Door Panel Resonance

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Door Panel Resonance

Anyone else get a ton of panel vibrations and resonance? If my volume goes about about 1/2 then my door panels will go pretty crazy. I have to press them with one hand near the door lock area (up next to window) and one hand near the door handle. It will stock but I still get a bit of vibration from this stupid fold out compartment we have. My ENTIRE door is covered in CCF/MLV and it's deadened! Shouldn't be doing this and while doing some tuning today I realized that I've got a shit ton of resonance.

Any tips or tricks?

I know it's kinda hard to say as vibrations could be from anywhere, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Do I need to put deadener on the back of my door panel? My center console "top piece" vibrates all the time also. Once I put pressure on top of it it will go away. I have yet to find what's making that sound also.

Moral of Story: It never ends
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Once I got the Dyns, I had to deaden whole door panel. Every single piece, even the tiniest little plastic pieces. The window switches, the door lock switch, everything.

Having a 3-way helps though. I have a bad resonance above 1khz so if I keep the crossover point below that it's not too bad. The aluminum trim piece is still a problem.

Another thing that helps is sealing the speaker to the panel with weather stripping. The sound seems to get between the door and door panel if they're not sealed.

Last, I decoupled the speakers from the door with a few layers of dynamat between the baffle and door and speaker and baffle. This seemed to help with the lower frequencies and did almost nothing with the higher frequencies.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah I've got weatherstripping behind my baffled for sealing on the door panel. I'll look into putting some on the front like you said. I guess I'll order up some cheap deadener and go to town. Really didn't want to spend any more money on this car but kinda pointless to spend so much and then have it sound bad at higher volumes b/c I don't want to spend $50. At least it's just the panel..should take 1hr max for both sides.

I forgot to demo the difference with the under-dash covers today. Crap. Saw you're username and remembered...that I forgot lol.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Anyone have any deadener?? I'll order from people on here if they need to sell some. Otherwise I'll just get more CLD tiles from SSD I guess. 12-13 should do it hahah. NO MORE RATTLES!

My g/f, friends, etc always laugh at me cause I go crazy with rattles. Every little rattle, squeal, squeek, etc drives me nuts. Should help with localization too
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Anyone have any deadener?? I'll order from people on here if they need to sell some. Otherwise I'll just get more CLD tiles from SSD I guess. 12-13 should do it hahah. NO MORE RATTLES!

My g/f, friends, etc always laugh at me cause I go crazy with rattles. Every little rattle, squeal, squeek, etc drives me nuts. Should help with localization too
I've got a ton of Second Skin Damplifier. I got this version (not the "plus") just for the door panels where clearance could be an issue. Let me finish up my car and I should still have plenty.

Check out DIYMA, Second Skin is selling the reject Damplifier very cheap. The foil is the correct thickness but the butyl varied in thickness a bit so it can't pass the QC and has to be sold as defective. It might be perfect for the door panel.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Nice. When do you think you'll finish up?? If it'll be awhile, I'll PM whoever I need to on DIYMA and look into that. The CLD tiles from SDS were nice but sometimes I wish it would be in sq.ft or larger offerings so I could just layer the whole thing in one pass.

You have any idea where that thread is on DIYMA or who I need to PM? Aren't they forum vendors over there..?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Nice. When do you think you'll finish up?? If it'll be awhile, I'll PM whoever I need to on DIYMA and look into that. The CLD tiles from SDS were nice but sometimes I wish it would be in sq.ft or larger offerings so I could just layer the whole thing in one pass.

You have any idea where that thread is on DIYMA or who I need to PM? Aren't they forum vendors over there..?
Here you go. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ifier-pro.html $119 vs $185 for 30sq feet.

I didn't realize it's the thicker Pro version. I'm seriously considering stocking up. I have to work on Sunday which means I'll probably be working on my car at work. I may be able to finish up as early as Sunday. All of the carpet is out already just waiting until I have the time to install. The only thing I worry about is how much will be left over. All I've got is part of the trunk to do, it shouldn't take up too much.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Oh damn..that's way to much for me. In price and in amount. I only need like 12-15 CLD tiles (about $30) or 7-8sq.ft to do it I'm sure. I mean I covered both doors (inner and outer panels), rear deck underside and topside, and other various places. I'll buy a little off you if you buy it though. Didn't want to spend THAT much though haha. I'm cheap
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
So how much would be needed to do maybe the front doors and trunk? Would the 30 sq ft be enough?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

I must've jinxed myself posting in this thread. On the way to work I had some Kanye playing and resonance was so bad I couldn't enjoy the music. The MS8 lowers the midbass highpass and boosts the midbass when you turn up the sub to keep bass up front. I think thats part of my problem. But even at low volumes theres resonance. I'm out of options unless I start doubling up on deadener.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by KJ 3G TL
So how much would be needed to do maybe the front doors and trunk? Would the 30 sq ft be enough?
Oh yeah! More than enough there. The SDS CLD tiles are 6x10 and I only used 30 of them for everything listed earlier. For 2 door panels and that's it, I think 10sqft or so should be more than enough. Do you have some?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I must've jinxed myself posting in this thread. On the way to work I had some Kanye playing and resonance was so bad I couldn't enjoy the music. The MS8 lowers the midbass highpass and boosts the midbass when you turn up the sub to keep bass up front. I think thats part of my problem. But even at low volumes theres resonance. I'm out of options unless I start doubling up on deadener.
Any idea where it was coming from?? It sucks because one frequency can make X vibrate and a different freq. can make Y vibrate so it's hard to track them all down at once.