Engine roar through my subs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine roar through my subs???

Ok, so I have installed 2 kicker L7 S15's in my trunk. I had really bad humming noise when i first istalled them. I knew what it was because i had read all of deathtotoasters threads. I disconnected the rear mic.And that solved most of my problem. The problem that I am having since then is that when my TL-s is idleing I can hear the engine roar through my subs. I can hear it from idle up to aprox. 2000rpms. It only does it when all of the doors are closed. Wich leads me to believe that it has something to do with that stuipid "NCS" feature on the car. I was told that the front mic is in the front dome light housing. But I took it apart and disconnected all of the plugs/harnesses from it.And as soon as I close the door... The noise was back again. It is driving me crazy!!! I am in traffic alot @ idle And that is when im best at disturbing the peace.The sound is not cool, unless im tryig to get other motorist to think i've got a V-8 under the hood .If anyone knows how to make this stop or exactly where the brain of the ncs is please tell me.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor

It's a bad ground. That or you have both the RCA cables and your power wire running side my side next to each other. This is the best suggestion on what I can tell you from my knowledge and experience with electronics and car audio systems. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a ground problem, it is indeed a problem with the active noise cancellation system. You need to disconnect the rear mic/sensor, its located behind the rear map lights in the back seat. Do this and your problem will be solved.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, any lesser of a Honda I would've said bad ground too. Good to know for future reference.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

sqacuraTL04 I have a really good ground. My amp only requires 8 guage and I am using 2 guage power and ground into a 8farad cap. and then 4 guage into my amp. And as far as the rca's being too close to the power wire; they are only next to each other for a short distance.Like 12" or so. And if that were the case it would make the noise even when my doors were open.

Mvr155 You are right:this is part of the NCS system. I have disconnected the rear mic. Before the mic was disconected the roar from the subs was intollerable. I had to disconnect the amp just to get to acura for the guy there to disconnect the mic.

My background is car audio. I have never done it professionaly but I have put stereos ,amps,speakers,crossovers,capacitors,iscolaters , batteries , Tv's, inverters in all or part of every vehicle that i have owned or driven (on a regular basis) in the past 15 years. I even had a 1200 watt car amp flush mounted in my coffee table slammin 2 kicker comp cvr 15's for about 5 years. Hooked up to my home theater . I m sure that the problem that I am having now is due to the NCS. Please someoe tell me where the brain is located so i can disconnect it at the root of the problem .
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
um...disconnnect the front NCS mic located under the moonroof switch...and you will not get radiated engine noise running a SUBWOOFER RCA with a power cable...the noise generated by inductance will be filtered out by the amplifiers low pass filter...now...if you use junk shit rca's next to a power wire on a full range signal...than expect some engine noise...

-Jason
Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Its like nobody is reading what im saying!!!! I have tried disconnecting the front mic. the problem was still there. But the problem only occurs when the doors are closed. That tells me that it is not due to : Ground conductiveness,Cable placement,Or Quality of the cable.There has to be a way to disconnect the NCS at the source.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I agree that it's probably the NCS but I was a little unclear on what you said about the front mic. Are you sure it's disconnected? It sounded like you may have been a little unsure. With both mics unhooked, I don't see how you can have this problem.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Ok people here we go!!!! After reading and waiting on replies from all of the great authors of this sit and not getting a fix for the problem. I called upon a friend of a friend that works at the acura of jackson,ms. He pulled up the diagram of the location of the brain itself. This turned out to be easier than getting to or disconnecting either one of the mics. Took all of five minutes. The brain for the NCS is under the center channel speaker in the dash. I took a razor blade and very gently pried the enter channel up and popped it free from the dash. It has a long enough wire on it to place it aside. Then wit an 8th in. drive rachet an a#8 socket remove the 2 nuts from the grey Module under wher the center channel was. Then remove the 16 pin wire harness from the module and BAMMM! problem solved. This could not have been easier! I hope that this info helps everyone who has this problem and the others who can hear the NCS system working through their factory speakers. Now I am going to drive my "Disturbing The Peace Mobile" Be youg have fun and drink pepsi.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im actually pretty shocked that you had both mics disconnected and still had an issue. I am aware the main plug for the system is under the center channel/dash. I only pulled the rear mic on mine and I have absolutely no issues. Nevertheless Im glad to hear you got it fixed but Im still puzzled that you had to pull the plug at the source.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

I think it was easier than havin to disconnect the mics. I think that when people have this problem they should just go to the root of the problem(the brain) and disconnect it there. they dont need to mess with the mics at all.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Pro

re

great info im trying it this weekend

Thanks bro
Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

your welcome italian_spak. I knew that this info would help someone. But it seems like once you fix one problem; another one occurs. I was jammin at mx volume today to bass mekanik . I was listening to a song with an almost continious 34hrtz note when one of my subs ripped all of its screws out of the box.I had been meaning to vent my box anyway but now it has become a nesesity. Cant just have one sub jumping strait up and out of the encloseure. Bad speaker; you get back in your box right now!!! Dont you make me come back there!!!

Last edited by PHUQ2; 11-19-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, this worked great! Took me all of 5-10 minutes and fixed my problem of engine noise coming through the JL Audio Sub/Amp i installed. I wasnt sure if these mics were also the mic for the handsfree system, so i figured i would find out and it is not the same mic as the mic for your handsfree system. I was worried about breaking the plastic when pulling the center channel up, but its pretty tough, just some pesky clips holding it in place.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
7th Gear

What up guys , i'm having the same problem in my 99 tl i have an avic d3 head unit and have try'd all the ground changing and new rca's still same noise . is that sensor located in the same location? Help!! Please!!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I dunno about your generation TL. Best to post in the correct forums