Amp by Jesse Kelley Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One quick additional thing on this amp. Are they saying that a stock 07-08 amp will still sound better than the tuned 04-06 amp? I didn't realize the 07-08 amp was different. Would it not be more beneficial to me then to just replace my amp with a stock 07-08 amp?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'll chime in.

This past week, I placed an order with Marcus for a J.L. Kelley Signature Series Amp with upgraded, re-tuned tweeters. Should be here in a few days. I will install once I get some free time. The rest of my audio is completely stock. It's actually the only part of the vehicle I didn't touch. I don't want heavy Bass, just want the clearest sounding system with a decent kick. Being 31, I don't care for heavy bass. Most manufactures have stepped up big and offer some great audio systems from stock. For example, my buddy's Lexus RX350 F-Sport has the upgraded Mark Levinson sound system. All I can say is WOW.. Compared to his 2017 MDX (Tech Package) it blows Acura out of the water. I've sat in a GLE63 that also had the upgraded audio system which was down right incredible. Even the standard system is pretty incredible.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I'll chime in.

This past week, I placed an order with Marcus for a J.L. Kelley Signature Series Amp with upgraded, re-tuned tweeters. Should be here in a few days. I will install once I get some free time. The rest of my audio is completely stock. It's actually the only part of the vehicle I didn't touch. I don't want heavy Bass, just want the clearest sounding system with a decent kick. Being 31, I don't care for heavy bass. Most manufactures have stepped up big and offer some great audio systems from stock. For example, my buddy's Lexus RX350 F-Sport has the upgraded Mark Levinson sound system. All I can say is WOW.. Compared to his 2017 MDX (Tech Package) it blows Acura out of the water. I've sat in a GLE63 that also had the upgraded audio system which was down right incredible. Even the standard system is pretty incredible.
Let me know what you think. I think I'm looking for the same sound you are. The factory amp should have enough power for me, the sound is just very distorted. The stock bass is particularly bad. I don't need more, just want it clean. Also, did you get the 07-08 amp or the 04-06 amp?

I keep researching what to do with this car but I really like how integrated everything is so I'd like to keep the factory sub. Every other mod seems like it would start overpowering the sub.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (05-03-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I'll chime in.

following and looking forward to your review!
04WDPSeDaN (05-03-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I was able to hear one these modifications the other day in a local car... Although it sounded pretty good, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't just replace it for the time and money it takes to have this modification done. The subwoofer is still lacking tremendously despite the apparent sonic upgrade and I understand the want to stay "stock" but once you start pulling the amp out for mods you've already decided to go "non-stock". I would be curious to see how many people upgraded the front stage and subsequently had to upgrade the subwoofer just to keep up. Ultimately it will cost the same if not more in the end... do it right and do it once.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bchester6:
04WDPSeDaN (05-03-2017), sockr1 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Bchester6
I was able to hear one these modifications the other day in a local car... Although it sounded pretty good, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't just replace it for the time and money it takes to have this modification done. The subwoofer is still lacking tremendously despite the apparent sonic upgrade and I understand the want to stay "stock" but once you start pulling the amp out for mods you've already decided to go "non-stock". I would be curious to see how many people upgraded the front stage and subsequently had to upgrade the subwoofer just to keep up. Ultimately it will cost the same if not more in the end... do it right and do it once.
There is a huge difference in swapping out a plug and play amp vs going non-stock in the amount of effort being expended. These days I have zero interest to taking apart my entire car to run cables, install speakers, and attempting to put it back together. I just don't have the time nor the motivation anymore. Buying an amp that resolves the basic issues with my aging car that I can install in an hour by just pulling a single panel and swapping out the amp....heck yeah!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Pro

Oh I get it but that's exactly what my buddy said when he had it done and now he's installing an aftermarket sub just to balance the front stage out. Time and energy not well spent but we're gonna rally and get it done for good and it should only take a few hours. Running cable and doing this kind of "mindless" stuff is much better for me than the mental torture I have to endure at work so I don't mind at all and two people working at the same time is a breeze. Hell if you lived near by I would help you out for the small cost of a breakfast burrito!! For some, once you go down the hole (car audio) it gets to be a slippery slope and for some others not so much but like I said, I would be curious to find out how many did the upgrade and had to add an aftermarket sub to balance their system out.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Oh I get it but that's exactly what my buddy said when he had it done and now he's installing an aftermarket sub just to balance the front stage out. Time and energy not well spent but we're gonna rally and get it done for good and it should only take a few hours. Running cable and doing this kind of "mindless" stuff is much better for me than the mental torture I have to endure at work so I don't mind at all and two people working at the same time is a breeze. Hell if you lived near by I would help you out for the small cost of a breakfast burrito!! For some, once you go down the hole (car audio) it gets to be a slippery slope and for some others not so much but like I said, I would be curious to find out how many did the upgrade and had to add an aftermarket sub to balance their system out.
i was talking to the guy last night and he did say he personally would still run an aftermarket sub.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by jeffgt14
Let me know what you think. I think I'm looking for the same sound you are. The factory amp should have enough power for me, the sound is just very distorted. The stock bass is particularly bad. I don't need more, just want it clean. Also, did you get the 07-08 amp or the 04-06 amp?

