Dice R3/R4 Silverline installed w/Iphone (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dice R3/R4 Silverline installed w/Iphone (Pics Inside)

Thanks to Travis (Uncald4) for great service and the fast shipping!

I started taking pictures at the beginning of my install, but I had to take out more panels than I expected, so I pretty much gave up on the detailed pics.

Actual Dice unit install was very simple PNP.

Here are the results.

I ran the cable in the top storage compartment

Ipod locked when connected, but all other phone functions still work.

Scrolling text from the top LCD

Testing incoming call connected to HFL. Music fades out.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
300whp 237wtrq

SWEET! thanks for posting pics...

Now can I persuade you to make a video of how it work?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by MugenR
SWEET! thanks for posting pics...

Now can I persuade you to make a video of how it work?
Sure, I can try. What did you want to see working in the video?

You'll also have to show me how I can have the video hosted since I've never done that before.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Sexiest NBP.. inthemaking

" I ran the cable in the top storage compartment "

do all TLs come with that slot to run a wire through??
Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by OmeGa101
" I ran the cable in the top storage compartment "

do all TLs come with that slot to run a wire through??
The stock compartment is completely sealed. I had to drill the hole to run the wire through. I also used a 1/4" (inside hole) grommet to minimize the size of the hole and for a cleaner more factory look.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:13 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

to you have TDMA interference? you know the annoying sound you get when our iphone is too close to speakers or is getting a radio signal?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:48 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by sequoia
to you have TDMA interference? you know the annoying sound you get when our iphone is too close to speakers or is getting a radio signal?
Yeah, I do get that sometimes. So far, only when I leave the phone inside the top compartment.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Beauty. Like you said, taking apart the 3rd gen TL dash and console is time consuming. You did a great job. How do you like the functionality of the Silverline kit?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by uncald4
Beauty. Like you said, taking apart the 3rd gen TL dash and console is time consuming. You did a great job. How do you like the functionality of the Silverline kit?
Yeah, taking apart the panels were a bit time consuming since it was my first time doing it. But, I have to say it was totally worth it.

So far, I am very pleased with the functionality of this Silverline kit. The scrolling text and full steering wheel plus head unit controls really makes it feel like OEM.

Now I just need to figure out what the difference is between the 4 scrolling choices for the text.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTL06
Yeah, taking apart the panels were a bit time consuming since it was my first time doing it. But, I have to say it was totally worth it.

So far, I am very pleased with the functionality of this Silverline kit. The scrolling text and full steering wheel plus head unit controls really makes it feel like OEM.

Now I just need to figure out what the difference is between the 4 scrolling choices for the text.
I think I left mine on SHORT scrolling. That way the SONG TITLE doesn't start scrolling untill the ALBUM/ARTIST stops scrolling. In LONG scrolling mode everything scrolls at the same time which is a bit distracting when driving.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Sure, I can try. What did you want to see working in the video?

You'll also have to show me how I can have the video hosted since I've never done that before.

If you could show briefly how changing albums/playlists works that would be awesome.

you can host with Youtube or photobucket.com
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I think I know the answer to this... but does:

1) Dice R3/R4 silverline also supply an audio aux port?

2) Did you have to disconnect the XM tuner to get text?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
9th Gear

Sweet! Thanks for the pics. I am excited to have my Dice silver kit installed on my RDX this weekend. I was thinking of getting the Kuda mount and the Dice cradle for my ipod, but I just realized that if my ipod is going to be locked out when connected to the Dice kit, what would be the point in exposing the ipod for everyone to see? Now I just need to decide if I should run the ipod to the center console or the glove box. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I know the answer to 1) YES, you do get an aux port...

I don't fully understand 2). I just simply left it unplugged from the Y-cable... 'cause I HATE XM...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I left mine on SHORT scrolling. That way the SONG TITLE doesn't start scrolling untill the ALBUM/ARTIST stops scrolling. In LONG scrolling mode everything scrolls at the same time which is a bit distracting when driving.
What are the scrolling modes? I wasn't aware of this. How do you change it?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I think I know the answer to this... but does:

1) Dice R3/R4 silverline also supply an audio aux port?

2) Did you have to disconnect the XM tuner to get text?
2) Yes, you have to disconnect the XM plug to have text. I tried it the first time with XM connected and it didn't work.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by lembowski
What are the scrolling modes? I wasn't aware of this. How do you change it?
There's Short STAT, Long STAT, Short Scroll, and Long Scroll. It's on the last few pages of the manual.

