Burn DVD Nav disc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
I don't think there any mention of selling a burned disk
Well are you going to burn him a copy and send it to him for free? Because asking "maybe someone can burn me a copy" sounds like a proposal.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by x rsx 2 env x
so 3.7 is the highest one i can use on my 04??
3.7 is the newest copy out right now, it was just released a few months ago. There won't be another new one out for almost another year.......product cycle.

Its not like you have to buy the new disc's every year either. I had the 3.3 disc that came with my 04 up until last month when I purchased the 3.7 update. I'm very pleased with my purchase!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
3.7 is the newest copy out right now, it was just released a few months ago. There won't be another new one out for almost another year.......product cycle.

Its not like you have to buy the new disc's every year either. I had the 3.3 disc that came with my 04 up until last month when I purchased the 3.7 update. I'm very pleased with my purchase!!!
What differences do you notice? I just got my 04 TL and looked at the NAV DVD and noticed is 3.3 why should I upgrade? Any improvements??
Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Instructor

^ wut he said... is there anything else besides updated streets?? if so thats not worth it in itself to make the purchase
Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Trucki!!

Points of Interest (POI) are all updated also. Got new developments your old disc doesn't? Well this might. Look at the disc description for updates on areas and such, because obviously it will differ from other locations. But this disc was a huge update since everything on your 3.3 disc is based off 2003 information, where this is off 2006 info...........
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Superman

At alpine.com, the only thing under NEW FEATURES is a mere "Updated maps and POIs". I sure hope that finally includes some streets in Chicago built 8 years ago (not included on the '06 TL disc) as well as businesses that have been around forever. And I'm not talking about mom and pop's stores, but places like Office Depot, McDonalds, Chase and such.

Can you please help out poor Alpine (they seem to be shorthanded) and provide us with some more info? Also, any idea whether the navigation hack will work in this 3.70 disc?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Pioneer 112D and HP Media (I wouldn't recommend HP because the first one failed to work) DVD+R DL 8.5 GB is confirmed working for 4.62 and TL 07 Navi. I used a backup from DVD Decrypter. Used the latest DVD Decrypter to Open the the MSD file and burned. I switch the car on and replace the disc. It said "Downloading, do not switch the engine off", or something like that as soon as I put it in. It's been working.

It doesn't matter if the original disc is PTP and you make a OTP backup. The nav unit doesn't care.

BTW, I don't think it's worth the $200 price since a lot of the POIs are miscatergorized still.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Hello all. I'm new to the thread as I just purchased a 2004 TL 2 weeks ago. It came with a 3.3 orange disc. I've read through all these posts. Being that I have a dvd+- RW DL drive i thought I might see if I can get a newer copy. Found version 3.62 at etorrents(poster said he used dvd decrypter) I tried burning a DVD+R DL with no luck. Then a DVD-R DL, no luck. DO I have the wrong version for my car? Any thoughts. I dont want to reinvent the wheel here on these threads but I'll try anything to get it work.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Superman

There's no 3.62 as far as I know and I believe you actually found the 4.62 version which is for the '08 TL. Starting with the '07 model, TLs are running a totally different navigation software which requires '07 hardware. Thus, you'll never be able to use this version even if you had an original 4.62 disc. So you can just go ahead and free up some 4 gigs of hard drive space...
Congrats for your new used TL and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM
9th Gear

I have a question, well a few actually.

I updated my 1999 TL to the DVD based system, it came with a black DVD version 2.03 so I downloaded a DVD supposed to be version 4.62 but according to Acura, 2.5 is the highest version for 2000 thru 2003. I tried it in the car but the system states the DVD is the wrong format. It is over 7 gig so I used a DL DVD+ disc to burn it. My OEM disc is only 3.6 gig.

I do not know what year Acura the DVD drive unit was from but the reseller stated it would work up to a 2003 TL. My question is how can I know if it will read DL discs and what is the highest version DVD I can run? Is the 2.5 version also a DL disc?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 PM
9th Gear

Well, I was thinking, while I look for 2.5 to d/l, I started exploring the idea of making a backup of my OEM 2.03 DVD but after 12 coasters, I am not having any luck. I have tried DVD-R and +R, I tried single and DL discs. I tried Nero8 & Alcohol120. I tried making an ISO using UltraISO9 but so far, nothing works. Any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Zenica2
Well, I was thinking, while I look for 2.5 to d/l, I started exploring the idea of making a backup of my OEM 2.03 DVD but after 12 coasters, I am not having any luck. I have tried DVD-R and +R, I tried single and DL discs. I tried Nero8 & Alcohol120. I tried making an ISO using UltraISO9 but so far, nothing works. Any thoughts?
This procedure only works for 4.xx disks. The 2007+ TL runs the 4.xx WHITE Disks. Any other color or version besides white/4.xx will not work. You have a dvd drive that only will take a black 2.xx disk. 3.xx orange or 4.xx white will not work. Post in the 2nd gen section, thats where your questions belong as you TL is 1999-2003
Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
9th Gear

Thanks.

