THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianp6621
I finally got the PA11-HON2Y installed. Everything works great but I had one expectation that wasn't met. I thought that since the ipod pauses under all other circumstances the ipod would also pause when HFL is activated but this is not the case.

Oh well, can't have everything.
I miss that feature as well, since I listen to so many audiobooks. The Griffin Smartdeck tape adapter did that - it's the only thing I miss from that solution.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro

The smartdeck worked for you? IIRC I didn't even get audio in my TL with it. I had tried it before the TL and returned it because it provided audio but non of the other controls worked except pause when the tape paused, and rebought it when I got my TL and it didn't work AT ALL.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I sent them an email as well but haven't received a reply yet. Have a call in to a local dealer who is going to try and contact them since you can't by phone (even though their contact us webpage has a nice little graphic of a woman on the phone).

Anyone have a direct phone number for them?

Now I guess I have to wait until I can get the updated part.
Yeah, I've sent two emails over the last week for an RA update on my existing PA11-HON2 with no response.

Guys, I just spoke to a local dealer(SF Bay Area) of the USASpec and he is willing to do the new part at $119 if I can get 4 orders together. He said USA Spec said they would have them shippable the later part of this week.

Anyone interested?
I'm definitely interested, what's thier #?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bTwix
Yeah, I've sent two emails over the last week for an RA update on my existing PA11-HON2 with no response.

I'm definitely interested, what's thier #?
Check over here

I am still working out the details and once I do, I will let you guys know to go ahead and order or order through me (depening on how it turns out)

Are you local?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

The smartdeck worked for you? IIRC I didn't even get audio in my TL with it. I had tried it before the TL and returned it because it provided audio but non of the other controls worked except pause when the tape paused, and rebought it when I got my TL and it didn't work AT ALL.
It didn't work at all the first time I tried it, and then on a whim I tried it again, hit the reverse direction button, and it worked fine from then on. It was actually pretty nice, although no where near as nice as the USASPEC.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ronbarr
It didn't work at all the first time I tried it, and then on a whim I tried it again, hit the reverse direction button, and it worked fine from then on. It was actually pretty nice, although no where near as nice as the USASPEC.
Good to know, but yeah, now that I have the USASpec installed and working, there is no looking back.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Instructor

I'm getting the new version soon (PA11-HON2y 2003-Up Honda/Acura Audio) but after finishing reading this whole thread, i was wondering will it show the title of the songs on top of dash unit? Also, what is the cheapest price and where? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
No, the USA Spec will not show your song titles on top of the dash nor on the nav screen. This is the same for both the original PA11-HON2 and the newer PA11-HON2y.

Other than the Valor iLink (with Dom's TVandNav2Go), nothing will display titles from your iPod on your navi screen.

The Harmon Kardon Drive+Play will display titles on its own little screen.

Look at the end of this post for popular online vendors.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:37 PM
ABPimpin

So i think i know how to get it installed, but a couple of questions.

If I'm going to do the half-assed install and not remove any trim pieces:

What are my options in where to place the brain of the unit? How/where are the wires ran for these spots? And where does the ipod side of the cable run/end up?

Is there an easy way to route the ipod cable into one of the dash compartments in the center console (under the navi screen)

Thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

Does anyone know if this USASpec unit is compatible with 07 TLs? I know it is probably to early to tell, but this little box is by far the best solution I have run into for iPod integration.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 AM
9th Gear

My advice to all Acura TL owners is to buy the PA11-HON2y and not the PA11-HON2 especially if you have XM or Navigation or both.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced

USASPEC Install

I'm assuming this is the definitive post, and since all of you have taken your time to put up so much helpful info, I figured I'd share my experience.

Sorry, no pix. There are tons in this thread and several others.

Stuff I have
2005 TL 6MT non-NAVI
30GB black "video" iPod flashed to the latest software as of 2/3
"y" version of the USASPEC adapter (brand new) - set to Direct Mode

Tools I used
Long flathead screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
Paint can opener
Shop towel
Two butter knives (snapped the tip off one - see below)
Dremel - essential - see below
Dixie cup for containing all the screws

Tools I *should* have used
Trim tool
Power screwdriver (batteries were dead)

Installation
I tried the quick and dirty method, but being 6'3" and having rather large hands, I just couldn't get the wiring harness out. It ended up being a good thing as I later found out.

I then embarked on removing the drivers side aluminum trim. I started at the armrest and moved my way forward. Someone had mentioned a butter knife and a shop towel, which generally worked. I was afraid of bending the aluminum, so it took me awhile to build up enough courage to really pry the thing off. In hindsight, I should have used a trim tool. At one point, somewhere near the radio knob, I pushed a little too hard and snapped the butter knife's tip off. I'd really suggest a trim tool. After some more prying with the long flathead screwdriver wrapped in the shop towel, it came off. Moral of the story - pry, pry away, but use the right tool.

I then removed the mat at the bottom of the armrest and unscrewed those two screws. While you don't need to remove the entire armrest, this is still a necessary step. I removed a pair of screws near the front left of the cupholder.

I then removed the plastic screw on the bottom right of the panel directly under the steering wheel (also containing the VSA button and the mirror controls. One screw, 19 million clips. I *should* have removed the entire thing, but i figured I could kinda get by without it. Bad call.