I keep researching what to do with this car but I really like how integrated everything is so I'd like to keep the factory sub. Every other mod seems like it would start overpowering the sub.
Originally Posted by jzhu625
following and looking forward to your review!

I got the 04-06 Amp because I wanted to make sure there was no issues. So I received my order yesterday. Unpacked everything, which was packaged very well, I noticed on the amp and the tweeters J.L. had placed stickers on everything and even signed with a marker his name on the amp. You can see where the modifications were made to the tweeters but unless you open the amp, it looks the same. Now, the next part is because i'm OCD with minor details. Obviously these items are from other "Cores" which J.L does his work on. So it's not new and there's a big trust that whatever is given back to him is indeed in good condition. The tweeters were a bit dirty, which again, only because i'm OCD with it. I took the covers apart and just cleaned them. Now, the moment where everything is swapped and test time. The sound is clear, some parts sound a bit deeper and when maxing out on the VOL. the sound doesn't get distorted. So, it's still clear, sounds a bit better but is it worth the cost? Perhaps if you take the money spent and invest more for mid range to top end components, i'd say that would be a better route. If you're looking for getting the MOST out of the stock system and can settle that it won't be the best thing, this route is for you. Here are some photos for reference.

Name:  20170502_203722_zpsqncpzl5y.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  245.8 KB
Name:  20170502_203627_zpsnbwfevay.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  215.2 KB
Name:  20170502_203614_zpsyaay8irn.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  219.0 KB
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced

I got the 04-06 Amp because I wanted to make sure there was no issues. So I received my order yesterday. Unpacked everything, which was packaged very well, I noticed on the amp and the tweeters J.L. had placed stickers on everything and even signed with a marker his name on the amp. You can see where the modifications were made to the tweeters but unless you open the amp, it looks the same. Now, the next part is because i'm OCD with minor details. Obviously these items are from other "Cores" which J.L does his work on. So it's not new and there's a big trust that whatever is given back to him is indeed in good condition. The tweeters were a bit dirty, which again, only because i'm OCD with it. I took the covers apart and just cleaned them. Now, the moment where everything is swapped and test time. The sound is clear, some parts sound a bit deeper and when maxing out on the VOL. the sound doesn't get distorted. So, it's still clear, sounds a bit better but is it worth the cost? Perhaps if you take the money spent and invest more for mid range to top end components, i'd say that would be a better route. If you're looking for getting the MOST out of the stock system and can settle that it won't be the best thing, this route is for you. Here are some photos for reference.

Thanks man. Does it sound like it would be better with an aftermarket amp?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by jeffgt14
Thanks man. Does it sound like it would be better with an aftermarket amp?

I'm sure an upgraded amp on a stock system would be better but overall a complete overhaul is still the best option. I upgraded my wife's audio in her Optima. I didn't change the amp because the installer said it wasn't needed. The sound was better but nothing like night and day. So having experience on diamond audio components with kicker sub and hifonics amp vs audio components with stock amp vs stock audio with modified stock amp the winner is still having the system overhauled with quality components. Not knocking this modification, it's still the best if you want to better your stock audio without killing the bank.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
New owner here, 2004 base, also debating whether to shell out the money for this amp upgrade. Not sure what the previous owner did, but the rear speakers don't work at all. There is a small rectangular black box tapped into the stock amp with RCA cables ran to the trunk.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fishinmagician
New owner here, 2004 base, also debating whether to shell out the money for this amp upgrade. Not sure what the previous owner did, but the rear speakers don't work at all. There is a small rectangular black box tapped into the stock amp with RCA cables ran to the trunk.
That's a line out converter for an aftermarket amplifier. The previous owner spliced into the rear speakers to get signal to power on the amp in the trunk. Pics are cool too?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a line out converter for an aftermarket amplifier. The previous owner spliced into the rear speakers to get signal to power on the amp in the trunk. Pics are cool too?
Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling that's what it was, but I am confused as to which cables go where into the amp. I will post pictures soon, my car is at the mechanic right now getting a new motor mount
Old 05-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Pro

There should be RCA jacks that go out from LOC and directly into the amp inputs.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in the modded stock radio or amp, i will be selling mine as i am selling my car.