I'm looking for the 2.5 now.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
B A N N E D

this might sound stupid but i bet the factory dvd rom will not read Burned dvd's maybe?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sig86 CM8
this might sound stupid but i bet the factory dvd rom will not read Burned dvd's maybe?
the drive is configured to read the disk in a different matter. There are 2 ways a dvd can be burned, from the outside in then back out or inside to out then back inside for the second layer. I forgot the terms for them, and which one is used by the navigation dvd drive, but there is no burner on the market that can write the same way the navi reads in, those disks have the data stamped onto them, not written.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Sig86 CM8
It read mine just fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
It read mine just fine.
sorry, forgot to mention that was for 2.xx and 3.xx drives. the 4.xx will read the burned ones fine, thats why we can copy it
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by csmeance
sorry, forgot to mention that was for 2.xx and 3.xx drives. the 4.xx will read the burned ones fine, thats why we can copy it
Gotcha, that makes sense
Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Question So the 2.5 can not be duplicated?

Am I to understand from this thread that no one has ever duplicated the 2.x series of navi disk?

I am using a duplicate of 2.03 right now, albeit on a single layer DVD.

I was thinking of trying it on the 2.4 or 2.5 if anyone else has ever had
success with either of them.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Arrakis001
Duplicating the NAVI Acura DVD:

The current original Navi DVD’s are produced using PTP – Parallel Track Path. This means that the Layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the inside to the outside. Although the -R DL specification is compatible with PTP all current burners on the market use OPT – Opposite Track Path. This means that layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the outside to the inside. The Acura Navi disks as well as PS2 disks uses PTP as a cheap copy protection method.

Gear Software http://www.gearsoftware.com/ 30 day trials of the Pro and Master packages support PTP burning for the mastering of DDP and/Or DLT images for the mass production of DVD’s. If a burner ever becomes available that will burn using PTP this software should support it from day one.

This doesn't mean that PTP DVDs can't be copied. As long as the content matches the original the disk should work, in theory. All my attempts and others’ attempts always end up with the copied DL-ROM’s a few bytes off. I believe this has to do with the lead-in tracks of layer 0 (but that is a guess)

Now I will tell you how to copy your Navi disk to a single sided DVD+R disk, as long as you are willing to give up a few features?

If you are NOT willing to live without these features then don’t read on.

I am using the Orange Disk 3.5 (I assume others will be similar)

1. Make an ISO image of the disk, using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 (any DVD application that will generate an ISO image should work as well).

2. Using Ultra ISO 7.5.6 (any application that can read and modify ISO images should work as well). Locate the following files within the ISO image and delete them.
• OAR_5001.STR - This is Street Name data
• OAR_5002.POI – This is Points of Interest data
• FRNCH2F.VC_ - This Canadian French data (Keep if in Canada)
• FR_ETB2F.VC_ - This is Canadian French Data (Keep if in Canada)

3. Now Open up NOTEPAD. Leave it blank and save the document as OAR_5001.STR. This will be a zero length file. Repeat SAVE AS and use the remaining 3 names from above. You should now have 4 zero length files on your hard drive.

4. Go back to your Ultra ISO application (or other ISO modifier) and add these 4 zero length files you just created. Save the modified ISO image.

5. Now burn the ISO to a standard DVD+R disk, with your favorite burning software. I used DVD Decrypter, just so I don’t have to wade through all the junk packed into other burning software packages.

All single sided disks burn using the PTP method. The disk should now work in your Alpine drive. Of course you will not be able to find Points of Interest or lookup street names. I have been using the test disk I burned for a week now and no problems.

If someone can come up with a software package that burns the full image so the final bytes match exactly then a OPT burn should work for Dual Layer disks.

I hope this helps answer why we have problems copying the Navi disk, with the current burners available.

has any1 tried this method for the 3.xx disks, i read through this entire thread and this seems like the only solution for burning the 3.xx orange disk.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Racer

I'm confused. First his post mentions this being the reason we can't copy 3.x orange discs:

"All my attempts and others’ attempts always end up with the copied DL-ROM’s a few bytes off."

