Burn DVD Nav disc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
I agree with you guys. I have no problems burning DVD-Audio disks with DVD-R.

Unfortunately, the navi DVD is a dual layer disk (about 6.5 GB of data) and is not a normal DVD+/-R (about 4 GB of data). Also, my DVD burner only supports DVD+R DL (therefore I went with DVD+R DL). Anyone with DVD-R DL wanna try?

Hey Datmrman,
check this thread out

http://www.gearsoftware.com/Support/...opic.php?t=546

Some interesting topics. Looks like PTP may be a form of copy protection in its own form.
I have a BenQ DVD burner that'll do +/- DL but no blanks.

Here's how gearsoftware allows you to do this

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/...breakpoint.cfm

but you cannot burn to blanks.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice find Thorin!

If that is the case, we are stuck until we find a way to burn PTP.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think that's pretty much impossible for us since it looks like the PTP is only to create masters. Unless you own a dvd making plant in china, this is pretty much pointless to pursue now. If you do own a dvd making plant in china, then why the hell haven't contacted alpine to become a producer of these navi dvds. heh.

I wonder if we just get a group buy for upgraded NAVI discs.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:11 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So has anyone made a copy that works? My TL is in the shop getting a new 3rd gear and the dealer gave me a loner with the newest version of the nav 3.5. I want to make a copy and have tried on using fuji film +R DL disks but it didn't work. Please help, let me know what the correct method is.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Did you even read the thread? Just read the last 3 posts before yours. I'm not trying to sound mean, just trying to point out whats in front of you.

There are a few members that have claimed they have made a successful backup, but it hasn't been verified.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

I tried SlySoft AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 to copy the TL Nav DVD, and it works! ... Only for couple days though ... it is weird ... Anyone have similar experience?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cutemp
I tried SlySoft AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 to copy the TL Nav DVD, and it works! ... Only for couple days though ... it is weird ... Anyone have similar experience?

Can you be more specific?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

I tried to tackle this copy over the past few days and I have been unsuccessful. I have used Lite-On, HP, and Fujistu burners with no luck. I wondered why it was failing until I flipped my original disk over.

In the center ring of the DVD, you will notice that there is a bar code on the BOTTOM of the DVD. This barcode is reflective, so it looks like it is being verified by the laser in our nav system. Until we can figure out how to duplicate this bar code, we will not be able to copy our DVDs.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by noah82
I tried to tackle this copy over the past few days and I have been unsuccessful. I have used Lite-On, HP, and Fujistu burners with no luck. I wondered why it was failing until I flipped my original disk over.

In the center ring of the DVD, you will notice that there is a bar code on the BOTTOM of the DVD. This barcode is reflective, so it looks like it is being verified by the laser in our nav system. Until we can figure out how to duplicate this bar code, we will not be able to copy our DVDs.

See post #40
Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Instructor

I thought that was referring to the top of the DVD
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
9th Gear

Just pay the $185.00

Oh come on, we are talking about $185. Thats like 3-4 tank fulls of gas.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by noah82

I think someone in the forum have covered up the bar code on the original DVD and put it back in the Navi ... it still works ...
Old 09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

I wonder

Someone on one of bazillion posts on this I read suggested that Alpine, like Sony PS2 reads unique Disc ID info from the rpinting. So ANY copy will fail because it looks for this disc ID when loading.

So I was wondering for people that have made copies that won't load but seem exact, could you not use the same process for tricking the car that use do for the nav mod listed here

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129765

load the orig DVD then switch them after the initialization and then force it to load. If it sees the code on boot maybe it won't check again?

ANYONE??
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Duplicating the NAVI Acura DVD

Duplicating the NAVI Acura DVD:

The current original Navi DVD’s are produced using PTP – Parallel Track Path. This means that the Layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the inside to the outside. Although the -R DL specification is compatible with PTP all current burners on the market use OPT – Opposite Track Path. This means that layer 0 is burned from the inside to the outside and Layer 1 is burned from the outside to the inside. The Acura Navi disks as well as PS2 disks uses PTP as a cheap copy protection method.

Gear Software http://www.gearsoftware.com/ 30 day trials of the Pro and Master packages support PTP burning for the mastering of DDP and/Or DLT images for the mass production of DVD’s. If a burner ever becomes available that will burn using PTP this software should support it from day one.

This doesn't mean that PTP DVDs can't be copied. As long as the content matches the original the disk should work, in theory. All my attempts and others’ attempts always end up with the copied DL-ROM’s a few bytes off. I believe this has to do with the lead-in tracks of layer 0 (but that is a guess)

Now I will tell you how to copy your Navi disk to a single sided DVD+R disk, as long as you are willing to give up a few features?