Then it was off to the knee panel. This thing sucks. I took the three screws out, and it wasn't any more loose than before. I had to pry with both the butter knife and the screwdriver, pretty hard actually, before the damn thing came off. The toughest one is at the top of the panel, directly under the MID control buttons. This took a ton of force, and I'm not a wimpy guy. Be careful not to scratch the plastic-rubber-whatever that thing is made of.

Here's why you should take the panel with the VSA button off - when I was attempting to get the knee panel out, I snapped off one of the two tabs that go inside of the armrest trim piece (right below where the heated seat buttons are) . This would not have happened if I had removed that panel, so don't cut corners. Crazy glue got it back on, thankfully.

Once all the panels were off, it was still a pain to get the wiring harness out. I used the paint can opener to eventually wiggle it out. I then connected the USASPEC harness to the radio (not that hard, actually), and then connected the XM harness to the USASPEC one. I debated about where to put the box, since I'm really picky about rattles I can't find. I ended up using a wire snake (that you'd use in your house) to snake the cable from the radio directly to the bottom part of the armrest (take the bottom panel out first).

Since I never use that box, I figured it would be an easy place to put this. I ran the dock connector cable up to the top tier of the box. I took that bottom panel out. I used my trusty Dremel to first drill and then sand a half-circle cutout for the cable. I cut a similar shape into the rubber mat to match.

I tested several times throughout to ensure everything works. This is a result of past botched stereo installs, so I highly recommend it.

Reinstallation was a relative breeze, except waiting for the Krazy glue to dry from that broken tab mentioned above.

Testing
Once it was all said and done, I took the car out for a drive. In Direct Mode, over a half hour or so, it didn't skip or error once. The controls worked perfectly, and the sound was outstanding. The iPod was charging the entire time. I haven't tried Playlist Mode, but I think it'll be a little restrictive for the way I normally use my iPod.

Lessons Learned
1. Get a trim tool and use it.
2. Take off all panels. It might be a pain, but it's worth it.
3. Use a power screwdriver to save about 15 minutes on each end.
4. The sound quality is WAY better than a tape adapter or an FM Modulator
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Discount Car Stereo purchase

Just thought I would inform Canadians NOT to purchase products from Discount Car Stereo as they won't honor warranty on my PA11-HON2. As most of you know the unit is flaky .
They where willing to sell it to me and ship it to Canada but when I asked about getting a replacement unit things changed. They won't honor the warranty because I have a Canadian vehicle (made in the USA).

Needless to say I'm not happy about the situation and consider Discount Car Stereo to be dishonest in their dealings with me.

Sell me the unit knowing it's a Canadian order and then don't warranty it, jerks!

I saw some posts here regarding a possible fix for the unit so i've contacted USA Spec to see if they can do something for me so that the product is more reliable.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered P.I.M.P

Originally Posted by Jmark
Just thought I would inform Canadians NOT to purchase products from Discount Car Stereo as they won't honor warranty on my PA11-HON2. As most of you know the unit is flaky .
For canadians you can order it from http://www.ipodforautos.ca/ .

However they are just a distributor. If your having problems you will still need to contact usa spec. I've emailed them twice with no response. I'm just waiting until they announce an update. I'm having various issues with my unit.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Are there any better options then the ones listed in this thread? I have a 06 TL with Navi. I want to get an aux plug in for my non-ipod. This thread looks to be more than a year old. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try looking at the other threads. DICE and Peripheral make some good units.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
tan
Cruisin'

nice work done...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Is it necessary to name the playlists in this way... "honda1", "honda2", etc.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just want to say that I am new to 04 TL and this forum.

The great info here was of great help in the installation of my USA Spec
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
5th Gear

Has anyone used the Peripheral un it. I only see it sold on ebay
Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought they'll release a new unit soon... they supposed to release in late Q1, or early Q2, then heard that they had some issues and still delayed....
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
5th Gear

can you tell me if the pheriferial un it on ebay is the new one or an older unit?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM
6th Gear

Hi All,

Looks like i am a few years late to this thread but i just got a 2005 TL and i need my MP3s....

looked around for the usaspec models listed here but they are discontinued now.. all i can find on discountcarstereo.com is whats here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/sea...=search&page=1

can anyone tell me which i should buy? all of them list acura so i am confused.

thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
10th Gear

i just ordered this from amazon, after much reading on the USA-SPEC and the iSimple, decided to try the iSimple. here's the link for it from the manufactures site http://isimplesolutions.com/iphone-i...n-GateWay.aspx and the link to amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Prhyme
i just ordered this from amazon, after much reading on the USA-SPEC and the iSimple, decided to try the iSimple. here's the link for it from the manufactures site http://isimplesolutions.com/iphone-i...n-GateWay.aspx and the link to amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AO2BXF3XN7GAN
I dont have an Iphone, but it looks like it has a AUX input i can use for my Samsung Galaxy S2? Any suggestion on other devices or will this will do the job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
I dont have an Iphone, but it looks like it has a AUX input i can use for my Samsung Galaxy S2? Any suggestion on other devices or will this will do the job?

Thanks in advance.
it will work for anything that has a 3.5mm jack. but with an iphone/ipod it will charge the device and alot you to control it with the factory head unit. the 04-06 tl doesnt come with a aux input but the 07-08 does inside the center console.