Yet he able to rip a 3.x orange disc as an ISO, modify it to fit on a single-layer DVD, and it works? Wouldn't that copied DVD be a few gigabytes off?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by leedogg
Anybody know if its possible to burn a backup copy of the DVD navigation disc that works?
What year TL are you trying this for?? I have been searching for a DVD nav for 04 for almost 3 weeks now. The that came with my car got trashed when I took it in to get it professionally cleaned.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
SpringsTL, welcome to the forums. Since you cannot yet receive private messages I will respond to you here.

The purpose of this thread is to allow owners of these navi dvds to create backup copies for their own personal use. Distributing or selling copyrighted material is prohibited on here.

That said, you will be able to locate a replacement DVD through Acura's official website http://www.acuranavi.com, eBay, or the Private Sales and Trades forum. Any 3.X DVD (orange label) will be compatible with your '04 TL.

Good luck and again, welcome aboard.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
SpringsTL, welcome to the forums. Since you cannot yet receive private messages I will respond to you here.

The purpose of this thread is to allow owners of these navi dvds to create backup copies for their own personal use. Distributing or selling copyrighted material is prohibited on here.

That said, you will be able to locate a replacement DVD through Acura's official website http://www.acuranavi.com, eBay, or the Private Sales and Trades forum. Any 3.X DVD (orange label) will be compatible with your '04 TL.

Good luck and again, welcome aboard.
Thank you for the clear up on that! Yes I am still new and still learning this site.. I love it so far. It has helped me out alot already with my TL Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by skd2k1
I don't think there any mention of selling a burned disk

So with that said , Who can "lend" me an up to date nav disk that will work in my 05 ?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Frisbee
So with that said , Who can "lend" me an up to date nav disk that will work in my 05 ?
The navi DVD"s just don't update and your done. You have to keep the new disk in the drive to have all the updated stuff. Also if you try to stick the old disk in, it won't work anymore unless you go through a few back-doors.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
The navi DVD"s just don't update and your done. You have to keep the new disk in the drive to have all the updated stuff. Also if you try to stick the old disk in, it won't work anymore unless you go through a few back-doors.

I know that . Thats why I said " LEND " . ( its a covert way to say I don't want to spend $185 on a new one . And I never said when I was giving it back . )

See I didn't say sell me one cause thats illegal !
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

The current original Navi DVD’s are produced using PTP – Parallel Track Path. This means that the Layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the inside to the outside. Although the -R DL specification is compatible with PTP all current burners on the market use OPT – Opposite Track Path. This means that layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the outside to the inside. The Acura Navi disks as well as PS2 disks uses PTP as a cheap copy protection method.

Gear Software http://www.gearsoftware.com/ 30 day trials of the Pro and Master packages support PTP burning for the mastering of DDP and/Or DLT images for the mass production of DVD’s. If a burner ever becomes available that will burn using PTP this software should support it from day one.

This doesn't mean that PTP DVDs can't be copied. As long as the content matches the original the disk should work, in theory. All my attempts and others’ attempts always end up with the copied DL-ROM’s a few bytes off. I believe this has to do with the lead-in tracks of layer 0 (but that is a guess)

Now I will tell you how to copy your Navi disk to a single sided DVD+R disk, as long as you are willing to give up a few features?

1. Make an ISO image of the disk, using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 (any DVD application that will generate an ISO image should work as well).

2. Using Ultra ISO 7.5.6 (any application that can read and modify ISO images should work as well). Locate the following files within the ISO image and delete them.

3. Now Open up NOTEPAD. Leave it blank and save the document as OAR_5001.STR. This will be a zero length file. Repeat SAVE AS and use the remaining 3 names from above. You should now have 4 zero length files on your hard drive.

4. Go back to your Ultra ISO application (or other ISO modifier) and add these 4 zero length files you just created. Save the modified ISO image.

5. Now burn the ISO to a standard DVD+R disk, with your favorite burning software. I used DVD Decrypter, just so I don’t have to wade through all the junk packed into other burning software packages.

All single sided disks burn using the PTP method. The disk should now work in your Alpine drive. Of course you will not be able to find Points of Interest or lookup street names. I have been using the test disk I burned for a week now and no problems.

If someone can come up with a software package that burns the full image so the final bytes match exactly then a OPT burn should work for Dual Layer disks.