If you are NOT willing to live without these features then don’t read on.

I am using the Orange Disk 3.5 (I assume others will be similar)

1. Make an ISO image of the disk, using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 (any DVD application that will generate an ISO image should work as well).

2. Using Ultra ISO 7.5.6 (any application that can read and modify ISO images should work as well). Locate the following files within the ISO image and delete them.
• OAR_5001.STR - This is Street Name data
• OAR_5002.POI – This is Points of Interest data
• FRNCH2F.VC_ - This Canadian French data (Keep if in Canada)
• FR_ETB2F.VC_ - This is Canadian French Data (Keep if in Canada)

3. Now Open up NOTEPAD. Leave it blank and save the document as OAR_5001.STR. This will be a zero length file. Repeat SAVE AS and use the remaining 3 names from above. You should now have 4 zero length files on your hard drive.

4. Go back to your Ultra ISO application (or other ISO modifier) and add these 4 zero length files you just created. Save the modified ISO image.

5. Now burn the ISO to a standard DVD+R disk, with your favorite burning software. I used DVD Decrypter, just so I don’t have to wade through all the junk packed into other burning software packages.

All single sided disks burn using the PTP method. The disk should now work in your Alpine drive. Of course you will not be able to find Points of Interest or lookup street names. I have been using the test disk I burned for a week now and no problems.

If someone can come up with a software package that burns the full image so the final bytes match exactly then a OPT burn should work for Dual Layer disks.

I hope this helps answer why we have problems copying the Navi disk, with the current burners available.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 AM
5th Gear

Arrakis001:

I've been able to make copies of my '06 Civic's double layer NAVI disk without any errors. (Without removing any files - the ISO file that I read and write is about 8 GB.) The trick to making a copy is to never change the structure of the ISO file. Any attempt to remove and replace a file in the ISO image will re-write the directory and cause the disk to be unreadable. The best I've been able to do is to physically replace a file's data bytes using a hex file editor. I found the location of the file 06AVN2.bin - 2053267. Then overwrite the bytes with a .bmp splash screen image with a different photo (the file has to be in exactly the same bmp format and exactly the same length). I've been using a copy in my Civc for months now, and it works just like the original!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up can you explain details how to copy the nav dvd and sofware you used to backup

Hi steven

can you help me to back of acura navi double layer disk.Can you please tell me how did you do that in details manaer.

what software you used and how did you done that

Advance thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Safety Car

stevenpph hasn't logged in since Oct 2006. You can try sending him a PM by clicking here
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up It works for TSX

I used Alcohol 120% to rip and burn on TDK DVD+R DL and it worked (TSX 2007)
Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
5th Gear

Here's how I copied my 2006 civic navi (dual layer) disk:
Make a .iso file from the original. I've tried various programs, and I believe I only got 'UltraISO' to work properly. The resulting file size for my disk was 8,198,770,688 bytes. This program is meant to modify the .iso file after creating it. DON"T! Whenever you add/remove/modify files, UltraISO will re-write the dvd's directory - this always caused the disk to fail in the navi. I think Alpine created this disk with a very non-standard directory structure. The only way I was able to modify the .iso file was to use a different program to over-write an existing file's contents with my data. UltraISO will tell you where the file's data blocks are, but it's unable to overwrite the file without modifying the directory.
The only file that's easy and useful to overwrite is 06AVN2.bin, the opening picture.

Anyway, write this .iso file back out to a DVD+R dual layer disk - I used Nero ver 7 but I believe that a number of programs should work. I've used name brand DVDs, as well as no-name dual layers with good success.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
According to an unnamed source- the factory nav disc are pressed not burned and IF you get a copy made by burning- it will run but may cause damage to the DVD reader-

Just accept that nice cars need upgrade- what- you never bought better shoes or better anything??-- check the acura website for details of changes of each upgrade number- most people can go 2 or 3 years between- unless your city was just added

If you can solve it with a check its not a problem, just an expense
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
According to an unnamed source- the factory nav disc are pressed not burned and IF you get a copy made by burning- it will run but may cause damage to the DVD reader
No offense, but . . . BULLSHIT!

All commercial disks are pressed rather than burned. The only way a burned CD or DVD could possibly damage a drive is if you are stupid enough to use the stick on labels that tend to peel off and get stuck in any sort of slot based drive.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been successfully running a copy on my Gen 2 TL-S w/ zero problems for the last 2 years. I just got version 2.40 late last year and made a copy and it works great also. Version 2.11 and up are all dual layer DVD's. Copy runs and behaves just like the original.

