Big problems... need help (Sub + Noise Cancellation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:59 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big problems... need help (Sub + Noise Cancellation)

I tried installing a sub-woofer system today in the new Type-S, and am having issues.

I used the signal from the factory sub, which I un hooked. I then ran that through a hi-low converter for my amp signal. The audio guys do it all the time, and it works fine...

HOWEVER...

When you close the doors, it activated the "active noise cancellation" feature, which uses the cars internal microphone to analyze and counteract any low "road noise" frequencies...

This is a huge problem, because the subwoofer just feeds back a low-range frequency the entire time. You can even turn the audio system OFF and since the noise cancellation is always on, it STILL feeds back...

Now I'm left with a $1200 set-up that I can't use at the moment. I need your help! I'm sure putting an entire set-up like a clean sweet MAY work, but I really want to avoid going that route, and spending that much extra time and money.

The guys at the shop are going to try a noise filter tomorrow, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

Is there ANY way we can disable the noise cancellation feature? I noticed it INSTANTLY turns off when you open any door, so there's obviously an ON/OFF capability...

Thanks guys

-Matt
Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Bump for help!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Bump for update:

Just so you guys know... I called JL audio today, and spoke with a tech. rep. He said that they ran into the same issue on the new TL, as well as a few other vehicles.

The only way to successfully eliminate it, is to un-plug the microphone that's used to pick-up the cabin noise. Supposedly it's different than the voice command mic. I called the guys at the audio shop and instructed them on this... I'll find out if it worked tonight!

He said even installing the clean sweep doesn't matter... the system just needs to be disabled.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice... so you have to completely elimate the ANC feature to use your sub? That sucks.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Nice... so you have to completely elimate the ANC feature to use your sub? That sucks.
Yep... most of us will have to do that, unless they figure something else out, since the sub is actually used to "eliminate" the noise...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Racer

Please let us know how it goes...and noise level without noise cancel...
Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Ok guys... problem solved...

The only way to use an aftermarket sub if you plan on keeping the stock audio system, which is very hard NOT to do... is do disable the noise cancelling...

The noise cancelling uses the factory sub woofer and other speakers to accomplish the actual "cancelling" so the cancelling effect is multiplied like 10x when using an aftermarket sub woofer...

I called JL audio and spoke with their tech support. He said I had to disable it, and instructed me how to do it.

You have to remove the plastic trip by the front dome light, and unplug the SMALL microphone. The two large slots are for the voice recognition system, which wont be affected. There's also a SECOND microphone behind the dome light in the rear of the car.

Once they're disconnected, problem solved. It's easy to reverse as well.

Unforunately, there's no alternate solution at the moment that I know or, or the JL rep for that matter.

I could not tell a difference in noise, especially since I almost ALWAYS listen to music. I suppose if you turned everything off, it might make a small difference, but I couldn't tell. Maybe a dB meter would help, but I couldn't really notice a difference.

Remember guys, this ONLY applies to the '07 Type-S
Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
why not turn off power to the sub when it is off, so there is a main switch so the noise still works with the other speakers.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by csmeance
why not turn off power to the sub when it is off, so there is a main switch so the noise still works with the other speakers.
Well, I never drive without music, hardly ever...

Plus, the system really doesn't work THAT well, to justify it... especially with just the door speakers.

I turned my system off last night, and cruised on the freeway with no music. The car is still extremely quiet, and I couldn't notice a difference. I think the whole thing is kinda silly...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Racer

Is this an issue only with the 2007 Type S ? There are many others on here that have aftermarket subs installed in their TL's and I have never heard them complain about this issue.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced

I Did My 07 Type-s System Upgrade And I Ran To The Same Problem. All You Have To Do Is Disconnect A Little Gray Box Behind Your Center Channel And That Will Fix Your Problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced

I'LL BE POSTING PICTURE SOON OF MY SYSTEM MAKE OVER
Old 01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by WILLV
I Did My 07 Type-s System Upgrade And I Ran To The Same Problem. All You Have To Do Is Disconnect A Little Gray Box Behind Your Center Channel And That Will Fix Your Problem.
Ahhh... the module? Cool. I wasn't sure if unplugging the module was going to give the computer a problem fault, but I guess it works.