I hope this helps answer why we have problems copying the Navi disk, with the current burners available.
moment of truth this procedure does work only took me 1 disk now im just waiting to get my navigation code thanks alot arrakis.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

I have tried burning my Orange DVD 3.40c just to see if I could get it to burn... I tried every way under the sun possible. DVD+R DL's and DVD-R DL's and it's a no go(Yes I tried changing the booktype to DVD-ROM as well). I used CloneCD from Slysoft that is supposed to be the best, didn't work. Tried 5 other programs. I have 10 new coasters. The problem isn't the DVD's we are burning, the problem is the DVD-ROM they put in for these units to read the Orange DVD's, do not read OPT discs. If they were smart, they would have done the same thing for ALL Acura and Honda models. Obviously the unit that came with the WHITE DVD's CAN read OPT discs and have no problem with burned DVDs. AND yes, DVD-R DL's do support PPT but unfortunately there are NO OPT writers on the market... that I can find.

That's my 2 cents and the first cent is free!

On another note, anyone know if I can take a DVD Unit with a white DVD from a 2005 RL I believe and swap out a DVD Unit that has an Orange DVD and it work? Just want to swap the DVD Unit in the trunk, that's all.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
eh.
1st Gear

modifying points of interest and streets???

I think that Arrakis001 is on to something. Let's see if we can take it one step further. Would it be possible to modify the oar_5002.poi and oar_5001.str? I have several ideas,

1. Split the files and burn onto multiple dvds. One dvd for western united states, one dvd for central united states, one dvd for eastern united states....

2. Delete non necessary streets and poi. Only have the info for the State that you are living in. I think that will also optimize the search function. How many times have i searched for a poi and come up with businesses 2000 miles away!!!

So, that's my idea, I don't know how to implement it though, anybody else think this is a good idea?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I Have A Meth Lab In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, no one seems to know, in this thread at least, that the reader in the TL 07 and prior doesn't support DVR+.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Did anyone try the Toxic DL patcher? It seems to do something to the ISO and make it work for games with the similar PTP problem.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by andyc123
Funny, no one seems to know, in this thread at least, that the reader in the TL 07 and prior doesn't support DVR+.
If that was the case, you would get a disc read error as soon as the disc was loaded. Using DVD+R DL, it loads the software and then gives the read error.

Originally Posted by tlrulz
Did anyone try the Toxic DL patcher? It seems to do something to the ISO and make it work for games with the similar PTP problem.
Doesn't work. Doesn't recognize the iso as dual layer.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

I've been burning CDs since there was only a 2x burner and burning DVDs since a 4x burner. I've been able to burn every DVD every given to me, EXCEPT the Acura White/Orange Navi DVD. I've wasted probably $100 on dual layer DVDs, the -R and +R DL DVDs.

Only the 4.63 White version worked on a copy. I think it's safe to assume that Pioneer realized what was going on and the 4.73 "update" stopped the DVD-ROM in the trunk from reading regular old OTP DL discs. As for the Orange version of the DVD-ROM, I don't think it could ever read an OTP DL DVD, as there isn't a version that will work on copy.

It's going to take a REAL hack to get them to work, like the PS2/3 hack that made it so that burned DVDs were able to be read. Pretty much, it's not going to happen.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced

the new Orange disk is out (v3.9) so I thought I'd give this thread a BUMP...any advancements?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flash2021
the new Orange disk is out (v3.9) so I thought I'd give this thread a BUMP...any advancements?
no, only a step back. The new 4.73+ versions are burned in the PTP format so duplicating them is just as impossible as the 3.xx ones... DOH!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been able to duplicate the 4.63 quite easily. There's an image going around internet that has worked perfectly for me.

In fact, I've had a copy in my TL for the past couple weeks with 0 errors...it seems to load faster than OEM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
wow.. I shouldve got the new dvd rom when I did my navi swap.. :/ .. im having problems just doing the navi hacks!! lol
Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 AM
2nd Gear

Interesting problem. I may have some ideas on how to move things forward. But first, a couple of Qs

1. The oem 4.63 that is 'friendly' was ptp or otp?
2. The oem 4.73+ that is 'unfriendly' was ptp or otp?
3. Has (or can) anyone tried/try Arrakis001 suggestion with a DL disc (instead of an SL disc)?

TIA
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont believe the whole which way it writes thing, the DVD nav reader would have to know the difference in which way to read because the 4.62 disc is burned in to out, it has to do with a file telling it which way to read.

OR

it has to deal with a files position and in the navi flash software if that file is not first to be read then it errors the disc

Quick Reply: Burn DVD Nav disc?