To change it, you have to hit preset 6, then the display button until you see "title" in the upper LCD (where our clock is displayed), then you use our tune knob to scroll through the four choices.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by ratchett
Sweet! Thanks for the pics. I am excited to have my Dice silver kit installed on my RDX this weekend. I was thinking of getting the Kuda mount and the Dice cradle for my ipod, but I just realized that if my ipod is going to be locked out when connected to the Dice kit, what would be the point in exposing the ipod for everyone to see? Now I just need to decide if I should run the ipod to the center console or the glove box. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
I chose to put it in the center consol because that way I can still access it pretty easily and still use the phone to text/make calls. And besides that, I don't have anything in the upper console, but I do keep things in my armrest.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by MugenR
If you could show briefly how changing albums/playlists works that would be awesome.

you can host with Youtube or photobucket.com
Not a problem, but my kit stopped working this morning, so I have to get it registered and contact Dice to get the problem resolved before I can make that video.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by ratchett
I just installed the USA Spec module in my car with the iPod Touch in my car. Here's thread that shows my install coming up through the arm rest (to add a third alternative for your consideration): https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/dreamcast-w-controllers-vmu-games-173870/
Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Talking

So my kit started working again just now and I have to agree, the short scroll is probably the best setting. I also want to mention for anyone that wants to change the scroll setting that you have to turn off the ignition for at least 50 seconds after you change the setting (according to the manual).
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a problem, but my kit stopped working this morning, so I have to get it registered and contact Dice to get the problem resolved before I can make that video.
Why did it stop working? What happened?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM

So my kit started working again just now and I have to agree, the short scroll is probably the best setting. I also want to mention for anyone that wants to change the scroll setting that you have to turn off the ignition for at least 50 seconds after you change the setting (according to the manual).
That is the creepiest avatar I think I've ever seen.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by allykahn
Why did it stop working? What happened?
Not sure why it stopped working. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with setting the scroll option and not turning off the ignition for 50 seconds afterwards...

But, hopefully it won't do it again. So far, this morning it's been fine.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Exclamation Dice kit stopped working again =/

Ok, so my Dice unit stopped working again this morning, but this time I knew what I did to make it stop working.

I usually start my car, plug in my iphone from the home screen, and hit playlist (preset 2), then it would start playing. So, this morning I did the same thing, but after a couple of songs I hit the ipod icon from my home screen, and it shows "accessory attached", and thats when I noticed my text stopped scrolling... After the song ended and the next song started playing, the text was still stuck on the previous song. The head unit and steering wheel controls no longer worked either. So, it's stuck again...

I guess I have to wait until the end of the work day again to find out if it works again.. In the meantime, I guess I'll call Dice tech support to find out if they've know anything about this.

Anyone else have an iphone connected to their Dice Silverline that experienced this same problem?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

Well, I am going to attempt the install I think soon. I have the R4 kit and will be going on the 2006 TL with Nav. Any advice?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by riverart
Well, I am going to attempt the install I think soon. I have the R4 kit and will be going on the 2006 TL with Nav. Any advice?
I also have a 2006 TL w/Nav. Have you taken apart your center console before?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
10th Gear

Nope...I have worked on my own cars, mostly fords (mustangs, f150s) so I am capable, but I don't know much about acuras. HOwever, I am also not trusting when it comes to taking my car to a shop. I'd rather scratch stuff myself. I've found some links here on the forums and it will hopefully be enough.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Nope...I have worked on my own cars, mostly fords (mustangs, f150s) so I am capable, but I don't know much about acuras. HOwever, I am also not trusting when it comes to taking my car to a shop. I'd rather scratch stuff myself. I've found some links here on the forums and it will hopefully be enough.
Try this: Link
Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
2006 NBP Acura TL

I feel the same way, which is why I chose to do it myself. I also used many posts from the 3G garage to help me figure out where all the clips were that held the panels in place. I did however remove more panels than necessary and also tried to remove the upper LCD display (where the center vents are), which is not neccessary.

Here's a list of the things I did (at least what I can remember)

1. The 2 aluminum strips
2. remove armrest (actually slides back. you don't need to remove it entirely)
3. remove panels under the steering wheel. (2 panels) be careful when removing the air hose.
4. remove driver's side panel (panel that is attached to the center)
5. remove 2 screws that attaches the bottom portion of the radio to the car. Enough to slightly pull the radio out to unplug/plug the harness. (I didn't remove the radio. The XM cable is the plug on the far left. I was able to unplug it and plug in the Dice harness)

There might be a few screws/things I'm missing here. Just look around and see if there's anything else you need to remove. There's plenty of links in the 3G garage that shows how to remove all the necessary panels. I found it VERY helpful.