I really don't notice a difference in noise over the past few weeks, now.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Converted
Well, I never drive without music, hardly ever...

Plus, the system really doesn't work THAT well, to justify it... especially with just the door speakers.

I turned my system off last night, and cruised on the freeway with no music. The car is still extremely quiet, and I couldn't notice a difference. I think the whole thing is kinda silly...
I feel the exact same way. Test drove an '06 TL and '06 RL before I settled on the TL. '06 RL has the active noise cancellation, '06 TL doesn't. I didn't notice any difference in the cabin noise between the two vehicles. I think the active noise cancellation is kind of a gimmick. And, one thing that is bad is that usually with the noise cancellation, the car makers feel like they can skimp on the "real" noise cancellation things like sound deadening material throughout the cabin. *shrug* I was just expecting a huge difference in the RL but couldn't really tell.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
I feel the exact same way. Test drove an '06 TL and '06 RL before I settled on the TL. '06 RL has the active noise cancellation, '06 TL doesn't. I didn't notice any difference in the cabin noise between the two vehicles. I think the active noise cancellation is kind of a gimmick. And, one thing that is bad is that usually with the noise cancellation, the car makers feel like they can skimp on the "real" noise cancellation things like sound deadening material throughout the cabin. *shrug* I was just expecting a huge difference in the RL but couldn't really tell.
I've used noise cancelling headphones, and those make a BIG difference, but I can't see it being that effective in a car like that...
Old 03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Pro

for those with type s'. you only need to disconnect the rear microphone to fix the sub problem. just thought this might help save some time....
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
for those with type s'. you only need to disconnect the rear microphone to fix the sub problem. just thought this might help save some time....
Nice!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Pro

nice was this thread. saved me a butt load of time when my sub started vibrating like there was no tomorrow.. I'll by you a drink if you are ever in town

Nice!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
nice was this thread. saved me a butt load of time when my sub started vibrating like there was no tomorrow.. I'll by you a drink if you are ever in town
Haha... sounds good!

I think I was the first person to go through this... so when it happened to me, I was SOL until I got ahold of a reputable JL audio rep...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 AM
10th Gear

Bump for update:

Just so you guys know... I called JL audio today, and spoke with a tech. rep. He said that they ran into the same issue on the new TL, as well as a few other vehicles.

The only way to successfully eliminate it, is to un-plug the microphone that's used to pick-up the cabin noise. Supposedly it's different than the voice command mic. I called the guys at the audio shop and instructed them on this... I'll find out if it worked tonight!

He said even installing the clean sweep doesn't matter... the system just needs to be disabled.
the clean sweep isnt any good. sound gate makes a better unit with more options for future projects
Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Wow, You have no idea how glad I am that I found this thread...

So Now comes the obvious question... How do I get to the rear mic? Does that little plastic cover just pop off or is there something specific I need to do to get to it? Is it really only the rear mic?
Do you know I have been struggling with this for a month going through everything you can think of including multiple amps.
I feel stupid it is something like this after everything I have been through but I am so glad to finally get it resolved.
Thanks for posting this and thanks for the help getting to that mic.
-Paul
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced

ummm...

one question, are you still using your factory sub?

if you are, your definitely gonna get some bad feedback. reason being, your aftermarket subs are causing the factory sub to move, and since you hooked up the high low converter to that factory sub its sending a signal back to your amp, this is going in a loop causing that bad vibration. easy fix is to unplug your factory sub.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the quick response. Yep, the factory sub is still hooked up. That is where it is tapped in so that the sub controls on the Audio setup control the after market sub...
Do you think that alone is causing the issue? My feedback goes away when I open my driver side door.

Thank you SO much again. I am guessing what you described originally is what gave my Alpine Amp a Floating ground and sent it into protection?

Cheers,
-Paul
Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced

it should go away, I've worked sooo many vehicles that have had this issue, reason why it goes away when you open the doors or trunk, is because you've released the pressure from the interior.

just give it a try, easy to disconnect and if it doesnt work, easily put back on.
this way, you do not have to disable the rear mic (didnt even know that there was one)
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced

So can I just pull the plug on the Stock Sub itself but still use those wires for my tap and control it from the screen? Sorry for the newb questions...

