich gives me really bad stereo sepeartion.....

wich is the best way to adjust to get the best image possible ??????
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
hold on a second. First of all, use some complete sentences, I could barely read it. Now for the questions:
1. Did you get the signal from the HU before or after the AMP?
2. If before the Amp, do you have a line driver to raise the signal to an optimal level for the amps?
3. If after the amp, are you using the 3sixty after it?
4. If before the Amp, where is the 3sity hooked up?
5. Did you change the gain on any of the Amps?
6. Did you tune the 3sixty properly?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I picked up the signal after the stock amp to the 3sixty and did the oem itegration process. Then i raised the signal output for the fronts at - 5 and lowerd the rears to -15. The sub level was adjusted too and the center i didnt use since i dont want to use the centerchannel in my setup. Now since my amps have a digital configuration to set gains, first u have to set the gain range then the output. Wich by having the levels on 3sixty at -5 i predict its around 2 volts output. If i bring it more i get to much noise. So then i put the gain up to the desired voltage.

After that i feel that the sound from the left channel being closer to me its much stronger then the right and if i can remember messuring the left and right channel seem to be at about same voltage but technicaly u wont the right side to be a little stronger to center the stage.

i was just wondering if the sixty makes the signal equal on both left and right channel or does it leave it as it was stock just amplified on both sides the same way ......
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're probably noticing this because the stock speaker locations have large path length differences. You can mitigate this somewhat by taking advantage of time alignment on your 360. It should have instructions on how to do this in the manual. If not, google search. If you must run rear fill (and no, it's not necessary for a convincing stage, but can add ambiance), I would recommend delaying the two rear channels by at least 10-20 ms and cutting high frequencies off from the rear, unless you're listening to 5.1 source material a lot.

I run a two-way front stage in the TL, with about 1.6 ms delay on the left channel. Others will tell you to flip phase on the passenger tweet and add delay there. This will screw up imaging on the passenger side, but I don't mind from the driver's seat. The instrument cluster hump on the driver's side devastates imaging for front passengers anyway, and I don't see any way around this without changing the tweeter mounting location from factory (have not done yet).
Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

well i was thinking about changin the location of the tweeter too but having them close to the midrange puts them way to low wich i dont belive would sound good at all .....in ur oppinion what would be the best location .... and would a 3way be possible
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a three way front stage, with the 6.25'' in stock location and 4'' and tweet in kicks. No rear fill. It sounds excellent!! I intend to play around with the tuning, tweets are a little harsh, and vocals sound slightly like in a box...not something most others would notice. Any pics of your set-up?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have some pictures its just that i dont know how to post them......by the way where' r u from ??
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

i just saw some pics from ur install and i really like the kicks and the 3way setup. Hoping i can do something like that whens a little warmer outside....My system sounds great aswell cant really complain other then i would wanna work on the stage a little bit.

My System
> 4 channel Kicker SX 900.4
> 2 channel Kicker SX 600.2

Component Speakers 2-way CDT ef61-fc
*upgraded to a ES06 mid-woofer (looking into upgrading the crossover to the cdt560)

running the original mids in the back from the cdt-ef61fc. But latley i find my self turning them down almost to zero level wich makes me thing i dont even need them since my front stage sounds so much better and the substage aswell.

Boston G5 12" x2 front firing into the cabin trough the armrest.

I wonder how the sound gets effected having the tweets so low while ur legs are in the way....
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Chico, CA...haven't noticed any impact on tweets in kick location...have seen a lot of debate about it, but seems to be a real good location. I am going to have the kicks redone and molded/glassed in...something more integrated. But, that won't happen until spring.

There's a pic posting instruction somewhere on the site, try search. Have you been to the diymobile web-site? A lot of audiophiles there...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never did fiber-glass so for me to make those pods wouldnt be so easy. How much did it cost you to get them done and do u know where could i get my hands on those
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

They were custom made...he had to rip out my entire original system and start from scratch...it was a two week full-time project. (i.e. not cheap)

Contact Bing through his site, he seems to know real good installers all over the country. Real solid guy

http://simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/

Have you done much in the way of tuning of your system? I am looking for a little better distinction between instruments, I have been told to play with the time alignment....maybe this weekend