Hope this helps. My best advice would be to take your time. I took about 3 hours to complete the entire install, but I'm satisfied with the results. I didn't leave any marks on the plastic panels, no missing clips, and no extra screws. Good luck!

**EDIT: Oh, and for anyone that's thinking about intalling an iPhone in the center console under the radio with their Dice kit might want to reconsider. I've been experiencing a lot of the cellphone's interference through the speakers, which is getting quite annoying. I may be moving the cable to the center arm rest instead.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

THanks...I think I've covered all of those. I printed them out.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

THanks...I think I've covered all of those. I printed them out.

Anytime
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
10th Gear

thanks again...probably get to it this weekend or the next...either way, it's for my fiancé's car! Ha hah...
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks again...probably get to it this weekend or the next...either way, it's for my fiancé's car! Ha hah...
Good Luck!! And its well worth the trouble. The TL's stereo sound like its supposed to. I put the volume on 10 and its loud. Ten times better than XM!!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

Guys, I just finished the install...I got caught up at first cuz I haven't worked on an Acura before...but anyways, I really did get some good info from the links on this site. My girl and I thank you. She just sped away blasting her music...

The tricky parts for me were the trunk release switch, I kinda jacked it up but fixed it before install. And I also took someone's advice, I ran the car for about 30 minutes with the heat on to loosen up the console. i think it helped with the side metal slat things

Took me about 4 hours but that includes a panic attack after I jacked up the trunk release wiring and then 15 minutes considering taking it to a shop. I am glad that i stuck with it.

In reality, I kinda was pressured because we had to run errands which I wasn't really aware of. Anyway, thanks so much for the help.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Guys, I just finished the install...I got caught up at first cuz I haven't worked on an Acura before...but anyways, I really did get some good info from the links on this site. My girl and I thank you. She just sped away blasting her music...

The tricky parts for me were the trunk release switch, I kinda jacked it up but fixed it before install. And I also took someone's advice, I ran the car for about 30 minutes with the heat on to loosen up the console. i think it helped with the side metal slat things

Took me about 4 hours but that includes a panic attack after I jacked up the trunk release wiring and then 15 minutes considering taking it to a shop. I am glad that i stuck with it.

In reality, I kinda was pressured because we had to run errands which I wasn't really aware of. Anyway, thanks so much for the help.
Congrats on the install.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
R.I.P. :(

I feel the same way, which is why I chose to do it myself. I also used many posts from the 3G garage to help me figure out where all the clips were that held the panels in place. I did however remove more panels than necessary and also tried to remove the upper LCD display (where the center vents are), which is not neccessary.

Here's a list of the things I did (at least what I can remember)

1. The 2 aluminum strips
2. remove armrest (actually slides back. you don't need to remove it entirely)
3. remove panels under the steering wheel. (2 panels) be careful when removing the air hose.
4. remove driver's side panel (panel that is attached to the center)
5. remove 2 screws that attaches the bottom portion of the radio to the car. Enough to slightly pull the radio out to unplug/plug the harness. (I didn't remove the radio. The XM cable is the plug on the far left. I was able to unplug it and plug in the Dice harness)

There might be a few screws/things I'm missing here. Just look around and see if there's anything else you need to remove. There's plenty of links in the 3G garage that shows how to remove all the necessary panels. I found it VERY helpful.

Hope this helps. My best advice would be to take your time. I took about 3 hours to complete the entire install, but I'm satisfied with the results. I didn't leave any marks on the plastic panels, no missing clips, and no extra screws. Good luck!

**EDIT: Oh, and for anyone that's thinking about intalling an iPhone in the center console under the radio with their Dice kit might want to reconsider. I've been experiencing a lot of the cellphone's interference through the speakers, which is getting quite annoying. I may be moving the cable to the center arm rest instead.

Where is the 3G TL because i am going to install the dice unit tomorrow night. please give me a link thank you.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
R.I.P. :(

what i mean is where can i find the 3G TL Garage cuz i am gonna need some more info on how to instal the dice unit. Can someone please lead me to the right direction .
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
PSW
ANTHRACITE

Can anyone here describe the functionality of the iPhone while connected and playing music? I spoke with a Dice representative on the phone and she said that the iPhone is not supported and will not receive calls but I've seen people post things on AZ that seem to imply otherwise.
1. Receive calls while playing music? Bluetooth functional while playing music? Can I dial out with the phone while connected and playing?
2. Receive and send texts, scroll through calendar, check email, etc. all while listening to music?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Is it possible to run the ipod cable through the armrest like how this person did it with his USA spec https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1951438 ?

Because it looks like the cable dice supplies is not long enough to do this