BTW, I have the N80 as well and it has all sorts of issues from time to time. Phone rings, I pick it up and then I can't hear anything or they can't hear me. Phone book transfer didn't work for me but I have a lot of contacts. I only brought it up b/c I saw your post on the N80 and I don't think a lot of people have this phone. I also have the 8800 in black.

Thanks again

The rear Mic is only for the 07 TLS and the RL for Active Noise Cancellation...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Nope, It has to be the rear Mic for the Noise cancellation. I guess the last time the guys were playing in the trunk they did disable the factory sub and tapped in further up the wires. We have tried it both ways and I still think what you described is what caused the floating ground in my original amp but the issue has to be the mic.

So back to the original question, do you just pop the mic cover off?

Thanks in advance,
-Paul
Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced

hmm, thats funny about the phone, just be sure its updated to the newest firmware i've got v4.0632.0.38 to check, just press *#0000#.

as for the sub, yeah unplug the sub but be sure that the wires that you tapped into are the outputs of the deck the colors are (pos) yellow/ black (neg) light green/ red

ahh, sorry then, forget this post. but, i havent had any issues with my subs, had the same problem as you did, but this worked for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Yep, It is tapped into the Deck Outputs on the y/b and light green wires. Originally it was tapped on the stock sub input cables which is what I think hosed the Alpine. Now the sub is unplugged at the adapter and the wires are tapped just prior to the adapter.
It is definitely the Noise canceling Mic so I just need to know how to get to that to disconnect it now.

I am going to upgrade the firmware of the phone now

Thanks for all your help. You don't know how to get to the rear mic in the 07 TLS do you
I have never had this issue before with all the subs I have put in. This is new to the 07's with the Noise cancellation only.
Thanks again,
-paul
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Pro

yes you just pop off the rear dome light cover you will see it underneath. and yes you only have to unplug the rear one!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Damn, those things are tight huh? I can't even get my hand in to pop it off. Am I going to snap the thing if I use a screwdriver for leverage? Are their clips anywhere I should be popping?
Sorry for being such a pain...
-Paul
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

Issues with sub noise on '07 TL Type S

Instructions on unplugging the rear mic.

1. Use a small tip straight screw driver to pop out the plastic coverings for the lights.
Try prying each out from the center of the whole lighting fixture.

2. Unscrew two scews that hold the lighting fixture in place.
Use a wrench , it's easier.

3. Remove the fixture from its place and leave dangling.

4. Above the light fixture you will find a wire with a green clip.

5. Detach this clip.
If you pinch the clip from the top it slides out easily.

6. Reattach light fixture - Enjoy your new clean bass.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Hmm, how ironic. I searched like a demon for this problem and never found anything, guess i used the wrong search words.
Anyway, I just posted the same topic and have the same issues. Converted advised me that the rear mic cover just pops off--the ain't so. I broke a piece off mine, it's up there good. Haven't touched it further.
Also, my factory sub IS unplugged and I still get the noise.

Do we have a final solution yet ?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Jack pot!! Thanks so much for solving the mystery.

Bass-on everyone, bass-on
Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Lead Foot

Thanks a bunch guys, this helped me out a lot!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor

noise...

do all the tl's have that noise sensor? or just the new tl-s..... im concern because im planning to do the same set up on my 04 tl no navi
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by kaliman
do all the tl's have that noise sensor? or just the new tl-s..... im concern because im planning to do the same set up on my 04 tl no navi

It's really not that much to read the whole thread.

Ok guys... problem solved...

Remember guys, this ONLY applies to the '07 Type-S

Originally Posted by psolk

The rear Mic is only for the 07 TLS and the RL for Active Noise Cancellation...

Don't think the 04's have an kind of Active Noise Cancellation either.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM
7th Gear

ok got it wow guys thanks alot! big help
Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 PM
8th Gear

Nice!
I still have a problem after disconnecting the mics, any other suggestions??
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by WILLV
What connector did you disconnect on the ANC box behind the center channel
Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 AM
Advanced

ok i just installed my sub and amp in my 07' tls and ran into the same problem and to be honest i am extremely confused at this point. If i disconnect the rear mic what will that do. Can I still use the bluetooth in my car normally. Sorry I'm new to this and am not sure what will be affected if i disconnnect the rear mic. I read the whole thread but can someone give me some additional details.

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Big problems... need help (Sub + Noise Cancellation)