I have tried the copy in some friend's car and have about 95% success with it in the TL. For some reason, not all DVD-ROM versions behave the same way. Only 2 other TLs won't read it, most CLs won't read it and a MDX that uses the same version won't read it. I'm not sure if it's the firmware, the hardware version, or both.

John
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by riontegra
I've been successfully running a copy on my Gen 2 TL-S w/ zero problems for the last 2 years. I just got version 2.40 late last year and made a copy and it works great also. Version 2.11 and up are all dual layer DVD's. Copy runs and behaves just like the original.

I have tried the copy in some friend's car and have about 95% success with it in the TL. For some reason, not all DVD-ROM versions behave the same way. Only 2 other TLs won't read it, most CLs won't read it and a MDX that uses the same version won't read it. I'm not sure if it's the firmware, the hardware version, or both.

If anyone wants to send me their disc, I can make a copy for you to try out. I'm in the boston area if someone wants to meet up.

John
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

I must remind everyone that this thread is for the 3G TL or navi versions 3.X ('04-'06) and the 4.X ('07+).

For those people that claim they have been successful, you should include software, media info, dvd burner info, and any other special details. Otherwise, no one can confirm.

Any posts that is legally questionable will be edited or deleted.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Cool Navi Backup success

Software - Alcohol 120% trial
Burner - HP DVD Writer 630C
Media - Memorex 2.4x DL DVD+R

07 TL-S
Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Alright, I go tthe 06tl Disc working 3.x now i'm trying to find someone to obtain the 07 4.x.

edit by datmrman:
Originally Posted by datmrman
Any posts that is legally questionable will be edited or deleted.
BTW, the 4.X disks will not work in the '04-'06 TLs. Its a different system.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pekkieboyz
Alright, I go tthe 06tl Disc working 3.x now i'm trying to find someone to obtain the 07 4.x. anyone in brooklyn ny willing to sit with me on this one?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

Swapped Navi Disk

I put my 07 TL-S disk into my wifes 05 MDX and it upgraded fine.

I am going to order the next update for her
Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Nyc??

Anyone in NYC w/ 2.40? Please PM me
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
....I wish this was easy.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Instructor

so i have 06 3.5 disc. where can i download 3.6 disc?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM
04 Abyss Nav, 07 KBP TL-S

Thumbs up The disk CAN be copied

Ok guys, I've read through this thread, and there's a lot of confusion, so I decided to give it a shot for the sole purpose of ending the debate. The original poster wanted to know if it was possible to make a backup copy of the NAV disk. The answer is yes. Here's what I used:
  • Ultra ISO v8.6.2.2011
  • Nero Digital version 6
  • Sony DL DVD Burner, Model DRU-801a
  • Memorex DVD+R DL (8.5GB) model m200-1100 (2.4x burn speed)

The source disk I used came from my 07 TL-S. It is the white label disk, Version 4.55A. Here's what I did to make a successful copy:
  1. Using Ultra ISO, I made an ISO image of the master disk (leave the image type as ISO)
  2. Note that I did not alter the title of the master disk when I saved the ISO (title was BTM070S55A)
  3. After Ultra ISO completed, I closed it, then opened Nero Burning ROM, went to File > Open > BTM070S55A.iso
  4. Dropped in a Memorex DVD+R DL in my Sony writer, and let it burn at 2.4x, then went to bed.
  5. Dropped the copied disk in the NAV reader in the car this morning, it came up fine, and even showed system info

Some notes:
1. I did not try copying the disk in my wife's '04, but may try later
2. This disk WILL NOT WORK in the 04-06 TL. If you check out the Acura Store site and try to buy a NAV update for an 06 TL, you'll see that the latest disk version is 3.60 while the latest disk version for the 07 TL is 4.56

If anyone has a 3.60 disk, PM me. I want to experiment with the 04 car's system. I hope this helps clear up some of the questions on this thread. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
the bar code? if anything is on the top of the disc it means nothing to the drive

i burnt the disc about a month ago, worked perfectly in the TL, and still using it now

make sure you burn it at the slowest (1x) speed
Definately make sure you are burning at 1x - 4x speed; like an ISO if you burn any faster it will sometimes drop files (nothing like installing Windows and you get an error that a file is missing). I was able to make a backup of my pioneer nav dvd (dual layer dvd of course); the unit I had was a single slot so to listen to music I had to eject the dvd. I didn't want the thing to get scratched up so I made a copy of it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sherwin991
Ok guys, I've read through this thread, and there's a lot of confusion, so I decided to give it a shot for the sole purpose of ending the debate. The original poster wanted to know if it was possible to make a backup copy of the NAV disk. The answer is yes. Here's what I used:
  • Ultra ISO v8.6.2.2011
  • Nero Digital version 6
  • Sony DL DVD Burner, Model DRU-801a
  • Memorex DVD+R DL (8.5GB) model m200-1100 (2.4x burn speed)