The radio and amp works for a 2007-2008 type s
Old 01-31-2021, 02:12 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Does anyone know what capacitors were replaced in this “upgrade”? And how many? What size? Etc.....

looking to possibly do this on my own....
Old 01-31-2021, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Does anyone know what capacitors were replaced in this “upgrade”? And how many? What size? Etc.....

looking to possibly do this on my own....
the OEM amp has 1 4.7uF@50, 1 2.2@50, 12 1uF@50s, 6 3.3uF@50, 2 10uF@50, 6 .47uF@50, 4 470uF@16, a pair of 1000s@16 and 1 100uF@50. the via on the 4.7 and 2.2 are a pain, but with the right tools and chemicals it cleans out well. The via on the .47s are fragile, if you shift them, you might as well replace the board as it is a multilayer. The trace line to the 3ch opamp is a bit weak, we beef ours up if we can. The VCAs should be upgraded as well. all 4 opamps and the single stage fet as well. I use a hot air tool for this. We also use an ultrasonic cleaner on the boards to assure a solid foundation free of contamination. In the last year we began to anodize our cases black to remove heat faster from the amp chips. lemme know if you have any other questions.

Jesse

P.S. we will be releasing our new tweeters in the next couple weeks. Semi High end drivers that are 1300-20000 Hz that look oem and have harness adaptors. Feel free to hit me up with questions.
The following 4 users liked this post by C2CuSn07 TL:
csmeance (01-31-2021), gatrhumpy (02-07-2021), mpken (02-02-2021), Slpr04UA6 (02-01-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by C2CuSn07 TL
the OEM amp has 1 4.7uF@50, 1 2.2@50, 12 1uF@50s, 6 3.3uF@50, 2 10uF@50, 6 .47uF@50, 4 470uF@16, a pair of 1000s@16 and 1 100uF@50. the via on the 4.7 and 2.2 are a pain, but with the right tools and chemicals it cleans out well. The via on the .47s are fragile, if you shift them, you might as well replace the board as it is a multilayer. The trace line to the 3ch opamp is a bit weak, we beef ours up if we can. The VCAs should be upgraded as well. all 4 opamps and the single stage fet as well. I use a hot air tool for this. We also use an ultrasonic cleaner on the boards to assure a solid foundation free of contamination. In the last year we began to anodize our cases black to remove heat faster from the amp chips. lemme know if you have any other questions.

Jesse

P.S. we will be releasing our new tweeters in the next couple weeks. Semi High end drivers that are 1300-20000 Hz that look oem and have harness adaptors. Feel free to hit me up with questions.
Thanks for the info! This update made me interested in purchasing a phantom Amp vs trying to do the DIY. Can you share the best site to purchase this (looking for just the Amp upgrade to replace my bad one)?

Old 06-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
https://phantomaudiosound.com
Call us at 260-301-1798
I sent him my OEM amp for the upgrade ..
​​​​​​
​​​
Originally Posted by nats007
Thanks for the info! This update made me interested in purchasing a phantom Amp vs trying to do the DIY. Can you share the best site to purchase this (looking for just the Amp upgrade to replace my bad one)?
Old 06-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
FYI I got one of his amps and it's def an improvement over the broken one I had after 17 yrs. Certainly not the improvement that an aftermarket one gives but for being plug and play I'm pretty happy.
Slpr04UA6 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I guess for a plug and play solution it may be attractive, but in reality the costs are very similar to doing an aftermarket setup that is far superior. This vehicle is not a simple one to modify and it takes planning and research but the results are worthwhile. I can see the demand for this, but it is not for sonic quality, but for simplicity.
The following 2 users liked this post by pohljm:
csmeance (06-05-2021), sockr1 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
I guess for a plug and play solution it may be attractive, but in reality the costs are very similar to doing an aftermarket setup that is far superior. This vehicle is not a simple one to modify and it takes planning and research but the results are worthwhile. I can see the demand for this, but it is not for sonic quality, but for simplicity.
you've worded it very well!