The source disk I used came from my 07 TL-S. It is the white label disk, Version 4.55A. Here's what I did to make a successful copy:
  1. Using Ultra ISO, I made an ISO image of the master disk (leave the image type as ISO)
  2. Note that I did not alter the title of the master disk when I saved the ISO (title was BTM070S55A)
  3. After Ultra ISO completed, I closed it, then opened Nero Burning ROM, went to File > Open > BTM070S55A.iso
  4. Dropped in a Memorex DVD+R DL in my Sony writer, and let it burn at 2.4x, then went to bed.
  5. Dropped the copied disk in the NAV reader in the car this morning, it came up fine, and even showed system info

Some notes:
1. I did not try copying the disk in my wife's '04, but may try later
2. This disk WILL NOT WORK in the 04-06 TL. If you check out the Acura Store site and try to buy a NAV update for an 06 TL, you'll see that the latest disk version is 3.60 while the latest disk version for the 07 TL is 4.56

If anyone has a 3.60 disk, PM me. I want to experiment with the 04 car's system. I hope this helps clear up some of the questions on this thread. Thanks.

But yes you were able to do the 07's 4.x disc......but most are having problems with the 3.x disc's. I have tried that exact method down to the same dvd disc's and it didn't work in backing up a 3.x disc.

So you ended the debate on 4.x disc's, be my guest to end it on the 3.x disc's
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Working on it.....

Originally Posted by lembowski
But yes you were able to do the 07's 4.x disc......but most are having problems with the 3.x disc's. I have tried that exact method down to the same dvd disc's and it didn't work in backing up a 3.x disc.

So you ended the debate on 4.x disc's, be my guest to end it on the 3.x disc's
I will try tonight. My wife's 04 TL has disk version 3.30G, and I will try to make a working backup using the same procedures that I used on my version 4.55A disk in my previous post.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sherwin991
I will try tonight. My wife's 04 TL has disk version 3.30G, and I will try to make a working backup using the same procedures that I used on my version 4.55A disk in my previous post.
I have tried to copy my 3.40 several ways with no luck:

1. Rip and burn with alcohol 120
2. Disc copy in nero 7
3. Rip with dvd decrypter burn with nero
4. Rip and burn with dvd decrypter

All using memorex +r dl media on a benq 1655 drive...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^Yeah I just think the way the files are structured is the problem on the 3.x disc's. And I think that changed on the 4.x disc's.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Quitters!!!!

Trying something new. Will update all in 2 hrs.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
ENTIRE NAVI COPY DIY WITH SETTINGS 4.xx+

I sucessfully burned the4.56A version disk for my MDX. It works and is running good. I used this method:
SOFTWARE:
ULTRAISO VERSION 8.6.2.2011
NERO BURNING ROM V7
HARDWARE:
VERBATIM DVD+R DL 8.5 gb, 2.4X, 240MIN*
HP LIGHTSCRIBE 640C DVD WRITER

COPYING THE NAVI DISK
1. Create disk image in UltraISO
1a. Here is a screenshot of the settings in it:

2. PUSH BUTTON IN TO CREATE IMAGE:
2A.
3. A NEW WINDOW SHOULD APPEAR, THESE SHOLD BE THE SETTINGS:
3A.
4. MAKE THE IMAGE OF THE NAVI DISK.

BURNING THE NEW IMAGE

1. OPEN NERO BURNING ROM
2. PUSH CANCEL ON WINDOW THAT ASK FOR STUFF
3. GO TO FILE-> OPEN -> MY DOCUMENTS -> MY ISO FILES -> MT070sxxx.ISO
3A.
4. THIS WINDOW SHOULD OPEN (SETTINGS SHALL AS FOLLOWS TOO):
4A.
4B.

THIS WORKED FOR MY mdx AND THE DISK IS WORKING WELL. HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU OUT.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Instructor

That's great, but can we confirm that this works for the 3rd Gen TL version 3.6?

Quick Reply: Burn DVD Nav disc?